SPOILER TALK: DUNE (2021, Denis Villeneuve)

Jay

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

The ending was very FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING-like.

Reading this make me feel terrified that there's a possibility they won't film the resolutions for the movie's cliffhangers. :banghead:

Oh Denis, WHY DIDN'T YOU FILMED TWO OR THREE MOVIES LIKE PETER JACKSON DID?!?

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'd say it was Nymphomaniac Part I-like. Just a cutoff. The Lord of the Rings movies all have their individual subtitles. Dune is different. There is not even Dune 1 and Dune 2 - it's Dune Part 1 and Dune Part 2 - it is clearly indicated that this experience is gonna be designed as one five hour work.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Just a cutoff.

Dang. I might hold out for part 2 then instead of watching part 1 now -maybe try the book again in the meantime.

Can anybody make a valid case as to why this couldn't be a single 3 hour movie?

It would still have 50% more screen time than the David Lynch movie.

What is the affirmative case for why this absolutely had to be filmed in 2 parts?

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What is the affirmative case for why this absolutely had to be filmed in 2 parts?

If only! If they filmed them back to back, with the bonus covid time they could've released both back to back. But no, it's filmed as one movie, and then another. Maybe. Hopefully.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

If only! If they filmed them back to back, with the bonus covid time they could've released both back to back. But no, it's filmed as one movie, and then another. Maybe. Hopefully.

Let me rephrase the question. Why does the book have to be done in 2 movies. Why can't it be done in one long movie?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Let me rephrase the question. Why does the book have to be done in 2 movies? Why can't it be done in one long movie?

It's a good question, but...why split DH? Why split the final Twilight book?

Answer:

50 minutes ago, badbu said:

money 

My question is: why would Warner Bros. agree to let anyone film half of a book?

Why not film it all - al la LOTR - and then edit it?

@TheUlyssesian's question is a good one.

Some reasons for:

1/ world-building

2/ to try to get as much out of the book, as possible

3/ to increase themes, ideas, and spectacle

4/ 

50 minutes ago, badbu said:

money 

12 hours ago, Thor said:

But not nearly as effective.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Let me rephrase the question. Why does the book have to be done in 2 movies. Why can't it be done in one long movie?

I presume that Villeneuve has captured a lot of detail here that will delight fans of the book. But with some heavy trimming and plot reshuffling (that would probably piss off the loyalists), a single film could have possibly been enough.

I'm on board with the two film setup, but they should have redesigned a new ending for this first one.

Now that the score is out, my friend and I had to resist cracking up when this cue was playing on screen...It was so ridiculously pulpy and over-the-top!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Dang. I might hold out for part 2 then instead of watching part 1 now -maybe try the book again in the meantime.

Don't do that. Watch it in theater.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At least with Dave you got the whole story ;)

Which is part of the problem.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Don't do that. Watch it in theater.

Won't go out of my way to catch one of the 3 first week tuesday morning undubbed versions before they dial it out and switch to trash only.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a good question, but...why split DH? Why split the final Twilight book?

Answer:

My question is: why would Warner Bros. agree to let anyone film half of a book?

Why not film it all - al la LOTR - and then edit it?

@TheUlyssesian's question is a good one.

Some reasons for:

1/ world-building

2/ to try to get as much out of the book, as possible

3/ to increase themes, ideas, and spectacle

4/ 

Harry Potter established that there was a dedicated audience with 6 hit movies before it decided to split a book.

twilight did it after 3 movies.

Isn’t Dune arrogant for doing it with the first book itself,?

What happens if the second isn’t green lit? Wouldn’t that be a devastating failure?

9 hours ago, KK said:

Now that the score is out, my friend and I had to resist cracking up when this cue was playing on screen...It was so ridiculously pulpy and over-the-top!

Ok. I lasted for 50 seconds of that...music? :unsure:

Is it me, or does this sound like every other Zimmer score, from the past ten years?

I'll stick with The Trip To Arrakis, by Toto.

Cosmic.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:44 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

Obviously money but also because of the slow motion. There's a lot of them and if Villeneuve would have done one movie it would have been 5 hours long...

Just a quick question about the movie and book: does Josh Brolin's character dies of screen or does he has a future that's not "teased" in the final cut?

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Obviously money but also because of the slow motion. There's a lot of them and if Villeneuve would have done one movie it would have been 5 hours long...

Just a quick question about the movie and book: does Josh Brolin's character dies of screen or does he has a future that's not "teased" in the final cut?

His character comes back in the book

Gurney was tasked to negotiate with the smugglers on Dune in the novel if I recall correctly. In any case, he escaped the attack on Arrakeen and joined a smuggler group which later encounters Paul's Fremen... Gurney then joins Paul's forces

9 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

That's not really a answer right.

I would reckon if you would give 5 hours, ANYONE could do the book. 

The challenge of cinema and film-making is that is it NOT 5 hours 99.99% of the time. And you have to use all your art and creativity to do it in 3 hours.

So why couldn't Denis do it in 3 hours? He would at least have the chance to do the full book.

And then could make sequels based on other books.

Well as I said Villeneuve uses a lot of slow motion it serves his purpose and gives an identity to certain scenes. Now I don't know anything about the book but I'm sure that to build up a cohesive and logical movie that follows his vision he would have keep this first part intact (minus few scenes) and only add more to it. to complete the book resulting in probably a 5 hours or maybe 4 and a half movie

His choice of two parts is probably the logical step after BR2049 for which (if I recall correctly) he had to cut around an hour because it was too long for the studio. Instead of being in this situation he chosed to only make a first part featuring all he imagined.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

I'm sure that to build up a cohesive and logical movie ...

