Do you prefer for LLL's Jurassic Park and Harry Potter Soundtrack Collections to be limited or not?

Josh500

Do you prefer for LLL's Jurassic Park and Harry Potter Soundtrack Collections to be limited or not?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer for LLL's Jurassic Park and Harry Potter Soundtrack Collections to be limited or not?

• Yes, I like that they're limited. Gives these editions a sense of exclusivity, and obviously raises their value significantly.
    • No, I wish they were not limited. Gives more people a chance to experience these scores (although sure, the general public probably won't embrace them as much).

Sorry, I personally like that they are limited. And I would vote as well for unlimited digital releases in addition. Like amazon does it.

Even though I wish, I would have got hold of the one or the other limited release that I missed, I am not sure if this business modelliert of these speciality labels would really work with unlimited releases.

I don't think, that they intend to punish people who order too late instead of selling their products to them. They must calculate how much they sell in which time to make profit. And probably that is the only way how it works.

I don't think it'd be a huge problem to print, say, 100 copies to keep in stock once interest dies down, sell it over the next years if it slows down that much, or order a bigger batch next time if interest picks up for some reason. But what do I know.

Any title that is entirely owned by one entity can be sold digitally, it's just the ones where one entity has mechanical rights and another has the rights to the unreleased music that it gets tricky.

Heartbeeps never had an OST album so Universal owns all the rights.

Black Sunday same thing with Paramount.

If you look at this list, anything under "There is no music label" is easier to release a digital album for than everything above it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If we are a small pond to the AFM, we are an even smaller pond to these giant movie studios, which are all now owned by giant corporations.  They absolutely care more about profits than anything else, and that's precisely why they don't care much about us.  Absolutely none of any of these specialty label titles make any noticeable profit for any of these movie studios.  These releases are the tiniest of the tiny blips on their radars. 

I am not 100% sure about this part, but I am pretty sure that they make the same amount of money if the labels sell 1 copy of 10,000 copies.  The label pays these corporations for the license, the music data, the photographs in the booklet, and probably some legal fees and such.  But I do not believe they then make extra payments to the studios based on how many copies are sold.  The whole reason these corporations grant these licensees to the specialty labels is so the specialty labels can do literally all the work to make them happen and they don't have to do anything, which keeps their hands of all the other decisions made including how many copies to limit them to, a decision made by the specialty label influenced by the AFM's rules.

The reason they limit them is because the AFM forces them to.  

Well, as I understand it, only two entities--the giant corporations and the AFM--conspire to make these releases limited, against everybody else's wishes (i.e. the consumer, the special label, and even the artist). 

And I somehow feel that you might be underestimating these corporations. They're not as bumbling and indifferent as you make them out to be, there's proper and calculated strategy behind this business practice. And I submit that the "limited edition" is just one proven way to sell an X amount of a product in a certain limited time period, so they can collected a predetermined X amount of money. That's it, really. And if a release is not limited, it might take God knows how long to reach a certain goal, because many people will be putting off their purchase indefinitely... You know they will, not you or I, of course, but many other lesser fans. 

Anyway, that's my suspicion. Everybody has different interests, and unfortunately for us, it's the corporations that own the music, not the artists or the specialty labels, whose interests coincide more with our own. Oh well.  

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Sorry, I personally like that they are limited. And I would vote as well for unlimited digital releases in addition.

I like the idea of the hybrid model, as it at least makes the music available in the long run, which is the central problem - a limited run making the actual music unavailable to buy.

I rather like the idea of score releases as a 'memento' of a film, but for me it doesn't extend to desiring a physical release, and a lot of smaller releases actually have pretty horrendous cover art, if they've been printed/burned using home facilities (instead of pressed). For me that adds to the charm.

33 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I've missed out on some serious releases simply because I was away from this forum for some time.  I don't regret it that much, but it does suck that there will be future John Williams fans wondering why they can't have complete scores to some of his most popular works.

I feel like the most popular scores (Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Jurassic Park) will most certainly be re-released in the future, one way or another. Maybe in a slightly different, improved form, kind of like how Jaws and E.T. keep getting released over and over again, even to this day... In that sense, they're not really limited. 

