Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer's The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Giftheck

Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer have been confirmed to be scoring The Matrix Resurrections, replacing Don Davis and Juno Reactor, who collaborated on previous installements.

Source

I must confess that I am disappointed. I was hoping to hear Davis and Juno Reactor together one last time. Let's hope the score is decent at least (I confess I have no knowledge of Klimer and Tykwer's previous works)

53 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I really don't care about the movie or its score as Davis isn't working on it. And the Wachowskis haven't produced anything really great since, what, 1999?

I've heard great things about the Netflix series Sense8, but of course they did that with J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5)... must check it out sometime (8.3 on IMDb is promising.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431438/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Yavar

Perfume, Cloud Atlas, Run, Lola, Run... these composers have more than proven themselves. We don't know how the world of the Matrix has changed and what we know about the Matrix, it's all about perspective. It will definitely be interesting to see what colors and filter they bring to this world. I'm curious how melodic it is going to be. On one hand, more difficult music would be interesting to hear from the composers of Perfume & Cloud A and then on the other hand, more melodic music would be interesting to hear within the Matrix. Either way, it is going to be an exciting release.

Davis was the voice and the soul of The Matrix. He defined the sonic world of the series, so any film of the series without him will miss something crucial, imho. Perhaps the filmmakers have gone on a completely new route, hence the composer change may make sense, who knows. It's sad that a superb talent like Don isn't getting more high profile gigs, but I guess his style and approach don't gel well with the current requirements of the blockbuster scoring. I'll be forever in awe of him for having the guts to write an unbelieveably complex piece of music for the burly brawl in the second film--too bad it was rejected in the end.

31 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I'll be forever in awe of him for having the guts to write an unbelieveably complex piece of music for the burly brawl in the second film--too bad it was rejected in the end.

Cool piece, but the Juno Reactor stuff was better, so I support the rejection in that case. That being said, I'll be missing Davis too, but then again I like a few things that Tykwer, Heil and Klimek have done in the past (mostly PERFUME -- which I saw LtP in Krakow several years ago, with the composers present), so I'll be meeting this with open expectations.

I'm fine with this choice. I liked a lot what Davis did, but I think Klimek and Tykwer could make an impressive score if has the quality of The Perfume or Cloud Atlas. In any case, I hope the use the main theme from Davis.

38 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

So… just The Matrix then?

Do you really like Speed Racer? Sense8? Jupiter Ascending?

To be honest, I don't hate the Matrix sequels and I like V for Vendetta, which they wrote the script.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Speed Racer is intensely good.  They also did that movie where Channing Tatum was a dog man on flying space rollerblades and as you can imagine from that description, that was a ton of fun!

"...I love dogs..."

I'll speak up for Jupiter Ascending... it had a lot of dumb stuff in it but also some interesting ideas, unique ideas, and felt fresh and enjoyable for my wife and I amid all of Hollywood's constant remakes, sequels, and mega-franchises.

I mean, it was no John Carter or anything, but we had fun.

Yavar

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Do you really like Speed Racer? Sense8? Jupiter Ascending?

To be honest, I don't hate the Matrix sequels and I like V for Vendetta, which they wrote the script.

Speed Racer is great, as long as you can get past the kid and the monkey.

Jupiter Ascending had some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen, but was conceptually pretty cool with a good score.

I like Cloud Atlas a lot as well.

Never seen Sense8. 

The Wachowskis are visionary filmmakers that know how to bring a world to life. Even if their films aren’t always great, they are unique and original. Hard to say that for anything else these days. 

And this is where I almost completely lost my interest in music for this movie.

It is one of the biggest disappointments in the film music history (strong words, but I don't care), same as almost complete indifference to Don Davis. And, you know, I'm tired from this "let the new composer working on a big project" thing, because it's not works for all film or franchise. Especially for so specific franchise as Matrix, which had very distinguished musical identity.

About composers. I've listened several electronic and orchestral works from Tykwer, Klimek and Heil (looks like the third composer is no longer work with them) and for now it seems they will go to completely opposite to Davis way. So I predict that the score will be way more electronic with (at best) nods to original Davis works which will not be even a half as good as the original and sounds more like attempt to mimic Davis style probably with army of orchestrators.

On a good side, Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer are long collaborators, so I hope they know what they do, and producers will not force composers to try to sound like music from the original trilogy.

Imagine if, for the Star Wars Sequels, LFL decided that, instead of John Williams' iconic music, they will use an electronic score by Junkie XL. 

It's pretty much what happened here with the Matrix.

And actually, this is pretty worse because Davis hasn't scored anything worthwile since the 2000s and this would be his chance to get back with a major motion picture. So yeah, I won't forgive Lana and I'm probably not gonna watch this.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can honestly say that in my entire life I have never once decided to not watch a movie because of who scored it.  I have of course decided to watch many, many movies because of who scored them.

