How many streaming services are you subscribed to?

Edmilson

The irritating thing about Netflix is not the "automatically play next episode" feature, which -- as Jay points -- you can turn off, but their "continue where you left off" feature. Sometimes, I start watching something, but turn it off because it's crap. Then it's very annoying to get a reminder to continue watching. I can remove the title from my stream history, but occasionally a title suddenly pops up that I had left off ages ago, and I have to scroll back many months in the stream history to find it and remove it.

I also find the general interface irritating, which is why I use https://no.flixable.com/ for scrolling, searching and making my own personal watch lists.

....and another irritating Netflix feature: The sudden pausing when you're watching multiple episodes and you get the options of 'continue watching', 'play from beginning' and 'return to the catalogue'. I can do that manually on my own whenever I feel like it, thank you very much. Anyone know how to disable this?

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't have Disney+? 

I did until last month. I wasn't watching anything, then they did their price hike - I haven't missed it. I had a challenge to myself to watch all the old Disney animated movies, but I just wasn't interested enough to follow through.

I watched Toy Story 4 and WandaVision, and after that didn't find much else so I let it go.

Just added Showtime because it's $0.99 a month for the next two months.

Netflix has the best interface. It's not perfect. But all the other services are trying to differentiate from Netflix which means they usually pick the second best (hopefully!) option for a lot of things. I don't know how much of that is driven by legal and how much creative.

• 1 month later...

My parents and I have a scheme where we annually switch off whose piggybacking off of whose Netflix account.  This year they're paying and I'm using their account, next year they'll cancel and I'll restart my account, and so on and so forth.

Why not just keep it under one account forever, and the other family gives them a $84 check once a year.  Wouldn't that be incredibly easier?

Since creating this thread I also subscribed to AppleTV+ because of a local promo here, but haven't watched anything in there for now. I guess my brother's been using it for Ted Lasso though.

• 3 weeks later...

I cancelled Tidal and got myself 3 months Amazon Music for free.

Quality wise there shouldn't be any difference, Tidal has 'Master', Amazon has Ultra HD. 

Amazon has less titles though ...

We ended our subscription to Apple TV+ after watching both seasons of Ted Lasso and Schmigadoon.  You get to keep using it until the next billing day after canceling, so tonight I might watch Finch, CODA, Cherry, Palmer, or Wolfwalkers, we'll see.

With that service off the bills we did Paramount+ next.  Watching season 2 of Why Women Kill and its as fun as season 1 was.  Not sure if I'll check out any other shows on there (like any of the Star Trek ones), but we watched Queenpins and it was pretty funny.  Checked out Ghosts too and it's pretty dumb but at least a fun premise.  Gonna watch A Quiet Place 2 on there before we cancel it for sure

Wolfwalkers is v good!

We got a year free trial of Apple TV, and we don’t plan on renewing when it’s over.  Next time they air a season of Ted Lasso, we’ll wait til it’s over and subscribe for one month to binge and cancel.

We share our streaming service with my mother-in-law, just give her the passwords.  She’s retired and living on peanuts, so there’s no reason not to just let her have em.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We tried Paramount Plus with Ads at the cheaper price point and my spouse said it was dreadful - felt like more ads than a traditional broadcast.  I never watched any shows, but it wasn’t so bad for whatever movie(s) we watched because the commercials all fell at the beginning and there were no interruptions at midline.

We were subscribers of Paramount+ for about 3 months or so, during we watched a few shows

South Park: Post Covid & Return of Covid (I watched solo)

1883 Season 1 (wife watched solo and absolutely loved it)

Why Women Kill Season 2 (goofy fun, great end title score cue)

Ghosts (cute and fun easy-breasy CBS show)

and a few movies

Queenpins (good premise and great cast, ok execution)

A Quiet Place: Part 2 (pretty good)

Ass Backwards (funny)

Paycheck (unintentionally funny)

I think that's it.  Wanted to watch Another 48 Hrs while we had it but never got around to it

Never saw a single ad the whole time we had it.  Didn't even know there was an ad-supported version.

