Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - 2021 Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection

Romão

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I love these Legacy Collections but it's a shame there are never instrumentals of the song.

I would kill for high quality version of The Bells Of Notre Dame, Out There, God Help The Outcasts, Colors Of The Wind, Belle amd so on.

Yes, I'd take those 100% over crappy synth demos, pop versions, random foreign language musical recordings...

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Maybe it's only on the digital?

This was recorded from Spotify. It is the digital.

If so, it wouldn't be the first time a new score album launched on digital with mistakes that the physical CD version didn't have.

When The Orville Season 2 was first uploaded to the digital streaming/sale sites, a few of the tracks got mixed around, but the track names were still in the right order, so music by one composer got credited to another, etc.  The physical CDs by LLL were fine and I think all the digital sites eventually updated their files

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I used to own this album but now just can’t seem to find it anywhere. Was good as I recall!

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I love these Legacy Collections but it's a shame there are never instrumentals of the song.

I would kill for high quality version of The Bells Of Notre Dame, Out There, God Help The Outcasts, Colors Of The Wind, Belle amd so on.

A shame

Something has to have gone wrong. Maybe it's only on the digital?

The instrumentals thing is doubly  annoying as many other more recent Disney musicals have had singalong albums which are basically the same thing. There’s one for Beauty and the Beast remake but I’d love one for the original and the other Menken animated classics. 

37 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Anybody bought the little mermaid recently? 

i dont think they would have corrected the finale…but just in case…anyone should check

What exactly was wrong with it in the final version, if the master NSB delivered was correct? How does something like that even happen? 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If so, it wouldn't be the first time a new score album launched on digital with mistakes that the physical CD version didn't have.

When The Orville Season 2 was first uploaded to the digital streaming/sale sites, a few of the tracks got mixed around, but the track names were still in the right order, so music by one composer got credited to another, etc.  The physical CDs by LLL were fine and I think all the digital sites eventually updated their files

I'd be the happiest if that were the case... but the difference is that LLL care about things. We should ask as many Botnicks and Disney people as possible just in case though.

Credits from the digital booklet:

image.png

So Bruce Botnick did everything on this release, he definitely is the person to reach.

It's amazing when you think about it if the CD length limit ends up being an excuse for not including a major piece of the score...

3 hours ago, Holko said:

kép.png

OST on top, Legacy on bottom. Fucking horseshit. Not paying a cent for this trash. Leaving off the villain death climax... And my awful theory's holding up, the missing cue is in the gap between discs.

What is that?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

OST on top, Legacy on bottom

You can visually see where the missing music that is on the OST is not on the Legacy edition (and vice versa)

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

A shame

Toy Story had instrumentals, didn't it? I was grateful for those. That release isn't flawless, but it's very, very good.

But yeah, the Legacy Collection overall is one helluva mixed bag. I still can't believe they chose to remix The Lion King so drastically. It really changes the musical content itself in a lot of spots.

Apart from a few awkward cross-fading, The Lion King release was very well-done. The remastering was spot on and the way the score was intended to be heard.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I like the new mix, wasnt it less synthy?

Definitely less synthesized elements. Both the orchestra and choir were put more prominent; in quite a few cases, some instruments and chorus were restored for the first time.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

What exactly was wrong with it in the final version, if the master NSB delivered was correct? How does something like that even happen? 

Towards the end of the finale in one of the stereo chanels the a segment is repeated. It sounds bad.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You can visually see where the missing music that is on the OST is not on the Legacy edition (and vice versa)

Thanks. You don’t need a visual aid to tell that an ENTIRE cue is missing, though. Was this REALLY due to spacing on the CD? If so, there is a simple solution; two in fact: either take out one or two demo tracks on the second CD (A Guy Like You) or take out A Guy Like You from the first CD. Lord knows I tolerate it in the film as is.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

A hopeful assumption, but I very much doubt it.

59 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Apart from a few awkward cross-fading, The Lion King release was very well-done. The remastering was spot on and the way the score was intended to be heard.

Definitely less synthesized elements. Both the orchestra and choir were put more prominent; in quite a few cases, some instruments and chorus were restored for the first time.

You sent me down a mini rabbit hole of looking into the remix. I'd either forgotten or not known that Alan Meyerson purportedly did a new mix because Zimmer didn't like Jay Rifkin's original mixes. So I can't offer any objective critique of Meyerson's work, which is evidently more true to what Zimmer wanted (or at least wanted a couple of decades later). Assuming that's all true, I can see why Disney would go that route for the release.

