John Williams Chronology

Ricard

I'm recently working on a JW conducting/concert history. Will share it later in the year here. The BSO archive lists all concerts of the Pops and BSO, but are missing concerts outside Boston. And of course Johnny was quite active with other orchestras around the US.

1983-11-26 & 27: Williams conducts the Buffalo Philharmonic on his own Flute Concerto with soloist Carol Wincenc plus  Walton's Johannesburg Festival Overture, Tippet's Suite in D and Holst's The Planets.

Yup very cool idea, I had been planning on starting something very similar at some point.  I'll try to contribute what I can when I think of it

This is a really great idea. But I think it would work a lot better as a website, maybe a wikipedia-type page that people can freely edit. I can imagine a JW chronology having at least 1000 dates (100+ score recordings and releases, 100+ concert works premieres and major performances, several hundred concerts, etc.) The project is cool but daunting for a forum!

@Jay, just wondering, would such a page be possible somewhere on jwfan or would there need to be (yet) another JW-dedicated website?

If I understand Ricard's intentions properly (which I have been known to epicly fail at more than once, but I think I got this one right), he is going to do exactly that: Take all the information people post in this thread, and combine it all together in one place - the main post of this thread. 

His main post says the updated list "will be added to this main post on a regular basis"

8 minutes ago, The Lost Folio said:

But I think it would work a lot better as a website, maybe a wikipedia-type page that people can freely edit.

What would be really cool is to categorise every event and make the list filterable by category!

That was how I was going to do it, yea.  So you could see just his recording session dates, just his published interviews, just his concert work premieres, etc.

It's a lot of work though, which is why I hadn't started yet - got some other projects to launch first.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, KittBash said:

So this has been in the back of my head ever since @Ricard brought it up almost 2 years ago... 

I finally decided to give it a go and started something that I've been working on... it is in no way complete but it's a start. I've been picking away at it here and there but I thought it might get the ball rolling... even if it is 2 years later :P

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sgepya2i8LU2TPesQRGltWtQJ7yNXDCOubwqDKqwg4I/edit?usp=sharing

This is wonderful! 

Your spreadsheet will be the reference document and will eventually be linked from the main page for quicker access. 

I'm sure this may motivate other members (@Miguel Andrade,@Thor...) to contribute valuable information that has not yet been incorporated, if they deem it appropriate.

Thank you so much!

It's a great idea, Kitt, and one I would be glad to contribute to, but the question is if a lot of the information gathering will be considered moot if and when Tim's book comes out next year, or in 2025. I'm sure he's on top of most dates and events at this point.

8 hours ago, KittBash said:

So this has been in the back of my head ever since @Ricard brought it up almost 2 years ago... 

I finally decided to give it a go and started something that I've been working on... it is in no way complete but it's a start. I've been picking away at it here and there but I thought it might get the ball rolling... even if it is 2 years later :P

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sgepya2i8LU2TPesQRGltWtQJ7yNXDCOubwqDKqwg4I/edit?usp=sharing

Great work! Would you mind turning it into a biography?

1 minute ago, KittBash said:

HA HA! Thanks @Jurassic Shark! Yeah I think Tim Greiving both has that covered and is infinitely more qualified then I would ever hope to be :)  

That might be, but you have the chance of beating him to the finishing line. ;)

Really great idea! I like how you lay out the information. I agree that this raw data is as essential for research as a full biography. 

Suggestion: do you think it would be possible to add a column with the source? We might avoid debates later on if every entry says where the information is pulled from (ex: LLL booklet (including page #), newspaper article, Oscars website, etc.). It may be a bit academic, but hey, why are we here anyway? 🧐

Good luck! It's a great start already! I'm sure we'd all like to contribute. 

My suggestion for a bit of legibility: the different colors in the left columns for the different types of events is a good idea, but what if the colors were instead applied to the background of the entire row? Just the faintest least saturated variants, would help a bit maybe with a quicker overlook, "damn he had a lot of concerts this year" etc.

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Does anyone know when JW first conducted a concert of only his own music? I presume it was sometime in the 80s after he became the Boston Pops conductor.

We've been searching high and low for any 60s PUBLIC concert conducting efforts (in another thread), but I don't remember what came of it. There are several in the 70s, though, right? I think he guest conducted the Boston Pops before he took over in 1980, for example. Although presumably not ONLY his own music. Other people know more about this than I do.

