The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

Woah, apparently Matt Berry (Laszlo from What We Do In the Shadows) was the voice of the robot introducing everyone? I didn't even recognize him!

I saw his name in the credits and went back to the beginning to find him. I did not pick up on it at first. 

Nor did I recognize Jennifer Beals, but whatever. 

So Favreau and Filoni Star Wars has now used Richard Ayoade and Matthew Berry of The IT Crowd fame. How excellent. 

I thought it was a cool touch that the AOTC flashbacks were newly created...or at least we haven't seen that angle or take of young Boba picking up Jango's helmet. I think the shots of Kamino are new too. 

Yeah those brief AOTC flashbacks were cool! They must have gone back to the original dailies and created new shots of young Boba in the arena. 

I'd love to see Kamino revisited, was always one of my favourite prequel planets. And I'm entirely over the desert planets, specifically Tattooine, Jawas and Tusken Raiders! 

To each their own!  I find TCW incredibly tedious and dull, even the most dramatic scenes seem to play out like the actors and animators were challenging themselves to tell a story with as little flair and interest as possible.

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To each their own!  I find TCW incredibly tedious and dull, even the most dramatic scenes seem to play out like the actors and animators were challenging themselves to tell a story with as little flair and interest as possible.

I sometimes wonder if my dislike of it is based on the limitations of television 3D animation.  But the writing sucks too, especially the "jokes" (like a terrible, malformed precursor to PrequelMemes)

It does start kind of clumsy, but the last 3 seasons have great material and less jokes. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Star Wars Lightsaber GIF by aiptcomics
that’s how much the flair is improved in the last seasons

TCW just isn’t for me, which is fine.  

Anyway, I’m no great fan of Robert Rodriguez but his episode of Mando last year was one of my favorites of that season and I honestly cannot see the supposed flaws that others do in his action directing.

It's not like I went into the episode knowing he directed it, or have any specific predujices against his work. 

I simply watched the show, and found the street ambush to be laughably executed. I'm surprised you've bothered to type multiple posts defending it. But to each their own of course. 

On 31/12/21 at 5:28 AM, Disco Stu said:

I really can't even imagine being bothered by the stuff I've seen everyone complaining about.  Certainly, relative to the truly bad dreck of like the animated shows or TROS.

Don’t worry, it’s possible to be capable of being disappointed in all three

The only thing I didn't like was: I don't know who this character is. From the trailers I was OK with Boba as a changed man. It was even consistent with who we saw in The Mandalorian. But I'm not getting why this seems to be an honorable and merciful man from the moment he claws his way out of the sarlac.

Now of course we're dealing with a character that we've only really seen for about 7 minutes as an adult. We know a little more about his father. We've also seen him as a child in Attack of the Clones and The Clone Wars. So the show runners may be saying "Hey, no matter what the fans think they know we actually have a blank slate." Which might be an interesting choice. Sure he worked for Jabba the Hutt. But so did Han Solo. (And if you don't throw in the Special Edition of Star Wars he doesn't "work" for Jabba the Hutt. He just got paid by him and is still hanging around.)

I have to say I haven't been a Boba Fett fan since I actually saw him in The Empire Strikes Back. But I loved every moment that he was in The Mandalorian. After 40 years I'm on the Fett train.

The season could end up being a cool arc showing how he gets from the TESB/ROTJ bounty hunter who fell in a sarlacc pit, to the old man who shows up in Mando S2.  Fully on board to see that journey and hope its good.

I'm less invested in the modern day part, where he takes over Jabba's old business and is just gonna live on Tatooine as a gangster?  They better find a way to make that interesting.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Well I still have faith that the season overall will be good.  Some shows just take more than 1 episode to set everything up.

You're absolutely right. For me it has more to do also with my impressions of the Mandalorian Maybe it ends being a great show... But I'm almost sure that it won't be a show that I enjoy.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I read somewhere that the series has quite a few suprises in store. The 1st episode was actually very slow burn for what's to come.

I'm sure those sources are all completely factual and none of them are astro turfed hype by SEO hungry clickbait websites. 

8 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm sure those sources are all completely factual and none of them are astro turfed hype by SEO hungry clickbait websites. 

Indeed they are😉😄

It was structurally confusing. Either commit to setting it right after ROTJ and focus entirely on the escape from the Sarlaac (and whatever happens next) or focus on the political stuff in Jabba's Palace with the crime lords and whoever.

It felt like half of two different episodes smashed together, but neither was particularly interesting in its own right.

Do you think originally it was focused on all the political stuff with Jabba in the palace, and they looked at the script and went, "well this is really dull." So they invented that side plot with the Tusken Raiders (zzzzz) to compensate?

Can't say I was on the edge of my seat watching the various aliens walking into Jabba's Throne Room offering "gifts" or whatever. That was incredibly dull.

Nah I think the idea all along was to show both his journey from Sarlacc to Mando S2, and also his journey post-Mando S2

I just didn't personally find the final execution of the start of these stories compelling in the first episode, but I never give up on any show after 1 episode.  I'm sure it'll grow on me

And the music was awesome!

To me, it felt like the the reasoning was that “Oh, Mando is a success, we have to more stuff like this.

And of course Boba is the obvious choice.

Then, no one had a clear artistic vision about what to do with the property - except “let’s make this” - and a couple ideas were thrown around.

And, as it is when there’s not one solid vision or one good idea (or goal), it gets confusing and you end up using a lot of ideas instead. There’s lack of solid ground making the whole thing feel wobbly and unfocused.

But, as said, Disney have the resources to make this great.

At the moment if I was on my deathbed I would rather ask to see the new Star Wars than the new Star Trek.

Before the show I had a pretty good guess that there would be flashbacks filling in the gaps between Jedi and Mando. It's a fairly ordinary story structure. Hell, it was Lost's week to week format.

BTW Boba blasting his way out of the sarlac was in literally the first Marvel comic set after Return of the Jedi in December of 1983. This wasn't a shocking turn of events. :)

On 04/01/2022 at 10:58 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Both of you got it wrong. Go big or go home.

Ask for Lucas's sequel trilogy story treatments. 

Quoted in a 2020 book by Paul Duncan called The Star Wars Archives: 1999-2005, George Lucas presented a summary of events for sequels to his original six Episodes:

- Luke Skywalker teamed up with dozens of previously-hidden Jedi to confront (Darth) Maul, his new apprentice, gangsters, and offshoot Stormtroopers.

- Leia eventually achieved galactic peace through her governmental work and became the (new) Chosen One.

Note that the very existence of these stories runs contrary to Lucas' blunt statement from 2005, "There is no Episode VII."

In a book called Star Wars: Fascinating Facts - published just six weeks before The Star Wars Archives: 1999-2005 - Pablo Hidalgo (the current head of the Lucasfilm Story Group) said that in 2012, George Lucas left the company sequel treatments that were very different that those described above.

In fact, Hidalgo said these Lucas treatments featured a young, female Jedi hopeful who eventually found a secluded Luke Skywalker. But the Jedi Master had withdrawn into despair... and died in Episode VIII.

The story of Boba joining the Tusken tribe is great, the “present” story continues to be only fine but still intriguing enough to keep me interested.  So yes, I enjoyed episode 2 a lot!

Huge mistake to make the hutts CG though.  Bad call.