But still, subjectively, I disagree with Zimmer and prefer the Rifkin mix. Sometimes less is more. I mean, Williams originally intended Duel of the Fates to have all kinds of percussion in it - and thank goodness they pared that down!

It's interesting to hear Meyerson's "kitchen sink" mixes, but for everyday listening I'll take the Rifkin mixes. I suppose since those can be heard elsewhere, I really can't complain too much.

I’d listen to the Legacy Collection mix a dozen times over one listen to the OST mix - but the complete score is v repetitive.  The OST with the better remaster is probably the best version of that score.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Alternate cover I made for this new Hunchback release. Decided to alter the usual template for these to best utilize this stunning artwork.The concept art for this entire production is so gorgeous btw.

Too bad about the odd glaring flaw with missing music bits. But I’ve really dug hearing Menken’s whole score. And the demos are fascinating to hear. While sometimes they seemed to hit the nail on the head with the songs other times they really had to sand off the edges. (Its so jarring and funny to hear that alternate, more jazzy chorus in “Hellfire”)

71D241FD-DD3F-4DCB-875F-4BF16617E1B0.jpeg

Not to criticize Lorelay Bové’s cover paintings (her illustrations are beautiful), but this should have been the way to go; she could have even painted an exterior shot of Notre Dame.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Not to criticize Lorelay Bové’s cover paintings (her illustrations are beautiful), but this should have been the way to go; she could have even painted an exterior shot of Notre Dame.

Yeah I would have LOVED for her to do something with the rose window from the cathedral. It could have still been very colorful and beautiful. Sadly this one of Quasi doesn’t seem the most …creative(?) But I can’t criticize as they’re the one with a working relationship with Disney and doing very well! Lol

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’d listen to the Legacy Collection mix a dozen times over one listen to the OST mix - but the complete score is v repetitive.  The OST with the better remaster is probably the best version of that score.

That's so funny, I'm the complete opposite. I vastly prefer the complete score with the original mixes over any other version.

For all the few issues, and one BIG issue (a MAJOR part of the score missing) the Legacy edition of The Hunchback of Notre Dame has, the remastering is pretty great. The score in particular is more crystal clear and, specifically, dynamic in the right places. Kudos, Bruce Botnick (though WHY LEAVE OUT A CRITICAL PART OF THE SCORE?!?).

35 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I am holding out hope that this was a mistake and will get resolved. I have been waiting too long for Hunchback to now have to make my own edition.

Fortunately, it is not hard since the missing cue is on the original soundtrack album.

Has anything like this ever happened before? I was really looking forward to this one (way more than any other Legacy Collection), and bought it digitally as soon as I saw the news. Already got a refund... It's really too bad. I hope it's as simple as having the correct track (with the missing material) added to the album, but I worry.

3 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

The missing segment was likely meant to be appended to the first track on disc 2 to keep the first disc's running time below the 77 minute mark

Disc 2 does start very very suddenly.

kép.png

Yeah, conspiracy theory time. That definitely looks like the final master had more music at the start of disc 2, which someone hacked off to reduce the runtime, then didn't bother adding silence at the head of the master (as is standard for a pressed CD).

1 minute ago, FrankV said:

What do you mean? "Emergence" starts the same way as "Into the Sunlight".

Just look at it. No silence in front. Discs usually have some leading silence. Almost as if it wasn't actually meant to be Track 1 but following another track. Surely they wouldn't have removed leading silence from the master for the digital versions and then still go through the effort to mark the discs in Spotify and such?

3 minutes ago, FrankV said:

What do you mean? "Emergence" starts the same way as "Into the Sunlight".

He means there's less silence as a lead-in before the music begins, implying that music may have been removed immediately before it (on the new release).

Hopefully a clear answer will be given as to why this cue is missing from this release.

On 18/09/2021 at 4:14 AM, Drawgoon said:

And with all due respect to Mr. Botnick (and I can fully understand that locating, extracting, mixing, mastering and producing this 25-years-old contnet cannot have been easy) this set does not contain "everything". There were number of demos for unused songs among the DVD special features (can be found on YouTube) that didn't make the cut here. Some of those were far more interesting than those iterations of the same demo they ended up including.

Not only that, but the 2002 DVD has the entire instrumental of the Heaven’s Light reprise. It plays in the “Captions” menu, which can be accessed via the “Set Up” menu.