Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

So how was the score in episode 3?

The choral section midway through was terrific. The rest was fine if not especially outstanding, some of the chase music at the end felt a little hokey, but that whole sequence was pretty hokey which might have coloured my impression of the score somewhat.

Interesting, I liked that

Spoiler

escape cue,

on its own, it reminded me of like Arnold's Bond scores or something similar, though admittedly Drum N' Bass does feel weird/wrong for Star Wars.

I liked the dark fanfare for

Spoiler

the cut to the city at night as well..

If you had told me that I would be excited about a show 1) led by Boba Fett 2) on Tatooine 3) where I got very sad about dead sandpeople I would have had you tied to a mast and shipped off for fear you'd gone mad.

My wife kept remarking how beautiful that choral/lament piece was in episode 3 when we watched it last night. And she rarely notices music in the middle of a film. There’s been a lot of great choir/vocal work in this score for this show so far. Also, it seems, fewer harsher electronic elements in this one. (Either that or I’m just used to the soundscape for these shows now).

Count me among those that liked that choir cue in ep 3!  I honestly didn't notice any other interesting music in ep 3, though that often happens the first time I watch something and am just taking in the thing itself for the first time.

I'm sure the OST album will be illuminating.

Just a few more days to go!

This show is losing my interest very quickly and I think the score for the most part has been fine, nothing more and nothing less. There are certainly a number of highlights that I'm looking forward to hearing on Friday, and I'd be really surprised if any of these major standouts are left off the album. At the very least, I'm hoping to be able to put together a really solid 50-60 minute playlist by the end of this, and I think it's on pace for that. 

Here's what I heard in the latest chapter...

image.png

Bacta Tank / Scouting Jabba's Palace - Organic noises transition into the flashback where the title card theme plays very softly. Mostly blends into the background.

Finding Fennec - A brief reference to Chapter 5's Night Riders complete with the little Mando stinger. Some cellos segue into another reference to a mysterious bit from Chapter 5 (I think it's from the track The Hangar) and eventually lead into the title card.

Chop Shop - Grungy electronic source music.

Drink Up - Some atmospheric touches play under Boba and Fennec by the campfire.

To Jabba's Palace - Some percussion and string accents, with another reference to The Hangar. There's some pizzicato for the little spy droid.

Breaking In / The Kitchen - Low-key electronics and pizzicato with hints at Boba's S2 theme. 

Firespray - The vocals combine with Boba's S2 theme briefly, before electronics and strings take over for the shootout. The "not Secrets" theme plays victoriously as the ship leaves the hangar.

Scores to Settle - Boba's S2 theme is in full force, with the angular fanfare playing as he takes out the speeder gang.

Sarlacc Pit - A strange soundscape of choir, strings and trumpet runs.

Loyalty / Bacta Flashback - Starts with some quiet Boba sounds and eventually becomes what sounds exactly like the cue from the Mando post-credits scene. May even be tracked in.

Completely Healed - Very short cue.

Another Cantina Source - Self-explanatory.

Bar Fight - Brief electronics.

Another Cantina Source (Again) - More of the same.

Recruiting Krsantan / Dinner Table - A mix of percussion, Boba sounds, and strings.

Mando Tease - The only major spoiler here, which is the very clear allusion to the recorder riff and the "western" title card theme at the end of the episode.

That's not true.

This article was released 3 months before the first episode aired - bolding is mine

Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther, Creed, Tenet, Venom, Community) is returning as composer for the upcoming Disney+ original series The Book of Boba Fett. The show stars Temuera Morrison in the title role and Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand, both of which are reprising their roles from Lucasfilm’s first Star Wars live-action series The Mandalorian. Jon Favreau (Iron Man, The Jungle Book, Elf), Robert Rodriguez (Sin City, Alita: Battle Angel) and Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars: The Bad Batch) are executive producing the Lucasfilm production. Scoring sessions for the project have already started in recent weeks. Göransson has previously scored the first two seasons of Lucasfilm’s The Mandalorian, for which he received two Emmy Awards. Joseph Shirley (The Mysterious Benedict Society, Bad Trip, Fairfax) who has provided additional music to The Mandalorian and collaborated with Göransson on several other projects is also involved in scoring the project and is expected to receive full composer credit, but no final credits have been confirmed yet. The Book of Boba Fett will premiere this December on Disney+.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/09/22/ludwig-goransson-scoring-disneys-the-book-of-boba-fett/

