What are the "definitive" recordings of JW's Star Wars concert pieces?

TheAvengerButton

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

He didn't rewrite the theme, it's a different concert arrangement of the exact same theme. 

And I guess the new Marion's theme arrangement from 2008 is another example, though that arrangement is closer to the world of Raiders than this one is to Empire 

#pedantalert… doesn’t the second phrase of the new concert arrangement end differently? The original phrase has an additional note (which is one reason the new version hasn’t really gelled with me plus, as others have noted, the sound world It inhabits doesn’t sound like the one of the original score). 

Nearly there...

Luke & Leia

[fun fact - this piece has the widest tempo variety, from under 4.5 minutes (Boston) to very nearly 6 minutes (Utah)]

OST, LSO/Williams: All present and correct, very nicely played. Just the usual caveats about the sound quality, especially on the RCA set.

NPO/Gerhardt: Quite a bit slower than the OST, although the strings really pick up the pace at 2:01 for some reason that sounds a little jarring after such a gentle opening pace. At 3:17, the pianist starts pounding away like they're auditioning for a Rachmaninov piano concerto, which is a bit unnecessary.

Boston Pops/Williams: Feels slightly slower, although overall it clocks in 20 seconds faster than the OST! Actually, it picks up pace later on, so that probably explains that. String tone is much better than the OST recording, but that's not difficult.

Utah SO/Kojian: Goodness me, this is far too slow. Maybe they were trying to make up for the ridiculously fast pace of the Imperial March. Or maybe they were falling asleep. Huge kudos to Jeffrey Kirschon, the horn soloist, who must have been breathing through his ears to play it at this funereal pace without asphyxiating on the spot, but otherwise this one has to be ruled out.

Skywalker SO/Williams: Leisurely but not ludicrously slow. At 2:28 there's that funny noise again on the string notes that I noted in Leia's Theme on the same recording. No idea what they were doing - sniffing loudly?

My verdict: Boston, unless the tempo's too quick for you. The OST would probably be the best if it weren't for the lamentable sound quality. One day, my friends, one happy day...

And finally:

The Forest Battle

OST, LSO/Williams: Pretty sprightly - this is the fastest tempo in this list! The horns are great in this - varying their tone as necessary. At this speed, the main tune really does sound 'Can-Can-ish' as my music score says.

NPO/Gerhardt (titled Battle in the Forest - whatever): Fractionally slower. Percussion at 1:05 is a little too Swiss-Cattle-Herder for my liking. Gets slightly lost at 1:36, but pulls back quickly. The deal-breaker, though is the accelerando in the final bars before the rall on the final bar which turns the whole thing into an anticlimax. What a shame.

Boston Pops/Williams: Almost exactly the same tempo as the OST, which of course you might expect when he only conducted it a few months earlier - but that wasn't the case with Luke & Leia! Percussion cuts through more than on other recordings, but all the odd instrumentation is part of the fun of this piece. There's just as much Swiss-Cattle metalwork as there was with Boston, though.

Utah SO/Kojian: Again, pretty much the same tempo and with good ensemble and sprightly shifts between sections. Percussion is a little more civilised and less rustic than with the NPO and Boston. If you're playlisting this one, you might want to be aware that the final reverberant decay is cut off as the track goes straight into the End Credits on the next track, but this will only bother the very fussy (and we don't have any of them on JWFan, right?).

Skywalker SO/Williams: Tempo is a bit slower on this one, as we've seen with other tracks on this disc. It also sounds just that little bit more safe and relaxed, which doesn't really fit with the theme of the piece. There's the tiniest hint of a rall on the last bar which made me pull a face.

My verdict: I'm going to go with Utah, but, as long as you don't go for Gerhardt, there really isn't much in this one so don't lose sleep over it. Once again, the OST would probably ace this if it weren't for... well, you know.

You mention problems about the sound quailty with ROTJ, but while the 1997 2CD set is messed up, surely you own the original single CD, the 1993 anthology, or the 2018 demaster, which all sound better?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

He didn't rewrite the theme, it's a different concert arrangement of the exact same theme. 

