Jay

LoveField_Deluxe_Cover_Banner_3000_4cbde

LOVE FIELD: DELUXE EDITION (CD)
JERRY GOLDSMITH
$ 19.98

UPC: 888072266858
Release Date: 08/27/2021

Regular price$ 19.98

Jerry Goldsmith was delighted to turn to “people pictures” in the early 1990s, seeking a change of pace from the action and genre movies that had dominated his schedule. The Russia House was the first, followed not long thereafter by another drama starring Michelle Pfeiffer: Love Field, directed by Jonathan Kaplan (The Accused). Pfeiffer and Dennis Haybert starred in an interracial romance amidst the racial strife of 1963 Texas, in the aftermath of the Kennedy assassination.

Goldsmith composed a tender Americana score for Love Field, with lyrical strings and bluesy piano offering warmth and period flavorings, not unlike his gentle, humanistic music for actual 1960s dramas. The film also features moments of suspense and action—as society looked askance on relations between races at the time—which Goldsmith captured with more intense strains.

Released by Varèse Sarabande at the time of the film, Goldsmith’s Love Field soundtrack has been expanded to nearly double the length for this Deluxe Edition. Also included is a bonus section of blues piano tracks performed by the prestigious rock and blues pianist, Bill Payne, which replaced some of Goldsmith’s music in the finished film.

Liner notes by Tim Greiving include new interview comments with Jonathan Kaplan and Bill Payne. Kaplan recalls advice from his father, the composer Sol Kaplan: “If you ever get the chance to work with Jerry Goldsmith, take it.” Good advice!

Limited to 2000 copies

TRACKLIST
1. Family Album (1:48)
2. The Posters (1:38)
3. The Assassination (2:28)
4. The Note (1:16)
5. On The Bus (1:56)
6. You Win (1:52)
7. The Accident (3:24)
8. First Words (1:08)
9. The Photos (1:17)
10. Lost Luggage (10:33)
11. Repairs (1:02)
12. I Don't Mind (:36)
13. The Map (1:05)
14. What's Going On? (1:08)
15. Roadside Incident (2:44)
16. The Visitors (1:43)
17. Pretending (2:07)
18. We’re Not Alone (2:32)
19. Staying Behind (1:34)
20. The Motel (6:29)
21. The Locket (1:22)
22. Together Again (5:37)

23. Sweet Girl Blues* (1:48)
24. Travelers Blues* (:59)
25. America: Thunder, Tears, Defiance (version one)* (:55)
26. Night Rollin’ On* (:35)
27. Mixed Signals* (2:17)
28. America: Thunder, Tears, Defiance (version two)* (1:02)
29. Boogie On Out a Here* (:28)
30. So Long Blues* (:25)
31. L.F. Blues – America: Thunder, Tears, Defiance* (4:12)
32. L.F. Blues – America: Thunder, Tears, Defiance (alternate take)* (4:13)

Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith

*Composed by Bill Payne

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/jerry-goldsmith-love-field-deluxe-edition-cd

Anyone know who produced, edited, assembled, mixed, and mastered this release?  Varese's PR dept continues to leave this information out.

This release looks great.  I had never heard of this score or film before the clues popped up, but I'm intrigued!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone know who produced, edited, assembled, mixed, and mastered this release?  Varese's PR dept continues to leave this information out.

This release looks great.  I had never heard of this score or film before the clues popped up, but I'm intrigued!

🤷‍♂️ Shame they don’t upload the back cover anymore. 

Great news, another Goldsmith to rediscover.

One negative point though: at this rythm of release Intrada and Varèse better should bring back to life Goldsmith or they'll be out of idea next year!!!

There's 26:30 of previously unreleased Goldsmith music on this album.

Intrada's premiere of Shamus is 25:50.

There's more unreleased Jerry in this score, than an entire one of his other scores

On 8/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, blondheim said:

There is much more than I thought.

I am especially curious what surrounds the Lost Luggage I know.

