Back To The Future: The Musical

Jay

• 2 years later...

Masterworks Broadway is delighted to announce the release of the Original Cast Recording to Back To The Future: The Musical. The musical is staged at the Adelphi Theatre in London’s West End and features new music by multi-Grammy winners Alan Silvestri and Glen Ballard alongside hit songs from the movie including The Power Of Love, Johnny B. Good, Earth Angel and Back In Time.

Behind this eagerly-anticipated stage show are Producer Colin Ingram (Ghost – The Musical) and Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, the creators of the Back To The Future film trilogy. The show moves to the West End following an out-of-town opening in March 2020 at the Manchester Opera House where it was enthusiastically received by critics and public alike. Roger Bart and Olly Dobson will reprise the roles of ‘Doc Brown’ and ‘Marty McFly’ respectively. Also returning are Hugh Coles as ‘George McFly’, Rosanna Hyland as ‘Lorraine Baines’, Cedric Neal as ‘Goldie Wilson’, Aidan Cutler as ‘Biff Tannen’ and Courtney-Mae Briggs as ‘Jennifer Parker’.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FZ4DQVN

image.png

44 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, Silvestri was pretty enthusiastic with the musical on his social media.

Yes, he's been posting regularly about it for months now.

58 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, he's been posting regularly about it for months now.

The album announcement says the musical premiered in March 2020, but in Silvestri's recent postings it looks like he's still working on it. Weird.

Maybe some pandemic postponement thing. I believe he posted a photo on Insta yesterday or the day before where he attended the gala premiere. Alongside Zemeckis, Lloyd, Gale, Ballard and some other dude.

Have to admit that I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime, although not heard any of the songs - they seem t have focussed on the existing songs in the marketing. A friend of mine who is a professional musicals/classical reviewer really enjoyed it so I'm relatively optimistic... it's certainly no Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark style disaster.

• 5 months later...

In amongst all the other stuff released and announced today, the cast recording is released today (digitally at least). Couple of tracks in and it's fun, if pretty insubstantial stuff... I rather think everyone will remember the original BTTF theme, Johnny B Goode and the Huey Lewis tracks by the end. Sure I'll see it eventually anyway!

Having given it a full listen, I found the songs are pretty average musically, compounded by weak lyrics which are either trite or cheesy or both (My Myopia is particularly naff). Disappointing given how sparky the dialogue is in the original movie. Musically it's kinda exactly as expected, mixing rockier numbers with pretty typical musical style ballads. This is probably the first musical where the underscore is better than the songs as bits of the original score appear, arranged for the smaller theatre orchestra of course, at a few key moments. Must be quite a challenge to play night after night, that stuff isn't easy. I'll give it a few more listens but as I noted earlier, I would be amazed if anyone coming out of the show without having heard the new songs beforehand would remember anything new, most likely humming the BTTF theme, Johnny B Goode and The Power of Love (which, annoyingly, is ruined with a dialogue excerpt - fairly standard on cast recordings, but it's such a great performance, it's annoying having it on the album).

Yeah, I decided to skim through this last night as well. It didn't grab me really as there is nothing unique about this. It feels directly translated from the film rather than properly realised for a new medium. Having said that, it's interesting to hear the bits from Silvestri's score adapted for small ensemble.

Karol

Silvestri has pushed this musical quite heavily on his Instagram feed in the last couple of years, but I have to admit my interest is pretty much nill.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Silvestri has pushed this musical quite heavily on his Instagram feed in the last couple of years

I’m sure he and Zemeckis/Gale have a significant financial interest in it in terms of a percentage of ticket sales

Kinda same here, started listening with great expectations but couldn't really finish the album.

I liked one or two of the new songs, and there some cool individual moments, but on the whole it didn't really grab me.

When do we get Star Wars: The Musical?

I pity the lyricist trying to incorporate "...but I was going into Tosche station to pick up some power convertors" into a song.

Huh, I didn't realise that the songs from the film were also in the musical... I passively assumed it was all original material.

I find it hard to imagine seeing this and really noticing or caring about the new stuff with the classic songs in there too. They just steal the show.