I agree 1 million percent

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

The two first sequels had already disappointing and more generic-sounding scores, so I doubt we're missing much here.

Can't agree with you there. By the time we got to Revolutions it was a warmer palette to be sure but that was to reflect the transition to the "real world" rather than the world of the Matrix. I think Davis's musical language was very consistent and strong across all three scores in the trilogy, and I don't think there are many cues even in Revolutions which could be called "generic" or get mistaken for music from some other franchise.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Imagine if, for the Star Wars Sequels, LFL decided that, instead of John Williams' iconic music, they will use an electronic score by Junkie XL. 

It's pretty much what happened here with the Matrix.

And actually, this is pretty worse because Davis hasn't scored anything worthwile since the 2000s and this would be his chance to get back with a major motion picture. So yeah, I won't forgive Lana and I'm probably not gonna watch this.

This is not what happened at all. 

The Matrix trilogy is chock full of electronic music lol. And the sonic identity is hardly from Davis himself, but the classical composers that his soundscape is heavily inspired by. 

I’ll never understand why so many people completely dismiss something and even appear angry about something they haven’t seen nor heard yet. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I’ll never understand why so many people completely dismiss something and even appear angry about something they haven’t seen nor heard yet. 

First time on the internet? 

Love the trailer; think it looks very promising (spectacular, but in an organic and tasteful way as opposed to many FX-heavy blockbusters these days).

I welcome both Juno Reactor or other electronic elements back, if they so choose (they solved this wonderfully in LOLA RENNT), but we'll see what happens.

From many interviews over the years I get an impression Davis didn't think very highly of Wachowskis. Maybe it's just his dry humour, I don't know. But I remember that he mentioned in Krakow that he didn't think music was overdone in the sequels. He has said he was working more closely with the film's editor rather than the siblings. Perhaps they simply don't like each other? Could be as simple as that. 

Karol

8 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It’s true that electronic music has been always part of the series, but it was always organically integrated with Don Davis’ post-modern orchestral score (save maybe for the more brazen needle-drops in the first movie). Saying that Davis didn’t provide the sonic identity of The Matrix and suggesting he just stole from other composers is unfair. It’s like saying that Williams didn’t provide any identity to Star Wars because the music sounds like Korngold, Holst, etc. Also, Davis built a real musical progression from film 1 to film 3, and that’s a rare privilege composers are given in such context. Given how much crucial Davis’ score has always been in defining the series, it’s a lost opportunity not to have him back, especially since this new movie looks like an actual sequel directly linked to the previous films, not a soft reboot, or a completely new thing. Of course nobody knows what happened behind the scenes, perhaps WB and Wachowski asked Davis and he declined, who knows. And it’s still totally their right to assign the score to whoever they like the most. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t even bother asking Davis and just went to their actual preferred collaborators. It’s still Hollywood—loyalty and integrity are the exception, not the rule.

I don’t disagree with any of this; and I said he was inspired, not a thief. 

I've looked up some of the music from Cloud Atlas, and it's actually not bad. Certainly better than any of the Zimmersynth crap I was fearing. So maybe they can pull this off.

In all honesty, there is really only one sound I think they have to have: the pile driver. Even if they don't use Davis' themes (and I suspect they will - at the very least, I expect they'll keep the opening theme the same), that's the one sound that I would consider synonymous with the soundscape of The Matrix.

• 2 months later...

FYC album is up

https://www.wbawards.com/film/?film=thematrixresurrections

01 Opening (5:08)
02 Two and the Same (5:33)
03 Meeting Trinity (2:05)
04 It's in my Mind (4:19)
05 I Fly or I Fall (3:08)
06 Set and Setting (5:02)
07 Exit the Pod (2:46)
08 The Dojo (3:40)
09 Enter IO (4:02)
10 Inside IO (3:32)
11 Escape (2:12)
12 Broadcast Depth (2:50)
13 Exiles (2:11)
14 Factory Fight (3:33)
15 Bullet Time (4:49)
16 Recruiting (2:39)
17 Infiltration (2:39)
18 I Like Tests (3:16)
19 I cant be Her (2:39)
20 Simulatte brawl (2:40)
21 Swarm (3:32)
22 Sky Scrape (1:40)
23 My Dream Ended Here (3:11)

TOTAL TIME - 1:17:06

I liked the first track!  Of course it was all Davis lol.  Will check out the rest later, it's podcast time

Honestly there's very little Davis in it except for a few seconds (that pops up out of nowhere and creates dissonance between the two styles), and action score is pretty unmemorable. The whole soundtrack is mostly contained of some RCP-like cheap "intense" soundscape music or underscore that resembles Sense8 and does nothing besides, also light on leitmotifs. Not that I'm disappointed, the matrix wasn't their vibe from the start. Nevertheless wow, this is really one emotionless soundtrack.