The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

In the last BOBF episode, we can see a male Jabba and a female Jabba, both of them are silblings. So I guess that if there's two different genders of Jabbas, so they can reproduce "normally".

25 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, it wasn't changed per say. We just straight-up don't know at this point. I would imagine it still is though considering Jabba has a son yet we don't see Jabba having a "wife" or anything like that.

Tell me you didn't read the source I cited without telling me you didn't read the source I cited. 

25 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Tell me you didn't read the source I cited without telling me you didn't read the source I cited. 

Lol I didn't read it because I assumed it had something to do with Ziro specifically.

31 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In the last BOBF episode, we can see a male Jabba and a female Jabba, both of them are silblings. So I guess that if there's two different genders of Jabbas, so they can reproduce "normally".

Legends had male/female hutts as well, which makes this even more strange. Jabba for example is clearly "male", and a "female" hutt does appear in TPM (Gardulla). Where Rotta came from is still a mystery I guess. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Where Rotta came from is still a mystery I guess. 🤷‍♂️

He locked the mother away in the palace? He hired someone to carry and birth him? Adoption?

So what are the odds that one of the Tuskens is actually Fennec Shand, who was also taken in as part of the tribe, and that is how they meet?

I don't really understand the masks the Tuskens wear; They are native to Tatooine, so would have evolved to not need technology to breathe, right? So is it a cultural thing?  If so, why didn't Boba get one when he got his robes?

It is Boba Fett who finds Fennec Shand, first 8 seconds in this video.  I don't remember which episode this was in Mando but it was an post-credit scene.

That does not necessarily have to be their first meeting though

wow, all his scenes in Mando total under 5 minutes? Who knew!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So what are the odds that one of the Tuskens is actually Fennec Shand, who was also taken in as part of the tribe, and that is how they meet?

Nah, that theory has been circulating around Reddit lately and it's quite dumb imo. It seemed clear to me they met when Boba was tracking Mando, and just so happened to run into her on the way. I don't see why Fennec would be disguised as a Tusken for no reason, even going so far as to making grunting noises, etc. Personally I'd much rather they just be some random tribe of sand people.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

They've made a bunch of character posters for the show.  The Wookiee dude looks great

Reveal hidden contents

The Wookie's brother was great in Doctor Who ;-)

image.png

Is it me or are the Hutts much more pointy headed than they used to be?

Quite enjoying Boba Fett although it does feel quite similar in tone to Mando. I mean, not surprising, but I rather expected it to be more different. Variably enjoying the music although I've been composing an epic version of JW's Boba Fett motif which I think could actually be developed surprisingly effectively. I'll have to write it down sometime (I mean, I won't, I'm far too lazy and orchestrating is hard).

The writing doesn't feel as cheesy as it does in The Mandalorian, and I'm really enjoying the pacing so far. I know this isn't the disenchantment thread, but the sequels, especially TROS, could've been infinitely better in the form of a show like this (not that that was ever going to happen though). I prefer shows over movies any day but it's refreshing to see things like the Tusken Raiders explored in depth rather than being one-dimensional killers and salvagers

That last episode has kind of made me give-up on the show completely. It's not like it was awful but I'm starting to see patterns forming and getting an idea of all the things that I really, really don't want to see in a TV show and I'm a bit tired of being jerked around by side missions (major deja vu here...)

It also doesn't really feel like Star Wars, sure it looks like it because it's cramming in iconic imagery almost every second (if the Wort that burps in the ROTJ Special Edition counts as iconic I guess), but it's severely lacking the style and tone of Star Wars. I'm not quite sure what style and tone it even has, it just feels very...empty. And it's frustrating because they're playing around with some great elements of the Star Wars universe but it's being done in a way that makes it feel like it was written by a simpleton. I actually can't fathom how clueless and dumb Boba Fett is and the ramping up of the sympathetic and vulnerable angle is making it even more off-putting, disrespectful even. It's like they extrapolated the one strategically poor choice he made in ROTJ that got him Sarlacc'd as a key trait of his character, and unless it's played for comedy it really does not work.

