Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's STAR TREK: PRODIGY (2021)

Jay

Just gave it a few listens.  It's a pretty good theme.  I wonder if it will only be used for the main titles each week, or if it will be worked into the underscore.

I like very much how The Orville composers work Broughton's theme into their scores.

But in TNG and Voyager, did the individual episodes ever work Jerry's theme into their scores?

A Star Trek show for children is a great idea. It's an awesome way to introduce the franchise to kids, who may not be eager to watch shows that their parents or grandparents used to like. And the older fans are getting older and more uninterested on the franchise as the years pass.

I mean, Paramount owns both Star Trek and Nickelodeon... It's astounishing they took this long to unite the two brands. 

It doesn't sound like he approached this one with much enthusiasm. But I can't help but think that his involvement here was to help Melumad get (and keep) the gig.

These Giacchino/Melumad collaborations remind me a great deal of how Lorne Balfe's career kicked off with team Zimmer.

Don't care for this much, except the ending part starting from 1:05. 

I still think the best Star Trek theme Giacchino ever wrote was the main theme from "Secret Weapons Over Normandy". Optimistic to the max, appropriately Williams-y/Goldsmith-y. Not faux-epic like his eventual, disappointing Trek '09 one.

It’s almost as if the execs at Paramount asked him to write a theme similar to bland ones the had for Picard, Discovery etc etc.

I enjoy it more than those other themes but it seems to follow a trend. Almost feels like Rick Berman is still in charge.

7 minutes ago, Ollie said:

It’s almost as if the execs at Paramount asked him to write a theme similar to bland ones the had for Picard, Discovery etc etc.

I enjoy it more than those other themes but it seems to follow a trend. Almost feels like Rick Berman is still in charge.

Thankfully Lower Decks seems to be under totally different leadership. :)

Yavar

On 9/7/2021 at 9:49 PM, Docteur Qui said:

Don't care for this much, except the ending part starting from 1:05. 

I still think the best Star Trek theme Giacchino ever wrote was the main theme from "Secret Weapons Over Normandy". Optimistic to the max, appropriately Williams-y/Goldsmith-y. Not faux-epic like his eventual, disappointing Trek '09 one.

That's more Ron Goodwin than Star Trek. But I agree that it's one of his strongest theme from one of the best scores he has ever written.

-Erik-

The first 27 1/2 seconds ain’t bad—then it instantly goes to shit and mostly stays that way. Apologies to the Gia fans, but I don’t know what you hear in him. I wish I could hear it. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The melody is just kinda bland, there’s no paprika on the sandwich, so to speak.

(@Jules will get the reference ;))

Lol. I was wondering if why on earth I'd get a notification for a Star Trek thread I'd never been in :P

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody able to get into this album at all?

I've tried twice and both times I end up tuning out after a while.  At 94 minutes it just goes on and on without much interesting bits to perk you up

On 17/11/21 at 2:31 PM, Jay said:

Is anybody able to get into this album at all?

I've tried twice and both times I end up tuning out after a while.  At 94 minutes it just goes on and on without much interesting bits to perk you up

Yeah, a lot of skippable cues. Things only pick up on "Have a Nice Fight". But yeah.. the main theme is okay, but nothing special. The worst of the 3 Nami-Giacchino collaborations

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...