But I'm not so sure about the less popular scores like Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, and Always. I think the interest in those scores will be so little, they won't bother with those anymore. Those fans who wish to own these scores complete, say, 20 years from now will likely be looking to download them online or somehow get them secondhand... 

I wish they were unlimited so that John's popularity would skyrocket because they'd be available in brick and mortar stores, as they should be. 

You'd also see them go on sale occasionally.

55 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, as I understand it, only two entities--the giant corporations and the AFM--conspire to make these releases limited, against everybody else's wishes (i.e. the consumer, the special label, and even the artist). 

And I somehow feel that you might be underestimating these corporations. They're not as bumbling and indifferent as you make them out to be, there's proper and calculated strategy behind this business practice. And I submit that the "limited edition" is just one proven way to sell an X amount of a product in a certain limited time period, so they can collected a predetermined X amount of money. That's it, really. And if a release is not limited, it might take God knows how long to reach a certain goal, because many people will be putting off their purchase indefinitely... You know they will, not you or I, of course, but many other lesser fans. 

Anyway, that's my suspicion. Everybody has different interests, and unfortunately for us, it's the corporations that own the music, not the artists or the specialty labels, whose interests coincide more with our own. Oh well.  

I don't think you understand the idea behind unions. And I think you overestimate the relevance of what we're talking about for big corporations. It's simply not worth it for them to invest time and resources to make niche stuff like soundtracks easier to produce (or buy). At best, they simply have more relevant (to them) stuff on their agenda. At worst, it's actually more expensive for them to do anything about it than whatever more money they might possibly make by selling a few more CDs.

Why is everybody so worried about those poor future JWFans? They will enter this fandom with fully digitilized complete soundtracks in brillant sound quality. 

I started in the early 80s with LPs, I bought the TESB score five times. Six, if I count in the Gerhardt recording. There was not much available. You had to go through a lot of record stores to find what you were looking for.

Why should I feel pitty for those upcoming fans because don't have all those brillant physical releases available at once in unrestricted amount?

8 minutes ago, Hedji said:

For myself, getting expansions over the decades has been a delight, and part of the fun of being a soundtrack fan.  The delayed gratification made me appreciate both album arrangements and the newly released material when it came out.  I wouldn't change that for the world, because when there's a cue you want, but don't have, it shapes your estimation of all of it, for better or worse.  

Indeed! Well said. 

11 minutes ago, Hedji said:

I'd imagine someone whose first exposure to these scores is the complete score will regard little incidental cues very differently than those of us who hungered for them for decades.

A weird psychology, I know, but I enjoyed growing up in the OST era, and now living through the expansion era.

Not at all. We all crave and appreciate something that we can't have, or are in danger of losing, more. I guess that's just human nature. And I guess that's where the psychology of "limited edition" ties in too...

12 minutes ago, Hedji said:

I wouldn't change that for the world, because when there's a cue you want, but don't have, it shapes your estimation of all of it, for better or worse.

It's been an experience to go through that for many scores of my film score youth, but I just can't agree with the idea of proactively holding back music from release to make consumers appreciate the album arrangement more. It should be up to the individual listener to decide when they're ready to listen to more than the composer's listening experience.

8 hours ago, Datameister said:

There are two types of people in this world: those who say, "I had it rough - why should the next generation have it any easier?" and those who say, "I had it rough - why should the next generation have to struggle like I did?" (Actually, there are a lot of other types of people, but what the hell.)

You got my point completely wrong. I did not say, future fan generations shouldn't have it easier than I had. I said, they will have it already easier, so no reason to feel sorry for them. I wasn't referring to comments that said We got it so hard, let's make it easier for future generations." I was referring to comments which said "We got it so easy, but for future generations it is going to be so hard to be a JWFan." Just saying that's not the case.

Just compare: 

• Becoming a fan in 2030. The Eiger Sanction Expansion is only available second hand on ebay for 300§.
  • Becoming a fan in 1980: You have to wait 41 years until the The Eiger Sanction expansion will be available for 30$.