I'm getting annoyed at all the newfangled and ridiculous melee weapons they keep giving characters, especially in situations when they 100% should be using a gun. Looking at you Black Krssantan, I understand you're a gladiator but what the fuck kind of assassination attempt was that.

Well this was a real mixed bag. The chase was terrible, to hell with these Cyberpunk kids, why does Fennec have instruct Boba on everything, getting tired of these business meetings, why does the big bad wookiee just throw him/them around, but I loved the rancor bit and the flashback... when the transition cue started varying the new themes I instantly started smiling and was happy to get back into this much better done part. ...and then they just do away with our Tusken friends who we just barely started getting real attached to. Ugh.

This episode had some funny moments. In those surprisingly long scenes with Boba riding the bantha I thought, oh that animal is really slow. So, when Boba reached the tusken camp and saw the smoke column, he jumped from the bantha's back and ran because on the bantha's back it probably would have taken another day to get there.

Same with the slow motion chase. I had tho think of doctor Nefario and his scooter.

And at the fight scene with the wookie I couldn't help thinking of Ed Wood. 

Rodriguez doesn't have a hand for this. Unfortunetly.

I continue to be surprised by how many Americans are watching these Wednesdays mornings as opposed to Wednesday evenings!

I don't enjoy watching telly in the morning; I like quiet while I'm waking up and drinking coffee (maybe listen to a podcast).  TV is an after-work thing for me!

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This episode had some funny moments. In those surprisingly long scenes with Boba riding the bantha I thought, oh that animal is really slow. So, when Boba reached the tusken camp and saw the smoke column, he jumped from the bantha's back and ran because on the bantha's back it probably would have taken another day to get there.

Same with the slow motion chase. I had tho think of doctor Nefario and his scooter.

And at the fight scene with the wookie I couldn't help thinking of Ed Wood. 

Rodriguez doesn't have a hand for this. Unfortunetly.

Agreed. And his Alita had some exciting action scenes. Don’t know what happened here

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I continue to be surprised by how Americans are watching these Wednesdays mornings as opposed to Wednesday evenings!

I don't enjoy watching telly in the morning; I like quiet while I'm waking up and drinking coffee (maybe listen to a podcast).  TV is an after-work thing for me!

Sadly I'm back at work this week so I'll be watching tonight.  I am opposite of you, I much prefer watching things in the morning because I'm alert and ready to take in lots of new stimuli whereas I'm too tired and sleepy after 8pm to really feel like getting invested in a story, especially a long movie.   I used to love going to morning screenings of movies at the theater, back when I lived in cities (small town theaters don't do morning screenings because there isn't enough business for them).

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Because Disney must have assertive females and subservient men?

Fennec isn't assertive either, both of them are quite passive to what's happening around them despite them supposed to be making some kind of bid for power to establish themselves and gain the respect of the neighboring factions. Most of the time Fennec doesn't say a single word and just stands next to Boba doing her best to make it look like she's being a bodyguard

I know I'm a negative nancy about just about everything Star Wars these days, but the show feels like it doesn't really have a purpose. Like the suits told the Mando crew "HEY EVERYONE LIKES BOBA FETT!! GO MAKE A SHOW ABOUT BOBA FETT!!" and they just kind of didn't know what to do with the guy because his entire character is being cool armor. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I continue to be surprised by how Americans are watching these Wednesdays mornings as opposed to Wednesday evenings!

Same. I practically have to avoid the internet entirely until the evening just to avoid spoilers!

I liked everything in the episode aside from killing off the Tuskens and the weird chase.  I swear even my 7 year old daughter, with no influence from us, said “Why are they going so slow?”

But I actually liked the cyberpunk kids!  And really everything but those two things!

