J.K. Rowling didn't like JW because the music didn't sound English enough? Fact or fiction?

Tallguy

Since she wanted the whole thing to be English, I wouldn't be surprised if she did say this. And she's right. Then again, the sound he created for HP1 is perfect in every way, so I don't see the problem.

I mean, Rowling thought (Goblet of Fire), that Bulgaria is a cold northern country where everyone wears fur hats.

What does she know about the rest of the world outside Great Britain?

One look into an atlas would have been enough to prove her wrong.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

She's already been cancelled, you transgender-ignorant human being unaware of Twitter meltdowns!

Although your reply was in jest, I seriously don't recognise the authority of twitterarians or their ability to cancel anyone. 

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, Rowling thought (Goblet of Fire), that Bulgaria is a cold northern country where everyone wears fur hats.

What does she know about the rest of the world outside Great Britain?

One look into an atlas would have been enough to prove her wrong.

Not true. Durmstrang isn't in Bulgaria.

But whatever.

21 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That is not true. Viktor Krum is from Bulgaria but Durmstrang is located in Norway or Sweden. Durmstrang is a international school for anyone in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Smaug The Iron said:

That is not true. Viktor Krum is from Bulgaria but Durmstrang is located in Norway or Sweden. Durmstrang is a international school for anyone in Europe. 

That's interesting. I didn't get that in the book.

Taken back.

Anyway, there is much that can be critizied about the movies. John Williams' music is probably the least of it.

I've no idea if this rumor is true, but the irony is that parts of Desplat's scores (particularly the second one) sound more like typical modern Hollywood scoring than Williams does. And then the parts that don't sound that way remind me of Williams more than Doyle or Hooper. Not to mention the verbatim Williams quotes in Part 2.

But Desplat ain't a Yankee. 

@SilverTrumpet There’s a way of saying 'This piece didn't stand out to me' instead it just sounds like you have a hearing problem you want the world to know about. You're like a devout vegan, only, John Williams is your pick-up line!

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Rowling should give a call to Lorne Balfe and ask him (and his ghostwriters) to re-score the first three movies. After all, he's Scottish!

Don't give her ideas...

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

But Desplat ain't a Yankee.

He's a frog so not sure that it's better either to her...

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I heard this somewhere. I think she said he sounded too Russian?

Is this true? Or am I spreading baseless rumors?

Not sure whether Rowling said it or not (somehow I doubt it), but that's definitely true.

Tchaikovsky was a major influence on Williams. That's common knowledge.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Mate, we have multi-page threads on aspect ratios and the love of jeans here. You're good.

Not to mention the thread entitled, "Does anyone else have a serious problem staring at women's breasts?" reached 14 pages... so far.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Not sure whether Rowling said it or not (somehow I doubt it), but that's definitely true.

Tchaikovsky was a major influence on Williams. That's common knowledge.

Lots of Stravinsky, too.

I don't really subscribe to the "Harry Potter shouldn't sound Russian" belief.  Having a variety of cultural influences makes the world feel more fleshed out and intriguing (as opposed to it just feeling like a British boarding school movie)

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Rowling should give a call to Lorne Balfe and ask him (and his ghostwriters) to re-score the first three movies. After all, he's Scottish!

English people aren't welcome in Scotland, though, according to yesterday's news.

NOTE: Not a political statement meant to be taken seriously.

I think the great question is: if she didn't like JW's scores, what did she thought about the non-JW ones? Maybe she stopped caring at that point with the music, which is why Yates could hire his collaborator Nick Hooper?

Actually, I think I read here in the forum that JK and/or Yates personally interfered so that JW couldn't score Deathly Hallows 2. Is it true?

36 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Aspect ratios are life

Are you more of a 2.35 or a 1:85 guy?

25 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I don't really subscribe to the "Harry Potter shouldn't sound Russian" belief.  Having a variety of cultural influences makes the world feel more fleshed out and intriguing (as opposed to it just feeling like a British boarding school movie)

Indeed. And the brilliant hodgepodge, off-kilter mix of cultures and heritage in Azkaban is the series at its highest point (brilliantly reflected in Williams' cosmopolitan score, which runs the full gamut of musical influences).

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Are you more of a 2.35 or a 1:85 guy?

2.35 in theaters because the 1:85 is so ugly with the black bars on the side (with few exceptions)

1:85 home with lot of exceptions

I also think some directors like Michael Bay should always filmed in 1:85, you can't see a thing with his 2:35...