James Horner's GLORY (1989) - NEW! 2021 2-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

This is a fantastic release, and I’ve enjoyed listening while reading along with Omni’s publication as well!  The film version cues are interesting as well - with the inclusion of them there really is a lot of new music on this release.  Very well done.  And the sound quality of the film score truly adds a lot of clarity to the individual colors in the music.  The OST presentation definitely sounds restored but it steers closer to the mixing of the original album, which is appropriate.

Neil has posted an interesting story on FSM that reveals that actual film take of "Worth A Life" was recorded at a pickup session whose elements didn't turn up, so they included the 3 circled takes from the original sessions and put the one closest to the film take in the main program. 

Also recorded at this late pick-up session was one cue that was luckily on the OST, so they had to use the album master for that track.

Here's a little history on "Glory." We started work on it in 2017 with a set of DATs that didn't have slates. With so many unused cues we sought out the digital multi-tracks. Despite the original album saying it was from analog tapes we never found any. On top of that, I suspect the methodology was to record 24-track analog and mix on 32-track digital. That lines up with our tapes and we wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel anyway, since "Glory" sounds so fantastic so having the digital was fine.

Anyway, with the digital multi-track we had slates and I could ID the unused cues. Great, wonderful! However, even with all of these tapes, there was one cue that was released on the OST that was not on our session DAT and was not on our multi-track mix reels. We did an extensive search at the studio and nothing turned up.

My guess is there was a pick-up session. I checked with the AFM, but they didn't have a list of recording dates. I have a copy of a 20+ year old fax they sent me with one date on it that corresponded with the reels we did have, so that wasn't much help. As an aside, the dates in the booklet are derived from the multi-track reels we used.

For the cue we didn't have any recordings of we used the album master. For "Worth A Life" we present the three circled takes from the digital multi-track with the one that's closest to what's heard in the film in the main program.

I hope you can see we searched high and low on this project for a few years. Sometimes weird things happen. And you know what else? I'm in the middle of another project right now and the exact same thing has happened. I have multiple tapes with the entire score except one cue which again was on the OST, thank goodness.

Thanks for listening!

Neil

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145053&forumID=1&archive=0

I wonder if it is possible to figure out which cue is the one they pulled from the album master.  I also wonder why Neil chose not to just name which cue it was in his post.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if it is possible to figure out which cue is the one they pulled from the album master.  I also wonder why Neil chose not to just name which cue it was in his post.

Should be identifiable via a spectogram comparison...

On 9/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, Joe Brausam said:

I’ve enjoyed listening while reading along with Omni’s publication as well! 

Oh, fun!  Maybe you can answer some questions for me then?

1 - The Omni book lists an "After Antietam", "After Antietam (Revised)", and "After Antietam ("Alternate').  Which of those lines up with LLL track 1-02 "After Antietam (Film Version)" and which lines up with OST track 2 "After Antietam"?  And what is different about the 3rd version that's in the book?

2 - The Omni book has "Flashback" and "Flashback (Original Version)".  The LLL set has "Flashback", "Flashback (Alternate No. 1)" and "Flashback (Alternate No. 2)".  Which lines up with which?

3 - The Omni book cue "Fife and Drums" lines up with LLL track 1-22 "Jefferson and Liberty" while the Omni book cue "Jefferson and Liberty" lines up with both LLL track 1-05 "Jefferson and Liberty (Full Version)" and LLL track 1-24 "Jefferson and Liberty (Film Mix)".... Is that all correct?

4 - The Omni book has two cues - "54th Regiment (Film Version)" and "54th Regiment (Revised)".  Are these on the LLL set?  Maybe as "Worth A Life", since the Omni book has no cue by that name?

Thanks!

WOAH, fascinating stuff, Joe!

So it sounds like the actual book has different cues inside than the website lists as the Contents, so that led to some of the confusion!

Interesting about the Omni book having music that isn't on the LLL set.  I wonder if they were definitely never recorded, or if they were recorded on that final pickup day the masters didn't turn up for?

So much more to parse through here, I'll try to do so at a later time

Yep, the contents of the book I think k match what’s on the website, but the titles in the book do not.  It’s definitely a lot, that 6M2 situation is interesting - so many different versions!

Over the next few days I’ll try to put together a full comparison so we can see what we do and don’t have, maybe do a quick mock-up or two.

Yea, the section of the main program in between "Burning The Town Of Darien" and "Brave Words and Deeds" is just terrific!

Not having listened to the OST album a lot prior to getting this edition, I didn't go into it knowing offhand which tracks were old and which were new.  But when I noticed something really awesome and went to look at what track I was listening to, it was definitely that entire section plus Worth A Life that made me take notice as far as previously unreleased cues go

I think the more I listen to "The Battle Of Grimball’s Landing", the more I find it to be exceptionally awesome.

The alternate Charging Fort Wagner is very interesting indeed. Is it just me or does the orchestra seem a little loose/sloppy in that one? 😬 That might sound mean. And it might be because I’m used to the film version. I know it’s a different piece of music, but the performance of it just seems kinda …unsure of itself(?) Like it was the first time they played it…

That could very well be the case.  They might have never come back to nail down a better take once it was decided to rewrite the cue, so all we can get is early takes before they really nailed the performance

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

That could very well be the case.  They might have never come back to nail down a better take once it was decided to rewrite the cue, so all we can get is early takes before they really nailed the performance

That’s a good theory.