So actually, "Lost Luggage" on the old album was a mis-labeled "The Accident". The actual cue (all 10:33 of it) is premiering here for the first time, though it's not all action like Robert Townson described it to me when I interviewed him a couple years ago. There are some good bursts of action within, but the cue kinda runs the gamut of the score.

Just recorded a Soundtrack Spotlight episode last night and we hope to have it out by the end of the week...

Yavar

38 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So actually, "Lost Luggage" on the old album was a mis-labeled "The Accident". The actual cue (all 10:33 of it) is premiering here for the first time.

Ooh, thanks for that! 

Updated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QYA6aHxWNAfm5LarLdJyNpHZaoKQIra3hu_BOsDpbzQ

I remember when I got LOVE FIELD years and years ago, I had expected it to be a sweet, lyrical affair (like a MEDICINE MAN without the ethnic colours), and was surprised to see it so heavy on blues and down-and-dirty Americana. I proceeded to sell my CD, as it was not the Goldsmith I was looking for at the time. Perhaps it's time I give it another whirl (the OST, that is), to see if my opinion of it has changed.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:05 PM, Thor said:

I remember when I got LOVE FIELD years and years ago, I had expected it to be a sweet, lyrical affair (like a MEDICINE MAN without the ethnic colours), and was surprised to see it so heavy on blues and down-and-dirty Americana. I proceeded to sell my CD, as it was not the Goldsmith I was looking for at the time. Perhaps it's time I give it another whirl (the OST, that is), to see if my opinion of it has changed.

It is a sweet, lyrical affair for the most part. I don't know what "down-and-dirty Americana" is, but the blues elements are only in 2-3 cues, tops, of the complete edition. The expanded edition primarily expands on the sweet and lyrical side, actually developing themes for the main characters of Lurene and Paul, which on the original album don't even necessarily stick out as themes because they only appear once or twice (think Sybok's theme on the original Star Trek V album).

I know you don't like expansions Thor, but in this case you may honestly be more likely to like the expansion (which is only 55 minutes, not an outrageous length for you) rather than the original album, which was not a paltry 28.5 minutes long because that's what the composer wanted. It was 28.5 minutes long because that's what expensive re-use fees dictated at the time. The score was almost as hacked up on that original album as it was in the film itself, with most of the more subtle character development scoring left off in favor of the "big moments".

Yavar

• 2 years later...

I just realized I never actually shared a link to our Soundtrack Spotlight episode in this thread!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9149827-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-love-field-1992

spotlight_love_field.jpg

It's only 44 minutes but covers a good amount of detail (with generous sound samples) from this very important expansion, so I highly recommend giving it a listen if you're on the fence. I think it's sold out from Varese's US store, but it is on their International store, and at a generous discount!

https://intl.varesesarabande.com/products/jerry-goldsmith-love-field-deluxe-edition-cd/

Yavar

On 02/09/2021 at 6:31 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

It is a sweet, lyrical affair for the most part. I don't know what "down-and-dirty Americana" is, but the blues elements are only in 2-3 cues, tops, of the complete edition. The expanded edition primarily expands on the sweet and lyrical side, actually developing themes for the main characters of Lurene and Paul, which on the original album don't even necessarily stick out as themes because they only appear once or twice (think Sybok's theme on the original Star Trek V album).

I know you don't like expansions Thor, but in this case you may honestly be more likely to like the expansion (which is only 55 minutes, not an outrageous length for you) rather than the original album, which was not a paltry 28.5 minutes long because that's what the composer wanted. It was 28.5 minutes long because that's what expensive re-use fees dictated at the time. The score was almost as hacked up on that original album as it was in the film itself, with most of the more subtle character development scoring left off in favor of the "big moments".

Yavar

You may be right. At least one could create a playlist out of the expanded edition that focussed more on the lyrical and less on the blues. "Down-and-dirty" Americana was my (failed) attempt at describing the folksy elements that aren't big and Coplandesque, but rather closer to earth, like Williams' THE REIVERS or ROSEWOOD.

I didn't actually proceed to give it another chance in 2021, as I suggested earlier. Things tend to get in the way. But I'll be on the lookout for it!