Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - 2021 Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection

Romão

I'm only guessing, but unrelased music, early demos, unused songs and the material written for the German stage adaptation may help explain the runtime

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Never saw that one.

What's your opinion of the film?

The film is very good. A classic in many respects. I recently watched it on Disney+; I was amazed at how remastered the picture and sound is. I’ve been dying to hear Alan Menken’s complete score for many years. Soon, it will finally come to be so.

5 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

YES!!! FINALLY!!! DISNEY'S THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME IS FINALLY GETTING AN EXPANDED SOUNDTRACK RELEASE! 160 minutes!?! Holy cow! Instant buy! I need a release date!

This! How did Botnick get involved though? I didn't know those legacy sets were done by, shall we say, people who know what they're doing.

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Never saw that one.

What's your opinion of the film?

Honestly? At the point the film came out I was already tired of the usual story schema where Disney puts every but really every story in with the usual set of characters and storylines. The only left over from the original stories are names, costumes, places and professions or species of the characters. I didn't like it at all.

I really liked it, except the gargoyles. I wonder if this will sound better too because the original release lacked orchestral power, though maybe that's because of bad orchestrations or too few players.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

This! How did Botnick get involved though? I didn't know those legacy sets were done by, shall we say, people who know what they're doing.

Neil Bulk worked on Little Mermaid Legacy I think.

Mulan would be a great title for the Legacy Collection, as well as Randy Newman's early Pixar scores. If I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of unreleased music on the official OSTs of A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, etc.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Mulan would be a great title for the Legacy Collection, as well as Randy Newman's early Pixar scores. If I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of unreleased music on the official OSTs of A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, etc.

Agreed on all counts. Some of the best tracks are missing from A Bug’s Life (all the cues with choir which suggests it was a cost decision and not an artistic one...) notably Return to the Colony and the finale. Still my favourite Newman score for Pixar.

Any expansion of a Randy Newman score is an insta-buy for me no matter what it is.  Too bad no specialty label has ever tackled a Randy score AFAIK?  Only the Disney Legacy Toy Story release.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Any expansion of a Randy Newman score is an insta-buy for me no matter what it is.  Too bad no specialty label has ever tackled a Randy score AFAIK?  Only the Disney Legacy Toy Story release.

I think you are correct. Unfortunately. But I share your sentiments. I’d buy anything Randy Newman. 

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No expansions but:

I believe Intrada premiered a CD release of the Toy Story 3 OST:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7432/.f?sc=16&category=23377

Just now, Falco said:

I believe Intrada premiered a CD release of Toy Story 3:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7432/.f?sc=16&category=23377

For sure but it’s the same contents as the original digital release. I have the cast and crew release which I think is complete but can’t remember the difference in length (away so can’t  check my iTunes library!).

Newman signed my copy of Toy Story 2. Twice. First time he wrote “dear Tom” then got distracted (think he starting ranting about Robert Goulet) and so I asked him later so he signed it twice. Lovely man.  

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Newman signed my copy of Toy Story 2. Twice. First time he wrote “dear Tom” then got distracted (think he starting ranting about Robert Goulet) and so I asked him later so he signed it twice. Lovely man.  

Few things are funnier than Randy Newman signing things.

On 4/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, Romão said:

Kudos for Yavar from bringing this up on FSM, but Bruce Botnick has revealed on the latest Goldsmith Odissey episode that he has just finished work on a Legacy expansion of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, clocking in over 160 minutes.

You can hear it at roughly the 8 minute mark:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8360054-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-along-came-a-spider-2001

Great, great news

And Disney Music Twitter posted this a couple of hours ago:

I just realized that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the film; this upcoming expanded release makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Great news to know the line is alive, and Menken scores keep getting released.

Aladdin must be released someday then! When is it's next XX anniversary?

On 5/12/2014 at 11:18 AM, Jay said:

Well, since Disney seems to be celebrating any anniversary ending in 0 or 5 with this line, I thought I'd compile a list of what could be on tap for 2016-2020:

2016:

Dumbo (75th)

Make Mine Music (70th)

Song Of The South (70th)

Alice In Wonderland (65th)

One Hundred And One Dalmatians (55th)

Walt Disney World (45th)

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (45th)

The Fox and The Hound (35th)

The Great Mouse Detective (30th)

Beauty And the Beast (25th)

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (20th)

--

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (15th)

Monsters, Inc (15th)

Cars (10th)

Winnie the Pooh (5th)

Cars 2 (5th)

2017:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (80th)

Bambi (75th)

Saludos Amigos (75th)

Fun And Fancy Free (70th)

The Jungle Book (50th)

Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (40th)

The Rescuers (40th)

Pete's Dragon (40th)

Aladdin (25th)

Hercules (20th)

--

Lilo and Stitch (15th)

Treasure Planet (15th)

Meet The Robinsons (10th)

Enchanted (10th)

Ratatouille (10th)

Wreck-It-Ralph (5th)

Brave (5th)

2018:

Melody Time (70th)

Peter Pan (65th)

The Sword In The Stone (55th)

Robin Hood (45th)

Oliver and Company (30th)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (30th)

Mulan (20th)

A Bug's Life (20th)

--

Brother Bear (15th)

Finding Nemo (15th)

Bolt (10th)

WALL-E (10th)

Frozen (5th)

Monsters University (5th)

2019:

The Three Caballeros (75th)

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (70th)

Tarzan (20th)

Fantasia 2000 (20th)

Toy Story 2 (20th)

--

Home On the Range (15th)

The Incredibles (15th)

The Princess And The Frog (10th)

Up (10th)

Big Hero 6 (5th)

2020:

The Black Cauldron (35th) - Intrada already covered this one.

Rescuers Down Under (30th)

Dinosaur (20th)

The Emperor's New Groove (20th)

--

Chicken Little (15th)

Tangled (10th)

Toy Story 3 (10th)

Inside Out (5th)

The Good Dinosaur (5th)

I know it has only been a few days since the mention in that interview with Bruce Botnick and the Twitter post from Walt Disney Records, but when will they officially announce The Hunchback of Notre Dame? 

Imagine if it was delayed until 2022, LOL! Just kidding.

An expanded release of Aladdin would be perfect for the film’s 30th anniversary; the same with the upcoming expanded release of The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the film’s 25th anniversary this year. Aladdin was the first film I ever watched. My mom told me that I would always want to watch it again and again.

Getting back to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, they have to officially announce this expanded edition soon, right?

On 4/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, Henry Sítrónu said:

Check out the 1999 musical album! :)

produced and recorded by Bruce Botnick btw!

With a 48piece orchestra – quite unusual for a musical. I think the actual pit orchestra in the show was smaller though. I saw it in Berlin in 2001. 

https://www.discogs.com/de/Alan-Menken-Stephen-Schwartz-James-Lapine-Disneys-Der-Glöckner-Von-Notre-Dame-Die-Höhepunkte-Der-W/release/5982656