Chose what you find easier.

And I am NOT saying that every fan should have to wait 41 years for it because I did. I just say, they are lucky because they don't have to.

Yeah, pirating or paying 10 times the amount for it because some asshole hikes up the price to make himself feel important is so much better. Lovely future.

Of course it's not optimal.

But I think, just ask the lable to make everything available unlimited is practically not an option.

I guess, the OSTs officially never were limited. And even there today you are searching to get the OSTs of the old movies. If the big record companies don't get it managed to print the OSTs forever for all the fans to come, how should the speciallity labels be able to compensate that?

By the way, I could imagine because of the limitation the expansions sell even better than they would do, if they were unlimited. Someone said it before. Some might think, they are not too interested and so if they become interested one day, they could buy it at any time. so they don't buy it. But if it is limited, they think, if I get interested when it is already sold out I am doomed, so I buy it now.

This might not apply to Harry Potter or Jurassic Park. But in general, I could imagine, that this is the case.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way, I could imagine because of the limitation the expansions sell even better than they would do, if they were unlimited. Someone said it before. Some might think, they are not too interested and so if they become interested one day, they could buy it at any time. so they don't buy it. But if it is limited, they think, if I get interested when it is already sold out I am doomed, so I buy it now.

This might not apply to Harry Potter or Jurassic Park. But in general, I could imagine, that this is the case.

Indeed. Exactly my point, that's what I'm saying. Heck, if it was not limited, even I would have hesitated and maybe even put off getting some John Williams releases like The Disaster Boxset and The Time Tunnel.

Turns out the fear of missing out is a big motivator when it comes to spending your hard earned cash. No big surprise there. 

Just compare: 

• Becoming a fan in 2030. The Eiger Sanction Expansion is only available second hand on ebay for 300§.
  • Becoming a fan in 1980: You have to wait 41 years until the The Eiger Sanction expansion will be available for 30$.

Chose what you find easier.

It's more like... 

2044: X becomes a big fan of the old Harry Potter scores and wants to get ahold of them. The complete boxset published over 20 years ago is long OOP, of course. So he tries to get it somehow on the secondhand market (while hoping secretly it'll be rereleased one of these days, if enough fans clamour for it). X gets lucky. He succeeds to get it at an only slightly inflated price of $200 (unlike some bitter people claim, not the whole world is made up of greedy assholes out to get you), but that's okay. He's been prepared to spend $350 for it. He's over the moon that he managed to acquire the beloved scores.... 

2004: Y is a fan of the Harry Potter scores and desperately wants to get them complete. It's downright impossible. There's simply no freaking way. Such a set just isn't available, it simply doesn't exist in this world. He's crushed, but his dream never quite goes away. Then, 20 years later--Y is in his forties now--he wakes up one morning and reads an announcement--his lifelong dream is finally realised... It took 20 years, but with a tear of furious joy in his eye, he places an order at the first possible opportunity and buys the boxset at a more than reasonable price of $100 plus shipping. 

On 8/23/2021 at 1:32 AM, GerateWohl said:

I could imagine because of the limitation the expansions sell even better than they would do, if they were unlimited. Someone said it before. Some might think, they are not too interested and so if they become interested one day, they could buy it at any time. so they don't buy it. But if it is limited, they think, if I get interested when it is already sold out I am doomed, so I buy it now.

It was years ago, so I don't remember who said it, but someone at one of the labels did mention this as a factor. That they sell more copies of releases if they announce that they're limited to X copies.

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't give a damn whether they are limited, or not. I can't afford either.

Good to see another indifferent. We really need that as a poll option.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:44 PM, Hedji said:

For myself, getting expansions over the decades has been a delight, and part of the fun of being a soundtrack fan.  The delayed gratification made me appreciate both album arrangements and the newly released material when it came out.  I wouldn't change that for the world, because when there's a cue you want, but don't have, it shapes your estimation of all of it, for better or worse.  A new fan who gets everything all in one shot is denied the thrill of the yearning and the satisfaction of the new release.  I'd imagine someone whose first exposure to these scores is the complete score will regard little incidental cues very differently than those of us who hungered for them for decades.

