Alan Menken's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - 2021 Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection

Romão

Trying to make sense of the above posts, being fairly unfamiliar with the score.  Am I understanding this correctly:  there is a bit of the movie‘s climax missing from this new release, but it’s available in its entirety on the OST?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Trying to make sense of the above posts, being fairly unfamiliar with the score.  Am I understanding this correctly:  there is a bit of the movie‘s climax missing from this new release, but it’s available in its entirety on the OST?

23 hours ago, Holko said:

kép.png

OST on top, Legacy on bottom.

As you can see here, it's not that simple, the OST has a lot of microedits and little segments missing. The LE has it all except for 2 minutes for the actual big villain death climax.

I'm glad the booklet also includes the Latin text and English translation; I was hoping that would be included. Great and insightful foreword by Alan Menken, Stephen Shwartz and producer Don Hahn.

9 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

The final track on disc 1 that everyone is talking about does not end abruptly, so I'd very much doubt the omission of the segment in question was some manufacturing glitch, or a problem with the masters that was passed on to those streaming services. I am expecting the physical set to be the same.

Personally I don't think this was a decision they made intentionally. Not for a set like this. The missing segment was likely meant to be appended to the first track on disc 2 to keep the first disc's running time below the 77 minute mark - and hence reduce the risk of manufacturing glitches. Perhaps this decision was not documented or communicated well, so the score segment was forgotten about, and its space on disc 2 was then given to yet another demo track.

And with all due respect to Mr. Botnik (and I can fully understand that locating, extracting, mixing, mastering and producing this 25-years-old contnet cannot have been easy) this set does not contain "everything". There were number of demos for unused songs among the DVD special features (can be found on YouTube) that didn't make the cut here. Some of those were far more interesting than those iterations of the same demo they ended up including.

Ugh... I think you're right. And as others have mentioned, disc 2 does begin quite suddenly - as though there should be another track before it. The fact though that they packed the rest of disc 2 with yet another demo, makes me think it's less likely that this will be fixed... I really hope it can, though.

And yes, I know that the missing bit is on the OST - but that's an album from 25 years ago, and it's not a "2021 remaster" like everything else. Is it too much to ask, for a Legacy Collection edition to have all the score from the OST (plus more)? This is just a major letdown. Hopefully something can be done. I'd trade basically any of the demos or extras, to get that score cue.

The sad thing is that the smaller labels would own up to a mistake like this in a heartbeat and get it resolved. 

But the likelihood of Disney even admitting the error, much less fixing it, seems incredibly slim. These things are so niche in their eyes, it wouldn't be worth their trouble. 

Latin text and English translation for the first thing heard in the film and score:

Olim, olim,

Deus accelrae

Hoc saeculum splendium.

Accelerae fiat venire olim.

(Someday, somday)

(God speed)

(This bright millennium.)

(Let it come somday.)

Anybody willing to post the Latin text and English translation for Santuary / And He Shall Smite the Wicked? The booklet oddly does not include this.

OK, so finally listening to it all

The score itself is fantastic

The vocals can get a bit too quiet, buried in the orchestra

Cues often have abrupt entrances in tracks that combine multiple, popping in with a noise level after some total silence instead of gently fading in

1:45+ in The Cathedral, the left channel starts dropping out for seconds, WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS RELEASE, COME THE HELL OOOOON

34 minutes ago, blondheim said:

the remastering sounds very fresh

spared-no-expense.jpg

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS RELEASE, COME THE HELL OOOOON

Has anyone checked that Bruce is OK? He might have gotten a stroke while preparing this release.

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

OK, so finally listening to it all

The score itself is fantastic

The vocals can get a bit too quiet, buried in the orchestra

Cues often have abrupt entrances in tracks that combine multiple, popping in with a noise level after some total silence instead of gently fading in

1:45+ in The Cathedral, the left channel starts dropping out for seconds, WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS RELEASE, COME THE HELL OOOOON

How obvious is the stuff in "The Cathedral"?!

