Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022) by James Newton Howard

Smaug The Iron

Very excited for his third score in this series! (Less-so about the film lol) Other than the Hunger Games films, I don’t think Howard has had too many opportunities to create music for multiple films in a franchise. I’m one of the few who probably enjoyed his score to Grindelwald more than the first FB score. Looking forward to this :)

• 4 weeks later...

Much like Indy 5, I really don't care about the movie, just its score. Crimes of Grindelwald was so atrocious, it killed whatever interest I had in Newt, Tina, and their saga, but I'm happy they're still making those movies because they give JNH the opportunity to write more fantasy scores.

The Secrets of Dumbledore? Could these titles be any more cringe?

I guess market research showed that casual audiences didn't know or give a shit about some guy called 'Grindelwald' on that film, which is fair enough (though the "Fantastic Beasts" brand holds little relevance either).

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'd love to watch this movie, because it could explain how McGonagall was giving classes in Hogwarts even before she was born.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan beyond JW's scores, but...

nGMrD.gif

Bad title, bad director, wrong storyline, terrible characters (Dumbledore and co. Goes to show what JK thinks of the gays). I liked the first score at least.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Poor JNH, another WB windbag of unbearable length he has to sit through multiple times.

Let JNH score good fantasy movies!

The title is not very inspired, to be sure, but...Dumbledore has secrets aplenty.

I know I'm in the minority, here, but I found the COG to be a much more involving film than the first Fantastic Beasts.

I, for one, am looking forward to #3.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

Let JNH score good fantasy movies!

I'd love that, problem is most live action fantasy movies he scores range from mediocre (2003 Peter Pan, Maleficent, Snow White and the Huntsman) to absolutely horrible (Crimes of Grindelwald, Huntsman: Winter's War) to a crime against humanity and cinema (The Last Airbender).

I pity poor James who had to watch Last Airbender over and over again in order to score it. :( 

The first FB might be his best (non-animated) fantasy movie.

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

As a movie, yes. And scored in a month?! whoah

I still can't believe how good that score is with much of a time crunch JNH had to compose and record that score.

But then when he gets a project where he has the luxury of time and he's inspired, you can get stuff like Maleficent -- which is even better.

I haven't been impressed with JNH's Fantastic Beasts scores -- they're functional but they're not on the level of Maleficent or King Kong. Maybe it's because of the director or scripts.

• 1 month later...

Seems a bit early. Wasn't he just refamiliarising himself with the themes like two months ago?

He was on the first two for way longer than that.

Incidentally, I hope the recording is better than for CoG. There's lots of music there I think I'd love if it didnt sound like it was recorded underwater.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Awesome! His score is literally the only thing about this movie I am looking forward to.

18 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Awesome! His score is literally the only thing about this movie I am looking forward to.

I'm also looking forward to some more Jude Law. He's a terrifically charismatic actor, and if anyone will be able to elevate JKR's middling dialogue it's him, even if I can't remember much of the last film. Also I'm glad they made Dumbledore HOT. No reason for him not to have been in his prime. Imagining him and Mads Mikkelsen together is.... 🥵

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

What the... 38 three hour sessions? 38?!

It's like he recorded the entire score twice. Bizarre.

Exactly. I’d be having five martinis. 

I prefer FB1 to all the non-Williams scores. Then GOF which is a little shrill for me but too fun and memorable to ignore. FB2, I'd put about on par with the Desplats, expert with scattered highlights but the big picture is a little lacking. The Hoopers have some heart and entertainment value, they're just simple is all. 

My annual summary. I was about due. Looking forward to JNH again. 

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I prefer FB1 to all the non-Williams scores. Then GOF which is a little shrill for me but too fun and memorable to ignore. FB2, I'd put about on par with the Desplats, expert with scattered highlights but the big picture is a little lacking. The Hoopers have some heart and entertainment value, they're just simple is all. 

My annual summary. I was about due. Looking forward to JNH again. 

I'd rank them thus 

1. HP 1

2. FB 1

3. HP 3

4. FB 2

5. HP 2

then the rest

FB1 is an enormously imaginative score. FB2 will not as cohesive also has some absolutely stunning highlights. HP2 is low because its best moments are recycled from HP1 and the new material is good but not great.

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

FB 2's score is basically the only good thing about that awful movie. It's not as bright and expansive as the first one, but there's some tremendous highlights. 

Hard to be make bright and expansive writing when you have a movie like this too watch with unfinished SFX (I know they're still unfinished in the movie) and no music. I would personally have leave the room, read the script, write few suite and say "edit them as you want I can't stand a second watching"

10 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Hard to be make bright and expansive writing when you have a movie like this too watch with unfinished SFX (I know they're still unfinished in the movie) and no music. I would personally have leave the room, read the script, write few suite and say "edit them as you want I can't stand a second watching"

Poor JNH is used to having to watch atrocious movies over and over again in order to score them. He did Green Lantern, The Happening, The Last Airbender, that Snow White flick with Chris Hemsworth, and a lot of other crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...