The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

I have kind of a bizarre theory; we keep talking about what might eventually connect these stories (present day, Boba/Tusken flashbacks, Boba as a kid flashbacks). I'm starting to wonder if the link between them is something as simple as water. How, I have no clue. The Tuskens told him about how Tatooine was once covered in water, Boba's "kid" flashbacks are of him looking out over the vast waves on Kamino watching his father leave, and people in the "present" keep bringing up the fact that Tatooine was once covered in water (notable mentions also include the Tusken "water pods" or whatever those cactus things are called, as well as the guy in the most recent episode being a water vendor). I'm probably looking too far into it, but they mention water quite a lot, particularly Tatooine's former landscape. I feel as though this is foreshadowing something. I just don't know what.

Who knows, maybe that ridiculous theory about Tuskens being fish people under their masks is true :lol: It would kind of work story-wise, as both Boba and the Tuskens would have been from a similar environment, further bonding Boba to his tribe (that's mostly if not fully wiped out) or the native people of Tatooine in general. Maybe the Pykes or some ancient crime lords/syndicate was somehow responsible for ridding the planet of it's water? I have no idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has it already been mentioned that the commonality between the weaker episodes in this show so far is that they’ve been directed by Robert Rodriguez? 😬 I will say, seeing Danny Trejo as a rancor trainer is something I didn’t know I needed. And the prospect of Boba riding a Rancor sounds suitably badass.
Buuuut …I’m starting to fall in the “meh” camp on this show. 

The gladiator Wookiee brawl was kinda cool too.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well the show can't end with Tatooine becoming a water planet again, since it's still a desert planet at the end of TROS :)

Not necessarily. There are rumors that Dave and Dave want to retcon the Abrams sequel trilogy. 

They can introduce the multiverse to the Star Wars franchise and say that the Sequel Trilogy happens on an alternate universe to The Mandalorian/BOBF/the other D+ shows.

They can even make a movie about that: "The Mandalorian in the Multiverse of Madness".

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

They can introduce the multiverse to the Star Wars franchise and say that the Sequel Trilogy happens on an alternate universe to The Mandalorian/BOBF/the other D+ shows.

They can even make a movie about that: "The Mandalorian in the Multiverse of Madness".

In hindsight, I prefer to believe that everything sequel related from the EU that was turned into Legends, would instead remain canon. So far, the two Mandalorian shows have not crossed into Abrams sequel territory, which is are apocrypha. 

As a consumer of fictional material, I am permitted to purchase and observe media that conforms to my world view... And reject everything else. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Well the show can't end with Tatooine becoming a water planet again, since it's still a desert planet at the end of TROS :)

It can. In God Emperor of <SPOILER>, it takes centuries to terraform <SPOILER> from desert to a wet world, keep it there for millennia, and centuries to revert.

TROS is still within a single human lifetime of the events of this series. Terraforming takes many. 

Even in KotOR 1, the Tusken Raiders tell stories of how Tatooine used to be verdant and lush before the Rakatan Empire fouled it up. The main story is still Legends, but Revan was made canon. 

18 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

So far, the two Mandalorian shows have not crossed into Abrams sequel territory

Mando Season 2 used Williams' Resistance March.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mando Season 2 used Williams' Resistance March.

He's talking about story and design elements obviously.

He could always headcanon away the music as representing the New Republic etc.

I really hope that when disney runs out of ideas in a decade…they use the multiverse gimmick and use the old expanded universe and adapt those stories… i mean there would be fewer people who have read them and therefore the surprise effect could work….

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Mando S2 also seems to be dovetailing with Bad Batch to support the Emperor cloning deal.

Which was also a storyline in Dark Empire from Legends

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

I really hope that when disney runs out of ideas in a decade…they use the multiverse gimmick and use the old expanded universe and adapt those stories… i mean there would be fewer people who have read them and therefore the surprise effect could work….

I would sign up for even an animated series a la What If?

But anyway there are countless films and tv shows based on book series so i dont see the point of them not doing it from the get go…

1 minute ago, Power Windows said:

Which was also a storyline in Dark Empire from Legends

I would sign up for even an animated series a la What If?

Me too…

or a clone wars rebels cgi show

It’s a nice idea on paper, but The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett differ way too much from the respective EU to possibly fit in. Just because it hasn’t touched heavily on Sequel Trilogy elements doesn’t mean it’s compatible, it functionally exists in a completely different universe.

