"A Gathering of Friends" Williams / Yo Yo Ma album with Pablo Sainz-Villegas & Jessica Zhou

jocores

No, serious. I think, @Sergeant is right. The video is more about doing something together, like a trio for cello, guitar and conductor.

But nevertheless, I am with @Jurassic Shark, I would have found it better to just let the two musicians do it on their own.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wasn't it on the podium as one of the encores for Vienna 2.0, but never got performed?

I half expected it as an encore, and apparently it was kept ready, but they didn't play it on either day.

I've never been a big fan of it on the OST (or anything on that album, to be honest), but I've come to really like it in the ASM version. Not sure if I want to watch this new video or wait for the album to hear it first.

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never been a big fan of it on the OST (or anything on that album, to be honest), but I've come to really like it in the ASM version. Not sure if I want to watch this new video or wait for the album to hear it first.

Whichever you decide, you won't be disappointed.

It takes the minimalist approach of other tracks from the Munich OST (such as Bonding) and condenses the emotional theme to its core. The low, grumbling bass Ma extracts from the cello is superb, and both performers are in perfect sync throughout. The recording itself (even for a lossy YouTube video) is impressively sharp and detailed.

Be sure to watch the video, if only to see JW's reactions to the performance. At one point he seems to stop conducting and lets both musicians perform together in harmony. Magnificent stuff.

To be a fly on the wall for every recording session as intimate as this!

Very interesting that this seems to be based on one of the cues that just scores the crew eating together or something, not on the aching main setting. Fits the title better I guess!

10 hours ago, Holko said:

Very interesting that this seems to be based on one of the cues that just scores the crew eating together or something, not on the aching main setting. Fits the title better I guess!

Yes, I think once I realized this, I enjoyed the new version more. It is a more intimate presentation of the theme.

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

The natural consequence of interrupting Williams's "they're all dead" story.

Or he is forcing his two friends to laugh in response to this hackneyed joke.

Do we know which hall or studio this was recorded in? (more specifically than that it was in New York)

Don't know if this was already posted, but on JPC you can hear snippets of all tracks from the album (bitrate seems to be pretty horrible, but still). 'With Malice Toward None' is always so beautiful.

I also look forward hearing the cello concerto, never heard that one before. Only one week to go...

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/a-gathering-of-friends/hnum/10888357?lang=en

Wow, from the clip this sounds like it might be the best version of "With Malice Toward None" yet... 

29 minutes ago, Will said:

Wow, from the clip this sounds like it might be the best version of "With Malice Toward None" yet... 

I like that clip a lot too. Sounds gorgeous. The new Ghetto theme from SL sounds quite different than the original. Very curious about that one.

"I prefer the baton over this iluminated stick or pole which Obi-Wan tossed at Anakin so efficiently in one of the Star Wars Episodes."

6B1A8188-370E-41D5-BE9D-6D65AB6C1EAE.thumb.jpeg.ef169b13f4d1e3febd56dcbe446cae36.jpeg.jpg