Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Woah.  Just started the 90 second sample on iTunes and was not prepared for what I heard.  Huh.  Interesting.

This is going to play under the end credits of every episode?

LOL.

Okay, this man at least deserves some credit for trying something fresh and different, all without resorting to one or two-note motifs or plain sound designs from start to tail.

But again... LOL

I will say the *very ending* right before the sample cuts off sounds intriguing (somewhat Solo-esque as others have said). That opening though is super jarring. Definitely will take some getting used to.

Yup there it is, thanks

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/rqkq14/the_main_title_theme_of_the_book_of_boba_fett_by/

This youtube embed will work once its the 29th in the country your IP is from

Same with this Spotify link: 

Listening to the entire track is indeed better than the 90 second sample.  The  Māori-esque voices in the first half are I suppose a nod to Temuera Morrison's own Māori heritage?  It also kinda reminds me of a sea shanty.

And wow yea the second half starts off sounding exactly like the Secrets Theme from Powell's Solo score!  Weird.  What did that theme represent in that movie?  Wasn't it mostly when Qi'ra was around?  Is she gonna be in this show?

Did they pretend she's in that Marvel show to secretly film her for this instead?

When I hear that chant I imagine 3 drunken aliens stumbling out of the Mos Eisley cantina singing this staggering down the street.

Without judgement, when I hear Göranson's music it is less like listening to the work of an educated musician but to the output of a kid in the sandbox of musical tools.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Music Themes by Ludwig Goransson

Score by Joseph Shirley

Big opportunity for Shirley, whose name I've seen in the credits of Gorannsson scores for years.  Very much in the normal tradition of the post Zimmer world where composers start as assistants/gofers/IT support and maybe get to graduate up to additional music/orchestration and then maybe get to graduate up to co-composer credit.

Wonder if this is how all episodes will be or if Ludwig focused on some episodes like the finale and scored them himself, kind of like Mando S2.

2 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

JW-connection in first episode:

Hide contents

The music in the cantina sounded like a variation of the original cantina band tune :)

Spoiler

"Cantina Latina"

Written by John Williams, peformed and produced by Robert Rodriguez and Mark Del Castillo.

First time listening to this new theme. What a blast. The grunting/shouting/singing. The spur-like “shiiing” percussion hits. This is another fond tip of the hat to Morricone western scores. So darn interesting and catchy. And I don’t find myself lamenting it doesn’t sound like JW. Can’t wait to watch the first episode :)

So Powell isn't credited for the Secrets Theme, and there are no cues that use this melody other than the end credits cue?

On 29/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jay said:

So Powell isn't credited for the Secrets Theme, and there are no cues that use this melody other than the end credits cue?

No, Powell is not credited because Powell is not quoted anywhere. Whatever similarity that part of the credits may have to the Secrets theme seems to be purely coincidental at this point. I think this is a lot more like when some folks said they heard a bit of Jedi Steps in A Friend. I know what's being referred to and it could very well be right, but I'm not hearing it.

All of these new ideas are blending together in my head, so while I may be misremembering I seem to recall this particular melody appearing in the prologue. In any case, barring some change in how they are applied throughout the show, I'm assuming all of the themes in Ludwig's piece are synonymous with Boba Fett's character and the cool things he does.

Yea, I suppose it's not EXACTLY the same as the Secrets theme, and the fact that Powell isn't credited confirms its meant to be a separate thing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it started as a temp track that he followed too closely!

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Just for the record… it shouldnt be Max rebo… as he was in the sail barge when it exploded….

But of course it can be retconned that he somehow escaped….

Bib Fortuna made it off so anything goes.

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Was he in the sail barge?

Yeah there's a shot of him grinning during 3PO's speech.

Watched the first episode today. Not impressed with the score so far. The music of The Mandalorian took an episode or two to grow on me, so maybe the same will happen here, but I'm kinda doubting it. Not my cup of tea.

Watched the episode last night and really liked the music!

The new main theme is really catchy, and worked quite well in in the underscore through the "flashback" parts - I liked it more in all those cues than in the end credits arrangement actually.

I thought it was interesting that in the 15 minute "interlude" of the "present day", he was scored by that bouncy theme he had from Season 2 of Mando instead, which I suppose is intentional.  It worked for me!

I didn't notice the Powell Secrets motif being used, but of course I don't always notice everything the first time I watch something when I am primarily enjoying the show itself

Good news! According to Film Music Reporter, two full soundtrack albums featuring themes by Göransson and score by Joseph Shirley will be released on January 21 (Volume 1: Episodes 1-4) and February 11 (Volume 2: Episodes 5-7) respectively. Not that it was really in doubt, but it's nice to have official confirmation. 

Boba Fett's motif is what you hear for the first 20 seconds or so. I can see how some of that repeated note thing as an idea has stuck around for his theme in Book of Boba Fett. Maybe I'm crazy - they're certainly not note for note in comparison, but there's something here maybe.

The Bespin Dirge 1 motif as coined by music theorist Frank Lehman is connected to the Boba Fett theme, and the oscillating notes to me sound a lot like the material for the Book of Boba Fett show! Pretty cool stuff 

I see some people in this thread are making comparisons to the secrets motif in Solo for one section of music. It's perhaps a coincidence, but given that Ludwig Göransson used Kevin Kiner's Ahsoka theme in Mando, I would think it's not completely out of the question for him to know about this. In addition, since the Boba Fett show deals with the crime underworld like Solo, this might be an interesting/underlying thematic connection between the two.