Overall it was worth it for those 3 months.  Now we're trying AMC+ for Killing Eve and Better Call Saul, after that it'll probably be back to Apple TV+ for Ted Lasso 3, Severance, and The Afterparty.  After that we'll probably do Peacock for Yellowstone, Rutherford Falls, Resident Alien, Joe Vs Carol, Girls5Eva, Mr Mayor, AP Bio...

For Amazon shows that come with adds (like Babylon 5 which I recently started watching), we only get the very occasional Alexa/Amazon ad, but nothing else. The same for Channel 4's 4OD service - we get the sponsorship idents and trails for other shows, but no other adverts. I think this is because Guernsey doesn't register for the algorithm which works out what ads to play so it doesn't play any. It's a loophole I'm sure they will fix sometime, although for 65k people (Guernsey is a small island) it may not be worth their while. Then again, our crappy, tiny local cinema plays the standard Pearl & Dean package which is almost entirely for supermarkets we don't have here or financial products that specifically exclude the Channel Islands/Isle of Man. So not only do we have to sit through the tedious adverts in the world's shittiest cinema, we can't even buy the products. Winning.

• 3 weeks later...

Following Netflix's latest price increase it prompted me to realise all I really watch on there is Always Sunny and the odd other thing, so I've dropped that for now.

I re-signed up for Disney+ for a month (already hit the cancel button) and that's been fruitful - watched Jungle Cruise, Orient Express, Death on the Nile ad a couple of other things.

So later this month I'll be left with Prime, Spotify and YouTube Premium, and I use the latter especially a lot.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Following Netflix's latest price increase it prompted me to realise all I really watch on there is Always Sunny and the odd other thing, so I've dropped that for now.

I re-signed up for Disney+ for a month (already hit the cancel button) and that's been fruitful - watched Jungle Cruise, Orient Express, Death on the Nile ad a couple of other things.

So later this month I'll be left with Prime, Spotify and YouTube Premium, and I use the latter especially a lot.

I do wonder if subscribing to streaming services in rotation is the better option - guess partly it depends how easy it is to active and reactivate and how much you can be bothered!

There's quite a lot on Netflix and Disney+ we are watching and want to watch, less on Amazon (I've just started watching Babylon 5 "with adverts" which I assume would be the same deal if we did unsubscribe) and only a couple of things on Apple TV. The latter we got when my partner got a new iPhone and it came with a year, he was keen on The Morning Show and Central Park, but we've watched those and have just finished all of Ted Lasso which was probably the best of the tree (I realised that I couldn't care less about the characters in The Morning Show partway through season 2).

I can see us keeping Netflix and Disney+ permanently in any event. The latter, in particular, has already expanded greatly since launch and this is likely to continue. Plus, I assume it won't suffer from the annoyance of shows suddenly disappearing that can make Netflix etc. so frustrating. This strikes me as a distinct advantage for specific studio based services over those who rely more heavily on content from others (Netflix, Amazon, Apple).

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not going to give one more penny to that avaricious, evil organisation.

Aren't they all to some extent?! I have similarly strong feelings about Amazon and have largely stopped using them for shopping but haven't yet cut them out as a streaming provider for TV/movies. However, I cancelled my Amazon Music subscription when they sent me a notification of the price increase as I realised that I hardly ever use it and my iTunes library is ludicrously large anyway.

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Aren't they all to some extent?! I have similarly strong feelings about Amazon and have largely stopped using them for shopping

Yeah, they're more and more becoming the last resort for me.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, they're more and more becoming the last resort for me.

Same... living on Guernsey, we often run into problems with suppliers not wanting to send to us, even from the UK which is frustrating as all they need to do is complete a customs form (and it's not complicated like sending to Europe from the UK is now... thanks Brexit) and the postage is about the same, yet I've had lots of orders cancelled. Sometimes you can trick them by putting the country as UK and they'll send anyway... but often not. Then it's back to Amazon who will pretty much send anything (with a few exceptions like batteries and other stuff you can't send by plane) and remove the VAT (since it's not payable in Guernsey). I'm in the fortunate position that I can pay a little more to use someone independent but if they can't or won't ship to me, Amazon is the easy option. Fortunately for music I buy almost everything digitally from 7Digital or Presto, plus occasional orders from LLL and Intrada. Oops, bit off topic...

