Netflix Purchases Roald Dahl

Jurassic Shark

1 minute ago, Smeltington said:

I can't wait to not see what they come up with!

Well, on the one hand, that Wonka origin story movie is obviously eye-rolling, cash-grabbing, Disney-chasing nonsense.  But on the other hand, it's being directed by Paul King, who gifted us Paddington and Paddington 2.... so I might actually watch it when it comes out.

Well if it's good, it's good. I'm looking this up... Timothee Chalamet is playing Wonka??? LOL! Well it just may turn out to be watchable. But that's apparently Warners and not Netflix? Meanwhile Netflix is throwing Taika Waititi at their own Wonka, which I can do without.

Very much none for James, excepting the craftsmanship.  Maybe some love for Fox, but again mostly an appreciation of the craftsmanship.

Also no love for either Witches or the Burton Charlie (outside of Elfman’s score).  I think BFG is somewhere on the docket with our kid in the break between Halloween and Christmas, and I hope to like it!

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Very much none for James, excepting the craftsmanship.  Maybe some love for Fox, but again mostly an appreciation of the craftsmanship.

Also no love for either Witches or the Burton Charlie (outside of Elfman’s score).  I think BFG is somewhere on the docket with our kid in the break between Halloween and Christmas, and I hope to like it!

Not sure how I feel about any of this but I did like James and the Giant Peach. Charming Randy Newman score too. 

On 22/09/2021 at 9:44 AM, Smeltington said:

Well if it's good, it's good. I'm looking this up... Timothee Chalamet is playing Wonka??? LOL! Well it just may turn out to be watchable. But that's apparently Warners and not Netflix? Meanwhile Netflix is throwing Taika Waititi at their own Wonka, which I can do without.

From the writer/director of the Paddington films, and now has Olivia Colman, Sally Hawkins, and Rowan Atkinson in the cast???? Yooo.  Shit and it also has Rich Fulcher (who I know best from the classic comedy series Snuff Box that he and Matthew Berry did 15 years ago)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/rowan-atkinson-sally-hawkins-and-olivia-colman-join-timothee-chalamet-wonka-movie-1235022596/

Just now, Jay said:

Literally one of my favorite singer/songwriters ever.  Between Divine Comedy and Duckworth Lewis Method every album he's ever put out is awesome.

It's like they're making this movie specifically for me, even though in concept it's a movie I think should not exist.

I wouldn't call it terrible, it had Tim Burton's quirkiness and elements of gothic horror that made it work in a superficial way. I thought the Bucket family house and the opening sequences were alright.

The score and songs were great!  I don’t think I’ll ever really come around to it, but the movie did improve somewhat in my estimation with a second viewing with my kid a decade and a half later.  Burton’s Alice also improved in my estimation, although much more slightly.

I actually LOVE the Burton film. It's amazing to me that he managed to capture a lot of the feelings and moods I experienced when I read the book as a kid. The score is amazing too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 5:19 PM, Smeltington said:

Well shit, maybe we'll get the Wonka movie we didn't even know we wanted.

And here's the first look at Chalamet in character.  Very Dickensian.

Spoiler

image.png