I liked this episode too! For me, the attraction to these things isn't the storytelling per se, but the world building and exploration, and the opportunity to widen areas we're already familiar with from previous STAR WARS iterations. So to be able to move around and see more of Mos Eisley or Mos Espa or whatever it was, was interesting to me.

Yeah, Rodriguez's direction leaves a lot to be desired. Pedestrian and amateurish, practically channeling the lifeless soundstage-locked atmosphere of the prequels.

Rarely during Mando was it apparent that the actors were surrounded by fake virtual sets on LED screens. But it's painfully obvious on this show.

I'm not overly surprised though. IMO he directed, hands down, the worst episode of Mando in that Boba Fett episode. BOBF feels like a continuation of that.

47 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Looked like Power Rangers with their coloured bikes.

I don't know what it is, but there's some seriously weird cinematography, framing, cuts, dialogue and plots in this show that feel like I'm watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl...

I don't tend to notice bad directing much (most big budget TV is pretty smartly directed these days) but it definitely felt a bit off for the third episode for the reasons stated (I've only seen his first Spy Kids movie from what I recall). I didn't like the biker gang at all. The acting was pretty unconvincing and the design of the hover bikes was totally out of kilter with the overall aesthetic of Tatooine. If it had been on, say Coruscant, they would have fitted in fairly well but against the sandy browns and natural tones of Tatooine it seemed unlikely they would come up with Earth 50s style shiny paint jobs and mod-esque rear view mirrors. I get that there was a bit of that in the original Star Wars (Luke's speeder has 50s design elements) but naturally wedded into the overall look in a way the bikes weren't. From a story perspective, disposing of the Tusken Raiders off screen seemed pretty feeble given they were so integral to the first couple of episodes. Although as I said on the music thread, the choral writing as Fett arrives at their homestead was pretty great. I thought the CG on the Rancor was pretty terrific and a nice throwback.

This is surely not just an issue of this show but of Star Wars in general. But in the slow motion chase I wondered why in Star Wars people are wearing helmets, when the go into a bar, but when they are running speeder bike on a desert planet, where it would absolutely make most sense to wear a helmet or at least some glasses against the wind and the sand, they don't wear anything to cover their face. I think, this was started by Anakin in episode II at the search for the tuskens. But Anakin was super powerful and a jedi.

Rey wore glasses on her speeder.

54 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

and the design of the hover bikes was totally out of kilter with the overall aesthetic of Tatooine

This is why I liked them!  They were very George Lucas actually.  Which is still a good thing to me...

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is why I liked them!  They were very George Lucas actually.  Which is still a good thing to me...

I didn't dislike them on their own terms, the design was fun, but they were too different from the rest of the Tatooine design aesthetic to be believable. Some of the hover effects were a bit ropey too. Seemed like they were stuttering at times, it was weird, can't quite put my finger on what looked wrong.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

But I actually liked the cyberpunk kids!  And really everything but those two things!

I liked the kids. I like the two stories. The chase was OK. You know what had really fast chases? Attack of the Clones. Yeah, I'm OK with this.

The not so secret sauce of Star Wars is "It's this-other-thing... IN SPACE!" And there's a little bit of Spy Kids with this gang. And I'm fine with that.

My only complaint about this show is "Who the heck is Boba Fett?" So far he's an entirely sympathetic character. I'm OK if he's grown up over the years. But was he ever bad?

That said, I just really like Morrison's performance. I don't know why but I do.

My kids want to know when Omega is going to show up. And I have to say that I would like that a lot.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

That said, I just really like Morrison's performance. I don't know why but I do.

Me too.  I find him very appealing to watch and only moreso now that he's older and his face has so much character.

15 minutes ago, crypto said:

It looked and felt like little more than blatant asskissing to George Lucas. Borderline embarrassing.

You can stop hate-watching any time.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You can stop hate-watching any time.

Believe me, I'm trying to get into it. But I'm going to call it as I see it!

The thing that frustrates me most is how uneven it is. For everything I like, there's something else that Rodriguez does that totally perplexes me or leaves me cold.