The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

I hope the show is good but I'm more excited for the score I think

I hope it gets weekly releases instead of the two-volume approach, but I doubt it will 

I can't wait for the score too.  I have a feeling that it will be even farther afield from the "traditional" Star Wars sound than Mando, which won't please the ones who dislike Mando for not being Williamsy enough.

Some of the action in the Mos Espa streets - particularly the parkour stuff was so bad. 

I liked the flashbacks to Boba's past, I hope we can explore some of those moments more, maybe some more kamino?

The action was very Robert Rodriguez, and I’m guessing if you didn’t like the action style of his episode of The Mandalorian, you’ll dislike this one equally.  I thought the fight showed off the Fennic character really well, and I’m in favor of anything that makes the character of Boba Fett look like he’s not a badass tbh.  Making up for decades of fanboy worship here.

I loved the B-movie monster at the end - terrific!

Also thought the scene with the mayor’s majordomo was very funny.  

Assuming the whole season will have the framing/flashback narrative running through it of what brought Boba to the point we saw him in Mando - leaving with the respect of Tuskens, finding/reviving Fennic, probably tracking the armor to Timothy Oliphant’s Mando character, etc

Great first episode. Love the fact that they're revisiting locations of the films, and events. My guess it's primarily Filoni pulling the strings on that, not Favreau.

Loved loved the first episode. Even without baby yoda I’d say that this has the potential to be even better than Mandalorian (mainly because of its structure). Very intrigued to where the story might go.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I loved the B-movie monster at the end - terrific!

That looked almost exactly like Poseidon's Ray Harryhausen sea monster from 1981's Clash of the Titans. Wouldn't surprise me, If this was contiously adapted, for whatever reason.

I'm curious about seeing Hutts... and how they fight. That could be fun.

But, I still have no intention to suscribe to Disney+ again.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Great first episode. Love the fact that they're revisiting locations of the films, and events. My guess it's primarily Filoni pulling the strings on that, not Favreau.

I also loved the episode.

Favreau wrote this episode. So I do think it was mostly him

You could hear them slithering just offscreen 

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Also thought the scene with the mayor’s majordomo was very funny.  

Just found out that this was David Pasquesi, who is probably best known as Selena’s sleazy ex-husband on Veep, but of course we all know him as Stew the Meat Man from Strangers With Candy.  Waiting with bated breath for him and Amy Sedaris’s character to meat up.

Agree it was an enjoyable first episode - the music was quite well spotlighted on occasions too. Can't say I noticed anything that sounded like Solo, but maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough. The updated Cantina Band was a cute nod to the original film. Funny that Ennio Morricone once made some fairly scathing remarks about JW's approach to the original Star Wars movies and now we have these spin off scores which a fairly Morricone inspired at times. I'm not sure that's what Ennio meant!

(Minor spoilers) Typically fine production values; the CGI beast near the end looked like something Ray Harryhausen would have conjured up; not sure it quite fitted with the Star Wars universe somehow. It also seemed quite a lot bigger from its claws/arms compared to the full size, but that could just be me.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's actually very easy:

Robert -> Bob

William -> Bill

Richard -> Dick (😂)

And last but not least:

Jason -> Jay

Actually, his name was always written wrongly... It's Robert A. Fett which became Bob A. Fett but due to a typo, is now Boba Fett. I hope that clears it up for everyone.

But are the rough edges things we’ve seen in the movies, or something we’re gleaning from decades of ancillary materials most of which are not canon?  The character of Fett is so slight in the three movies he’s in that pretty much any development is from forty years of headcanon and a bunch of non-canon books.  Onscreen we have “sad about dad,” “guy who likes to disintegrate and wins the Han Solo bounty,” and “guy who accidentally flies into a pit.”

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

But are the rough edges things we’ve seen in the movies, or something we’re gleaning from decades of ancillary materials most of which are not canon?  The character of Fett is so slight in the three movies he’s in that pretty much any development is from forty years of headcanon and a bunch of non-canon books.  Onscreen we have “sad about dad,” “guy who likes to disintegrate and wins the Han Solo bounty,” and “guy who accidentally flies into a pit.”

Even from his limited characterisation in the movies I get zero sense of altruism, and considering how his father acted, that is reinforced even more to me. Taking TCW into account adds yet even more fuel to the fire.

More importantly, it’s an opportunity to have a protagonist that isn’t a goodie two shoes for a change. Boba Fett is set up as an antagonist in the films so it can come across as jarring (and harder to believe as the same character) if you make him too sympathetic. I’m fine with playing up the Mandalorian culture side of him, in fact I encourage it because that gave him some much needed depth and motivation in the EU, but don’t throw away the appealing parts of the original character please.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m shocked, SHOCKED that you have nitpicks

Please do tell me how what I’ve pointed out is a nitpick and not something important to the fabric of the show or something that could make or break the believability of an action scene.