A weird psychology, I know, but I enjoyed growing up in the OST era, and now living through the expansion era.

A wonderfully, romantic way to look at it.  And I actually agree with all of it.  Certain elusive, unreleased cues that when you finally have them, it almost doesn't feel real.

But again, I'm not sure thats fair to the future fans.

52 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It was years ago, so I don't remember who said it, but someone at one of the labels did mention this as a factor. That they sell more copies of releases if they announce that they're limited to X copies.

Well, it's just common sense. Nobody will go, "Wow, this album is limited. I was thinking about buying it, but because it's limited, I will do so later..." 

Many will go, "Wow, this album is limited. I was thinking about buying it, and because it's limited, I better do so right away before it sells out..." 

For me it may affect the timing of the purchase, especially if I know there aren't many left, but it doesn't affect the likelihood of me buying in the first place. And there are certainly releases that I didn't buy precisely because they were limited - not because their being limited made me lose interest, but because they'd already sold out by the time I became interested/aware/able to afford them.

49 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

But again, I'm not sure thats fair to the future fans.

Seriously, not at all sure why many are so inordinately concerned about future fans. It's not like JW fans of 30 years ago were so concerned about us... and saved us the OS albums of, say, Jaws 2, Temple of Doom, and The Eiger Sanction in pristine conditions! :D

And anyway, if you're actually so concerned about future fans (and not just paying lip service, which I almost suspect), you should consider selling your specialty editions in 10, 20, 30 years on the secondhand market at fair prices. I'm sure the future fans will appreciate you for that...

16 minutes ago, Datameister said:

For me it may affect the timing of the purchase, especially if I know there aren't many left, but it doesn't affect the likelihood of me buying in the first place. And there are certainly releases that I didn't buy precisely because they were limited - not because their being limited made me lose interest, but because they'd already sold out by the time I became interested/aware/able to afford them.

It's just a question of odds

Not talking about specific cases, but generally, more people will be motivated into buying a product that's limited in availability... 

It's just learning from bad experience, when you think about the releases you missed because you hesitated too long, thinking, I have got the OST, isn't that enough? Or because you didn't like the main theme, but one day you hear a great cue and think, it's that soundtrack? I need it! But it just sold out.

Next time you stand in the first row at release day.

32 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Seriously, not at all sure why many are so inordinately concerned about future fans. It's not like JW fans of 30 years ago were so concerned about us... and saved us the OS albums of, say, Jaws 2, Temple of Doom, and The Eiger Sanction in pristine conditions! :D

And anyway, if you're actually so concerned about future fans (and not just paying lip service, which I almost suspect), you should consider selling your specialty editions in 10, 20, 30 years on the secondhand market at fair prices. I'm sure the future fans will appreciate you for that...

I just don't think it's fair that 'future fans' will have to pay enormous prices (or resorting to downloading illegally) to have every piece of music that's in a film score they love.  Take the LLL E.T. release.  Arguably the greatest score of all time, you want that release that has EVERY piece of music that's heard in film to be limited to a physical purchase that's only avaliable in limited quantities?  Now obviously I get why LLL does that.  I'm not naive to the costs of these things.

But ultimately that's the goal of these expansions, to have everything on film on cd for us.  Put them available on digital, and that solves the issue.  Simple as that. (even though I know it's not that simple)  And yeah, they will have to get over the fact that the physical release is too expensive or out of print.  I'll give you that.

And trust me, I didn't think about future fans until this thread lol.  So it's not like it's on my mind.  But this topic does make for a good discussion on the issue.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Good to see another indifferent. We really need that as a poll option.

There are some people, for whom, either by choice, or by necessity, these "limited" releases mean absolutely nothing. Thor is one; I am another.

I like to read about them, and I'm very glad that more and more rare and unreleased music is finding its way to people's ears.

