18. Grief (2:05)
19. Is This What You Wanted? (3:17)
20. The Deep (2:35)
21. Inheritance (4:29)
22. I Won’t Leave You Again (4:13)
23. The Light and the Dark (1:46)
24. Qingming Jie (2:17)
25. Family (1:36)

Album will be released digitally this Wednesday, Sep 1st.

I actually skipped the IMAX press screening of this yesterday, as I'm all "marvelled out" at the moment.

I've encountered Joel P. West a few times in the past. I remember sampling his 2015 score to GRANDMA, for example. But nothing has stuck enough to make me keep it in my digital collection. This is obviously his big breakthrough assignment.

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s nice of Marvel to allow the director to use their regular/favored composer, and to not fire him and replace him with Giacchino or something.

Really Marvel mostly has a good record of not interfering with directors that have established composer relationships.  Branagh-Doyle, Coogler-Goransson, Gunn-Bates, and of course Raimi-Elfman next year.

Ultron and Black Widow are the only two movies that came to my mind for having significant behind-the-scenes composer drama.

Burwell was sacked from The Dark World. Taylor was quite open about how annoyed he was by this.

Giacchino on Doctor Strange has always seemed like a Marvel decision to me, but I might be wrong on that.

Not sure why Debney wasn't on the first Iron Man.

44 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Giacchino on Doctor Strange has always seemed like a Marvel decision to me, but I might be wrong on that.

Yeah, I think it was Marvel as well, because until then director Scott Derrickson's composer of choice was Christopher Young. IIRC, Young was even eager to start in Doctor Strange, it was the ideal project for him. Don't know why Marvel preferred Giacchino.

I remember reading a few years ago that Brian Tyler on Age of Ultron was Feige's choice because he liked his scores for Iron Man 3 and The Dark World - and Whedon was really annoyed by this, since he wanted to bring Silvestri back again.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:05 PM, Arpy said:

This film looks like an insta-flop. 

I hope not. I've never been a huge Marvel nerd but I really liked the film. My only real annoyance with it was small, personal, and unrelated to the typical annoyances I sometimes have with Marvel films.

The score was very effective. I haven't listened to it on its own and don't know that I have quite enough interest to do so, but it's more likely to happen than with some of the other Marvel scores.

I just watched the movie, and while I think it is pretty decent (better than Black Widow, mind you), I still think there's something... lacking about it. And I came to the conclusion it is the score.

The score is very small and intimate, even during the fight scenes. This is specially true for the climax, which is scored with some very music that isn't as epic as one would expect.

The score is so small, it makes the big action scenes feel very weird.

Maybe it's due to the pandemic, which made West work with a smaller ensemble of musicians than what we're used to? I don't think I've heard a single brass instrument during the whole score, I think it was performed just by a string section and some Chinese instruments.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The score is very small and intimate, even during the fight scenes. This is specially true for the climax, which is scored with some very music that isn't as epic as one would expect.

The score is so small, it makes the big action scenes feel very weird.

Maybe it's due to the pandemic, which made West work with a smaller ensemble of musicians than what we're used to? I don't think I've heard a single brass instrument during the whole score, I think it was performed just by a string section and some Chinese instruments.

Yeah, maybe the theater you went to had a lack in their sound system. I definitely heard brass during the action sequences, particularly the climax.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:36 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Shang-Chi as a movie was amazing. Cast, story, VFX & cinematography are mind-blowing. Something totally new for the MCU

The score, for me personally, is all I wanted. Big orchestra, Chinese instruments and themes.

I also thought it was great that they not always decided to score the action but the drama in the fight/action scenes. That really gave a strong emotional connection with the characters and made it clear that they were not just fighting for cool scenes. The story drove the action.

And that really transcended beautifully in the music.

This. I echo this statement.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, ddddeeee said:

Burwell was sacked from The Dark World. Taylor was quite open about how annoyed he was by this.

Taylor could have avoided being so annoyed by having artistic integrity and keeping Doyle from the start. 

Listened to this today. Really enjoyed the overall sound and flavor of this one. I’m sure more will stick out after I see the film. I think West did a great job of seizing such a great opportunity.