And I guess the new Marion's theme arrangement from 2008 is another example, though that arrangement is closer to the world of Raiders than this one is to Empire 

As is often the case I don't have the vocabulary for it, but for most of the new arrangement (not all of it as I had wrongly remembered) the end of the theme is different. He plays the original theme once at the outset and then it's not until almost 3 minutes in that he plays the full melody again. Then at 3:40 he goes back to the rewritten melody. The first seven notes are the same then he goes off in a different direction.

"closer to the world" is an excellent way to put it. That 40 seconds is the only part that sounds like Empire.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

#pedantalert… doesn’t the second phrase of the new concert arrangement end differently? The original phrase has an additional note (which is one reason the new version hasn’t really gelled with me plus, as others have noted, the sound world It inhabits doesn’t sound like the one of the original score). 

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

As is often the case I don't have the vocabulary for it, but for most of the new arrangement (not all of it as I had wrongly remembered) the end of the theme is different. He plays the original theme once at the outset and then it's not until almost 3 minutes in that he plays the full melody again. Then at 3:40 he goes back to the rewritten melody. The first seven notes are the same then he goes off in a different direction.

"closer to the world" is an excellent way to put it. That 40 seconds is the only part that sounds like Empire.

Excellent points, both of you!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Excellent points, both of you!

Gotta love some JWFan pedantry. I really don’t know why he changed the end of the line. The way to ends now seems so flat somehow. JW has described writing a great theme as like sculpting and changing a note here and there until it’s just as he wants it but that little upwards movement at the end of the theme only adds to the longing which the revised version doesn’t do nearly so well (to me at least). 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

surely you own the original single CD, the 1993 anthology, or the 2018 demaster

1) Used to, but, as stated earlier, foolishly got rid of it after buying the 93 anthology.

2) Yes, thankfully kept this after buying the 97 RCA releases.

3) Not heard of this. Details please! (hang on, you don’t mean the 2018 Disney remasters done by your man Shawn, do you? I thought the verdict on those was not the best?)

Yes, the 2018 demasters by Sean Murphy.  They are, overall, terrible, but the sound quality of tracks that his team didn't have to re-edit, like the ROTJ concert arrangements, are fine.

The RotJ demaster sounds phenomenal, by far the best of them. But yes, it does help that it has barely any edits they could mess up by phasing, no overlays to leave off or looping to not replicate... though that didn't stop them in that ESB track that suddenly just drops to godawful sound out of nowhere and slowly the quality increases back up.

The 'A Musical Journey' mix of The Imperial March is probably the best presentation of the official LSO releases, shame about the dialogue in the track though. 

Star Wars (1977)

Main Title: Morton Gould / LSO

Princess Leia's Theme: Morton Gould / LSO

Here They Come: Varujan Kojan / USO

The Little People Work: Gerhardt / NPO

The Last Battle: Gerhardt / NPO

Throne Room and Finale: Erich Kunzel / CPO or John Mauceri / HBO

19 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Indeed.

In case anyone's still awake and interested, here's a summary of my findings:

Main Title: Hollywood Sound, LSO, 1996

Princess Leia’s Theme: Utah or Boston

The Little People: Skywalker

Here They Come: Utah

Throne Room & End Titles: Skywalker

Imperial March: Skywalker

The Asteroid Field: Skywalker or Boston

Han and the Princess: Gerhardt (although there isn’t really any competition when there are only two readily-available recordings!)

Yoda’s Theme: Utah or Skywalker

Jabba the Hutt: Boston or Utah

Parade of the Ewoks: Utah

Luke & Leia: Boston

The Forest Battle: Utah

Shock horror: no recommendations at all for Mehta, the VPO or Gerhardt (apart from Han and the Princess, which is a special case) and not many pieces where Boston is a clear winner.