Another Big update pushed... This one I will affectionately call the "Expanded Fruit Loops" Update... Focusing mostly on getting all of the expanded Editions taken care of from the mid 90's to now as well as after @Holko's suggestion that we try some color coding Ive tried just that (hence the Fruit Loops comment) 

A couple of sad dates that just occurred to me:

1974/03/03

Barbara Ruick dies in Reno, NV

1985/10/19

Johnny Williams dies in LA

And a rather happier one:

1960/09/01

Joseph Stanley Williams born in Santa Monica, CA

Source for all: Wikipedia (yawn)

Williams did conduct the Boston Pops on tour in LA at the Bowl, around 1978 and/or 79, filling it for an ailing Arthur Fiedler.

During the late 70's he started doing a lot more of public conducting, both in LA and in the UK. He appeared at Filmharmonic a few times.

Before that he surely had done some public performing (in his teens he had a band and during his time in New York he played in clubs with Vic Damone and others, including the prestigious Copacabana), but it was cut down has he become more engaged with the Hollywood studios work. He also did some band directing in Las Vegas, in the late 50's or early 60's.

There was a concert, in the early 60's that featured his music from Checkmate, I think at the Hollywood Bowl, but I can't recall right now if he was one of the conductors.

From JW’s liner notes to the 1983 Leonard Slatkin recording of the Flute and first Violin Concertos (VSD-5345):

• ’I began composing the [violin] concerto in 1974, finishing it October 19, 1976.’

1990s London Symphony Orchestra concert dates, all at the Barbican Concert Hall, London:

• 1996/06/30
  • 1998/07/02
  • 1998/07/03

Some more recording dates (all taken from the relevant liner notes):

• 1956/10/03 + 18: The John Towner Touch; recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood (the track Hello was recorded on the 18th - the first John Williams composition to be professionally recorded for general release?)
  • 1956/11/02: four tracks for Modern Jazz Gallery; recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood
  • 1957/05/08: two tracks for Remembering with Marjorie Lee; recorded at Glen Sound, Hollywood
  •  1957/10/03, 04 + 14: World on a String; recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood
  • 1958/02/24: Son Nice!; recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood
  • 1990/03/19 + 20: John Williams conducts John Williams - The Star Wars Trilogy (SK45947); recorded at Skywalker Sound, CA
  • 1990/05/18, 19 + 25: The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration (SK45997); recorded at Symphony Hall, Boston
  • 1995/05/25, 26 + 29: Williams on Williams - The Classic Spielberg Scores (SK68419); recorded at Symphony Hall, Boston
  • 1996/01/06, 10 + 13: Summon the Heroes (SK62622); recorded at Symphony Hall, Boston
  • 1996/06/22 + 29: The Five Sacred Trees (SK62729); recorded at Abbey Road Studio No 1, London
  • 1996/07/01 + 02: The Hollywood Sound (SK62788); recorded at Abbey Road Studio No 1, London

Great to have a record of just how active he was in London in summer 1996!

The whole album "Remembering with Marjorie Lee" was arranged by Williams, with his quintet performing. The actual CD release only states the year of the recording, being 1957 as mentioned on the post above, though no further info regarding month/day or venue is included.

Oh, and:

Call of the Champions: Tracks 2-12, 14: recorded at Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, 1999/12/9 + 10 and 2000/06/19 + 20.

Tracks 1 & 13: recorded 2001/11/27 at Maurice Abravanel Hall, Salt Lake City

6 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The whole album "Remembering with Marjorie Lee" was arranged by Williams, with his quintet performing. The actual CD release only states the year of the recording, being 1957 as mentioned on the post above, though no further info regarding month/day or venue is included.

From liner notes to the 2006 compilation Jazz Beginnings:

IMG_2247.jpeg

Just great - this is shaping up just the way I was hoping!

Some corrections, if I may:

• Rows 261-263: Year should show 1979, not 1978
  • Row 608 (June 29) needs moving to just after row 610 (June 28)
  • In the 2001 entries, change spelling to ‘Philosopher’s’
  • Rows 760-770: change spelling to ‘Chamber’

Just a thought - maybe change Major Event descriptor to ‘Personal’?

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Some corrections, if I may:

Absolutely! There is a metric ton of info here... there are going to be typos and out of orders :)

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Just a thought - maybe change Major Event descriptor to ‘Personal’?

Yeah I've been thinking on the categories a bit... this could work as I'm having the same issue. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How do you add a filter to a google doc?