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Has anyone checked that Bruce is OK? He might have gotten a stroke while preparing this release.

Or Random Uncredited Intern They Got To "Finalise" The Release No.478. Anything fucking goes with the Mouse fucks.

1 minute ago, Locrius said:

How obvious is the stuff in "The Cathedral"?!

Very.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Latin text and English translation for the first thing heard in the film and score:

Olim, olim,

Deus accelrae

Hoc saeculum splendium.

Accelerae fiat venire olim.

(Someday, somday)

(God speed)

(This bright millennium.)

(Let it come somday.)

Anybody willing to post the Latin text and English translation for Santuary / And He Shall Smite the Wicked? The booklet oddly does not include this.

Here’s a link to the Latin/English translation for Sanctuary:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/sanctuary-sanctuary.html-1

The very end of the finale sounds weird as I feared too, back when I rewatched the movie. Strings are only in the middle and sound worse, and such.

It's always funny when in the 90s animated movies we finish on a grand orchestral finale and then drop in quality instantly to a whiny pop song with crappy synth samples.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Very.

Ugh. Well, looks like I may be returning to the 90s OST. (Speaking of which, I also prefer how in the OST, "Out There" has a clean beginning.)

The demos waste so many space. The ones with 2 versions are just the same or pretty much he same with solo piano vs crappy synth backing. The german versions have no business here. UGH.

14 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I'm still holding out hope that these are just mistakes with this digital album master and that things will be better with the physical release.

Please, people, cancel your physical preorders and ask for your money back!

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

The demos waste so many space. The ones with 2 versions are just the same or pretty much he same with solo piano vs crappy synth backing. The german versions have no business here. UGH.

Oh, I'm not ordering it until I know it's fixed

Even without it, The Omen ain't the same thing.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

All pre-order sales are final. No, I'm not joking. I'm not mad, either. As I said, once the physical release comes, I will be burning a CD with the issues corrected. I've already restored the missing cue. Now I am just correcting some cross-fading and that stereo level issue with The Cathedral, and problems resolved.

8 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Here’s a link to the Latin/English translation for Sanctuary:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/sanctuary-sanctuary.html-1

Thank you!

Here is the Latin/English translation for And He Shall Smite the Wicked:

Dies iræ.    (The day of wrath)

Dies iræ..   (The day of wrath)

Dies illa.     (That day)

Dies illa!    (That day)

Solvet saeclum in favilla.        (Will dissolve the world in ashes.)

Quando Iudex est venturus.   (When the Judge is about to come.)

Dies iræ!

Confutatis maledictis,       (When the wicked are confounded,)
Flammis acribus addictis, (Sentenced to acrid flames,)
Voca me cum benedictis.  (Call me with the blessed.)

Confutatis maledictis,    (Once the cursed have been silenced,)

Gere curam mei finis!     (Help me in my end!)

Confutatis maledictis, (Once the cursed have been silenced,)

Gere curam!                    (Help me.)

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Finally gave this bit a listen; there's no excuse for at least that to not be fixed at some point...

Does anyone else notice something odd about Frollo's entrance of "The world is cruel..." in this version of Out There?

It seems abrupt like maybe there's a tiny bit missing?

Most of this release sounds really great. I don't even mind the distant vocals. It sort of gives it a cathedral-effect, which is inadvertently appropriate. I really hope these mistakes get resolved so I can purchase it and add it to my display. I like collecting the physical Legacy Collection.

48 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Does anyone else notice something odd about Frollo's entrance of "The world is cruel..." in this version of Out There?

Oh gosh, yep... For some reason there's a little sliver of silence inserted between the string intro and his entrance. You can actually hear a little blip from the last string note repeated when he sings his first words...

EDIT: Maybe Botnick tried to edit two takes together, the instrumental intro and then a different take for the song. It obviously didn't go as well as planned. I could tell something was "off" when I first heard it, but now I know why: it's that little blip of strings that plays out of nowhere, when he starts singing. Ugh.

