Overture to the Oscars (new JW composition)

Fabulin

48 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Are there any impressions of this new piece?

It sounds like Jupiter to me in the beginning.

And some of it sort of sounds like Galaxy's Edge.

Some have said it sounds like 90's JW

7 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

It sounds like Jupiter to me in the beginning.

And some of it sort of sounds like Galaxy's Edge.

Some have said it sounds like 90's JW

That's why I actually thought it was a piece that he pulled off the shelf and dusted off! It was a nice work, and I really loved the new concerto as well. Makes me quite excited for the other new works expected, and I hope we get to hear it unlike a few other pieces that never surface like "A Toast".

14 hours ago, Fabulin said:

5 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I hope we get to hear it unlike a few other pieces that never surface like "A Toast".

Are you referring to Overture to the Oscars? We'll all get to hear it on Sunday.

I am looking forward to hearing this.  I like the return of the 80s sound in various recent pieces--but I really like that it is not copy and paste but infused with elements of his contemporary writing.

Running list of pieces that sound a bit throwback (to me anyways):

Great Performances Theme

Rose's Theme

Galaxy's Edge

Speeder Chase (well, sort of anyway)

I love it!  The main theme strikes me as one of the longest-lined melodies in any Williams overture.  It just goes and goes and goes.  The theme would certainly be catchier if it were shorter, but if you ask me, that's one of the characteristics that marks it as a more "mature" entry in his oeuvre: it's more concerned with doing musically interesting things than with giving us an earworm to latch onto—although thankfully, it's not fixated on virtuosity like many of his brass pieces.  The full orchestra is on display here.  The textures are fantastic, really evoking an idealized vision of Hollywood.  (This would have been a perfect piece for the entrance plaza loop at the Disney-MGM Studios back in the late '80s/early '90s.)

Overall, I wouldn't class this with the very best of his Olympic music and other fanfares, but it's up there, especially among his recent concert works.  What a joy to have this land in our laps! :w00t:

Anyone who heard it already either attended the concert, or listened to a recording somebody who did attend the concert shared with others.

However!  This concert (with the Men of Yorktown March from Midway added into the middle for some reason) is broadcast tonight on FM as well as the internet thanks to WCRB.

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-08-13/film-night-with-the-pops-and-john-williams-2021

The stream button is at the top of that page.

So soon many additional fans will be able to hear this work - and in proper sound quaility.

The broadcast begins just under 5 hours from now.

And I am just realizing, should I get set up to record the FM broadcast? In case the internet stream is too compressed?

EDIT: Nevermind, while I have an FM radio on the desk in my office here, I can't position the antennae anywhere where 99.5 isn't full of static.  Oh well

Does anybody plan on recording the FM broadcast or WCRB stream? I would really love to have Overture to the Oscars as part of my Apple library.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Does anybody plan on recording the FM broadcast or WCRB stream? I would really love to have Overture to the Oscars as part of my Apple library.

Yeah I completely spaced and forgot to hit record when it started.

Since its mostly definitely not allowed to record it...uh.... if somebody could not DM me totally not in regards to a recording of the concert, I'd sure be real appreciative. Much obliged!

Listening live now.  It's always cool when a perfect recording of a concert I attended gets released

Well the Overture sounds even more wonderful now that I can hear it properly again.  The Pops played this really well!

The announcer explained that it was the world premiere of the new piece "that captures the elegance and excitement of one of Hollywood's grandest traditions"

Late to the party.  What a gorgeous piece!  I wonder if it will be performed this weekend at the Hollywood Bowl.  I have tickets but don’t believe the program has been listed yet.

I listened to the piece, it's definitely a John Williams composition.

With all the... ti di di di... and the TA TA TA TAAAAAMM.

Very good!

:lol:

Somehow i missed this thread .Happy to hear a new Williams celebratory piece and I loved it instantly. This is my favorite kind of Williams piece. It does have a Galaxy's Edge feel to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The more I listen to it, the more this wonderful piece reminds me of two brilliant William Walton works, Johannesburg Festival Overture and Scapino Comedy Overture