I've never listened terribly intently to Gerhardt's recordings, though I knew they got a lot of love from others around here. Having compared them side-by-side with others, I have to say I've failed to see much of value in them. Back in the day, when they were the only available recordings of some tracks, I can understand it, but listening to some of the performances now, they're quite disappointing in places - Jabba the Hutt being a particularly weak example.

Anyway, there it is: feel free to disagree with me to your heart's content, just don't expect me to agree. Or care.

Mark

20 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Jabba the Hutt being a particularly weak example.

The worst Jabba is clearly the Skywalker one.

Gerhardt's imperial march has an ingenious intro that makes it an even better piece.

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is there any reasoning, explanation or justification you'd like to add to that, or is your conclusion the only thing us lowly peasants need to know?

The Gerhardt Jabba is riddled with mistakes, to the extent I couldn't be sure the orchestra and soloist weren't sight-reading. By comparison, the Skywalker Jabba's biggest downside was the very fast tempo. So, do you not mind the mistakes in the Gerhardt, or do you find the Skywalker tempo a bigger deal-breaker than getting the notes right? Or do you have a different reason for your opinion?

Mark

I've yet to do any kind of meaningful review but have compiled a playlist of all the various concert versions of Star Wars themes (original trilogy only) and have 79 tracks... (and I can't be entirely certain there's not the odd version I've missed due to a typo or other mislabelling error in my iTunes library). Eek.

Both the Gerhardt and the Skywalker recordings have horrible solo performances, so it's really close to a toss-up who's worst. The Skywalker soloist sounds very insecure, like he's going to soil his pants.

I like the soloist on the Kojian album.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Both the Gerhardt and the Skywalker recordings have horrible solo performances, so it's really close to a toss-up who's worst. The Skywalker soloist sounds very insecure, like he's going to soil his pants.

I like the soloist on the Kojian album.

To be honest, it's quite an odd choice for a concert arrangement and the music itself is kinda a bit on the nose - big fat slug = tuba. I guess it's quite challenging to play though. Especially weird when Han & Leia's theme seems to be something of an afterthought, despite being quite pivotal to Empire. Then again, the Force Theme doesn't have a concert arrangement and I'd argue that it's more the "main" theme of the entire series as it binds the movies together more effectively that the actual main theme and is used far more often within the underscore.

Unrelated query, is the Star Wars main theme used to open the original Empire album the A New Hope Recording? I think it is but haven't been quite able to work it out.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Unrelated query, is the Star Wars main theme used to open the original Empire album the A New Hope Recording? I think it is but haven't been quite able to work it out.

No, they re-recorded the main title for each original SW score. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Both the Gerhardt and the Skywalker recordings have horrible solo performances, so it's really close to a toss-up who's worst.

So what happened in the 45 minutes between those two posts that changed your mind from one being definitely worse to it being difficult to decide which is worse?

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The force theme does indeed have a concert arrangement. You know better than this, Tom!

No, It doesn't have.  

John Williams never wrote a specific composition only dedicated to the Force Theme. It is quoted several times in other compositions, but it doesn't have it's own piece.

The piece where it's the most developped is perhaps the concert arrangement of "The Throne Room".

4 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

So what happened in the 45 minutes between those two posts that changed your mind from one being definitely worse to it being difficult to decide which is worse?

I frankly forgot how bad the Gerhardt is, as that's an album I rarely listen to (I prefer Gerhardt's SW and TESB albums).

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

No, It doesn't have.  

John Williams never wrote a specific composition only dedicated to the Force Theme. It is quoted several times in other compositions, but it doesn't have it's own piece.

The piece where it's the most developped is perhaps in "The Throne Room".

The force theme is the main theme of The Throne Room concert arrangement, and there's both fast and slow renditions of it. And a concert arrangement doesn't have to revolve around only one theme, but The Throne Room concert arrangement is basically four minutes of the force theme and variations on it. What you want is JW to publish the Binary Sunset cue as a concert arrangement.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Wrong manipulation, sorry.