@Jay There are Filters and there are Slicers. For both options it is a similar setup. Go to the Data menu and choose one of the options (pictured below) It basically has you choose your field ranges / choose a column to use as the filter.

image.png

Filters and Slicer do very similar things except you cannot have merged cells in the column with filters (hence why the chronology sheet has a slicer). Filters also sit at the top of the column where a Slicer can be placed anywhere on the sheet. Another win for the Slicer is that you can change it to use different columns after it has been created or even just create multiple slicers. 

Their use and function after that is very similar. 

1 hour ago, KittBash said:

Another Update - This time focusing on updating OST's, adding/updating Pops & BSO albums, adding/updating work premiers and a slicer fix

• OST's - These looked a little sad after the expanded editions were put in there so it was time for an update. Each has release dates some format info as well as links to their release group on Music Brainz for those wanting to dig deeper. 
  • Pops & BSO albums - I added as much info as I could from liner notes and the BSO site
  • Compilations - albums going back to the early 2000's were added. Also, many
  • Work Premiers - were updated and added
  • Slicer issue fixed - The slicer no longer disappears when you use it :)

All told, Many upgrades to existing lines and over 240 new lines added

Next up some missing concert works and hopefully more interviews. 

Good work. Some suggestions: It would be useful to add the name of the orchestra in the concert category. It would also make sense to differentiate between concerts conducted by other conducters and Williams himself (e.g. concert premiers by Slatkin). I will post many concert additions later today or this week.

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

Good work. Some suggestions: It would be useful to add the name of the orchestra in the concert category.

I agree I've noticed some have it and some don't.... It's on the list :)

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

It would also make sense to differentiate between concerts conducted by other conducters and Williams himself (e.g. concert premiers by Slatkin). 

Also agree, trying to decide if other conductors should be in the list, I think just the ones where Williams was present at the very least should make the cut.

So many things to add... so little time :) 

Great work @KittBash, amazing work honestly!

All I can offer is humble thoughts on presentation, organization, and consistency.  I used the filter to show only "Major Events" and saw this:

image.png

1 - Why does "Major Event" one time have a larger font size?

2 - Why is his daugther's birth year listed as 1956, but his son's as "1958/??" in red?  All unknown dates should use identical formatting.

3 - Why is the Olympic line in one color, the AFI line in a second color, and the rest in a third color?

4 - How are you defining a "Major Event"?  His birth, the years he turned a year ending in 0, his marriages, and the birth of his children make sense.  But why is stuff like him being named conductors of the pops, one of his olympic themes debuting, or receiving an AFI award in the same category?  I would suggest the creation of a "Personal" category, to store all the stuff that isn't directly related to his music work.

Again, just my humble thoughts.  You're doing great work!

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

1 - Why does "Major Event" one time have a larger font size?

2 - Why is his daugther's birth year listed as 1956, but his son's as "1958/??" in red?  All unknown dates should use identical formatting.

3 - Why is the Olympic line in one color, the AFI line in a second color, and the rest in a third color?

4 - How are you defining a "Major Event"?  His birth, the years he turned a year ending in 0, his marriages, and the birth of his children make sense.  But why is stuff like him being named conductors of the pops, one of his olympic themes debuting, or receiving an AFI award in the same category?  I would suggest the creation of a "Personal" category, to store all the stuff that isn't directly related to his music work.

Again, just my humble thoughts.  You're doing great work!

AHH @Jay You have found me out! :P

Yeah, all of these things are true and is something I need to spend some time on. I said in my last post that 

23 hours ago, KittBash said:

Some formatting to come as well as still looking at categorizations and other suggestions I've received. Plus of course still lots to find and add

And you found several glaring reason's why I think it needs to happen :) ... I've spent so much time cramming as much info in as I can that it's time to do a pass on the presentation and organizational side of things. Another thing that happens is that this is a copy and paste from my master copy where I do all the work and it's not pulling the font weights across as it should... really only the work names should be bold and the rest of the entry is regular font size... I'm looking at a way to import all of this in future updates. 

For example in the public copy here's part of 2015

image.png

Vs my working copy

image.png

Much easier to scan names visually when everything isn't bold just the names. That and somehow several fonts have crept into the live copy that make it look like a muddied mess as well. 

So yeah long way to say You are absolutely right and I'm already on it LOL  I've already implemented the personal event vs other event types in the working copy.

• 2 weeks later...