If it was a part of the Legends timeline then The Mandalorian would be taking place whilst Grand Admiral Thrawn is launching his massive campaign to crush the New Republic and the galaxy would be in a period of war, which is not reflected in the slightest in the show.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I liked this episode too! For me, the attraction to these things isn't the storytelling per se, but the world building and exploration, and the opportunity to widen areas we're already familiar with from previous STAR WARS iterations. So to be able to move around and see more of Mos Eisley or Mos Espa or whatever it was, was interesting to me.

World-building is a huge thing to me as well, but the world presented in Book of Boba Fett is incoherent and vague.

Why do none of the big players in Mos Espa have any security in their buildings to prevent people just waltzing in with guns? How did Jabba’s criminal empire actually function and what happened to all the previous patrons under Bib Fortuna? Jabba’s palace is so empty and lifeless under Boba and it seems like he literally only has two guards and now a pack of swoopers. Why wouldn’t his first order of business be recruitment on a larger scale? Does he even have access to any money?

Why do the Pykes run a train of spice through the desert, why not use a spice freighter so you don’t have to worry about local interference at all?

I don’t get a sense for how literally any faction functions and it makes it very hard to get invested in the world as a result.

And things like Rebels throws a spanner in the works, rendering HttE as Non-Canon what with the

Spoiler

death of Ruhk (and Pelleon?) and the "defeat" of Thrawn.

18 hours ago, Power Windows said:

And things like Rebels throws a spanner in the works, rendering HttE as Non-Canon what with the

Hide contents

death of Ruhk (and Pelleon?) and the "defeat" of Thrawn.

That’s true but I’m assuming the idea was that you could migrate just The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett into Legends

On 14/01/2022 at 3:04 AM, Power Windows said:

Reveal hidden contents

You know, the main story can still work, as thrawn could return to the galaxy (after his dissapearance which in the eu happened around the same time) in the mandalorian era and try to co quest the galaxy for the empire. Only the protagonists would be different. Ashoka instead of luke, maybe ezra is the new cbaoth…or something. Mara jade could have the same story arc without luke… and you know maybe hondo onaka is the new talon karrde…

oh and pellaeon met thrawn after the battle of endor, although he was there in the videogames…. 

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

You know, the main story can still work, as thrawn could return to the galaxy (after his dissapearance which in the eu happened around the same time) in the mandalorian era and try to co quest the galaxy for the empire. Only the protagonists would be different. Ashoka instead of luke, maybe ezra is the new cbaoth…or something. Mara jade could have the same story arc without luke… and you know maybe hondo onaka is the new talon karrde…

oh and pellaeon met thrawn after the battle of endor, although he was there in the videogames…. 

At that point the only thing you would have left of the Thrawn trilogy are the names of the characters.

Mara Jade’s entire arc in that trilogy is dependent on Luke and literally could not be replaced with anyone else

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The SW EU went from being terrible, bottom of the barrel sci-fi books to being seen one of the great unsung film trilogies.  

There are far more high quality EU works than bad ones, and the attention to detail and most importantly continuity since the Thrawn trilogy up until the release of the 3D Clone Wars series is still unparalleled to this day. It really was firing on all cylinders across mediums such as video games, comic books, audio-books, and novels. It's really easy to dismiss the EU, especially with the revisionist history I see going on, but if you're even slightly disappointed in any of the current canon material I strongly urge you to check out its EU counterpart. The Clone Wars comics and Dark Times comics are such unbelievably superior versions of TCW and Rebels respectively it's actually kind of absurd, while I appreciate the new stories I honestly wish the shows had adapted this source material instead, especially for the Clone Wars which makes the conflict feel like a real war and explores important concepts like Jedi schisms that TCW barely touched.

Even if all of the new canon material was impeccable, it's destined to be thinner for quite a while as a result of throwing out an entire richly defined universe that was built over 40 years. That's why even when they try and recanonize stuff it's going to be a pale imitation, because so much of the foundation that defined it in the first place is going to be completely missing or altered to be practically unrecognizable.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Disney has listened to the fans, and the fans have won.  The bad Timothy Zahn novels from the 1990s are back. And they’re canon babyyyyy!

Why do you think the Thrawn trilogy is bad?

13 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

You and I had a very similar conversation in another thread, but here’s the gist of it!

On 23/12/2020 at 1:30 PM, mstrox said:

I read large swaths of the Legends EU over the decades, and am currently in the middle of reading or rereading through them all in release order.  I've always, since the 1990s, been puzzled over people's love of the Thrawn trilogy particularly, which is certainly readable and introduces a fun handful of characters to the universe, but includes so much clunky awful stuff as well.  I much prefer the sequel trilogy, even factoring in the woeful TROS.