Relistening now and I feel like it’s the choir that actually seems pretty loose. And so it feels like the orchestra is a tad off. 

Customized the main program juuust a tad.

I dropped “New Shoes” completely. (I love the tune when it’s integrated with the main 54th theme in “Year of Jubilee” though) I also switched “Lonely Christmas” to play before “The Decision/Second Flashback” as that big swelling statement of the “Fragility theme” seems like a great conclusion to the idea started in lonely Christmas.  Also, the eerie build at the conclusion of Second Flashback is a great lead in to “The Whipping”. Just my personal taste:) But it’s worth a try for the curious:

A Call to Arms-

After Antietam (Film Version)

Flashback

Flashback Alternate 1 (just like this one here. Not sure why)

Forming the regiment (FV)

Jefferson & Liberty (FV)

Lonely Christmas

The Decision/Second Flashback

The Whipping

Worth A Life 

Year of Jubilee

Burning Town of Darien

Our Time

Battle of Grimball’s Landing

Promise Me/When Do You Want Us

Brave Words and Deeds

Prep For Battle

Charging Fort Wagner

An Epitaph To War

Closing Credits

I think this might be the most significant Horner expansion in recent memory. Normally expansions of his scores don’t add a ton to already great scores. But the trio of Our Time/Grimball’s Landing/Promise Me are truly essential cues to this score and I’m so thankful we have them now!

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Does anyone know where all the source cues are supposed to go within the main program?

Hmm. I’ll probably need to watch the film one more time. But I could put a rough list together. 

Just now, WampaRat said:

Hmm. I’ll probably need to watch the film one more time. But I could put a rough list together. 

If I were more familiar with the film, I would do it myself honestly but I haven't seen it since grade school.

-Drei Klavierstucke goes between After Antietam and Flashback

-Old 1812, Jefferson & Liberty, Jefferson & Liberty (Full Version), and Jefferson & Liberty (Film Mix) go between Forming The Regiment and The Decision/Second Flashback 

-Hoist The Flag goes between Worth A Life and The Year Of Jubilee

-The Sicilian Circle comes right after The Year Of Jubilee

As for the rest, I have to investigate

Here’s my take as best as I can recall:

A Call To Arms

After Antietam

Drei Klavierstucke, DV 946 (plays during Shaw family party and fades into “Flashback”)

Flashback

Forming the Regiment
Jefferson and Liberty- Full Version

Jefferson And Liberty(?) (I believe this is used during the drill sergeant montage as well as the recruitment scene)

The Decision/Second Flashback
Lonely Christmas

The Whipping

New Shoes/ Old 1812 (same-ish as new shoes I think? It might play in the background somewhere…)

Hoist the Flag (Parade music that bleeds into “worth a life” in the film)

Worth a Life

Year of Jubilee

The Sicilian Circle - (I Believe this plays after the school children sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” after the 54th arrive in the South)

Burning the Town of Darien

Our Time

Battle of Grimball’s Landing

Promise Me/When do You Want Us

The Bonnie Blue Flag (This might actually go in between “Promise Me” right after the battle of Grimball’s  in a camp and before “When Do You Need us”)

Brave Words Braver Deeds

Preparations of Battle

Charging Fort Wagner

Epitaph to War

Closing Credits

By the way, when I saw the film I vividly remember that the Opening scene had that trumpet fanfare (lifted from Forming The Regiment cue) and the snare drum opening from A Call to Arms-(With Wild Opening) Track 13, Disc 2 .Has this been mentioned in the liner notes?

I wish they had used the same edit from the film sequence and used that to start the film program on disc 1. I still don’t understand why this Track 13 from disc 2 was not placed as the opening for disc 1?

Im still waiting for my set to ship (no thanks to WRATH OF KHAN) LOL.

One curiosity about the parade scene: compared to the isolated score, it appears that none of the versions of "Worth A Life" or even "Hoist The Flag" on the LLL set match the corresponding scene in the film

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yesterday morning just before arriving at work, I played "Battle At Grimball's Landing" and "Charging Fort Wagner (Alternate)" in my car.  I arrived at work ready to go!!

Did you kill anybody?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yesterday morning just before arriving at work, I played "Battle At Grimball's Landing" and "Charging Fort Wagner (Alternate)" in my car.  I arrived at work ready to go!!

This album is awesome.  Great expansion

Those are the two. I can't imagine Glory without these two cues now. The new Glory album is a great testament to the importance of these releases. The release revealed a different facet to this work. My perspective on this piece as a whole has definitely changed, and for the better.

Another thing that made me enjoy the score was the awesome colored chart that visualizes when Horner uses each of the major themes.  It's a way to describe theme usage in a score that I've never seen before and it motivates me to want to make similar charts for other scores!

Here it is: https://www.patreon.com/posts/56157322

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Another thing that made me enjoy the score was the awesome colored chart that visualizes when Horner uses each of the major themes.  It's a way to describe theme usage in a score that I've never seen before and it motivates me to want to make similar charts for other scores!

Go for it!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah! That chart is amazing. It would be bonkers to see something like that for Hook - an insane amount of thematic material in that. Or could you imagine a chart like that for Shores LOTR scores? very cool.