That's OK. I hope I will find room in my heart to forgive you someday.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, they re-recorded the main title for each original SW score. 

I know they re-recorded the opening crawl for each of the original trilogy (indeed it has some orchestration differences between Star Wars and Empire). I was referring to the opening track on the original double LP which is the opening titles stitched to the Star Wars end credits. Did they recreate this with the new opening title recording for Empire? If so, which end credits did they use? 

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I know they re-recorded the opening crawl for each of the original trilogy (indeed it has some orchestration differences between Star Wars and Empire). I was referring to the opening track on the original double LP which is the opening titles stitched to the Star Wars end credits. Did they recreate this with the new opening title recording for Empire? If so, which end credits did they use? 

I never heard any orchestra playing the "ESB Main Theme", as it appears on the OST.

The Main Theme "strangely" segue into to the Mynock Cave track on the record...

Oh it's effective, very effective!... But... enough to record it on an album? 

It seems it never happened and that's okay with me!

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I never heard any orchestra playing the "ESB Main Theme", as it appears on the OST.

The Main Theme "strangely" segue into to the Mynock Cave track on the record...

Oh it's effective, very effective!... But... enough to record it on an album? 

It seems it never happened and that's okay with me!

Basically. What’s the highlighted track? Does it go to Mynock Cave? I don’t have the original album so I may have got it wrong as I assumed it was just a concert arrangement opener (like where the Raiders March opens Crystal Skull for example).

C2D3BCA4-BD2F-4814-86FA-D1284D42028D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Basically. What’s the highlighted track? Does it go to Mynock Cave? I don’t have the original album so I may have got it wrong as I assumed it was just a concert arrangement opener (like where the Raiders March opens Crystal Skull for example).

C2D3BCA4-BD2F-4814-86FA-D1284D42028D.jpeg

Yes this track is an edit of the ESB Main Title with The Mynock Cave.

The "complete" ESB Main title appeared for the first time on the 1993 Anthology boxset... where, they completely forgot to include as a bonus tracks "The Mynock Cave"... the idiots! :P

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes this track is an edit of the ESB Main Title with The Mynock Cave.

The "complete" ESB Main title appeared for the first time on the 1993 Anthology boxset... where, they completely forgot to include as a bonus tracks "The Mynock Cave"... the idiots! :P

All four of those disks were full. Empire and the Bonus Disk were at 1 hour and 15 minutes each. I was annoyed about the omission as well, but what would you have left off?

Yes, Throne Room is the concert arrangement of Ben's Theme. Unless you want to say that there was never a concert arrangement of Luke's theme. I mean the main titles has the Rebel Fanfare in it, it has ANOTHER variation of Leia's theme (sheesh!) and it even has snatches of The Throne Room! Clearly not a concert arrangement in any reasonable sense of the term. :sarcasm:

I'm not sure why I've run very hot and very cold on Gerhardt's Empire. I should revisit.

BTW I've always hated the concert arrangement of The Asteroid Field as played by anybody. Just sayin'.

The original astroid field with the awesome frenetic string intro is the best!

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm not sure why I've run very hot and very cold on Gerhardt's Empire. I should revisit.

The playing may not be perfect, but the spirit is there!

I was referring to the opening track on the original double LP which is the opening titles stitched to the Star Wars end credits.

But it isn't that.  It's Empire's Main Titles segued to (some of) 1M2 The Imperial Probe segued to (some of) 6M3 This Is Not A Cave.

Did they recreate this with the new opening title recording for Empire? If so, which end credits did they use? 

They didn't re-create anything, nor does it contain any film's end credits.

Basically. What’s the highlighted track? Does it go to Mynock Cave?

Yes

I don’t have the original album so I may have got it wrong as I assumed it was just a concert arrangement opener 

It's not.

36 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

All four of those disks were full. Empire and the Bonus Disk were at 1 hour and 15 minutes each. I was annoyed about the omission as well, but what would you have left off?

