Which John Williams pieces are best for triggering ASMR?

Josh500

I assume most people know what ASMR means... if not, just look it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMR

Anyway, which JW pieces serves best for triggering ASMR, pieces that can be listened to while in the process of falling asleep at night? Some pieces are more suited than others obviously.

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't get this ASMR thing. It does absolutely nothing for me, just mildly irritating.

unintentional ASMR is way better.  maybe you've accidentally experienced it.  the whole 'artificial ASMR' can be really cringe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 27/09/2021 at 3:38 PM, Josh500 said:

I assume most people know what ASMR means... if not, just look it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMR

Anyway, which JW pieces serves best for triggering ASMR, pieces that can be listened to while in the process of falling asleep at night? Some pieces are more suited than others obviously.

ASMR = Anne-Sophie Mutter by Ross

I'm fuzzy on the whole ASMR thing, and what exactly "tingles" are, but maybe Williams' use of pizzicato could trigger some?

On 02/11/2023 at 5:37 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

If Josh wants to fall asleep I suggest Lorne Balfe.

To be fair being sleep inducing doesn't necessarily mean it's bad music; I've sometimes thrown on Sorcerer's Stone when I've had bad insomnia - and that's one of my favorite scores. It's just peaceful and calming 

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

To be fair being sleep inducing doesn't necessarily mean it's bad music; I've sometimes thrown on Sorcerer's Stone when I've had bad insomnia - and that's one of my favorite scores. It's just peaceful and calming 

I find bad music usually has the opposite effect of making me fall asleep.

Music's no good for falling asleep for me - I have rain sounds playing basically all the time.

Visually, I sometimes leave BBC news playing on one of my monitors overnight - they're usually doing re-runs of studio shows during the night so it's not too bright or distracting.

If we're talking about music that gives you the 'shivers', the latter half of Journey to the Island probably tops my list.

I know I'm breaking rules but here's not only a non-Williams piece, but most would consider technically an RCP piece.

But I think it's beautiful and never fails to lift me up as much as The Dinosaurs does, particularly from this bit: