Benoit Blanc film series - Knives Out, Glass Onion

Jay

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Kate Hudson, I remember her from like, 20 years ago. I think she was good in that one movie (Almost Famous)... 

Yeah it’s the one standout in her entire career. The rest is just romcoms with Matthew McConaughey.

I do like Wish I Was Here, but not for Hudson. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Kate Hudson, I remember her from like, 20 years ago. I think she was good in that one movie (Almost Famous)... 

And that was mostly due to her befitting charisma.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking forward to this movie but would have preferred to be released in cinemas instead of Netflix. For some reason I often miss movies that go directly to streaming which I would otherwise probably have seen in the cinema.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?  Netflix releases all their big movies in cinemas as well as streaming, have done so for years now

Sadly, where I live it's not the case as the big cinema chain doesn't show Netflix movies.

Weird, I had completely forgotten about this movie. I gave it 3 stars on MUBI, so I've clearly seen it and found it decent (although not great), but I only have vague memories of some Agatha Christie-like plot about a murder on a manor. I have, however, noticed that it's received somewhat of a cult status already, so I'm not surprised it gets a sequel.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Not sure how you can forget Craig's bizarre southern accent, and Ana De Armas' big breakout role

Yeah, bizarre to me that someone could see Knives Out and not find it memorable, even if they disliked it. And it's not like Agatha Christie-style things are that commonplace at the movies these days...

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Drive to a cinema that isn't a big chain one?

Will be checking if smaller cinemas do indeed show Netflix movies.

Movies that were released on HBO Max and Disney+ are shown without any issue so it seems to be Netflix specific.

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, bizarre to me that someone could see Knives Out and not find it memorable, even if they disliked it. And it's not like Agatha Christie-style things are that commonplace at the movies these days...

Yavar

Well, I watch 300-400 movies each year on average (old and new), so a film will need to stand out in order to stick. I guess there wasn't enough in this one to stick out according to my preferences, oddball characters or not. But since I gave it a solid 3-star rating, I'm prone to give it another go.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Drive to a cinema that isn't a big chain one?

I don't know if @Mr. Who lives in France but I can tell you that here (because of an awfully ridiculous law) we can't have in theater movies that are released on streaming

Basically movies released in theater can appear on streaming services only after 3 years for instance we still can't watch Endgame on Disney+ before may 2022 or Shang-Chi before september 2024!!!!

Who came up with an archaic rule like that?

In the USA you could see The Irishman or Marriage Story or whatever exclusively at theaters for like 2-4 weeks before it was available to stream on Netflix

It's because of the french TVs. Here most of our movies are produced by the TV channels (mostly Canal+), basically the life of a movie is like this:

1. Theatrical release (TR)
  2. TR + 4 months: Home release (this is to let time to the cinema to win enough money)
  3. TR + 4 months: Canal+ gets the exclusive television rights for 1 year
  4. TR + 1 years and four months: other channels can broadcast it for another year (still no streaming)
  5. TR + 3 years: streaming plateform are allowed to give it to the audience

Anyway that's a dumb system which I hope will change soon...

13 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's because of the french TVs. Here most of our movies are produced by the TV channels (mostly Canal+), basically the life of a movie is like this:

1. Theatrical release (TR)
  2. TR + 4 months: Home release (this is to let time to the cinema to win enough money)
  3. TR + 4 months: Canal+ gets the exclusive television rights for 1 year
  4. TR + 1 years and four months: other channels can broadcast it for another year (still no streaming)
  5. TR + 3 years: streaming plateform are allowed to give it to the audience

Anyway that's a dumb system which I hope will change soon...

It's the French way of protecting 'cinema'.

French (and Italian) films used to be very well represented in Belgian theatres ... before the dark times ... before the concrete multiplexes.

• 4 months later...

KO was a refreshing reprieve from the gloomy, poorly plotted, ' burnt out detective, mysteries that dominate streaming.

Shows like MARE OF EASTOWN, TRUE DETECTIVE,THE FALL  or the endless Steven King adaptations.

Well, you know Sturgeon's Law, Bruce, 90% of everything is crap. You just have to look at the filmography of Ridey Scott to know that it's true. ;)

I think every artist judging his own work will agree with me (or Sturgeon).

I have affection for Murder by Death (great Grusin score!), but it's a pretty bad movie really.   The amazing cast does its best, and it's fun to watch all the legends on screen, but Simon's script frankly sucks and the direction is amateurish.  Clue is better than Murder By Death in literally every possible way.

Well!

MBD is not perfect for sure.

The deaf, dumb and blind jokes are leaden.

But, Falk as Sam Diamond is so hilarious!

I never saw THE CHEAP DETECTIVE where he plays the same character but I suspect an entire movie might be a bit much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Did it really need the "...a Knives Out mystery" for all the dum dumbs.

heck it's probably meant to work without seeing the other one at all

i guess that's uncommon nowadays

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...