The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

11 hours ago, Thor said:

By the way, does anyone have any say about that scene where a homestead is being pillaged and burned? Who's doing the pillaging and is it a reference to something, other than a mirroring of what happened to Luke's homestead in ANH, of course?

I believe those are the thugs he beats up in the bar.
He recognizes them in the night when he sees their speederbikes

The second episode is better but I give the series another episode until I feel my time is more precious...

I'm glad more people are aware of Dean Cundey but when I saw the credits I felt sad because the cinematography was underwhelming. I don't know if it has something to do with the use of CGI but many scenes felt cheap. The backgrounds seem too static and the light fake, I know is just the desert, but they might need some wind, motion blur when the camera is moving, etc 

But, anyway, my biggest problem with the show is the way they try to hook the fans including in Tosche station Camie and Laze, the reapear of Hutts... Seems that Star Wars is just a collection of winks for fans without making an effort in the story. Also, is curious how a 50 minutes episodes has 3 montages scenes: Boba learning to fight, the tuskens learning to ride the bikes and Boba making the stick. 

As @rough cutI couldn't avoid laughing at the "part of the tribe" dance at the end...

[Sorry for the rant!]

I’ve seen a handful of indigenous folx on social media saying good things about BOBF’s representation of indigenous peoples via the Tuskens, but also some hesitancy/expectancy that they’re gonna all get fridged as motivation for Fett down the road.

I love a good montage! I have long felt that most shows/movies attempting to tell a big story do not use montages often enough. I had no problem with this episode having three of them! 

I don't recall thinking there was ending weird or unusual about them dancing at the end

But I really don't put the amount of analysis into a Star Wars television show a lot of other people do

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Different tribes make different tents?

Yeah. That's probably the explanation. If it makes sense, since everything else from clothes to weapons and even pets is the same, that's another question.

That’s interesting that you feel that way Gerate, only because one of the “complaints” I saw from fans after the first episode was about why the Tuskens dressed different than previously established in canon (ie the black, the women and kids not wearing the garb established for them in AOTC, etc).

For my money, as has been throughout pretty much any Star Wars release after 1977 and as has been in any major nerdy fandom really, some fans are so deeply entrenched in their own idea of what Star Wars is that they’re not open to what Star Wars can be.  That’s their prerogative and people are allowed to like what they like, but what kind of life it is to be filled with so many gripes all the time I’ll never know!

17 hours ago, Thor said:

By the way, does anyone have any say about that scene where a homestead is being pillaged and burned? Who's doing the pillaging and is it a reference to something, other than a mirroring of what happened to Luke's homestead in ANH, of course?

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're supposed to know what that was all about yet.

It's the same group of Nikto raiders that Boba kills in Tosche station. I'm pretty sure they were just foreshadowing Boba's "meeting" with them, and by extent the speeder bikes they were using that Boba stole. I don't believe there's any more to it than that.

17 hours ago, Positivatee said:

But the scavengers did not appear to be the same group of sand flea people who operated the train. That would imply a lot of different independent groups operating on Tatooine in the absence of Jabba.

Yep they are not. The group on the train were the Pykes (also from Solo and TCW) who are in control of the spice mines on Kessel. They were just delivering spice probably to various criminals around the Tatooine.

I also didn't find the dance particularly funny. It was well in line with nomad tribes all around the world (I've actually danced with some myself, both in Tanzania and the Amazon jungle, and it was very much like this).

I've been watching ScreenCrush on Youtube for breakdowns of episodes / movies.  I didn't realize until after that the couple in the bar (Toshi Station) was Cammie and Fixer!

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I've been watching ScreenCrush on Youtube for breakdowns of episodes / movies.  I didn't realize until after that the couple in the bar (Toshi Station) was Cammie and Fixer!

19 hours ago, Jay said:

So apparently that couple sitting down in the pub or whatever are Camie and Fixer from the ANH deleted scene

Just to be clear, it is not the way the dance was performed that was funny to me, rather how it was handled, first just a few of them dancing and then more and more joined in, in what I can only call a “Kumbaya” moment. To me, it didn’t really come naturally in the edit/story.

It was too much for me.

I s also thought the montage where Boba learned to stick fight was shoddily handled. I love a good montage as much as the next guy, but I found this to be slow and unengaging.

Also, Boba’s faux sign language/simplified English felt dumb to a point I can not explain. “Me stop train” and then pointing his hand towards his head up palm. Sigh. Who was this for - both the sign language and the broken English? For the audience? Or for the Tuskens? If the latter, what part did they understand? His made up sign language? I guess so, because if not then why not just speak English all the time? And if they didn’t understand English, why speak in that broken English at all?

Cringe.

I don’t have much criticism from a Star Wars point of view, more about how it’s directed I guess.

But I’d welcome a speculation about how they first started to write a script for this.

- ”OK, so let’s do the Boba Fett series! Any ideas for a story?”

- ”Hell yeah, let’s have him doing bounty hunting across the universe, taking impossible bounties and having cool adventures on strange new planets, and perhaps we could create a story about a moral conundrum about bounty hunting, maybe have him hunt for something he doesn’t want to hunt…”

- ”Um, we already did that…

😂

1 minute ago, rough cut said:

- ”Hell yeah, let’s have him doing bounty hunting across the universe, taking impossible bounties and having cool adventures on strange new planets, and perhaps we could create a story about a moral conundrum about bounty hunting, maybe have him hunt for something he doesn’t want…”

That would be funnier than watching him re-enact Dances with Wolves with the Tuskens.

Well, I think you're overthinking things.

