RIP Charlie Watts

Disco Stu

Hard week for Rock'n'Roll music fans... Don Everly, then him.

It's a whole lot of music history that is touched by these deaths, from the last pioneers of Rock'n'Roll to the founders of counterculture.

I'm sad about this one. The more intimately familiar you get with the Stones' catalog, the more you realize Charlie's importance - which is otherwise less obvious from his stoic presence on stage. It was amazing to have so much of the core of the group intact for this long.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was probably 11 or 12, he said "You'll love this song" and he put on "Paint it Black."  That booming relentless drum beat made such a huge impression on me.

That amazing song was written years before I was born, so I can safely say without the lens of nostalgia that they don't write 'em like that anymore.

RIP, Charlie Watts. You had to be dragged by Wild Horses to the next life.

Yeah, I was just about to ask about recommendations for his jazz stuff. I know he did it, but haven't really heard any.

Sad news, this. Been a Rolling Stones fan for as long as I can remember (also saw them live once), and always found Watts the most "mysterious" of the lot.

R.I.P. to Mr Watts ... shunning all the 'rock star' trappings probably made him the most effortlessly cool of the Stones. 

Love that story about Charlie being wakened in his hotel room by a drunk Jagger phoning from his, asking was 'my drummer' there. Charlie got up, put on a suit (naturally), went to Jagger's room and when he answered the door punched him, saying 'Don't EVER call me 'your drummer' again! You're MY fucking singer!'       

The Québécois always loved The Rolling Stones, here are some of their first hits that charted here between 1963 and 1967.