Your stories of how you met John Williams

michael_grig

This is the thread for anyone who wants to tell about their encounter with John Williams!

Tell us about the circumstances of your meeting and your emotions about it! Also feel free to post your photos or souvenirs of this special moment!

28 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Well, to be honest, I thought that many in the forum have already met Williams in person. But well, then it is now just a thread of this kind.

Only those who were lucky enough to do so years ago. Williams has become very inaccessible since the early 2000s, and if you've seen the crowds who try to get close to him when he steps out of a hotel to go to the concert hall, you can understand why.

There was a guy here at the forum that claimed he had dinner with John Williams' doctor. However, things escalated and the thread quickly became an all out war with FSM. 

Sometimes I check this thread when I want to have a good laugh, it's hysterical. 

3 hours ago, Michael G. said:

wow, so even for this story being made up, it's not good

But at least you have a funny way of writing, I guess...

What kind of sweets does John Williams like to eat? Is he really the Milky Way type?

It’s a famous copypasta. People just type in random celebrities into it. 

I met him in a dream inside a dream...

7 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

I saw John Williams at a grocery store in Los Angeles last year. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I had the exact same experience!

10 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I've never met him, and do not need to.  He's got better things to do than meet people like me!  Plus, I know him via his work.  Good enough.

Agreed, and I have better people than Mr. John Williams, to meet.

Sunday 30th June 1996, The Barbican, London.

I’ve just finished watching JW conduct the LSO in an outstanding concert, including the premiere of Summon the Heroes. I’ve gone with a mate and we stay behind in the queue to meet him. He signs my copy of StH, I manage to squeeze out a strangled Thank You and shake his hand. That’s it.

I spend the next 25 years wishing I could have found something slightly more meaningful to say to him.

Mark

I never fantasized about meeting JW, but I fantasized alot about meeting some users of this forum.  That's perhaps a subject for another thread! :lol:

Wow, that's a very, very wonderful story. I'm amazed that he really sat in the audience, that's really cool. Oh man, John Williams is such a good person in all aspects

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I never fantasized about meeting JW, but I fantasized alot about meeting some users of this forum.  That's perhaps a subject for another thread! :lol:

Are you thinking of a jwfan convention:D

I never went to a JW convention, my mastering of english language would make it an obstacle. And when I'm nervous I stutter!

Writing my idiosyncratic english is the best I can offer to this community... oh, and my discography, now well updated and very well by the prodigious @Junion!

I could never thank him too much, the project at the base, to publish that comprehensive discography, was to be a collaborative project. Alone, we are nothing.

I'm not a fan boy, I never asked a personnality for a signature, except two times in my life, for the same personnality, a character from my childhood.

It took me all my little change to find the courage to ask for a signature!!!

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Sunday 30th June 1996, The Barbican, London.

I’ve just finished watching JW conduct the LSO in an outstanding concert, including the premiere of Summon the Heroes. I’ve gone with a mate and we stay behind in the queue to meet him. He signs my copy of StH, I manage to squeeze out a strangled Thank You and shake his hand. That’s it.

I spend the next 25 years wishing I could have found something slightly more meaningful to say to him.

Mark

Nice, I was there too, at the Barbican in 1996. :D

I managed to thank him for his music and inspiration,

he in turn thanked me for coming to the concert.

We shook hands and he signed the booklet

of my brand new CD w/ Summon the Heroes.

Will never forget this.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:50 AM, Edmilson said:

There was a guy here at the forum that claimed he had dinner with John Williams' doctor. However, things escalated and the thread quickly became an all out war with FSM.

Sometimes I check this thread when I want to have a good laugh, it's hysterical.

That thread was fun! Certainly transgressed a whole bunch of forum rules.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, Thor said:

Never met him, although I've seen him live twice (hopefully three times by October).

I should perhaps specify that I had the chance of meeting him briefly when he came into the Boston Pops concert hall back in 2014, but I had no intention of being part of the mob that swarmed him with autograph requests and the like (nothing against those who did, but it's not my style), so I took a selfie from a safe distance, as previously shared on these forums.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I also "sorta" met him during the concert itself, I remember now. When he received standing ovations at the end, everybody applauded, but I gave him a thumbs-up instead. Since I was sitting very near the stage, he locked eyes with me and gave me a thumbs up back. I think that's as close as I'll get. :)

But…. that sounds extremely cool..! 😀