Jump to content

Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)


The Illustrious Jerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

If it was meant to be the Secrets theme, Powell would have been credited. Since he's not, it's gotta just be a coincidentally similar sounding theme. IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Can anyone imagine what "Buccaneer 101" means?

Likely "Buccaneer" was the production code name, with 101 being the episode number (series 1 episode 1 - "101").

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rewatched the episode just to keep an ear out for the score and the cue for when the sand people pick him up until he arrives at their camp is cool as heck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really liked all the music throughout the whole episode!

I wish they were doing episodic releases like Mando Season 1 and WandaVision and What If, instead of Volume releases like Mando Season 2 and every other MCU show

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no idea if Disney Records decides this, or if its up to the composer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thoughts:


 

Spoiler

I liked the little thing for the droid on the train

 

I wish the ending was louder, it got buried a bit (pun sort of intended)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Thoughts:


 

  Hide contents

I liked the little thing for the droid on the train

 

I wish the ending was louder, it got buried a bit (pun sort of intended)

 

 

The droid GTFO'in was probably my favorite part of the episode, but I have to admit I wasn't paying close enough attention to the music in that sequence on a first watch, I was just following the visuals.

 

Also: Grace Under Pressure was better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How have you watched this already Stu? Aren't you working today?

I'll watch it tonight after work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jay said:

How have you watched this already Stu? Aren't you working today?

I'll watch it tonight after work

 

My workplace still closed following our big winter storm!  Very thankful to work for a place that doesn't make people work from home for weather closures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched too!  Woke at 5:30 for my run and then came in and watched while I was cooling down.  The morning is a good time baybeeeee

 

Score had some real standout moments this week - the train chase and the Tusken armor-up sequence are going to sound great on album.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still convinced that the similarity to Powell's "secrets theme" is just a coincidence, but the inclusion of the Pikes in this episode was an unexpected development. Perhaps there is more to it after all. Maybe that will turn out to be the main link between the flashbacks and the present? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I doubt the connection myself, especially as it’s used in the show.  But I’d love to see Q’ira ride into Mos Espa on a litter.

 

Only if they recast with an older actress instead of having the Thrones-lady-who-can't-act-good play older.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Only if they recast with an older actress instead of having the Thrones-lady-who-can't-act-good play older.

 

Canonically it's only been what, like 10 years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

 

Canonically it's only been what, like 10 years?


Probably more like 15.  It’s borderline

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to say, I liked this episode much better than the first one. Furthermore, the storyline is expanded to his time with the tuskens, I think this is done very well. My concern about the current storyline as New Jabba got even bigger now, I don't know, it all just doesn't add up. 

 

 

The music seemed a bit more classically orchestral this episode, I liked it a lot, expectedly I liked the cue where he was dressed and building his cane the best. Shirley plays really nice with the theme there, the chord progression is also just really nice. Now I'm happily waiting for the music to come out in the albums!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, you could almost call that plagiarism! The 4 essential aspects instrumentation (male chanting voice), rhythm (dance-like 3/4 time), melody and harmony were taken over more or less exactly.

 

Great composers steal...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This has gone a bit viral, but posting here in case any one hasn't seen it yet.  This is from a 1984 Swedish childrens movie and many think it's a clear influence on Ludwig's Boba Fett theme and that he probably grew up with this movie.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0a-sjfOn0

@Thor even mentioned it in this very thread just after the theme was released. It also instantly reminded me of Nordic folk songs the first time I heard it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Once said:

@Thor even mentioned it in this very thread just after the theme was released. It also instantly reminded me of Nordic folk songs the first time I heard it.


So is that a very well-known movie in that part of the world?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:


So is that a very well-known movie in that part of the world?

Yes, Ronja Rövardotter is a very well-known in Scandinavia - both the book and the 1984 adaptation. Most adaptations of Astrid Lindgren's many books are well-known here, actually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There was an English Pippi Longstocking movie from the 80s I remember liking as a kid

Oh, that’s right. I also watched and liked it as a kid. Fun fact (for me only, probably); the film’s composer, Misha Segal, actually offered to score my very first feature-length film. It was self-financed, though, and I couldn’t afford him.

 

Edit: I’m getting way off topic, sorry! Can’t wait to listen to this score for this when it’s released properly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This has gone a bit viral, but posting here in case any one hasn't seen it yet.  This is from a 1984 Swedish childrens movie and many think it's a clear influence on Ludwig's Boba Fett theme and that he probably grew up with this movie.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0a-sjfOn0

 

On 29/12/2021 at 3:40 AM, Thor said:

I immediately thought of old Norse/Nordic folk songs rather than New Zealand in that cue. For example, the way it's used in Astrid Lindgren's RONJA RÖVERDOTTER (RONJA, THE ROBBER'S DAUGHTER) by composer Björn Isfält. It would make sense since Göransson is Swedish, and the vibe of medieval robbers and outlaws in the Lindgren universe matches somewhat with the spaghetti western/outlaw vibe of Boba Fett. So a cross between Morricone and Norse, I'd say.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

We are now two episodes in and the consensus on the score has been pretty good so far! I'll admit there have been a few times where the music seems to be missing an extra punch, but Shirley is doing good work with a strong set of themes and I look forward to hearing the forthcoming albums. 

 

Once again, I'll leave what I heard in a spoiler block for the time being...

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Wait, how are you able to listen to the individual tracks from the episode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Wait, how are you able to listen to the individual tracks from the episode?

