"A Gathering of Friends" Williams / Yo Yo Ma album with Pablo Sainz-Villegas & Jessica Zhou

jocores

Music for cello and guitar?

I hope they'll not arrange pieces like Star Wars and E.T... but more recent works... and not necessarily from movies...

I may not say I'm a big fan of JW's classical works... This is nothing against JW's own style, but I'm not a fan of any other modern classical composers... So it's simply a genre I don't like. But I make an exception for JW, of course, as I always try to listen his new compositions.

It's not the kind of music that excites me, nor relax me, nor make me feel any sort of emotion, and it's just too intense "to escape". 

I understand his compositions must be trilling for professionnal players to play, but as an old clarinet player at school, who can read music, but does'nt remember any evolved musical theory, they don't give me any pleasure... Listening to this kind of musical compositions ask me an effort, like if I was watching a black and white polish movie about WWII, with subtitles.

I would love a new recording of the current version of the cello concerto.  Maybe a new concerto-type piece?  Maybe Highwood's Ghost, as it heavily featured the cello.

10 hours ago, jocores said:

Pablo Sáinz Villegas, the spanish guitarrist who premiered 10 years ago Rounds, has just revealed in an interview for the spanish newspaper El Pais that he received a letter from John Williams inviting him for a collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma and him for a new album they are recording with the New York Philharmonic.

https://elpais.com/cultura/2021-09-24/pablo-sainz-villegas-me-escribo-con-john-williams-por-correo-postal.html

Sweet!

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yo da man

i still cringe at that tag from attack of the clones

The worst part (and by worst I mean best) was when they put a hat on a hat and added on "Yoda da man", the announcer sounds so confused when he tries that at the end

This is amazing news... Just thinking out loud because I assume no one knows yet.

This could be:

1) A piece or pieces to be included on the Anne-Sophie Mutter recording of the second violin concerto that includes some film music pieces.

Or 

2) A seperate album, which means Williams will be recording two quite soon!

I'm hoping for 2! And I wonder if Williams will return to his Angela's Ashes suite for orcheatra and cello. It was reportedly recorded way back when the fisrt Yo-Yo Ma/Williams album was recorded, but alas, it's never been released. 

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what pieces the guitar is featured on. 

I could be wrong, but maybe he already recorded it. The JoeAnn Kane insta page posted some pictures of a "film music" recording that didn't mention him, but you can see JW in the background in a couple of pictures.

15 hours ago, pete said:

This is amazing news... Just thinking out loud because I assume no one knows yet.

This could be:

1) A piece or pieces to be included on the Anne-Sophie Mutter recording of the second violin concerto that includes some film music pieces.

Or 

2) A seperate album, which means Williams will be recording two quite soon!

I'm hoping for 2! And I wonder if Williams will return to his Angela's Ashes suite for orcheatra and cello. It was reportedly recorded way back when the fisrt Yo-Yo Ma/Williams album was recorded, but alas, it's never been released. 

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what pieces the guitar is featured on. 

Since it seems the recording took place in New York, that would probably mean that it's 2 separate albums as I think ASM mentioned that the recording of VC no.2 would be taking place in Boston, unless I'm mistaken

Can anyone get a hi-res zoom of those pictures so we can read the titles on the sheet music?

EDIT: Now that I look very closely, the third pic from the top, with the cello laying on its side, the music clearly has a four-word title, and I'm wondering if it's "With Malice Toward None."  The cello is set up as a soloist, at the front of the orchestra...

In addition, the fourth pic down from the top (with the music showing through the harp) shows a piece with a long title and four movements, the last three having one-word titles.  I'm thinking:

"Concerto for Cello and Orchestra"

1. Theme and Cadenza

2. Blues

3. Scherzo

4. Song

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

Can anyone get a hi-res zoom of those pictures so we can read the titles on the sheet music?

EDIT: Now that I look very closely, the third pic from the top, with the cello laying on its side, the music clearly has a four-word title, and I'm wondering if it's "With Malice Toward None."  The cello is set up as a soloist, at the front of the orchestra...

In addition, the fourth pic down from the top (with the music showing through the harp) shows a piece with a long title and four movements, the last three having one-word titles.  I'm thinking:

"Concerto for Cello and Orchestra"

1. Theme and Cadenza

2. Blues

3. Scherzo

4. Song

I would love for this to be true, though if so, 50 bucks says he has revised it again.  Getting this piece right for him is like his white whale.  

Also, dang it!  When I opened the thread I thought we were finally getting the Ma/Williams album we deserve, chock full of film music suites for cello.  Ma did this with Morricone decades ago, but Williams' film music remains tragically under-recorded on my favorite instrument. 

Also, Ma already recorded the concerto!  Revised or not, don't let Yo-Yo's penchant for yo-yoing back to previously tackled pieces distract you, Maestro!  We need "Love Theme from The Terminal for Cello and Orchestra"!

Maybe we'll get a couple of bonus arrangements on the back half?

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I cannot believe how busy this man is keeping! Almost like he's making up for lost time during the pandemic.

Well, he writes about two minutes a day, and the pandemic has lasted close to 600 days. That's many albums...

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Also, dang it!  When I opened the thread I thought we were finally getting the Ma/Williams album we deserve, chock full of film music suites for cello.  Ma did this with Morricone decades ago, but Williams' film music remains tragically under-recorded on my favorite instrument. 

Yes, but we do have the Memoirs suite, which is a full half hour of satisfying goodness.  

On 25/09/2021 at 2:08 PM, Bespin said:

Music for cello and guitar?

I hope they'll not arrange pieces like...E.T.

I think that E.T. And Me (or whatever the pedants are calling it, these days) would sound great, for solo cello.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I cannot believe how busy this man is keeping! Almost like he's making up for lost time during the pandemic.

We really are so lucky to have him.

Hard to believe that, a little over 12 months from now, we will even have two new film scores from him.

Fixed.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think what we need the most now is a bluegrass album of JW's music.

Do we know a good banjo player?

Just get the Goat Rodeo ensemble to join! Yo Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, a few others... the G.O.A.T. joins the Goat Rodeo!

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Hard to believe that, a little over 12 months from now, we might even have two new film scores from him.

One year from now we'll be discussing the cues that Williams left off the Indy 5 OST, and getting ready for The Fablemans!

Spielberg will be done shooting The Fabelmans before Mangold is done shooting Indy 5, so Fabelmans might release before Indy 5

That may happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. I have the feeling that Spielberg and the studio will release The Fabelmans closer to the end of the year, right at the beginning of the awards season. 

On the other hand, maybe he'll want to premiere The Fabelmans on the Cannes Film Festival, which will happen in May. 

In any case, I doubt we'll be listening to its score before September at least.

Had the Indy shooting not been delayed, I would have been confident in two scores by Williams.  However, that fact that Indy is going to be a race to the finish line worries me.  I would suppose that Williams needs to have something substantial from either movie to score from Oct to Feb to make both happen.  

Since we are in the wrong thread for this, I'll tie it together this way: maybe the Fablemans will be a guitar heavy score that this guy will be doing it.  

• 4 months later...

Do we have any update on what else is coming on this album? Besides the Cello Concerto can we expect Film Music themes as well? If so do we have a definite idea on  what selections we can expect and an indicative release date? It could be a colloboration much like Anne Sophi-Mutter albums and probably a start for a concert tie in . I wonder...

2 hours ago, Amer said:

Do we have any update on what else is coming on this album?

No

2 hours ago, Amer said:

Besides the Cello Concerto can we expect Film Music themes as well?

We don't know

2 hours ago, Amer said:

If so do we have a definite idea on  what selections we can expect and an indicative release date?

No