Celebrating Women Composers - Fans Of Film Music 12 - Oct. 2nd, 2021

pjhackman

I don't understand the use of "female" in this context.

Maybe I will never understand english...

It would be impossible to name an event like this in french, because we have the same words... "Mâle" et "Femelle"... but we don't use them describe men and women in such context.

Impossible.

Please tell me, it's maybe... a bit... poorly worded?

No, it's not poorly worded, and the context is not ambiguous.

The event will feature a discussion panel of 5 female composers.  Holly Amber Church is one of them.  The next one is being announced tomorrow.

That's it.

Why don't use "women"? Or "feminine composers"?

The female of the chicken is the hen, that's the correct way to use "female", from my "french" point of view.

English is an idiot language.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The female of the chicken is the hen, that's the correct way to use "female", from my "french" point of view.

English is an idiot language.

You might think our language is ridiculous, but I think your laughs are ridiculous!

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

The problem with the word "women" in this context is that it is a noun and not an adjective, unlike "female", so that the expression "women composers" feels grammatically awkward. "Female composers", while grammatically sound, has a slightly odd euphemistic feeling to it so...swings and roundabouts!

"Feminine composers" doesn't exactly mean what was intended.

It's the price to pay for having "evolved" to a non gendered grammatical language I guess.

French did not follow this fashion, fortunately or not!

Happy to announce our first two guests; Heather McIntosh (Z for Zachariah, The Quarry, The L Word: Generation Q) and Holly Amber Church known as the Scream Queen Of Scoring.  Check out Holly's film Dark Light on Netflix or Open 24 Hours and Ruin Me, which area streaming on Shudder.  Tickets available, email me to secure a seat peter@fansoffilmmusic.com.  Masks and proof of vaccines mandatory. Saturday Oct. 2nd from 10am to noon.  1hr 15min panel discussion followed by an autograph signing with the guests.

https://www.fansoffilmmusic.com

file

file