Yes, Throne Room is the concert arrangement of Ben's Theme. Unless you want to say that there was never a concert arrangement of Luke's theme. I mean the main titles has the Rebel Fanfare in it, it has ANOTHER variation of Leia's theme (sheesh!) and it even has snatches of The Throne Room! Clearly not a concert arrangement in any reasonable sense of the term. :sarcasm:

BTW I've always hated the concert arrangement of The Asteroid Field as played by anybody. Just sayin'.

The strange, totally unwanted, totally tasteless and totally aberrant edit made with the ESB and ROTJ end Credits, on the 4th disc, could have been replaced by The Mynock Cave.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But it isn't that.  It's Empire's Main Titles segued to (some of) 1M2 The Imperial Probe segued to (some of) 6M3 This Is Not A Cave.

They didn't re-create anything, nor does it contain any film's end credits.

Yes

It's not.

Thanks everyone. I think the reason I was confuse is that I don’t have the original Empire album and the opening track is almost identical in length to the main theme concert track from ANH so I had foolishly assumed it was just a reprise of that (a la Raider’s March at the start of Crystal Skull as I referenced earlier).  Thanks for clearing it up! It’s quite similar to what he did for the prequels where the opening titles segue into an unrelated track from the middle of the film. Odd choice when the music tells the story so clearly!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The strange, totally unwanted, totally tasteless and totally aberrant edit made with the ESB and ROTJ end Credits, on the 4th disc, could have been replaced by The Mynock Cave.

Fair enough. (I forgot how frustrating that was. And I still can't hear the difference between the two ESB end credits.) But how would you have presented the film version of the Ewoks celebration? 

Thanks everyone. I think the reason I was confuse is that I don’t have the original Empire album and the opening track is almost identical in length to the main theme concert track from ANH so I had foolishly assumed it was just a reprise of that (a la Raider’s March at the start of Crystal Skull as I referenced earlier).  Thanks for clearing it up! It’s quite similar to what he did for the prequels where the opening titles segue into an unrelated track from the middle of the film. Odd choice when the music tells the story so clearly!

In the case of ESB the main titles continue into a version of the story (star destroyer, probes, tauntaun, wampa) and THEN into a different part of the film. 

You know how the anthology set had a rumoured 5th disc in the works, that was presumably cancelled just before they started working on the special edition soundtrack releases. Does anyone have anymore information on that 5th disc? or is it just myth and legend? 

