The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

Great poster, maybe I'll try it just to say I've tried.

Do you think it's important to have finished the second season of Mandalorian to watch it, or can I spare myself with that?

Just now, May the Force be with You said:

Do you think it's important to have finished the second season of Mandalorian to watch it, or can I spare myself with that?

Boba Fett appears on S02E06 of Mandalorian and it's pretty important for the final episodes, so yeah, I'd say it's important.

1 minute ago, May the Force be with You said:

I would say watching the second season of The Mandalorian is essential to see before watching this.

Doesn't sound to hard but that's still a bit reassuring.

I don't know why but the begin of the season was quite boring, it's full of weird and easy senaristic choice and a real lack of consistent plot. I was feeling like if Favreau and Filoni were preparing Asokha and The Book of Boba instead of focusing themselves with this season

Just now, May the Force be with You said:

I was feeling like if Favreau and Filoni were preparing Asokha and The Book of Boba instead of focusing themselves with this season

Basically true, but then it all gets batter at the end.  Bill Burr coming back in ep 7 is especially rejuvenating

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

They are the three best episodes of the season IIRC

Weeeelllllll, the last 2 are the 2 best. Score's top tier too, last ep especially.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Weeeelllllll, the last 2 are the 2 best. Score's top tier too, last ep especially.

I really like the scores to all 16 episodes a lot.  Never really liked ranking them against each other cause there's something cool in every one

It's definitely a big bummer so much of season 2 had to be tracked instead of fully composed though.  Stupid covid

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's definitely a big bummer so much of season 2 had to be tracked instead of fully composed though.  Stupid covid

I'm a lot more bummed about a ton of fantastic new music like the increasingly dramatic episode intro main themes and all of the kickass action in Ch15 still being unreleased even with a smaller volume of stuff to put out.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the season 2 score wasn't quite up to the (high) level of season 1.  I have high hopes for BoBF and Mando S3 though.

I agree with Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'm a lot more bummed about a ton of fantastic new music like the increasingly dramatic episode intro main themes and all of the kickass action in Ch17 still being unreleased even with a smaller volume of stuff to put out.

Yea the Season 2 OST albums are annoying and I would have preferred 8 mini albums instead

I’m fine with the longer releases because it ended up being much cheaper than 8 mini releases, but there’s no space limitation!  Put it all on there!  The Bad Batch albums were especially long IIRC.

BoBF is probably the least interesting forthcoming Star Wars thing to me, but I’m still an easy mark, so I’m sure I’ll like it.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

BoBF is probably the least interesting forthcoming Star Wars thing to me, but I’m still an easy mark, so I’m sure I’ll like it.

There the Patty Jenkins film and Star Wars a Droid Story so perhaps you want to change your mind about it :lol:

3 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

There the Patty Jenkins film and Star Wars a Droid Story so perhaps you want to change your mind about it :lol:

Admittedly I haven’t watched WW84 yet, but I really like all of Jenkins’ other stuff!  And Top Gun with rebel pilots sounds off the hook.

Don’t know much about Droid Story yet, of course, but it doesn’t take much for me to be more excited for something than “Boba Fett” - especially when Mando scratches that itch in a more interesting way than anything I can picture with the Boba character proper.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's definitely a big bummer so much of season 2 had to be tracked instead of fully composed though.

To be honest, this is something of a misconception. The ratio of new to old is not at all close to what might have been expected, and in this case the term "tracked music" is a bit of a misnomer. There are only four or five cues dropped straight into the episodes; all other instances are heavily altered or weaved into new music. In fact, if I recall correctly there's only one instance of tracking in the entire second half of the season (Chapter 5's Warm or Cold, the bulk of which was coincidentally unused in the intended episode, opens Chapter 16).

Altogether these occurrences don't amount too much in light of my estimation of the unreleased music for Season 2, which rounded out at approximately 80 minutes of new material, and a solid hour of album-worthy highlights should they have seen fit to release anything more. 

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I'm a lot more bummed about a ton of fantastic new music like the increasingly dramatic episode intro main themes and all of the kickass action in Ch15 still being unreleased even with a smaller volume of stuff to put out.

