Oscar Winning ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Howard Shore In Talks To Compose Music For Amazon Studios’ Middle Earth-Set TV Series

Edmilson

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hoo boy

I wouldn't take it too much at face-value: TORn do get things right, especially recently since they've (probably) signed Amazon NDAs, but more often than not they still like to read too much into things, or otherwise play things up for the headlines.

All sounds a bit of a PR mess. At least Doug's tweet would seem to confirm that Shore's involved.

I totally get the notion that all sorts of things can and will change during post in the next 6 months, but if you've agreed with a composer at this point, then not wanting to announce it formally until they've done the score and you're happy with it doesn't scream confidence.

Almost like they want to leave the door open to the option of replacing his music with a 'safer' option at the last minute, and saving face in the process. That would be a pathetic stance IMO - they know his music for the Tolkien world in detail - either they want that style or they don't, and they can easily temp the show with LotR/Hobbit music so check it works.

I just don’t get why they’d want to hire a “name” composer to work alongside Shore.  Seems like hiring a skilled under the radar orchestrator/arranger to adapt his music for the episode underscore is the smarter and cheaper option.

It could be King Kong all over again. Perhaps Shore being rightfully precious concerning his ownership of this franchise is not something the inexperienced producers were banking on. 

But it's a no Shore no go, for me. 

There’s so much music needed for a TV season like this.  From Shore’s perspective it would be like writing an entire PJ trilogy in the space of a few months.  So really, I think they hired McCreary because of his whole (proven, popular-in-the-industry) operation he has set up for cranking out TV scores. 

I will just say it right - does this series deserve a 50 hours of new music from Shore? This series has to  first prove that I think.

If they have even an iota of sense, they would realize that one of the things that made the LOTR movies so successful and distinctive was Shore's really distinctive music. 

If they slap a generic score to this thing, it won't capture the magic that they are trying to capture. Spending half a billion, they should have that much sense. And not cut corners for such an important element as music. 

I just want to stress that other than us at Fellowship of the Fans, nobody had reported McCreary's involvement, so I'd treat it with a grain of salt. At the moment, the trades report just Shore's name.

• 4 weeks later...

It occurred to me that enough people have heard “Shore is composing the show!!” that if he doesn’t compose it, or worse, if he is removed, that would deeply hurt the show’s hype. 

Right. Are the names of musicians listed in the show's IMDb page telling us anything? Felix Erskine seem to be listed for the trailer, but the rest? I see that they do work in London, so maybe we can hope for the return of the London Phillharmonic, and Shore with it?

I'm personally very skpetical of Bear McCreary's involvement: I was part of the panel that originally broke it, but since then we've had follow-ups on Howard Shore's possible involvements, but NOT on McCreary's.

There's no way Shore could score the entire series, even Bear McCreary has co-composers who take on scoring duties in his Walking Dead series. 

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

There's no way Shore could score the entire series, even Bear McCreary has co-composers who take on scoring duties in his Walking Dead series. 

So you'd think! Turns out Shore's already composed, arranged and recorded 60 hours of LotR material and the series will just have to be written around it.

• 1 month later...

Its legit:

Months ago in mid 2019, I recorded and submitted this demo suite of themes and score music to friends & colleagues of mine who are the showrunners for Amazon's Lord Of The Rings series to be considered to be their composer for the show. I knew the political stakes were high for the "composer hire" a show of this budget and stature and I am very grateful and blessed for the opportunity that my music was able to be submitted and listened to by the showrunners.

While I now know that I will not be the composer on the show, and I debated myself over the last few months about whether I make the music I wrote for them public, I ultimately decided that I was proud enough and honored to have worked with the amazing AFM Local 47 musicians in Los Angeles on this demo, I felt it should be out there in the world and not lost to the world.

Instead of releasing it as a retrospective to my work in 2019, I felt it should instead be released on January 1, 2020, symbolic of the beginning of a new chapter and outlook going forward this year in hopes that I can manifest something out of this score demo suite. Ultimately now...I own and control all of the music, themes, arrangements and orchestrations performed in this video and if the right project comes along...(oh say....maybe an other-worldly epic fantasy adventure with dragons and swords)...it could be theirs for their show. I am calling the music suite: "I Think I'm Quite Ready For Another Adventure." Please enjoy!

It's a shame he was rejected and didn't get to work with Howard Shore, that was great stuff! I liked how much thought he put into it, and how he wanted it to fit in with the previously established musical world. The only issue is his work representing the last alliance really can't compare to the Fellowship of the Ring prologue. 

• 2 months later...