Yup that's how we figured out the TROS track list!  Someone shazammed the FYC album and got a Shazam URL that had an ID# in it, and then we just added and subtracted 1 from that number until we found every track.  There was a track about legalizing weed from some other album with an ID # in between two of the TROS tracks :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup that's how we figured out the ROTS track list!  Someone shazammed the FYC album

Pretty sure it would have been impossible to figure out the tracklist for Revenge of the Sith that way ;)

Music was fun in Episode 4. The “bouncy theme” gets a nice showcase.

“Bouncy Hunter (TM)”

Seems to be used when Boba is doing cool stuff. It contrasts nicely with the new Title theme for this which seems to reflect the “honorable warrior” part of Boba Fett that they’ve created in this show. 

13 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The only thing I'm worried about is the train heist cue from Chapter 2. I haven't been getting any results for it

Not in the final tracklist, either. Excuse me, what the fuck you clueless baboons?

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I believe the most important parts on the album.

I think track 10 is the train sequence.

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think track 10 is the train sequence.

13 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Ultimate Boon - Boba gets his new clothes and makes his staff.

Now we demand a "great action pieces not previously released from Mando and TBOBF because fuck you" album with these chases!

I find it interesting they put the theme track at the end of the album instead of it being the first track

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Now we demand a "great action pieces not previously released from Mando and TBOBF because fuck you" album with these chases!

There is always one action cue per disc isnt there.

(3 if you count Mando season 2 disc 2)

I listened to the OST album this afternoon.  I liked it!

It's clearly not as good as any of the Mandalorian albums, but it's still good music, especially in consideration against all current scores made these days

I wouldn't know what music goes with what, and what highlights may be missing, but I look forward to reading someone else's breakdown of all that!

2 hours ago, D_A_R_T_H said:

Stop that Train ?

00:00-02:18 is the train drive-by and the burning of the bodies.

02:18-End is Boba bringing the speeders back to the Tuskens.

Finished my first listen of the album. Great fun. And It’s a more consistent listening experience Id say than Göransson’s scores for Mando season 1 and 2. Maybe because each episode of that show essentially took you to a different planet or a different genre twist was going on (Compare Chapter 5 “The Gun Slinger” episode music to the prison break/heist in Chapter 6 for example. The Mando theme/motifs are consistent. But musically, it’s apparent he’s in a completely different adventure.) 

Because BoBF all takes place in the same location, the music doesn’t feel like it needs to change it up a bunch. Which makes for a smoother experience for me - minus the Mod Parlour cue;) Despite wanting an album per episode, a single album for this batch now makes sense to me. 

I feel like the crazy beats and electronic enhancements have melded better in this score too. Not like there’s less of them.They’re definitely still there. Maybe this take on the Star Wars universe doesn’t sound so foreign to me anymore and I’m use to it. Either way, it was great. Now if only we could get a couple of those missing highlights …This would make a stellar 70 min album with an already great narrative arc. Looking forward to the next volume :)

Listening to the album a second time today on Spotify, I am less impressed.

There's a lot of generic music they chose to put on this album, and I absolutely know I heard some very good and interesting music in the show that is not here at all.

Whoever was in charge of assembling this album did a poor job, both in choosing the right highlights, and in making an album that is consistently good from top to bottom regardless of what wasn't included.

I also think it was a mistake to include the source music cue.  There's been so many source music cues across both seasons of Mando and this, a future album of just source cues from both shows probably would have been pretty cool and sold fairly well - people love that stuff.  Then maybe we could have gotten Cantina Latina

Of course, if they had simply done individual episode albums like Mando season 1, all these issues would have been easily avoided (and the mouse probably would have made more money, too)

Oh, absolutely!  I love a ton of the music on this album!  I just am already over enjoying the album as a whole after 2 listens.  A shorter playlist will be enjoyed by me very much

And I am still very much looking forward to hearing the score in the final 3 episodes, and then its OST album!

Also: The main theme is a total earworm, I have it running through my head right now!