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How is it to live there? And why do you not pay VAT?

It's a nice island, but we don't have any kind of goods and sales tax so when vendors sell stuff to us, they should take off the VAT. In reality, many don't, but Amazon take it off automatically. We're lucky that we don't get charged import duties either so I don't have to pay when I receive a parcel from LLL etc. like most people do. Otherwise it's a pretty expensive place to live, but hey, small wins!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To some extent, yes, but I see The Mouse as the most vile offender of them all.

Be careful, Richard, it's quite popular here because of Marvel and Star Wars. That's why some will subtly defend Disney by saying it's not more evil than the others. ;)

Our household has a laundry list of streaming services.  Some are used way more than others but there are just enough shows on each to justify having them for our family.  We cut the cord 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back!  I did the math and even with all the services below we're still spending less per month than we were on just AT&T U-Verse back in the day.

• DirecTV Stream (main cable provider)
  • Netflix
  • Disney+ / ESPN+ / Hulu bundle (basically getting ESPN+ for free vs individual pricing)
  • HBO Max (included at no additional charge with our AT&T cell/data/internet plan)
  • Apple TV+
  • Paramount+
  • AMC+ (they had a promo running last November for $20 for 12 months)
  • Amazon Prime

On 7/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, Dr. Rick said:

Our household has a laundry list of streaming services.  Some are used way more than others but there are just enough shows on each to justify having them for our family.  We cut the cord 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back!  I did the math and even with all the services below we're still spending less per month than we were on just AT&T U-Verse back in the day.

• DirecTV Stream (main cable provider)
  • Netflix
  • Disney+ / ESPN+ / Hulu bundle (basically getting ESPN+ for free vs individual pricing)
  • HBO Max (included at no additional charge with our AT&T cell/data/internet plan)
  • Apple TV+
  • Paramount+
  • AMC+ (they had a promo running last November for $20 for 12 months)
  • Amazon Prime

This is pretty much my lineup too, minus AMC (and substituting Xfinity for DTV). It’s all getting to be too much, especially with the price increases. $15.49 for Netflix, $14 for Disney+, $5 promo rate for Apple TV+ (eventually going up to who know what, or when), and $10-15 for Paramount+ after our three-month $3 trial. And my wife wants to add Starz for $10 so she can watch outlander.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, we just cancelled our long-standing sub this morning. Using one of those dodgy Android apps on the firestick instead with a vpn, plays the absolute lot in 1080p minimum. Netflix isn't the same value for money as it was, especially after the price hike. When you think that Amazon Prime provide delivery and streaming in one package for almost half the cost, well I think that highlights just how far out whack Netflix have gone. 

Thing is there are so few titles on there that interest me that I can pay for one month subscription every now and then to watch all the stuff I want in less than 30 days and be done with it quickly.

And yes, Anazon offers the best value out of all of them. They seem to have more diverse selection of movies too. Everything from your pretentious arthouse to popcorn pulp.

Karol

We're gonna drop Netflix after Stranger Things 4 and add it to the rotation of the ones we cycle through as content we want to see comes out, so stuff like Paramount+, Apple TV+, etc

I was a bit bummed that BCS came back just after my Netflix sub ran out but I'm not that desperate to see it. Maybe at some point this year when they've got some other good recent movies I'll give it another month.

I listen to music far more than watching movies or TV, so having Netflix and Disney+ didn't really make sense for me. I have Prime mainly for delivery.

By the way, I just recently subscribed to Netflix and have been very satisfied! I can tell you it's worth the money! I've been looking for a long time where I could watch "Snowfall" in good quality, and my brother advised me to buy a Netflix subscription. I decided to give it a try and I loved it! The video quality is unreal, everything is very convenient, and most importantly, it's very convenient to watch all the movies at once on one platform. By the way, I recently came across one website Snowfall Season 6 and read that Snowfall will not be renewed for season 6 due to not very high ratings. Does anyone know if this is true or not.