Are 99% of Mainstream Movies Today Garbage?

Jurassic Shark

Are 99% of Mainstream Movies Today Garbage?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are 99% of Mainstream Movies Today Garbage?

Are 99% of mainstream movies today, garbage?

As I've not seen 99% of today's mainstream movies, I wouldn't know.

All I can say is that I enjoyed the last movie that I saw, and I look forward to seeing the next one, whatever it may be.

23 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Gravity (2013) - IMDb

Proof they're not

So that might be among the 1% that's good then. Doesn't mean that 99% isn't garbage.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

All I can say is that I enjoyed the last movie that I saw

2001 A Space Odyssey is not a new film.

Just a quick list of the 2019 films then:

• Ford v Ferrari
  • Knives Out
  • Parasite
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Toy Story 4
  • HTTYD 3
  • Joker
  • The Gentleman

not mentionning MCU or DCEU because there's too much resentment between fans of the two.

I think mainstream here refers exclusively to current big Hollywood studio films that are mostly IP-driven (i.e., based on properties that can be easily used as platforms to produce sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots and sell more licenses for marketing revenues, etc.). This is the template of all big Hollywood studios (Disney, WB, NBC Universal, Viacom, Sony) because it's the most profitable, end of story, just look at the worldwide box office charts of the last 10 years.

In my opinion, it is a big issue in terms of creativity and it's something that is creating a lot of constraints for the many talents working in the industry. However, one of the peculiar things of this epoch is that film entertainment (which nowadays include also films and shows produced by streaming companies) is getting more and more tailored to consumers, so it's more likely you can find plenty of stuff more suited to tastes and preferences aimed at very specific demographics.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Are 99% of Jurassic Shark's posts today garbage?

I haven't even made close to a hundred posts today, and at least one wasn't garbage, so I'll vote no.

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I think mainstream here refers exclusively to current big Hollywood studio films that are mostly IP-driven

I think so too.

You can argue if it is 99%, 90% or just 70%.

But I think, the more interesting question is, if the garbage ratio of mainstream movies has increased over the years, at least during the period where something like mainstream movies exists.

Since the 50s and 60s probably.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Didn't you stop watching movies during the '90s, Richard?

No. I stopped watching movies when I moved to a group of islands that has one cinema, which is 75 miles, two car rides, one ferry ride and three hours from where I fucking live!

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I liked it a lot but the mainstream crowd at JWFan was bored to death with this movie.

I also like it, so much so that I bought it, on (gasp!) DVD.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I like it, when he said, the last Star Wars movie by JJ Abrams is unwatchable, because I agree. At least I can't watch it a second time through. And I really tried a few times. It's impossible for me.

Probably the best proof there is! I tried to watch it several times too but it's simply impossible. Heck, it even makes the Prequels look like masterpieces.

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I liked it a lot but the mainstream crowd at JWFan was bored to death with this movie.

Didn't know that many here didn't like it. Really sad because it was really well made

Now I've notice you picked up one out of the nine quote so that make at least for you 11% of good... :lol:

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I stopped watching movies when I moved to a group of islands that has one cinema, which is 75 miles, two car rides, one ferry ride and three hours from where I fucking live!

Oh, why did you stop?

13 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Now I've notice you picked up one out of the nine quote so that make at least for you 11% of good... :lol:

Sure, but it's not really a typical example of a modern mainstream movie. I see it more as someone who dislikes modern mainstream and wants to back to the moviemaking of the '70s. It's probably the reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Of course not all mainstream is bad. There's A24, right? 

RIGHT?!

Answering yes is the cowards answer.  Movies are an ever evolving craft. They don't necessarily speak to all of us but they speak to those its meant too.  The overtly cynical JWFans here will say yes but they are incorrect. None of us here see 99% of all films, hell none of us see more than probably 10 % of the films released each year.  

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Answering yes is the cowards answer.  Movies are an ever evolving craft. They don't necessarily speak to all of us but they speak to those its meant too.  The overtly cynical JWFans here will say yes but they are incorrect. None of us here see 99% of all films, hell none of us see more than probably 10 % of the films released each year.  

You could also say saying no is the coward's answer because you could just make the exact cop-out argument you made here. "Movies are subjective!" "Different movies appeal to different kinds of people!" Really? Wow! I never looked at it like that before, you've really opened my eyes. You could almost say that this poll is asking a bunch of people's opinion of modern mainstream movies.

This is our mistake though. We weren't thorough enough with our hypothesis. I expect a 100 page essay explaining the objective merits of every movie released in the last 20 years, that had a budget of at least 50 million dollars on my desk, by next Friday. If you do not objectively prove the value of movies like Black Widow, Batman V Superman, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I'm giving you an F! 

30 minutes ago, superultramegaa said:

You could also say saying no is the coward's answer because you could just make the exact cop-out argument you made here. "Movies are subjective!" "Different movies appeal to different kinds of people!" Really? Wow! I never looked at it like that before, you've really opened my eyes. You could almost say that this poll is asking a bunch of people's opinion of modern mainstream movies.

This is our mistake though. We weren't thorough enough with our hypothesis. I expect a 100 page essay explaining the objective merits of every movie released in the last 20 years, that had a budget of at least 50 million dollars on my desk, by next Friday. If you do not objectively prove the value of movies like Black Widow, Batman V Superman, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I'm giving you an F! 

I seriously doubt few here could write 10 pages let alone and 100. But your thought while interesting are incorrect.  Jurrasic Shark did you see the films released last year?  You questioning anyones tastes is simply the act of a fool. 😜

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Oh, why did you stop?

I stopped because I cannot, physically, get to the cinema. For filmic entertainment, I rely on borrowing DVDs, and buying DVDs at my local thrift shop.

Thankfully, a friend has Netflix, so I've been watching a few things at his house. We're going to be savouring DEADWOOD THE MOVIE, over the weekend.

Actually, in some ways I do think movies were better on the last century compared to today. But those "hot takes" stating that "movies were better in my youth, today's kids only like crap, when I was younger I just watched Antonioni, Kurosawa and Herzog" are utterly pathetic. It's the personification of the Abe Simpson character. Just pitiful.

When I was young we only watched Bresson, Dreyer and Ozu.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I stopped because...

Ah yeah, I was only jesting.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

We're going to be savouring DEADWOOD THE MOVIE, over the weekend.

Who needs the cinema when you can spend the night in the Gem Saloon?

Then you have those Rotten Tomatoes 100% movies about a mom who knits skirts and lost her kid to the neighbor boy and they end up BBQing together on the weekend and that's it. Whenever I see a trailer promoting its Fresh score I turn it off. The site is ultra rigged, if we can't contribute to the tomato meter then no point looking at it.