Personally, and as I've stated, I can't afford them. If people can, then I wish them well. If I could afford them, I'd be first in line to buy them, but I can't, so I'm not.

I would never wish to prevent anyone from buying what is great music, but, at this time, I need to prioritise my money-management, and, I'm sorry to say that this does not include spending money on rare soundtracks.

36 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I just don't think it's fair that 'future fans' will have to pay enormous prices (or resorting to downloading illegally) to have every piece of music that's in a film score they love.  Take the LLL E.T. release.  Arguably the greatest score of all time, you want that release that has EVERY piece of music that's heard in film to be limited to a physical purchase that's only avaliable in limited quantities?  Now obviously I get why LLL does that.  I'm not naive to the costs of these things.

But ultimately that's the goal of these expansions, to have everything on film on cd for us.  Put them available on digital, and that solves the issue.  Simple as that. (even though I know it's not that simple)  And yeah, they will have to get over the fact that the physical release is too expensive or out of print.  I'll give you that.

And trust me, I didn't think about future fans until this thread lol.  So it's not like it's on my mind.  But this topic does make for a good discussion on the issue.

Well, obviously in an ideal world, everything that we wish to own should be available to us at all times. But we're all adults here, and we know that the world we live in is far from ideal.... But not to get too philosophical, here's what I honestly think about this. We're all John Williams fans here, and I think we tend to greatly overestimate the popularity of his works. I really do. Let me give you an example. 

Right now the world has close to 8 billion people, and The John Williams/Jurassic Park Soundtrack Collection was limited to 5,000 copies, which took, what? About 2 years to sell out? That's such a tiny, insignificant number, it really boggles the mind. That's like a grain of salt in a desert, we're such a tiny group (and mind you, we're not talking about the group that's interested in the Jurassic Park scores, but those that are interested in the complete Jurassic Park scores). And in 30 years that tiny group will be even tinier, a mere fraction of that. Not to mention the fact that in 30 years, assuming we still live in a place comparable to our present world, people would likely be going crazy over artists popular at that time, not a classical composer who lived and worked 100 years ago. And if somebody actually should become interested in those classic John Williams scores, they will have access to the OS albums, which are widely available secondhand, anyway! 

I honestly believe people in 30 years will have rather different interests, concerns, and passions. We should do the same in our present world, instead of worrying overmuch about possible "future fans."

@Josh500

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying here.

My own personal belief with film score music is simply this:   Any music in the film IS the film score, and should be made available (if the labels/studios can make it happen).  Nothing should be omitted if possible and if money permits.

So with that.....any release that does come out complete like these ones over the past years, should also be considered the PREMIER & DEFINITIVE release of said score, and thus making it atleast widely available.  Digital will solve most of this, and physical can be limited.

50 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

It might be hard to believable. But for about 10 years it was possible to be a fan and there was nothing more than the eight track original album of E.T.

But there was a picture disk.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It might be hard to believable. But for about 10 years it was possible to be a fan and there was nothing more than the eight track original album of E.T.

I have that album as well.  But we can't consider that the definitive release of E.T. anymore.  At least not in my book.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

There was 14 years before the first expansion in 1996

20 years before the longer expansion in 2002

35 years before the complete expansion in 2017

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

There was 14 years before the first expansion in 1996

20 years before the longer expansion in 2002

35 years before the complete expansion in 2017

It seems so long when you look at it that way! 

I do however remember being thankful for each one and really it's been an embarrassment of riches these past decade+ seeing so many things we never thought we would see show up. 

I know we all sometimes pipe up with "I can't believe we don't have X yet it's been X decades" and yeah there are a few gems I'd actually get giddy to see show up but really these limited editions now are ensuring these scores are preserved and in some cases would even still be  in existence to release to future fans.

So if we can't have unlimited releases that will always be available I'll at least continue to support these labels to ensure the elements exist for future fans at all. 

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

@Josh500

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying here.

My own personal belief with film score music is simply this:   Any music in the film IS the film score, and should be made available (if the labels/studios can make it happen).  Nothing should be omitted if possible and if money permits.