Can anyone tell me, if this universe acc. to book is supposed to make any sense at all?

I watched the film and nothing in this science fiction world really adds up.

A science fiction world, where the Atreides the supposedly most powerful house of the galaxy and threat to its emperor lives on an empty planet on an island in an medieval castle. It's an empty ireland like world without cities, people, villages etc.... wtf?

There is no civilian live at all - its like the whole science fiction world is sort of dead.

All the worldbuilding won't help if the world and universe it tries to build is sorta dead and makes no sense.

It completely took me out of the film.

Dune the most important planet in the galaxy has only one city with only one spice raffinery???

Suppose they have a big fire and the raffinery burns down, the spice supply for the whole galaxy is gone without a single alternative?

There is technology to space travel but the soldiers still fight with swords and dont have guns?

Only three Atreides guards guard the shield in front of its door, the most important defense facility for the Atreides forces? No guard station or watch post, nothing. There is not even password protection or a two or three way/step deactivation procedure... nothing. 

There is no plan B with an alternate Atreides base in case they got attacked? All Atreides forces and ships are in one place with no backup at all?

The score was really dissappointing, droning around with no identity no life and not one single memorable moment.

Cinematography and acting was great, the characters too. 

All in all sadly the film and this science fiction world is only a shining facade with not much behind... but maybe it is that way in the book too (which i never read).

Well, I can try to give a little more background which might help to address some of your concerns.

In the novel:

Caladan of course has a local population. They grow a kind of rice and export it. Caladan is considered a minor planet, but Duke Leto is well liked by the members of the Landsraad, the council of the great houses. By marrying one of the emperor's daughters (there are no sons), Leto could become very powerful... which the emperor wants to prevent.

Arrakis has several cities. The Harkonnen ruled from a larger one, Carthag, which seemed too difficult to defend in Leto's advisors' opinion.

The shields everyone uses render projectile weapons useless, only a slow blade or similar devices can penetrate them. Laser guns actually cause a minor nuclear blast when they hit a shield, which is why the imperial soldiers would be very careful where to use them... and certainly not against Duncan's ornithopter, which clearly had a shield.

Dr. Yueh was on the Duke's innermost council; it was considered impossible to break his conditioned loyalty. That is why he was able to shut down the shield.

The Atreides forces were stationed everywhere in the high surrounding cliffs and mountains, but the Harkonnens use an ancient, almost forgotten weapon against them, artillery. That way they cause rock slides and trap many of the atreides soldiers.

Oh, and the Atreides were very aware that the odds were not in their favor, so they attempted to form an alliance with both the Fremen (as potential fighters for their cause) and the local smugglers (in order to secure a way to leave the planet in case things got really bad)

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

His choice of two parts is probably the logical step after BR2049 for which (if I recall correctly) he had to cut around an hour because it was too long for the studio. Instead of being in this situation he chosed to only make a first part featuring all he imagined.

Let's just I don't trust Denis' judgement when it comes to length. He cut 1 hour out of his original cut of BR2049???? I might missed that because the film as released is stupidly long by at least 40 minutes if not more. Even Ridley Scott called it needlessly long and he wrote the damn story!

A result of not filming the whole novel is that there is a chance of a devastating humiliation for Denis if Part 2 is not green-lit. So overall I am not sure his length gambits have really paid off.

Finally, Timothée, even if he's French, he was raised in USA, and therefore, he use a lot of english words when he speaks french...

So he's beginning to lose his french.

Sad.

I posted this only for you to understand how to pronounce DeNee VILL-NEV :-)

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So he's beginning to lose his french.

So true. He's got lot of difficulty with the pronouns but it's nice to see for once an interview in French.

Really liked how Brolin doesn't use at the beginning his earpiece to have the translation but who reminds himself after 10 seconds that they're not speaking in English anymore

It's all in foreign! I can't understand a blooming' word!

Villeneuve talks about how it was a dream come true, to make DUNE.

I think that Chalomet talks about how, even though this is "sci fi", DUNE is taken very seriously. He talks about the scene with The Box.

At the end, Villeneuve has a little rant, calling JWfan "a bunch of assholes", for not liking the score.

Allllll right :P But I can imagine it's something along this line... isn't it always

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's all in foreign! I can't understand a blooming' word!

Be fair; no one can learn every language... I studied Latin at school, rather than French :)

On 19/09/2021 at 1:54 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

Let's just I don't trust Denis' judgement when it comes to length. He cut 1 hour out of his original cut of BR2049???? I might missed that because the film as released is stupidly long by at least 40 minutes if not more. Even Ridley Scott called it needlessly long and he wrote the damn story!

A result of not filming the whole novel is that there is a chance of a devastating humiliation for Denis if Part 2 is not green-lit. So overall I am not sure his length gambits have really paid off.

BR felt adequately long to me, while Dune Part 1 feels like there are chunks missing.

On 17/09/2021 at 6:38 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

Can anybody make a valid case as to why this couldn't be a single 3 hour movie?

It would still have 50% more screen time than the David Lynch movie.

It should be three movies. It feels weird without the second book. 3 hours, 3 hours, 2 hours?

On 17/09/2021 at 8:25 AM, KK said:

But not nearly as effective.

Yup.

I'm fine with a popcorn movie not ending in a massive CGI fight, finally, on one hand. On the other this films weird, even if they rearranged the location of the fight on purpose. They should have kept the spirit of this ending while making it different... somehow.

I actually thought the movie would reach longer in the book lol