Benoit Blanc film series - Knives Out, Glass Onion

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks really good! I'm intrigued. 

And as a note, interesting to see them advertising him as the director of The Last Jedi. I'm glad they did, because with the way a lot of people unfortunately feel about him now, hesitating to acknowledge The Last Jedi would kind of feel weak and overly cautious. I smiled when I saw that come up, and I thought something like, "You go get 'em, Rian!". Of course, I loved it and I can't wait to see Knives Out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

'Knives Out' Sequel in the Works, Story Centered on Daniel Craig's Detective Character

The $40 million original film with an ensemble cast has grossed nearly $250 million worldwide.

As Knives Out concludes yet another strong weekend at the box office, writer-director Rian Johnson is already working on a follow-up to his hit original whodunit, lining up a potential franchise for Lionsgate.

Johnson told The Hollywood Reporter at Lionsgate's pre-Golden Globes party on Saturday night that he was already developing a sequel centered on Craig's Southern detective Benoit Blanc investigating a new case. He added that he was eager to make the film quickly, ideally in the next year. 

Johnson's producing partner Ram Bergman added that Craig was eager to reprise the role. "Daniel had so much fun doing it, and he wants to do more," he said. 

Lionsgate and MRC's Knives Out, made for a reported $40 million and boasting a star-studded cast including Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer and Toni Collette, became a shining beacon for original films in a 2019 box office dominated by sequels and franchises. It is up for three Golden Globe awards on Sunday - best comedy/musical picture and best comedy/musical actor and actress for Craig and co-star Ana de Armas. (MRC shares a parent company, Valence Media, with The Hollywood Reporter.) 

Lionsgate has not officially greenlit a Knives Out sequel, but given the film's $247 million haul worldwide, the film could be the beginning of a lucrative franchise for the studio and for Craig as he wraps up his stint as James Bond in the upcoming No Time to Die. Lionsgate film president Joe Drake told THR at Saturday's party that he's eager to read a script.

Johnson, who directed 2017's Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is also developing a new Star Wars trilogy, but the plans have slowed down as Disney and Lucasfilm figure out the next steps in the franchise following December's The Rise of Skywalker concluding the saga that began with 1977's A New Hope.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/knives-sequel-works-centered-daniel-craigs-detective-character-1266533

TLJ haters can celebrate: with Johnson busy with Knives Out sequels, he won't have any time to work on his SW trilogy.

And tbh, after all the vitriol and harassment he received for TLJ, and the critical and commercial success he enjoyed with KO, I don't think he is particularly eager to return to Star Wars, at least not for now.

Also, Craig will need a new franchise after No Time to Die, one that demands less physicality than Bond.

• 1 month later...

Lionsgate Officially Orders Up More Murder-Mystery With a Sequel to ‘Knives Out’!

Ahead of Rian Johnson‘s Knives Out hitting 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on February 25th, Lionsgate has now made it official this week that a sequel is soon on the way!

Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer made the announcement last night, Deadline reports, with the site adding that Feltheimer hinted that “a production start is imminent.”

Rian Johnson had noted earlier this year that he was developing a sequel that would center on Daniel Craig‘s detective character Benoit Blanc investigating a new case.

At the time, Lionsgate hadn’t yet given the sequel a green light.

Knives Out was a massive hit for Lionsgate, pulling in nearly $300 million worldwide at the box office. The production budget for Johnson’s film was a mere $40 million.

Potentially, Lionsgate could have a new hit franchise on their hands with this one.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3603856/lionsgate-officially-orders-murder-mystery-sequel-knives/

I guess TLJ haters can celebrate, Johnson will be busy with his new franchise from now on and won't do his trilogy. Maybe it's the best solution for both parties, Johnson will do his own franchise with less pressure than a huge blockbusters, and TLJ haters will never see him touch their beloved franchise once again.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Edmilson said:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3603856/lionsgate-officially-orders-murder-mystery-sequel-knives/

I guess TLJ haters can celebrate, Johnson will be busy with his new franchise from now on and won't do his trilogy. Maybe it's the best solution for both parties, Johnson will do his own franchise with less pressure than a huge blockbusters, and TLJ haters will never see him touch their beloved franchise once again.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said that SW movies are on hiatus for the next few years because they're going to concentrate on SW TV shows (due to the far more positive reception that The Mandalorian has received compared to Solo and Rise Of Skywalker? Quite possibly), so who knows if Johnson's trilogy will ever see the light of day anyway.        

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Disney CEO Bob Iger said that SW movies are on hiatus for the next few years because they're going to concentrate on SW TV shows (due to the far more positive reception that The Mandalorian has received compared to Solo and Rise Of Skywalker? Quite possibly), so who knows if Johnson's trilogy will ever see the light of day anyway.        

At this point, I don't think Johnson's trilogy will ever happen. He seems to be happier working on the medium budget cinema, without having to please insane, rabid fanboys on social media, and he also gets nominated for awards for these movies. And Disney, on the other hand, is trying to figure it out what to do with Star Wars.

But I guess you're right, unless Feige has something on his sleeve, there's no way we'll see another SW in three years.

• 1 year later...

Such a great news. Knives Out was one of my favourite 2019 movie, so true that I went three times in theater to watch.

I do hope that the sequels will be as good as the original or even better. Fingers crossed...

• 1 month later...

I mean....

On 3/31/2021 at 6:01 PM, Jay said:

How easy would it be for you to turn down that kind of money?

Indeed. It'll basically allow him to pursue whatever film he wants in the future. That's liberating as a filmmaker, especially one as immensely talented as Johnson. 

I just wish he would go back to ABQ for one more episode in the Breaking Bad universe and direct an episode of Better Call Saul. 

Aye, he's only 47 years old.  By the time he gets both KO films out the door he'll only be in his early 50s.  And it's not like he can't begin developing other projects as these go through production

Damn I can't wait for anymore for that movie. Each time there's a new cast member announced it's just getting better. I think it might be as great as the first one (which is in my top 3 2019 movies)

Kate Hudson, I remember her from like, 20 years ago. I think she was good in that one movie (Almost Famous)...