Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - 2021 Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection

Romão

You know, I am surprised nothing has been officially announced by now. The only confirmation we’ve gotten was that interview with Bruce Botnick, and that was over a month ago. Ah, when it happens, it happens.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

It is NOT in terms of bad orchestration or few players; it may in fact be the sound mix.

The finale after the final gargoyle line in that pullback shot especially sounds like a bad narrow pinched mix, in the movie too.

I believe there are 2 releases which are pretty much the same - the current 21 track release takes the previous release (which includes a lengthy interview track) and breaks the demos out of the interview track into separate tracks, adds an additional demo.  The actual score/song program is the same and the sound is v much the same iirc.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The finale after the final gargoyle line in that pullback shot especially sounds like a bad narrow pinched mix, in the movie too.

The OST, yes. The film, in DTS Master HD 5.1 it’s not.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The OST, yes. The film, in DTS Master HD 5.1 it’s not.

It's all center! Practically mono.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

It's all center! Practically mono.

Probably shouldn't use some random yokels youtube video to make your point.

...what, the random yokel just switched it to mono after that point?

in exactly the same way as the movie when I watched it a couple weeks ago?

Sorry that I didn't upload a bit perfect rip in atmos to drive to make a point and just chose the perfectly fine quality upload of the scene.

Quite a few HD clips get uploaded to youtube in mono, for example Marcelo Zuniga's Star Wars clip uploads

19 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

Quite a few HD clips get uploaded to youtube in mono

whoops, just like the one I shared

I still heard it be that way in the movie when I watched it though. Can't find any legitimate Disney uploads.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:50 AM, Henry Sítrónu said:

🥰

4E3D4118-05F7-4F4E-9988-BFCC99D94EB4.png

@Henry Sítrónu Any chance of you messaging Mr. Botnick and asking him if he knows when we can expect this expanded release?

...Really? Aside from fact #4 in that video (which was the only one I actually did NOT know, so it was not a complete downside), how could that possibly constitute a hint for the Legacy expansion? 

19 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I did, a few days ago. No response yet. (:

While you're at it, tell him to pester Disney about expanding/remastering Temple of Doom :P

I’m starting to think that I was wrong with my earlier prediction; it does not look like the Legacy expansion of The Hunchback of Notre Dame will be released at the end of this month. Why? There has been nothing hinting at it! It would have at least been announced by now if that was the case. All we have to go by is that interview with Bruce Botnick back in April, and that just all but confirms this release is coming at all.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Looking forward to this Legacy Edition of Hunchback!

I just listened to the Legacy Pocahontas and forgot what an incredibly moving and sweeping score that one is. Although he had done it with other Disney finales before this score, the chorus kicking in during the “Farewell” cue is spine tinglingly fantastic.  I think it gets passed over for Beauty and the Beast and Lion King (not Menken I know) since those films were more financially successful.

I’d wager that Pocahontas and Hunchback are arguably the best and most “mature” of Menken’s scores for these 90s Disney films.

I 100% agree. They are the pinnacle of his output, even though Beauty and the Beast is incredible.

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Joe Brausam said:

Every time this thread bumps I get my hopes up.  I'm sure Hunchback will be great, it's fantastic music!

DAMMIT!!!

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones added and also are we actually getting an expanded hunchback of notre dame release? If so thats amazing its my favorite Menken score

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones

They're too busy demastering Star Wars.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones added and also are we actually getting an expanded hunchback of notre dame release? If so thats amazing its my favorite Menken score

Short answer is: nobody knows except the geniuses running Disney Records.

We're all still patiently waiting for expanded Indiana Jones or Star Wars releases, but it's been confirmed nothing is currently happening with Indy and there's no evidence anything is happening with SW either (they seem content with re-releasing the ancient OST programs ad nauseam).

The logical assumption is that film score expansions are extremely low on the priority list at Disney.

So... we continue to wait. :(

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Listen to the opening nine minutes or so of this:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8360054-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-along-came-a-spider-2001

Yavar

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Short answer is: nobody knows except the geniuses running Disney Records.

