Jump to content

James Horner's GLORY (1989) - NEW! 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

I wonder if it was planned for the 30th anniversary in 2019 and got delayed, like how all three of LLL's other 2021 UMG titles came out slight ly after big anniversaries -- X-Men (one year after its 20th), Always (2 years after its 30th), and Somewhere in Time (1 year after its 40th)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose it might be time to finally watch the film. Bought a 4K Blu-ray a couple of months ago in a deal but never got around to even taking the shrink wrap off it. 

 

I absolutely adore the score as heard on the old album. 

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

if i consider Dances With Wolves one of my all time favorite scores (which i do).....would i enjoy this?

 

There is no wolf in Glory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What does that score have to do with this score? 

 

dances with wolves has some good militaristic motifs

 

wow just took a listen of some cues on youtube, all i hear is avatar on one of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Glory is in the AFI list... AND... in my CD collection.

 

Do you need any other proofs you need this new expansion?

 

image.png

 

if it's not in your personal thread, then i dont give a sh*t

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news! It's a wonderful score.

 

But I thought the OST included pretty much every highlight. Does anyone know how much music is missing from the old OST?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usually that's the goal of an OST... to include pretty much every highlight, except if the composer wants to create a "moody" album based on a specific ambiance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Great news! It's a wonderful score.

 

But I thought the OST included pretty much every highlight. Does anyone know how much music is missing from the old OST?

30 minutes at least?

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Does anyone know how much music is missing from the old OST?

 

Source music, film versions of a few album tracks, and potentially some unused cues. I, for one, am looking forward to the alternate "Charging Fort Wagner", if it was indeed recorded

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

 

Source music, film versions of a few album tracks, and potentially some unused cues. I, for one, am looking forward to the alternate "Charging Fort Wagner", if it was indeed recorded

You mean the one Horner mentioned in that one seminar video? 

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So glad this is getting an expansion. I’m very curious to hear what additional music will be included.
 

I’m pretty familiar with the film. The only music missing from the ost that I can recall is 1) when Shaw descends the stairs to his family party and has a little moment of survivors guilt/PTSD during which a haunting boys choir requiem-ish piece plays for about 15-20 seconds. 2) A full celebratory statement of that “sons of Scotland-ish” theme when Shaw awakes in the morning to find that none of the camp has deserted. 3) The parade source music that blends into a lovely statement of the main theme with a gorgeous cascading string section.

 

There might be some other odds and ends. But overall not more than 5-10 minutes missing that play in film that aren’t on the ost. But I imagine there are some  unused cues that I would love to hear along with alternates. 
 

This is a ridiculously well-spotted film btw. I think a lesser composer and director would have been tempted to pile on the music. The music use is kept to a minimum so as to be that much more powerful when it appears.

 

A five star masterpiece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

You mean the one Horner mentioned in that one seminar video? 

 

Karol

 

I didn't know that he had mentioned it in a seminar. Do you have a link to it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Charging Fort Wagner has a bad case of temptrack-itis but the rest of the album is lovely.

 

I like Orff's "O Fortuna!" from Carmina Burana a lot (though my favorite movement of that work is the one after it) ... but am I the only person who likes Horner's take on it even better (and Goldsmith's in First Knight too, for that matter)?

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

if i consider Dances With Wolves one of my all time favorite scores (which i do).....would i enjoy this?

 

I like Dances With Wolves quite a bit, but I've never managed to really get into the Glory OST.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rather like Burning the Town of Darien and the closing credits, but that's pretty much it. I rented the DVD years back to take a poke at the isolated score.

 

Not an expansion I need (Not sure there are any Horners I'd buy expanded actually), but nice that it's out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Willow will happen at some point, it's a beloved score. Let's hope it doesn't take too long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I literally just linked a post where a label head confirmed it's coming - he even said its "approved" (though I assume that means the license is approved, not the final product)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me too!  It's been one of my favorite Horner scores since I was a kid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jay said:

Me too!  It's been one of my favorite Horner scores since I was a kid

 

Since 4 years? Wow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

 

I like Orff's "O Fortuna!" from Carmina Burana a lot (though my favorite movement of that work is the one after it) ... but am I the only person who likes Horner's take on it even better (and Goldsmith's in First Knight too, for that matter)?

 

Yavar

 

I don't like Arthur's Farewell or Charging Fort Wagner better than O Fortuna and you shouldn't either ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

How about the O Fortuna knockoff in Conan the Barbarian by Poledouris? ;)

 

Yavar

 

Hey now, that's a low blow... but touche: I may like Riders of Doom better than O Fortuna.

 

But are we just throwing all intense choir pieces in a bin and saying they are all O Fortuna knockoffs? I mean, I know Arthur's Farewell and Riders of Doom were inspired by Orff. There can be no doubt. I wouldn't call either piece particularly temp-tracky though while Charging Fort Wagner very clearly hits all the same beats, most obviously the triumphant burst at the end. It's not Grand Demon Parade-level but it's up there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Hey now, that's a low blow... but touche: I may like Riders of Doom better than O Fortuna.

 

Haha. For me, Poledouris > Goldsmith > Horner > Orff's original "O Fortuna". That said, I probably like the following "Fortune Plango Vulnera" by Orff more than the Goldsmith and the Horner... it might approach the Poledouris for me.

 

 

10 minutes ago, blondheim said:

But are we just throwing all intense choir pieces in a bin and saying they are all O Fortuna knockoffs? I mean, I know Arthur's Farewell and Riders of Doom were inspired by Orff. There can be no doubt. I wouldn't call either piece particularly temp-tracky though while Charging Fort Wagner very clearly hits all the same beats, most obviously the triumphant burst at the end. It's not Grand Demon Parade-level but it's up there.

 

Actually I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that O Fortuna was in the temp track for both Conan the Barbarian and First Knight. I'm pretty sure I've heard Goldsmith was annoyed about having to ape Orff. He did a great job though, making his different enough. You're right that Horner's is the closest -- particularly at the beginning and end. It's the main middle section of the Horner I like best (and a little better than the original O Fortuna).

 

Yavar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the vocals at the start of the End Credits..

 

...Bom Bom..Bidi bidi Bom Bom......

 

Anyone got the full lyric?

 

BTW, It appears Jeff Bond was 'Called to Arms' to write the liner notes-he confirmed it on facebook. (no fb link yet.Im at office sans fb acccess.Jay)

 

Also OST will be likely reprised and remastered along with the film program.

Also becuase it won a Grammy Award in 1990 so that usualy gurantees the  studio deal to include the OST program in the reissue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

 

I didn't know that he had mentioned it in a seminar. Do you have a link to it?

Will try to find it. Bear with me. 

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.