Basically this! Updates to the blog have stalled as of late, but a breakdown of every episode's score, released or not, is something I hope to make available in the next few months for ease of reference. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, speaking generally I'd say the season 2 score wasn't quite up to the (high) level of season 1.  I have high hopes for BoBF and Mando S3 though.

I can't say I disagree with you, and it's obviously not a dig by any means. If anything it's more a testament to just how excellent Season 1 was, because I still feel Season 2's score exceeded my expectations. I recall being very concerned that the pandemic restrictions would spell disaster, but in the end we got plenty of great music and perhaps the single best-scored episode in the show (not to mention some of the finest work of Goransson's career) in Chapter 16. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea the Season 2 OST albums are annoying and I would have preferred 8 mini albums instead.

Agreed, I certainly don't think the two albums do the score many favours. I have a playlist of highlights from both volumes, but my preferred presentation would certainly look a lot different had the release model been consistent with Season 1. I don't take any issue with the individual album edits though: The Marshal's Tale, for example, is an excellent combination of cues.

Again, I may be grasping for hope here, but I feel like there's still a chance that BoBF could get mini-albums, or at least longer volumes, if only because it's a whole new show with lots of opportunity for starting fresh musically, in a sense. 

I've only seen each episode of the show once and have no clue about any music that exists in the show but not on album.

But with Season 1 I really enjoy all 8 albums, each is a nice listen on its own, or if you play all 8 like one long super album, it works great too.

For season 1, the Volume 1 release doesn't work on its own.  The album begins great, has a nice build up..... then just stops.  However, if you play Vol 1 and Vol 2 back to back as one long album, then it's great, it works as a wonderful highlight collection for a season of a show.

But it'd be great if there were albums for each 8 episode instead.  Taking the tracks on the current Vol 1 and Vol 2 sets and splitting them into 8 albums doesn't work, because you don't have 8 different beginning->middle->ends that way, due to the highlights they chose for some episodes for the Volume sets.  Like most pre-main title->main title cues are missing for example. 

Oh well.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I pretty much like the whole season, although the Ahsoka episode remains the weakest entry for me.  Episode 2 ("The Passenger") is especially unfrogettable.

Frog Lady is what Ahsoka should have been

• 1 month later...

From the trailer, the show looks like everything I hoped and more.  Can't wait for the series and the score.

Obviously the trailer music is trailer music and not worth discussing.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Obviously the trailer music is trailer music and not worth discussing.

But in The Mandalorian the score turned out to be of the same kind.

Therefore, I expect the same kind of music here as well.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Therefore, I expect the same kind of music here as well.

Obviously I disagree that Goransson's score sounds like trailer music.

14 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Lol

Where's the lie? ;) 

First episode hits D+ on December 29th.

On 29/09/2021 at 1:41 PM, Jay said:

episode 1 drops December 29th

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Ah yes, a reprise of an organic bass recorder theme, punctuated by snare hits and accompanied by flute, followed by a longlined melody, first on horns with clarinet counterpoint, then on clarinet with brass counterpoint, all the while playing over warm string harmonies before blooming into an emotional B section, accentuated with tasteful retro synths. And that's in the first half...

Alas, just another day for the trailer house crowd! 

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Weak trailer and way too much monsters. Feels like ROTJ all over again.

It needs to. The titular character is picking up the pieces of Jabba Desilijic Tiure left scattered over the Pit of Carkoon, and moving those pieces' story forward. 

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Ah yes, a reprise of an organic bass recorder theme, punctuated by snare hits and accompanied by flute, followed by a longlined melody, first on horns with clarinet counterpoint, then on clarinet with brass counterpoint, all the while playing over warm string harmonies before blooming into an emotional B section, accentuated with tasteful retro synths. And that's in the first half...

Alas, just another day for the trailer house crowd! 

Is that piece of music supposed to sound like Star Wars or excite me in any way? 

:sleep1:

7a082c97e70bafe2b6f75af41445cedf.jpg

Agree. I would just have to manage to lower my expectations to a degree, that let's me actually like any garbage with a Star Wars label on it. 

But I see it differently. I am not failing to like the score. The score fails to satisfy me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...