Benoit Blanc film series - Knives Out, Glass Onion

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

1st film named after a Radiohead song, 2nd film named after a Beatles song, any bets on what British band might be the inspiration for the 3rd title?

The Stones

• 3 weeks later...

If that's Nathan Johnson's music, I'm very hyped. This sounds wonderful.

And in the Empire article on the film Rian said that the score is grander and more melodramatic than the first, which makes me excited

That clip is fun, this movie looks like a hoot.  I definitely don't want to see any more clips or trailers now!

I do think it is silly to title the film "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery".

They should have called it "Glass Onion: A Benoit Blanc Mystery", and retroactively put "A Benoit Blanc Mystery" on the Knives Out blu ray covers or whatever

I would put money on the title card just saying “Glass Onion” in the movie proper.  I think the goal of the title on the poster/trailers is to make sure people know it is a sequel to Knives Out - which “Benoit Blanc” might not trigger for them.

No, I wasn't proposing a bet size, I was joking that that was all that's in your bank account

I think you're right that the actual title card near the start of the film might indeed only say Glass Onion and not have the "A Knives Out Mystery" part.... but I truly wouldn't be surprised if it does.

And the full title could be in the end credits even if the opening card doesn't have it...

We'll see!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

$20?

Leaves me with seventy-five cents to pay for a lawyer when my gambling addiction causes my spouse to leave me.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, I wasn't proposing a bet size, I was joking that that was all that's in your bank account

Realized this and tried to correct it before you saw it - unsuccessfully!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get you. But I actually feel nothing really was revealed in the trailer. It might be me, but from this trailer I can't even figure out who dies.

And I don't want to know actually, so that's pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

They made a fake Zillow listing for the Glass Onion, some fun easter eggs in the listing

https://www.zillow.com/house/glassonion/

On 27/09/2022 at 2:46 PM, mstrox said:

I would put money on the title card just saying “Glass Onion” in the movie proper. 

Nailed it

I haven’t watch this one yet, but I loved the first one, so I am sure I’ll like this one too.

But Rian Johnson isn’t pleased with the title since the studio apparently tacked on “A Knives Out Mystery” to the title.

SCREENCRUSH: Rian Johnson Is ‘Pissed Off’ He Had to Put ‘Knives Out’ in ‘Glass Onion’ Title

I can’t help but agree. It has a very “A Star Wars Story”- ring to it, which just doesn’t feel natural. Put some faith in your product, the franchise and the audience and you don’t need these crappy, over-explanatory titles.

I wasn't really on board with the opening, the character introductions and politics, the whole covid lockdown thing that very explicitly dates it (in fact, it already feels dated by now), but once they get to the island it really drew me in. It was interesting to me that for a good while even the mystery was a mystery, I was guessing what'd happen and to who.

I saw the two movies yesterday and I can confirm you that Rian Johnson's humor don't work on me. There was plenty of inside jokes that weren't addressed to me. 

That's two Agatha Christie, but with cell phones... Summer theatre with budget.

Musically, if I understand this thread well, both movies seemed to use "pastiches" of well-known classical music (like Beethoven's Moonlight sonata in the 2nd movie).

That's perfect for this kind of disposable movies I think.

Ah, I liked Yo-Yo Ma's cameo...

8 hours ago, Holko said:

I wasn't really on board with the opening, the character introductions and politics, the whole covid lockdown thing that very explicitly dates it (in fact, it already feels dated by now)

Dates it? It's explicitly set in May 2020. It's a period piece. 

I think it's the explicit "addressing real world events" aspect of it, given KO was able to get away with having a more general time frame despite also referencing very specific things to the time it was made in. I suppose the argument could be made that it ultimately has little to do with the story past the opening, but then it's too much of a motivator for Blanc's involvement in the plot for it to be something you can just get rid of. I personally thought it was an interesting choice, as it’s not something you see a lot of films even now try to address.

The movie was ok. Its true that the beggining seems a little off or uninteresting but once the plot starts spinning it is very engaging.

its true the knives out subtitle is weird and forced. Couldnt have they thought to give the craig character some weigth or importance as hercule poirot for example? 

glass onion: a benoit blanc mistery

or something

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

its true the knives out subtitle is weird and forced. Couldnt have they thought to give the craig character some weigth or importance as hercule poirot for example? 

glass onion: a benoit blanc mistery

or something

On 27/09/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jay said:

I do think it is silly to title the film "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery".

They should have called it "Glass Onion: A Benoit Blanc Mystery", and retroactively put "A Benoit Blanc Mystery" on the Knives Out blu ray covers or whatever

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

It's no different to "...A Star Wars Story" to clearly address marketing concerns.

It is different, though, as "Star Wars" refers to the entire saga.

This isn't the "Knives Out Saga" / "Knives Out Universe"

It's the Benoit Blanc series

It'd be like if people referred to the Poirot series as the "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" series

Saw it tonight. Still not my cuppa tea, these things. Never liked Agatha Christie-type whodunnit crime, and apparently don't get much enjoyment when they play around with the tropes either. Had the same issues with BODIES BODIES BODIES last year.

Just watched it. It was a fun movie. Silly and entertaining, I had a good time.

Felt like a riff on Death Under the Sun. In terms of certain plot points, setting etc. But there was enough new stuff to make it stand out.

Karol

Watched Glass Onion and it’s good, not great. A little bit too whimsical for my taste, but it’s charming.

I might be misremembering, but is Daniel Craig’s character drastically different than in the first movie? More quirky? And also, not really consistently quirky throughout the movie?

Furthermore, I didn’t really buy his performance as an eccentric, cooky but brilliant detective which kind of undermined the whole thing. And his accent changes a lot, doesn’t it?

No, he's not drastically different in this film compared to the first. 

Yes, the accent changes; the character does it on purpose based on who he is talking to (and how he wants to be perceived by them). There's even a line in this film that directly explains it, when he's talking to the sister in his normal voice and tells her he'll amp up the southern charm when he gets to the island. 

I must not have been paying attention.

Edit: A thought. Was the whole “disruptor” plot element a meta-commentary on the LTJ-business where Rian said that his intentions were to “subvert” expectations?

No, it's poking fun at actual people like those in the movie who call themselves disruptors. 

I just mean that if we agree that the movie is a comment on disrupters, I think it’s funny since I see a parallel with how RJ wanted to “recontextualize” (i.e. disrupt) Star Wars with TLJ (in light of his latest interview on the subject as referenced here).

In that light, maybe the “point” of Glass Onion comes of as a tad hypocritical?

I’m just curious about the conversations during the script writing sessions, which discussions were held and how the creators let their own experiences shape the characters in the movie.