 

Pretty sure he's just listening to the music in-episode and giving a breakdown. The titles are of course not real, they're just so we know what pieces he's referring to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

 

Pretty sure he's just listening to the music in-episode and giving a breakdown. The titles are of course not real, they're just so we know what pieces he's referring to.

Ah that makes more sense. The titles were so convincing that it certainly fooled me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The music in episode 2 was really good the entire time, and there was so much of it!

 

I'm already annoyed that we are getting condensed volumes again, because I know when the Vol 1 OST drops in 2 weeks it will only have at most half of the great music in this episode on it.  

 

I wish we knew if it was Gorannson/Shirley's decision or a Disney exec's decision to not do weekly volumes, because this show clearly has good enough scores it absolutely deserves the weekly treatment.  Bah!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm still convinced that the similarity to Powell's "secrets theme" is just a coincidence

 

It is absolutely 100% a coincidence / temp-track love.  If it was meant to be the Secrets theme, Powell would be credited. 

 

I mean really, it was only a brief possibility when all that was had was the theme track and no visuals, and we heard it and pondered what it could mean.


Now that we've seen the show and that melody is used as general underscore for Boba doing his thing, it's clearly not meant to evoke any of the people or organizations it represented in the Solo movie.

 

It's just a similar sounding melody.  That's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

It is absolutely 100% a coincidence / temp-track love.  If it was meant to be the Secrets theme, Powell would be credited. 

 

I mean really, it was only a brief possibility when all that was had was the theme track and no visuals, and we heard it and pondered what it could mean.


Now that we've seen the show and that melody is used as general underscore for Boba doing his thing, it's clearly not meant to evoke any of the people or organizations it represented in the Solo movie.

 

It's just a similar sounding melody.  That's it.

 

Yep that's exactly what I've been saying. If Crimson Dawn ends up being involved it'll certainly be a very interesting coincidence!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Only if they recast with an older actress instead of having the Thrones-lady-who-can't-act-good play older.

 

20 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Canonically it's only been what, like 10 years?

 

 

Solo takes place 19 years years before The Book of Boba Fett's main timeline / 14 years before it's flashback timeline.

 

Emilia Clarke was 30 when Solo was filmed in early 2017, and would have been 34 if she filmed any scenes for this show early last year.  So the actress ages 4 years but the characters ages either 19 or 14 years depending on which timeline she might show up in.

 

Some googling tells me Qi'ra was meant to only be 21 years old in Solo.  Meaning she'd be 40 years old during The Book of Boba Fett's main timeline and 35 during the flashback timeline.  So 34 year old Emilia Clarke playing 40 or 35 year old Qi'ra is actually pretty spot-on.

 

 

The bigger silliness with actor ages is Temuera Morrison himself.


Boba Fett was 10 years old in Attack of the Clones, so would be 35 during TESB and 36 during ROTJ/the flashback portion of Boba Fett, and 41 during the main timeline of Book of Boba Fett.  But Temuera Morrison is 61 years old, and looks it!

 

Maybe clones age faster :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Boba Fett was 10 years old in Attack of the Clones, so would be 35 during TESB and 36 during ROTJ/the flashback portion of Boba Fett, and 41 during the main timeline of Book of Boba Fett.  But Temuera Morrison is 61 years old, and looks it!

 

Morrison is a likeable actor, but has zero charisma and isn't strong enough to lead the show, IMO. I get that Star Wars fanatics like the consistency, but they probably should have recast Fett. It wouldn't be the first time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figured it might be some mix of "sarlac" and "not aging as normally as they told his Dad".

 

Also looking at Anakin and Obi-Wan, 40's and 50's looks very different in Star Wars.

 

 

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Morrison is a likeable actor, but has zero charisma and isn't strong enough to lead the show, IMO.

 

I've never been a Fett fan, I couldn't stand Attack of the Clones, and I hated his voice work in The Empire Strikes Back. But somehow in Mando he won me over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I've never been a Fett fan, I couldn't stand Attack of the Clones, and I hated his voice work in The Empire Strikes Back. But somehow in Mando he won me over.

 

Exactly. He was great in Mandalorian, but in that show he was a supporting character. I'm just not convinced (yet) that he's a strong enough presence to lead the show. We'll see.

 

It's also possible that the writing isn't as good as it could be and therefore his character isn't as strong. The flashbacks are sort of falling flat with me,  and while I think the "present day" story is more compelling, his character doesn't have much of a commanding presence, IMO.  Admittedly, I want him to be more of a villain than they're making him out to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

looking at Anakin and Obi-Wan, 40's and 50's looks very different in Star Wars.

 

To be fair, each planet in the Star Wars galaxy has a unique orbital period around its respective sun. How can they possibly have a standard year in the first place? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 4:51 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

 

Canonically it's only been what, like 10 years?

Solo takes place about halfway between #3 and #4, which is 10 years’ gap, and #4 is 4 years before #6 and Mando/Boba are at least 5 years after that... so it’s closer to 20 years after.

As far as the score, the theme is great and there’s definitely a good amount of good music, though not as much as in Mando. Still enough to make for some killer OSTs when they release!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been getting a lot of fan covers in my recommendations, and while I'm largely adverse to the more popular remixes that can readily be described as "epic", there are still quite a few proper musicians who have put together some genuinely neat arrangements. There's something about seeing talented people sharing a passion for something that I too enjoy that will always be fun for me.

 

Anyway, here's a cool cello version that I really liked: 

 

 

And more cello!

 

 

I wonder if they're going to end one of the later episodes with an orchestral version of the credits, similar to what they did in Mando S1. I'd be curious to hear it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.