So with that.....any release that does come out complete like these ones over the past years, should also be considered the PREMIER & DEFINITIVE release of said score, and thus making it atleast widely available.  Digital will solve most of this, and physical can be limited.

Well, again, it comes down to the business interests of the corporations that own the music. When it makes sense business wise--and only then!--I'm sure it'll happen, digitally or otherwise. And my feeling is eventually it will. What else are they gonna do with the rights they own, except coming up with new ways to make money and more money? 

What we believe should happen or not is really secondary in this. People should also be free of poverty, people should also refrain from hurting one another, people should also be allowed to live happy, peaceful, respectable lives, each and every one of them. In an ideal world etc. etc. 

30 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What we believe should happen or not is really secondary in this.

"No, I wish they were not limited." That was your choice of words to give us.

There was also the "Story of E.T." with rare music, and narrated by that well-known kiddie-botherer.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

On 8/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, Datameister said:

There are two types of people in this world: those who say, "I had it rough - why should the next generation have it any easier?" and those who say, "I had it rough - why should the next generation have to struggle like I did?" (Actually, there are a lot of other types of people, but what the hell.)

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well, obviously in an ideal world, everything that we wish to own should be available to us at all times. But we're all adults here, and we know that the world we live in is far from ideal....

But the question you asked was what we prefer. And clearly most of us prefer a world that's ideal enough to have no need of limiting these releaes.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Right now the world has close to 8 billion people, and The John Williams/Jurassic Park Soundtrack Collection was limited to 5,000 copies, which took, what? About 2 years to sell out? That's such a tiny, insignificant number, it really boggles the mind. That's like a grain of salt in a desert, we're such a tiny group (and mind you, we're not talking about the group that's interested in the Jurassic Park scores, but those that are interested in the complete Jurassic Park scores). And in 30 years that tiny group will be even tinier, a mere fraction of that. Not to mention the fact that in 30 years, assuming we still live in a place comparable to our present world, people would likely be going crazy over artists popular at that time, not a classical composer who lived and worked 100 years ago. And if somebody actually should become interested in those classic John Williams scores, they will have access to the OS albums, which are widely available secondhand, anyway! 

I honestly believe people in 30 years will have rather different interests, concerns, and passions. We should do the same in our present world, instead of worrying overmuch about possible "future fans."

So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter if they're limited or not, because they wouldn't sell (or press) any more copies if they were unlimited anyway?

5 hours ago, Holko said:

"No, I wish they were not limited." That was your choice of words to give us.

Did you read the rest of what I wrote?

... in an ideal world. 

Maybe you don't know, but we don't live in such a world. Corporations have interests too. So I'd rather have these limited editions than no editions at all except for the mass market OS albums. 

So yeah, to sum it up: living in the real world (and not in an ideal world free of injustice), I'm rather happy we get these limited editions... They should be limited, if it means that's the only way corporations will give them to us. :)

And yet the only reasoning you loaded the "yes" choice with is that it makes you feel special. The question is what we prefer, not what is possible or more likely, just because in reality something can really only mostly go one way doesn't mean we have to like it.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

And yet the only reasoning you loaded the "yes" choice with is that it makes you feel special. The question is what we prefer, not what is possible or more likely, just because in reality something can really only mostly go one way doesn't mean we have to like it.

No. You're getting it wrong. We are all expressing our opinions on this topic, and I tend toward the option that I chose, for various reasons I stated in the posts above. I wrote that what we believe here is secondary only in the sense that, regardless of the outcome of this poll, it won't change the situation. 

I respect your opinion. You should respect mine too, even if I have a different one. 

You're the one saying we're not living in the real world for picking the choice you provided for a question you phrased.

35 minutes ago, Holko said:

You're the one saying we're not living in the real world for picking the choice you provided for a question you phrased.

Not really. I just consider all aspects, unlike you. I believe these editions should be limited, because it makes them feel more special, it allows LLL to actually release and sell them at a profit, it  raises their value for us, as customers, etc. They're all interrelated.

This is an active, organic discussion. It's not black and white, right or wrong.