Thinking about it a bit, I think the biggest problem this show is going to face is distinguishing itself from The Mandalorian. It's not the only way, but I think the angle of making Boba Fett claw his way to the top of the crime-world with any methods necessary (this time, yes disintegrations) would've been an effective way to do that. Right now he risks crossing too far over into Din Djarin's territory as a character, so you really need to push him in a very different direction to avoid that. It also gives some much needed flavor to this show, I'm starting to worry that all the future Star Wars TV shows are going to feel very same-y, but in this case it's more likely because you've got a near identical creative team to Mando.

The soundtrack works well enough, but especially after Star Wars Visions I'm starting to miss composers taking a crack at a more traditional sound. There's quite a few Japanese composers in that line-up that I would absolutely love to work on more Star Wars projects.

8 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agree it was an enjoyable first episode - the music was quite well spotlighted on occasions too. Can't say I noticed anything that sounded like Solo, but maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough. The updated Cantina Band was a cute nod to the original film. Funny that Ennio Morricone once made some fairly scathing remarks about JW's approach to the original Star Wars movies and now we have these spin off scores which a fairly Morricone inspired at times. I'm not sure that's what Ennio meant!

(Minor spoilers) Typically fine production values; the CGI beast near the end looked like something Ray Harryhausen would have conjured up; not sure it quite fitted with the Star Wars universe somehow. It also seemed quite a lot bigger from its claws/arms compared to the full size, but that could just be me.

Thought the same! It reminded me of the Kraken from the 1981 “Clash of the Titans”

Cool to see Star Wars embracing its goofy B-movie serial inspirations.

They sure packed a ton in those 25 minutes. But it always feels over too fast. But it adds to the charm of the show I suppose.
“Tune in next week…”

I mean, if you accept that these shows so far, Mando and Boba, are just pure fan service and the simple plot is just a vehicle to trigger the various nostalgia button in fans of the original, it is fine and particularly fun.

I really hope, that the Obi Wan series is going to be a little different and will come up with interesting additional story lines.

33 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I really hope, that the Obi Wan series is going to be a little different and will come up with interesting additional story lines.

I do think Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Endor & the other series will be more like that.

I almost feel like Mando & Boba are kind of 'safe' to get people on Star Wars'  side again. Now with the future shows they can take more risks.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, if you accept that these shows so far, Mando and Boba, are just pure fan service and the simple plot is just a vehicle to trigger the various nostalgia button in fans of the original, it is fine and particularly fun.

That’s really not fine to me, because so far that’s mostly what the Star Wars media offering has been. Hell, it has been a large chunk of blockbusters lately, it has really ceased to be fun to me and just become awfully rote. Mandalorian got huge praise despite this which I suspect has only communicated to Lucasfilm ‘more of exactly this please’ when really Star Wars is in desperate need of new creative visions (for the love of God more Visions please). It’s also in desperate need of better writing, so I don’t like seeing that complacency communicated because now there’s little business incentive to try to achieve that.

That’s being somewhat achieved in publication right now, the High Republic era is pretty solid and I look forward to seeing live action content from it, but the TV/movies are sorely lacking in comparison

As for Obi Wan being distinct? I wouldn’t hold my breath, and I’m not looking to get into a cycle of ‘maybe the next one will be different’ until a series can actually show that 

Meh, thought that was pretty mediocre.

And it felt noticeably cheap in a way I never felt with Mando. At no stage did I believe anyone was standing in a real location or a real desert; it all felt like exactly what it was, a bunch of actors in LA surrounded by a fake digital set. Something about the staging was really artificial, almost prequel-esque (where actors couldn't walk more than a few meters in any direction, lest they move too far from the green screen). The parkour chase scene through Mos Espa (or wherever) looked particularly cheap.

I really hope Obi-Wan doesn't look like this. Star Wars isn't meant to look pristine, glossy and clean!

Temuera Morrison is not the youngest anymore and he does not really have the slim body shape of episode 6 Boba Fett and He has to wear an uncomfortable armour. No wonder the fights do not really look very fancy. 

Like already his Mando episode Rodriguez' this one has some kind of amateurish fan film charm. The score pays into that.

Bad!

First episode is total cringe. Bad script, bad acting and bad effects. Bad, bad, bad all around.

I’ve seen fan films that held my attention better than this (I actually managed to fall asleep despite watching it in the middle of the day and being a huge OT and Mandalorian fan).

I won’t be breaking my neck to catch any further episodes.

The flashback stuff was definitely the strongest part of the episode, but I'm certainly interested enough by the "present" storyline in Mos Espa to keep watching.  Also, I loved the design of the monster that comes out of the sand.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are we supposed to know why he's the new crimelord of Mos Espa, or is that something the flashbacks will eventually end by showing us?

Bib Fortuna took over from Jabba, and Boba killed him and sat in his throne in the final scene of Mando S2.