Ludwig Göransson's TURNING RED (2022)

Jay

Ludwig Göransson to Score Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’

Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther, Tenet, Creed, Venom, Community) has been tapped to score the upcoming animated feature Turning Red. The film is directed by Domee Shi (Bao) and features the voices of Rosalie Chiang and Sandra Oh. The movie revolves around a 13-year-old girl who suddenly “poofs” into a giant red panda when she gets too excited and her over-protective, mother who is never far from her daughter. Lindsey Collins (Finding Dory, John Carter) is producing the Pixar Animation Studios production. Turning Red is scheduled to be released in theaters nationwide on March 11, 2022 by Walt Disney Pictures.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/07/14/ludwig-goransson-to-score-pixars-turning-red/

That should be interresting. Hopping that Göransson will show his versatility by writing a different score from his Tenet/Venom/Mandalorian that didn't work much from me (apart from certain theme of Mando)

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

He's shown a lot of range with Community, at least in the pastiche department, so this shouldn't be a problem. 

Karol

Community is so far the best thing he ever wrote IMO. Too bad there ain't no complete release of it

• 5 months later...

1400x1400bb.webp

‘Turning Red’ Soundtrack Album Details

Walt Disney Records will release the official soundtrack album for Pixar Animation Studios’ Turning Red. The album features the movie’s original score composed by Academy Award and Grammy Award winner Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther, Tenet, Creed, Community, The Mandalorian). Also included are the film’s original songs written by Grammy Award-winning and Academy Award-nominated songwriters Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell and performed by the fictional boy band 4*Town (Jordan Fisher, Finneas, Topher Ngo Grayson Villanueva & Josh Levi). The soundtrack will be released digitally and physically on March 11 and is now available for pre-order here. Visit Amazon to order the CD version. A first song (Nobody Like U) is already available to stream/download now. Also check out the companion lyric vide after the jump. Turning Red is directed by Domee Shi and features the voices of Rosalie Chiang and Sandra Oh. The movie follows a confident, dorky 13-year-old torn between staying her mother’s dutiful daughter and the chaos of adolescence. The film will premiere on March 11 on Disney+.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Nobody Like U – 4*TOWN (2:40)
2. 1 True Love – 4*TOWN (3:19)
3. U Know What’s Up – 4*TOWN (3:08)
4. Family (0:40)
5. Turning Red (2:10)
6. Meilin Lee (0:58)
7. Temple Duties (1:13)
8. Jin’s Family Dinner (0:56)
9. Drawing Love (2:15)
10. Never Again Dream (1:34)
11. Turning Panda (2:16)
12. Panda-monium (2:34)
13. Ancestors (4:39)
14. Inconvenient Genetics (3:35)
15. U Know What’s Up (The Panda Hustle Version) – 4*TOWN (2:49)
16. Tyler’s Deal (2:19)
17. The Aunties (0:37)
18. Grandma’s Warning (1:31)
19. Keeping The Panda (5:14)
20. Dad Talk (2:28)
21. Red Moon Ritual (3:19)
22. I’m Keeping It (1:42)
23. Making It Right (1:59)
24. Unleashing The Panda (2:06)
25. Stadium Ritual (2:00)
26. Pandas Unite / Nobody Like U (Reprise) – Ludwig Göransson & 4*TOWN (3:05)
27. The Real Ming (1:59)
28. No Going Back (3:13)
29. Let Your Inner Panda Out (1:30)
30. Nobody Like U (Instrumental) – Finneas O’Connell (2:40)
31. 1 True Love (Instrumental) – Finneas O’Connell (3:19)
32. U Know What’s Up (Instrumental) – Finneas O’Connell (3:08)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/25/turning-red-soundtrack-album-details/

And it's already out if it's Friday where you are

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/turning-red-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1610789900

Only one of the songs is released.

The rest is coming next week.

But it's nice to see that Goransson's score is getting a good runtime.

I'll be curious if Goransson had anything to do with the songs. He's a very strong producer and it would be cool if he also worked on the songs

A review of the movie from media outlet CinemaBlend was pulled out of the internet today because the reviewer said the movie will only appeal to a small group of Chinese-American teen girls. 

Here's what he said:

“Throughout ‘Turning Red,’ Domee Shi and her co-screenwriter Julia Cho pepper in jokes and references that will speak directly to teenage girls, be it their bonds over sappy pop songs, or their heated lust for older teen dudes,” O’Connell’s since-deleted review said. “Without question, ‘Turning Red’ is the horniest movie in Pixar history, which parents no doubt will find surprising. I recognized the humor in the film, but connected with none of it. By rooting ‘Turning Red’ very specifically in the Asian community of Toronto, the film legitimately feels like it was made for Domee Shi’s friends and immediate family members. Which is fine… but also, a tad limiting in its scope.”

In a since-deleted tweet sharing the review, O’Connell wrote, “Some Pixar films are made for universal audiences. ‘Turning Red’ is not. The target audience for this one feels very specific and very narrow. If you are in it, this might work very well for you. I am not in it. This was exhausting.”

The cast and crew of the movie of course became outraged. Their responses can be seen here:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/turning-red-cast-speaks-out-cinemablend-review-1234706371/

It was a poor and unprofessional "review" if those segments quoted above are any indication.

But it was still an opinion. If this media outlet cannot defend its editorial staff's views, maybe it shouldn't bother publishing reviews in the first place.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I find it horrific that the review had to be censored. 

You are allowed to dislike things I thought?

Indeed. It's unfortunate that Twitter doesn't see this way though. To become outraged with a negative review of a Disney kids movie is rather pathetic.

Just finnished to listen to Göransson's score and it's pretty nice, certainly not one of its best but a really decent one rooting back to his earlier years I think. Waiting to see how it works within the movie

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Indeed. It's unfortunate that Twitter doesn't see this way though. To become outraged with a negative review of a Disney kids movie is rather pathetic.

Sure. But it was a pathetic "critique" though...

39 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Just finnished to listen to Göransson's score and it's pretty nice, certainly not one of its best but a really decent one rooting back to his earlier years I think. Waiting to see how it works within the movie

Early Göransson was the best Göransson!

Just got done listening to all the samples on iTunes NZ (takes a while when most are 90 seconds long) and yup - this is a fun score!

The songs were not my cup of tea, but the score was nice - I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album tomorrow!