Jump to content

Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's STAR TREK: PRODIGY (2021)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just gave it a few listens.  It's a pretty good theme.  I wonder if it will only be used for the main titles each week, or if it will be worked into the underscore.


I like very much how The Orville composers work Broughton's theme into their scores.

 

But in TNG and Voyager, did the individual episodes ever work Jerry's theme into their scores?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Star Trek show for children is a great idea. It's an awesome way to introduce the franchise to kids, who may not be eager to watch shows that their parents or grandparents used to like. And the older fans are getting older and more uninterested on the franchise as the years pass.

 

I mean, Paramount owns both Star Trek and Nickelodeon... It's astounishing they took this long to unite the two brands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt I'll see the show, but I'm excited for the score.

 

American Pickle was good, and Medal of Honor was GREAT, so this has a lot of potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It doesn't sound like he approached this one with much enthusiasm. But I can't help but think that his involvement here was to help Melumad get (and keep) the gig.

 

These Giacchino/Melumad collaborations remind me a great deal of how Lorne Balfe's career kicked off with team Zimmer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't care for this much, except the ending part starting from 1:05. 

 

I still think the best Star Trek theme Giacchino ever wrote was the main theme from "Secret Weapons Over Normandy". Optimistic to the max, appropriately Williams-y/Goldsmith-y. Not faux-epic like his eventual, disappointing Trek '09 one.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s almost as if the execs at Paramount asked him to write a theme similar to bland ones the had for Picard, Discovery etc etc.

 

I enjoy it more than those other themes but it seems to follow a trend. Almost feels like Rick Berman is still in charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ollie said:

It’s almost as if the execs at Paramount asked him to write a theme similar to bland ones the had for Picard, Discovery etc etc.

 

I enjoy it more than those other themes but it seems to follow a trend. Almost feels like Rick Berman is still in charge.

 

Thankfully Lower Decks seems to be under totally different leadership. :)

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 9:49 PM, Docteur Qui said:

Don't care for this much, except the ending part starting from 1:05. 

 

I still think the best Star Trek theme Giacchino ever wrote was the main theme from "Secret Weapons Over Normandy". Optimistic to the max, appropriately Williams-y/Goldsmith-y. Not faux-epic like his eventual, disappointing Trek '09 one.

 

 


That's more Ron Goodwin than Star Trek. But I agree that it's one of his strongest theme from one of the best scores he has ever written.

-Erik-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first 27 1/2 seconds ain’t bad—then it instantly goes to shit and mostly stays that way. Apologies to the Gia fans, but I don’t know what you hear in him. I wish I could hear it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gave this theme track another listen today, I still like it.  But frankly I'm much more curious to hear the episode to episode scoring than more of this theme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The melody is just kinda bland, there’s no paprika on the sandwich, so to speak.


 (@Jules will get the reference ;))

Lol. I was wondering if why on earth I'd get a notification for a Star Trek thread I'd never been in :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed this score but it felt like every Courage reference left the theme too quickly - why did they do this?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Is anybody able to get into this album at all?

 

I've tried twice and both times I end up tuning out after a while.  At 94 minutes it just goes on and on without much interesting bits to perk you up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/21 at 2:31 PM, Jay said:

Is anybody able to get into this album at all?

 

I've tried twice and both times I end up tuning out after a while.  At 94 minutes it just goes on and on without much interesting bits to perk you up

Yeah, a lot of skippable cues. Things only pick up on "Have a Nice Fight". But yeah.. the main theme is okay, but nothing special. The worst of the 3 Nami-Giacchino collaborations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.