Star Wars books are a fun diversion most of the time, except for the absolute worst of the worst of them, but I mean they're just mass market paperbacks.  By the time we made it through the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force, the universe was ripe for a reboot, and the Disney purchase fit that timeline almost perfectly.

On 14/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, mstrox said:

Not just Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuke but everything that had to do with Joruus C'Buuuuuuuoth as well.  And just the general stuff that plagued a lot of EU, especially the early EU where there wasn't a lot of other stuff to reference - Lando's continued entanglement with the big three in spite of no reason for him to pop up (since the authors in this period placed him as just off doing his baron administrator stuff in different convenient locales), frequent callbacks to events from the OT movies and callbacks/references to specific lines and dialogue, like the characters were frozen at the end of Return of the Jedi and defrosted just to have a new trilogy of adventures.

Like I said, they're fine for mass market paperback deals (and Zahn's Thrawn trilogy is ahead of the curve, especially considering its proximity to KJA), but to consider them as unimpeachable must-have moments in the saga of our main characters would be met with a shrug from ol' Mike.

On 14/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, mstrox said:

I think that's a completely understandable desire if you think that Legends was a worthwhile legacy to build a franchise on.  I disagree strongly, but that's just me!

(I'm not a Legends hater and am in fact currently rereading all of it by release date - in the middle of Bounty Hunter Wars now - but enjoying it for what it is and thinking that it works in any way off the page are two separate meters for me) 

51 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

There are far more high quality EU works than bad ones, and the attention to detail and most importantly continuity since the Thrawn trilogy up until the release of the 3D Clone Wars series is still unparalleled to this day. It really was firing on all cylinders across mediums such as video games, comic books, audio-books, and novels. It's really easy to dismiss the EU, especially with the revisionist history I see going on, but if you're even slightly disappointed in any of the current canon material I strongly urge you to check out its EU counterpart. The Clone Wars comics and Dark Times comics are such unbelievably superior versions of TCW and Rebels respectively it's actually kind of absurd, while I appreciate the new stories I honestly wish the shows had adapted this source material instead, especially for the Clone Wars which makes the conflict feel like a real war and explores important concepts like Jedi schisms that TCW barely touched.

Even if all of the new canon material was impeccable, it's destined to be thinner for quite a while as a result of throwing out an entire richly defined universe that was built over 40 years. That's why even when they try and recanonize stuff it's going to be a pale imitation, because so much of the foundation that defined it in the first place is going to be completely missing or altered to be practically unrecognizable.

I don't know, I remember what it was like during the height of the EU.  The books were regarded as mediocre-to-bad sci fi novels that were only for hardcore lore fans.  Particularly lacking in the adventurous spirit of the original series, with large sections of filler and written in unexciting hard-sci-fi prose.  

Their strict adherence to continuity created a sprawling universe of forgettable, disposable characters.  Characters that (despite having complex backstories) are so bland that you're counting the pages until Luke Skywalker shows up to swing around his lightsaber and resolve the conflict.  Though even the OT character sections are bland because the characters are kept in stasis in order to maintain the status quo and sell more books with Luke on the cover. 

The new canon made plenty of mistakes but ditching  the old EU was not one of them.  

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

You and I had a very similar conversation in another thread, but here’s the gist of it!

Ah yes, I remember now. I can't really see much to engage with there, I'm pretty sure they justify exactly why Lando is helping out the gang in the Thrawn Trilogy beyond y'know, being a good friend of the main trio and the New Republic which is enough on its own. I also hear a lot of people complain about Luuke and Joruus C'baoth but can't really get a sense for why they think it's bad for the story or why that would be a major flaw that diminishes the entire Trilogy. Not sure why not being able to reference other works in the universe other than the movies is a negative to the story either, I also doubt it's true because I know some stuff in the original Marvel comics run made it through the filter.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I don't know, I remember what it was like during the height of the EU.  The books were regarded as mediocre-to-bad sci fi novels that were only for hardcore lore fans.  Particularly lacking in the adventurous spirit of the original series, with large sections of filler and written in unexciting hard-sci-fi prose.  

Their strict adherence to continuity created a sprawling universe of forgettable, disposable characters.  Characters that (despite having complex backstories) are so bland that you're counting the pages until Luke Skywalker shows up to swing around his lightsaber and resolve the conflict.  Though even the OT character sections are bland because the characters are kept in stasis in order to maintain the status quo and sell more books with Luke on the cover. 