Here you go

===================================
Lukas Kendall wrote in the Jan/Feb/Mar issue of Film Score Monthly
(among a wealth of other SW music background):
"And finally, the 'fifth disc,' an object I made the mistake of
mentioning a few months ago. At this point, while a sequencing for
a fifth disc was made (featuring another 70 minutes of music), there
are no immediate plans to release it. It's not dead, just kind of
in limbo. Because I wasn't supposed to announce it, it would not
be a good idea to write Fox demanding the "fifth disc." To them
nobody knows about it, and therefore nobody would care if they ever
did it. Rather, write that you would be interested in 'any
additional Star Wars outtakes and unreleased music' like the fourth
disc in the set. Address is: Fox Records, c/o Fox Music Group, PO
Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213. Be nice, be brief and try not to
sound like you're crazy; perhaps disc five may yet happen."
So there you have it. If you're interested, here's the missing
music that could be on a fifth disc according to Film Score Monthly:
From Star Wars:
- Main Title (first recorded take) 2:16
- More Little People (after droids purchased) :22
- The Force/The Princess Reappears/Ben and Luke 2:00
- Out of the Floor (group infiltrates Death Star) 1:45
From The Empire Strikes Back:
- The Imperial Probe (film version pt. 1) 1:00
- Ben's Instruction (complete) 3:30
- The Probe Scanner 3:00
- Yoda Appears ("You feel like what?") 1:15
- Vader's Command (Imperial Fleet breaks up) 1:10
- Luke to the Rescue (taking off from Dagobah) :55
- Vader Shows Up (group meets Vader at dinner) 1:30
- Putting Threepio Together 1:00
- Trouble in Prison (Lando visits prison cell) 2:20
- Carbon Freeze (alternate) :40
- Finale (alternate) 2:00
From Return of the Jedi:
- Vader Contacts Luke (not in film)/The Iron Door 2:20
- Jabba Harp Source 3:00
- Unused Source Music (not in film) 1:30
- My Favorite Decoration 1:00
- Lapti Nek (film version)
- Fancy Man (Lapti Nek English Version)
- Jabba's Prisoners (Boushh barters over Chewie) 2:20
- Jabba's Sail Barge Source
- Han Solo Returns (film version) 4:00
- A Strange Visitor (Luke arrives) 2:30
- The Sentence (Jabba says: Die by Sarlaac) 2:00
- The Sarlaac Pit :45
- Ben and Luke on a Log/The Rebel Fleet 2:50
- Battle Plans (the real "Rebel Briefing) 2:00
- Jungle Encounter (before Speeder Bikes) 1:20
- After the Bike Chase :50
- Enter the Ewok (Leia meets Wickett) 2:00
- More Trouble/More Ewoks Emerge 4:30
- Ewok Drums (group carried to Ewok Village) 2:25
- Using the Force (Luke levitates Threepio) 1:15
- Bedtime Stories (Threepio tells saga to Ewoks) 1:10
- Ewok Drums 2 (group joins tribe) 2:05
- Father Meets Son (Endor landing platform) 3:30
- Finding an Entrance (group at bunker) :50
- Rebel Forces Captured 2:00
- The Emperor Provokes Luke 1:00
- The Battle Rages (space/bunker fight) 1:00
- Space Battle (Rebels enter Death Star, etc.) 2:00
So, as you can see, most of the fifth disc would contain unused
music from "Jedi." The full article in FSM contains everything
you could ever want to know about Star Wars music. If you really
love film scores, FSM is the mag for you (I don't work for them,
honest! Unfortunately, I haven't even had the time to subscribe)
For Film Score Monthly info, contact:
Film Score Monthly
Box 1554
Amherst College
Amherst, MA 01002-5000
Phone/Fax: (413)542-3353

The Mynock Cave was not even on the intented 5th disc... It's a good thing it was cancelled!

BTW the set is full of alternate takes... and they wanted to offer us some more on a 5th disc? HAHAHA.

First, make sure you release all the album and movie versions, that would be a great start....

No one can handle the Star Wars recordings.

IT BECAME A REAL MESS.

Han Solo: Whatever! - GIF on Imgur

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here you go

Thank you so much! 

Empire Strikes Back Alternate Finale!? 

That's never been released right? 

The Imperial Probe Film Version!? 

That must be The Imperial March insert we've never got! 😱

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Mynock Cave was not even on the intented 5th disc... It's a good thing it was cancelled!

BTW the set is full of alternate takes... and they wanted to offer us some more on a 5th disc? HAHAHA.

First, make sure you release all the album and movie versions, that would be a great start....

No one can handle the Star Wars recordings.

IT BECAME A REAL MESS.

Han Solo: Whatever! - GIF on Imgur

It actually hurts. 

25 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Thank you so much! 

Empire Strikes Back Alternate Finale!? 

That's never been released right? 

it wasn't on the 1997 2CD sets, but it appears completely clean in the "Crimson Empire" audiobook CD.

25 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

The Imperial Probe Film Version!? 

That must be The Imperial March insert we've never got! 😱

We have that in its entirety on the 1997 2CD set, opening the track "The Imperial Probe"

1 minute ago, Jay said:

it wasn't on the 1997 2CD sets, but it appears completely clean in the "Crimson Empire" audiobook CD.

We have that in its entirety on the 1997 2CD set, opening the track "The Imperial Probe"

Oh it's when the probe first arrives. My bad, I thought it was after Han destroys it and we see the fleet. 

2 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

I thought it was after Han destroys it and we see the fleet. 

That's music from "The Imperial March", but different takes than the final album version uses