Elmer Bernstein's STRIPES (1981) - NEW! 2021 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

STRIPES: 40th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1569
Music by Elmer Bernstein
Limited Edition of 2000 UNITS
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98

STARTS SHIPPING SEPT 28

La-La Land Records and Columbia Pictures proudly present a limited edition expanded and remastered release of legendary composer Elmer Bernstein’s (THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, GHOSTBUSTERS) original motion picture score to the 1981 big-screen comedy classic, STRIPES, starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Warren Oates, and directed by Ivan Reitman. Bernstein expertly melds robust military and heroic motifs with blues-and-jazz infused comedy riffs to create one of the most iconic scores to one of the most popular ‘80s era comedies. Newly remixed by Michael McDonald from the original analog 3-track tapes and featuring nearly ten minutes of additional music, this definitive CD release, commemorating the film’s 40th Anniversary, shines light on Bernstein’s deft and inspired handling of comedy, a vital part of the movie’s rousing success. Produced by Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this limited edition of 2000 units also features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jon Kaplan and art design by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

SCORE PRESENTATION

1. Overture (The March From “Stripes”) 1:33
2. Winger 1:29
3. Depression :43
4. Push-Ups 2:12
5. In :28
6. The March From “Stripes” 2:19
7. Haircut 2:38
8. First March :21
9. Training 1:53
10. Threat :28
11. Escape 1:40
12. Cops 1:25
13. Celebration / Victory 1:45
14. Home / Contact 2:19
15. Graduation March 2:23
16. Italy / Resurrection 1:18
17. EM-50 :44
18. Gone 2:27
19. Captured 1:30
20. To The Rescue 1:08
21. Into The Fire 2:55
22. Rocket :53
23. Rescued 1:50
24. Guard Shack :56
25. Moving :30
26. V-J-R 2:32
27. Freeze Frames 3:48
28. End Credits 2:13

TOTAL SCORE TIME: 47:18

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

29. “Stripes” Trailer 2:08
30. End Credits (Extended Version) 2:49

TOTAL ADDITIONAL MUSIC TIME: 4:57

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 52:15

Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13-U3bJAFkZ_6KQ_SdecCuxyhOFLhjcq79toW2y5NAUo

I'm assuming "Missing" on the Varese is the same thing as "Celebration / Victory" on the LLL

It looks like both "Freeze Frames" and "End Credits" are longer than their Varese counterparts, even before the new "Extended Edition" of the End Credits

• 2 weeks later...

STRIPES - this came in earlier than expected so the LLL monkeys are working tirelessly to get your orders out as quickly as possible.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145273&forumID=1&archive=0

I haven't seen this flick since I was in college.  I think I'll watch it again before checking out the new album, which I'll buy with whatever I want from LLL's October batch

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I took the shrinkwrap off my copy and am listening to this album for the first time right now.

It's a hoot!  The Stripes March is so much fun, as is the integration of London Bridge Is Falling Down, but also Winger's theme is really fun too!

I briefly perused the liner notes by John Kaplan and they have some funny moments in them too.  I'll read the whole booklet later tonight!

Oh hey, track 17 (EM-50) has a melody that sounds just like Johnny's Rebel Fanfare from Star Wars!

I considered writing “someone” or being ambigously specific by saying “a special label”, but decided against it.

”They”, at this point, represents anyone or any body of people with the possibility of licensing and officially putting out a soundtrack for a short film produced about 40 years ago.

You know - they!