This isn't top tier television that is expected to have top notch writing and really well thought out execution of every idea

It's a throwback to old serials like the original movie was, or its like a live action version of those 90s cartoons that sold action videos.

It's popcorn entertainment, it's not prestige TV

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have a semi-intelligent script - even if the premise is dumb or unbelievable.

It would cost less than any CGI effects, right? And, as an added bonus, make the whole thing a whole lot more enjoyable.

I don’t mind them going bonkers with the cartoony stuff. For example, I enjoyed the two half-naked fat guys running around in green pig masks. That was on point! 😅

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I love a good montage! I have long felt that most shows/movies attempting to tell a big story do not use montages often enough. I had no problem with this episode having three of them! 

... But three? In the same episode? I like montages because usually the score can shine there (my favourite cue in The Mandalorian is the training in Episode 4 of Season 1) so maybe one of the problem is that the music didn't touch me...

Rotj 1983 and anh 1997: tiny hands and 3 small pointy fingers.

tpm 1999: big hands with 4 big fingers

anh 2004 and beyond: same as  TPM

TCW 2008: small hands with 4 small fingers

Book of Fett 2022: big hands with 3 pointy big fingers

more or less.

Its also funny how jabbas palace main door has returned to its original size after lucas’ enlargement in the blu ray edition

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

It would never have occured to me to look at their hands and count fingers

Some i had to look today to make the list mind you 😅

but it was very noticeable the change in TPM from rotj.

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I guess I haven’t seen (Lucas’ new version of) ROTJ since I owned it on DVD. That is just ridiculous!

Clip

That's a fanedit to (badly) make it even bigger as a joke. Here's the actual, still stupid change:

Oh! Haha! Whaddyaknow, turns out you can’t trust everything on the internet!

Untouched OT still looks the best, though.

But now I am kind of sad that George didn’t go all in as in the clip that I found.

7659C9A9-3688-413D-9646-79BCB385FB85.png

Would have obviously been the best of them all:

9AD6D8F1-17C4-4AB9-A800-4370A26967CE.jpeg

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

It also seemed particularly apt for Temuera Morrison, an actor of Māori descent.  If you know about the Māori or have seen enough Middle Earth documentaries, you’ll be familiar with their tradition of dance.

Exactly. In fact I couldn't help but feel that HE was leading THEM. 

How Hutts make sex? Will they show it?

I secretly watched the first two Episodes... ok, the actor (who makes a very fat Boba Fett BTW) is okay... but it remains another SW spinoff who lives, just because of a gimmick.

Baby Yoda is the gimmick of Mando, the Hutts is the gimmick of Fett and Vader will be the gimmick of Obi-Wan series...

That's always the same things with those SW spinoff...

How do you say it....

BANTA POODOO!!! :lol:

52 minutes ago, Bespin said:

How Hutts make sex? Will they show it?

I secretly watched the first two Episodes... ok, the actor (who makes a very fat Boba Fett BTW) is okay... but it remains another SW spinoff who lives, just because of a gimmick.

Baby Yoda is the gimmick of Mando, the Hutts is the gimmick of Fett and Vader will be the gimmick of Obi-Wan series...

That's always the same things with those SW spinoff...

How do you say it....

BANTA POODOO!!! :lol:

How could anyone in good consciousness look at the shirtless scene of Temuera Morrison in this and call him fat? Wtf

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Hutts self-reproduce in canon (not joking).

It’s quite funny because I think that came from George Lucas confirming they were asexual to avoid the horrible unspoken implications otherwise

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Are they hermaphrodite still in the new canon?

btw where is jabbas son? They could have used him as the one who wants to reclaim the throne….

No. That changed in 2014.

Rotta, Jabba's little son, is not seen again after the original theatrical Clone Wars film, but his evil uncle Ziro (Jabba's brother) is seen in four episodes. 

Behind the scenes

Ziro the Hutt first appeared in the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated film, voiced by prolific voice actor Corey Burton.[1] Burton went on to reprise the role in four more episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Although Ziro was the first Hutt to speak Galactic Basic Standard onscreen, this was not originally intended. Ziro was meant to speak Huttese into a microphone which would translate his speech into English, but this idea was dropped when the producers felt that younger audiences wouldn't understand what the translator was. Later, George Lucas stepped in and specifically asked for Ziro to sound like Truman Capote. Since the character was a favorite of the production team, they brought him back for further appearances in the subsequent The Clone Wars series.[2]

Following the release of The Clone Wars film, reviewers from some media outlets criticized Ziro as an anti-gay stereotype, with MTV News wondering whether that would make him the first gay alien in the Star Wars franchise. Interviewed by the network after the film premiered, Dave Filoni said that his continuity experts had told him that Ziro did not have a biological sex because he was a "slug;" therefore, Filoni framed the matter of Ziro's sexuality as "questionable" rather than answerable as straight or gay.[3] Other outlets disputed the framing of Ziro's traits as offensive stereotypes, with Gizmodo instead regarding the character as "pure weirdo campiness in a franchise known for being far too self-serious."[4]

As of 2014, Filoni's remarks on Hutt biology no longer apply to Ziro and other Hutts. The species has separate sexes in the new canon continuity, according to statements by Lucasfilm Story Group's Pablo Hidalgo at Celebration Anaheim, unlike Hutts in Legends.[5]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ziro_Desilijic_Tiure

4 hours ago, Positivatee said:

No. That changed in 2014.

Well, it wasn't changed per say. We just straight-up don't know at this point. I would imagine it still is though considering Jabba has a son yet we don't see Jabba having a "wife" or anything like that.