We're all still patiently waiting for expanded Indiana Jones or Star Wars releases, but it's been confirmed nothing is currently happening with Indy and there's no evidence anything is happening with SW either (they seem content with re-releasing the ancient OST programs ad nauseam).

The logical assumption is that film score expansions are extremely low on the priority list at Disney.

So... we continue to wait. :(

Thank you for the information, also I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting for Indiana Jones and Star Wars expansions, and I wonder why expanded scores are not a priority for them like don't they realize that people would love to have expanded scores like I do not understand why like expanded / complete scores are like an eeeeeehhhh maybe one day attitude like there are so many scores I would love to have complete

Star Wars music that isn’t John Powell’s isn’t particularly interesting on its own, save a few tracks that Williams wisely put on compilation albums.

As for Indiana Jones, ToD’s album is all you need.

Just now, Kasey Kockroach said:

Star Wars music that isn’t John Powell’s isn’t particularly interesting on its own, save a few tracks that Williams wisely put on compilation albums.

As for Indiana Jones, ToD’s album is all you need.

You're a depraved individual, aren't you

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Thank you for the information, also I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting for Indiana Jones and Star Wars expansions, and I wonder why expanded scores are not a priority for them like don't they realize that people would love to have expanded scores like I do not understand why like expanded / complete scores are like an eeeeeehhhh maybe one day attitude like there are so many scores I would love to have complete

My uninformed and very off the cuff speculation might be that for most casual fans, the existing 2-CD sets for the OT are sufficient perpetual reissue material, the PT isn't exactly the most renowned trilogy of films, and JW would probably immediately dismiss any concept of expanding the ST.

But yeah, general consensus - no bloody idea :| 

54 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

My uninformed and very off the cuff speculation might be that for most casual fans, the existing 2-CD sets for the OT are sufficient perpetual reissue material, the PT isn't exactly the most renowned trilogy of films, and JW would probably immediately dismiss any concept of expanding the ST.

But yeah, general consensus - no bloody idea :| 

Unfortunately you are probably right, but to me how could anyone who works as a film composer not want their fans to be able to hear all the music they have done for a film but again just my opinion 

• 1 month later...

OK getting this into a legible form

Disc 1

1. The Bells of Notre Dame
2. Morning in the Bell Tower
3. Out There
4. The World Outside
5. Feast of Fools
6. Topsy Turvy
7. The Pillory
8. Humiliation
9. Frollo's Judgement
10. God Help the Outcasts
11. The Cathedral
12. Heaven's Light/Hellfire
13. Find the Girl
14. A Guy Like You
15. Escape
16. The Court of Miracles
17. Sanctuary!
18. And He Shall Smite the Wicked

Disc 2

1. Emergence
2. The Bells of Notre Dame
3. Someday (All-4-One)
4. God Help the Outcasts (Bette Midler Version)
5. The Bells of Notre Dame (Demo)
6. Die Glocken Notre Dames (From the Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame")
7. Out There (Demo 1)
8. Out There (Demo 2)
9. Draussen (From the Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame")
10. Topsy Turvy (Demo 1)

11. Topsy Turvy (Demo 2)
12. God Help the Outcasts (Demo 1)

13. God Help the Outcasts (Demo 2)

14. Someday (Demo)

15. Someday (Heidi Mollenhauer Version)

16. In a Place of Miracles (Synth Demo)

17. Hellfire (Demo)

18. Heaven's Light (Reprise - Demo)

19. A Guy Like You (1st Demo)

20. A Guy Like You (Full Demo)

Just me being me again but... so much iconographic value, dark colours, the cathedral itself, and this is the best they could come up with? No big twilight wide shot from the air, fires in the background and a little green Quasimodo up on one of the towers?

XVCD52.jpg

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

No alternates, but a ton of demos, synth demos and... german versions?

Bruce Botnick gives some additional details in the first 10-12 minutes of this podcast where he originally revealed this was coming:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8360054-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-along-came-a-spider-2001

Yavar