Start at 1:34 and listen at half speed. You'll see what I mean.

@Holko

On 9/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, blondheim said:

Der Glockner von Notre Dame, the German cast album, is brilliant. James Lapine helped with the show's German transformation. It is much darker, Esmeralda dies, the gargoyles are figments of his imagination, etc. if you can find it in lossless or on CD, grab it immediately. It is one of my all-time favorite discs to spin. The Act 1 Finale, Esmeralda, will leave you breathless.

I’m really enjoying this thread, especially learning about the German stage adaptations, which were unknown to me. 

So I went to YouTube tonight to listen to the cast album (1999), given the enthusiasm folks here show for it. And I absolutely love it. It is f$@&ing amazing. Esmeralda is a drop dead phenomenal song/track; I must have listened to it full a half dozen times and scrubbed back over the gorgeous main theme and its reprises countless times more. Cannot get enough of it.

And then I found that the 2017 version is also on YT and I did it all over again. The song structure and orchestration are considerably different but just as powerful. I don’t understand a lick of German, but it hardly makes a difference; the singers and choir make clear what I’m supposed to feel. Thank you @blondheim for turning me onto this!

I don't know about the German cast album in its entirety, but the selections they put on the Legacy set are indeed amazing. The gentleman who voices Quasimodo in "Out There" (i.e. "Draussen") totally nails all the vocal ranges for this remarkably difficult-to-sing piece.

20 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I’m really enjoying this thread, especially learning about the German stage adaptations, which were unknown to me. 

So I went to YouTube tonight to listen to the cast album (1999), given the enthusiasm folks here show for it. And I absolutely love it. It is f$@&ing amazing. Esmeralda is a drop dead phenomenal song/track; I must have listened to it full a half dozen times and scrubbed back over the gorgeous main theme and its reprises countless times more. Cannot get enough of it.

And then I found that the 2017 version is also on YT and I did it all over again. The song structure and orchestration are considerably different but just as powerful. I don’t understand a lick of German, but it hardly makes a difference; the singers and choir make clear what I’m supposed to feel. Thank you @blondheim for turning me onto this!

No, thank you. If I've turned even one more person onto Glockner then I won't have died in vain. I'm really glad you like it.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame_songs

This is an easy place to access the lyrics for both the English and German versions of the tunes. Each track's page has a German version and American version tab. The English lyrics to Esmeralda be poppin: The flames grow tall and sharp as fleurs-de-lis

13 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

I don't know about the German cast album in its entirety, but the selections they put on the Legacy set are indeed amazing. The gentleman who voices Quasimodo in "Out There" (i.e. "Draussen") totally nails all the vocal ranges for this remarkably difficult-to-sing piece.

Drew Sarich and yes, he is amazing. He was an incredible Jekyll & Hyde in a pretty epic Wildhorn cast, too.

20 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I don’t understand a lick of German, but it hardly makes a difference; the singers and choir make clear what I’m supposed to feel.

German choirs are dedicated. I don't care what everyone else says about the musicality of the language, they clearly feel that shit, I feel that shit.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

Okay, what must one do to beat this release into shape?

1-01 The Bells of Notre Dame - opening missing the film version bells overlay, can be ripped from the film if desired.

1-03 Out There - glitch at 1:34 removed by simply splitting it there and dragging the second half forward slightly, making the halves crossfade.

1-05 Feast of Fools - the very beginning needs a slight fade in, previous track ends on total silence, this one pops in with room noise and breath slightly before the music starts

1-07 The Pillory - 1:13 - next cue pops in with a room noise level from total silence, needs a fadein. OST has a shortened ending in a different key. At 2:22 the strings lower in volume for a short time and come back as if there's a transition or performance edit with a slight crossfade there. There's a pop right at the very end, needs a fadeout.

1-08 Humiliation - needs a fadein at the start, at 0:08 for the next cue's opening and a fadeout at the end, since the next track's room noise already starts here.

