When you die...

GerateWohl

When you die...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do with your John Williams CD collection?

• You want to get buried together with your JW CD collection.
    • You inherit your JW CD collection to your greedy children, that will probably sell it for exaggerated prices on the second market.
    • You inherit it to your highly music interested children who will keep it forever as remembrance of you in the family.
    • You donate it to JWFan so that it can be used as awards for special fan achievements.
    • You do something else with it. But what? (e.g. become immortal and listen to your collection forever or anything else)

Even if I'm snarky and sarcastic and pessimistic, deep in there somewhere I'm more of an idealist. So options 3 or 4 depending on how well the future offspring(s?)'s upbringing will turn out.

I can connect to both your statements.

My older son just reached an age where he switched from listening to the actual film music to listening to these terrible Star Wars theme techno version playlists on Spotify. And he was not interested in going to the Berlin concert at all. I am not sure if that will ever heal again.

My dad, now 71, has told me I will inherit his vinyl and CD collection when he passes (thousands of titles, mostly classical). So with my own existing CD and vinyl collection (about 1000 so far), it means I will have a considerable music collection when I die, assuming I go after my father.

I don't have any kids of my own, and don't believe I ever will at this point (I'm 43). But I have a niece and two nephews. Maybe when they grow up, they will show some interest and inherit it. Otherwise, I leave it to the estate to perhaps sell off the collection (there's lots of work in that -- especially if they have to sell it off piecemeal to international buyers or similar). I fear they'll just sell it to a thrift store or worse -- throw it in the trash. I have a couple of film music-interested friends in Norway who might inherit, but maybe they die before me, who knows?

It's all up in the air at this point.

When I die, I’ll leave everything I own to my greedy child.  I hope they sell it and use the money to better their life in some way that is meaningful to them.

I don’t need a legacy.  They can scatter my ashes in a trash can or toilet.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don’t need a legacy.  They can scatter my ashes in a trash can or toilet.

I'll be deciding between donating every cell of my body to the hospital to use however they please or having myself buried in some specific pose with specific things to troll future archaeologists.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The important thing is that it gets reliably reused by someone who actually cares for the music itself and is able to appreciate what he owns. Whether that means to hand my entire collection over to one person or to sell/give away one CD after another doesn't matter as long as it gets used.

Agreed. But I question how much future fans will care about this stuff if we fast forward that far ahead. Most of them will probably only listen to soundtracks in whatever digital format is current at the time, and the value of many expansions will probably drop as newer versions are released.

I can picture OSTs retaining their value better, due to the sentimentality of having the original release. Which might extend to the first releases of scores that never had an original release, or to obscure scores that never had an upgraded or rereleased expansion after the original, and may be unavailable on the Spotify du jour.

We also have to be honest with ourselves that many of us see value in CDs because we grew up with them, or because they were the last big physical format for music in our lifetimes. But people who haven't been born yet will mostly not give a shit about CDs or physical media. There will probably only be a small contingent of hobbyists who bother with them.

"Get buried with my CDs" is looking better all the time! But I do hope if I have kids, that they'll give a shit about this stuff. One can dream.

Thanks for this poll and its funny options, @GerateWohl!

If I find someone or some institution willing to get the collection, awesome.

Otherwise, it will be something my kids will have to deal with. They are aware that some of this stuff is rather valuable, and I don't really think they would just drop it on a thrift store for a quick buck. Most likely, if they don't find in them the will to keep it growing, due to different interests, I imagine they would looks for someone who would.

The short answer is, I have no idea. I don't know when I will die, so when I die, it just depends on what my family or girlfriend (or my kids, if I have kids then) will do with my collection....

And no, I won't write a will just for my collection. :D

Oddly enough my wife and I talked about this recently as we've prepared our wills. 

1. If the kids still show any interest in any or all of them the of course get first dibs. 

2. If there is a friend or family member that shares the interest/hobby they can take what they want.

3. Sell them at fair market value to the community

Honestly my first preference is I just want the music to go to someone who enjoys it. If it's worth a great deal of money or not so be it. 

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Inspired by the discussion about the care for future fans.

That's some title for a thread, "When you die..." :blink:ROTFLMAO

I feel like ever since this Corona mess started, this planet partially died, anyway. And still no end in sight. 

The longer I think about it, the less I expect my children to own a CD player in the future.

And when I look at my golden age collection, there I clearly prefer re-recordings over original recordings. Probably, something similar will happen to these scores in 30 years when audio quality and equipment will improve and our CDs are no longer able to keep up with it. 

21 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The longer I think about it, the less I expect my children to own a CD player in the future.

And they don't need to. They can just rip them. 

Hell, I don't have a CD player anymore either... 

My CD collection would first go to my wife, but barring that, I would want it to go to a good Used CD store so that someone else can have their first exposure to this great music.

Passing on the music keeps it alive and relevant. If someone has the same kind of revelation as to this amazing body of work, then that is the best outcome.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What will happen to my CD collection? I won't care; I'll be dead.

I don't have anyone to leave it to.

I've always know...I'll die alone.

That's okay, keep your old CDs of Rush, no one cares about them! :lol:

I think it’s too early to tell how greedy my one month and two year olds are. Although, when I try to play a JW record, the two year old gives me a mean look and says he wants to watch Nemo. So it’s not looking too good. 

I think, part of the problem is, that our kids know John Williams scores mostly from the television (and from our CDs). These scores are made to be heard in the big cinema. That makes a completely different impression.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, part of the problem is, that our kids know John Williams scores mostly from the television (and from our CDs). These scores are made to be heard in the big cinema. That makes a completely different impression.

I've only heard his ST scores in the cinema. TV broadcast-recorded VHSes watched on a CRT made me a fan.

My father in law was an audiophile.  Top end equipment.  Huge collection of music.  After he passed away, it was sad watching his stuff be dismantled and sold just to move it out.  I really didn't even know myself how to get the best price for it.  I kept a few of his CDs, but we had different tastes, so most of them were I'm sure just donated.

Personally, I would love if the opportunity arose to find a young fan to whom my music could be gifted, because I don't think my family members would have a use for it.  Imagine being sort of into John Williams and someone wills you a complete collection.  Priceless.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

...until it turns out he's into John Williams the guitarist...

This has probably come up a bunch already on this forum so I apologise, but has anyone else noticed that Spotify has loads of JW the guitarist albums under the Maestro's discog?