1-09 Frollo's Judgment - needs a fadein at the start, and a fadeout at the end since the next track pops in here already

1-10 God Help The Outcasts - needs a fadein at the start, and a fadeout at the end since the next track pops in here already

1-11 The Cathedral - needs a fadein at the start. A bad (but fixable with a loop) take transition pop at 0:18, one at 0:24 (fixable by removing that section and bridging it with a crossfade), one at 0:45 (fixable by a crossfade again). For the left channel dropouts at 1:48, you have to grab The Bell Tower from the OST and patch it in - I recommend replacing roughly 1:39-2:27 of the LE track with the corresponding section, roughly 0:53-1:39 of the OST track, these border points are easy to transition. Awful cue pop-in at 2:37, needs a fadein. Click at 3:54, can be looped over, cue pop-in right after that needs a fadein. Awful cue pop-in at 5:05, needs a fadein.

1-12 Heaven's Light/Hellfire - cue pop-in at 0:39, needs a fadein.

1-14 A Guy Like You -the next track begins already at the end of this track, has to be separated out and joined to it if separateness is desired.

1-15 Escape - as said before, its opening is at the end of 1-14.

1-17 Sanctuary - The transition into the next track is not correct according to the movie, there should be one voiceless drumroll, the voices only enter after the second one. Can be fixed with a movie rip.

1-18 And He Shall Smite The Wicked - the Big One. 8:02- we have 2 minutes missing, can be patched in with 1:38-end of the OST track of the same name. As released, the OST track version's missing a brass stinger insert/overlay at 1:49, can be ripped from the film if desired.

2-01 Emergence - the previously unreleased held strings at 0:56 sound like they're looped. Can be shortened with a crossfade to the rhythmic and lengthwise desires of the individual listener.

2-02 The Bells of Notre Dame (Reprise) - IMO the stereo field of 0:49- of the OST track is less jarring, can be replaced if desired.

Bonus: Film credits end with The Bell Tower without choir and an alternate ending. Can be ripped from the movie.

Thanks to @JohnnyD for the info about film differences!

Very good work. Have to admit that my music editing skills are not up to it so may have to ignore these glitches when I finally buy it (going to hold off on the chance it gets fixed… but I don’t hold out much hope).

However I think we should now have a moratorium on any complaints about minor glitches on releases from the film music speciality labels! ;-)

28 minutes ago, Locrius said:

I'll never understand how fans can pick up on these things so quickly, yet the people spending months working on them, don't (or don't care?). Everything you just listed should have been addressed before signing off on this release and making it available.

Because they are fans! They care about the stuff!

For many others this is just a job - complete with all its coordination difficulties, problems, set-backs, and all the internals politics and external life challenges involved with every job and career. These people don't get to work from the comfort of their homes, at the times that is most convenient to them. They are not free to do as they wish - they may be subject to all kinds of legal and bureaucratic nonsense that may influence or even challenge every tiny little bit of work they do to the music.. They may not even be working on a material they actually like.

Just a generalization, of course. I am not implying any of this is applicable to Mr. Botnk.

Albums with cross-faded tracks (and not those where a single track split into smaller bits) usually have some of the issue Holko discovered (i.e. the contents of a track begins towards the last few seconds of their preceding track). I think in order to find the best time-frame (for putting in the marker that designates the end of a track), one has to listen to the piece on headphone to hear all the details in the quieter parts. But I doubt many engineers take this road for such album programs.

Doesn't Botnick usually work alongside somebody else, doing the mix/master but not necessarily the assembly? Did Disney even communicate it to him that what he turns in will be the final assembly, it won't pass through a couple more layers of finetuning? How many uncredited employees did it go through, were they the ones who messed some things up like with Little Mermaid after Neil Bulk turned in an errorless master? We simply have virtually no information on where to put the blame. But treating art like this is deplorable. Disney of all companies with their infinite money should be able to afford hiring the best of the best who do care and love the material, and give them ample time to work on it.