The new canon made plenty of mistakes but ditching  the old EU was not one of them.  

I'm not sure what period you're referring to as 'the height of the EU' but my personal experience was that I read some novels (including The Crystal Star hilariously enough) and comics when I was in school as well as listened to a bunch of audiobooks mostly out of context. I liked them but my true passion was in games such as Knights of the Old Republic 2 which completely blew me away with its world and characters. So from my perspective the height of the EU would've been early 2000s right up until TCW came out. I'm only really discovering it properly now after being completely disenfranchised with the current state of Star Wars and starting to realize how good things actually were before.

What I don't like about how people talk about the EU is just how damn broadly they condemn it, despite likely not having read even 10% of it because that would be an insane feat in itself. We're talking about 40 years of stories written by a wide swathe of authors with completely different writing styles. I feel like most people read a couple of series, don't like the writing style, and then just assume the rest is exactly the same. You claim the books were regarded as 'mediocre-to-bad sci fi' whilst completely neglecting that Heir to the Empire was #1 on the New York Times best seller list, with the trilogy itself selling 16 million copies in total. For something more recent as well, in 2011 a survey of 60,000 handled by National Public Radio was done on the top 100 science-fiction and fantasy books and it came in at number 88. You know what's also hilarious, I discovered that The Crystal Star, widely derided as the worst novel in the EU, was also a New York Times bestseller and the sixth consecutive Star Wars novel in a row to be on that list. Even when the EU was at its perceived lowest it was still popular!

Your personal value of the EU is one thing, but if you're going to claim that everyone just regarded it poorly and it had no mainstream appeal then that's a completely different narrative that's going to require actual evidence. And this is only just for the books, the popularity of the games can not be overstated enough and they were absolutely also a part of the EU.

36 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Ah yes, I remember now. I can't really see much to engage with there, I'm pretty sure they justify exactly why Lando is helping out the gang in the Thrawn Trilogy beyond y'know, being a good friend of the main trio and the New Republic which is enough on its own. I also hear a lot of people complain about Luuke and Joruus C'baoth but can't really get a sense for why they think it's bad for the story or why that would be a major flaw that diminishes the entire Trilogy. Not sure why not being able to reference other works in the universe other than the movies is a negative to the story either, I also doubt it's true because I know some stuff in the original Marvel comics run made it through the filter.

I'm not sure what period you're referring to as 'the height of the EU' but my personal experience was that I read some novels (including The Crystal Star hilariously enough) and comics when I was in school as well as listened to a bunch of audiobooks mostly out of context. I liked them but my true passion was in games such as Knights of the Old Republic 2 which completely blew me away with its world and characters. So from my perspective the height of the EU would've been early 2000s right up until TCW came out. I'm only really discovering it properly now after being completely disenfranchised with the current state of Star Wars and starting to realize how good things actually were before.

What I don't like about how people talk about the EU is just how damn broadly they condemn it, despite likely not having read even 10% of it because that would be an insane feat in itself. We're talking about 40 years of stories written by a wide swathe of authors with completely different writing styles. I feel like most people read a couple of series, don't like the writing style, and then just assume the rest is exactly the same. You claim the books were regarded as 'mediocre-to-bad sci fi' whilst completely neglecting that Heir to the Empire was #1 on the New York Times best seller list, with the trilogy itself selling 16 million copies in total. For something more recent as well, in 2011 a survey of 60,000 handled by National Public Radio was done on the top 100 science-fiction and fantasy books and it came in at number 88. You know what's also hilarious, I discovered that The Crystal Star, widely derided as the worst novel in the EU, was also a New York Times bestseller and the sixth consecutive Star Wars novel in a row to be on that list. Even when the EU was at its perceived lowest it was still popular!

Your personal value of the EU is one thing, but if you're going to claim that everyone just regarded it poorly and it had no mainstream appeal then that's a completely different narrative that's going to require actual evidence. And this is only just for the books, the popularity of the games can not be overstated enough and they were absolutely also a part of the EU.

The games are a separate category than the books, as most don't really touch the bloated Thrawn, Solo twins, Jagged Fel lore.  They're also a very different medium, one where SW is able to thrive more than books.  

There are a couple well reviewed books and even a couple I enjoy but that doesn't make up for the absolute bloat and joylessness of going through them.  You mention needing to read more than 10% to truly understand them.  That's not a good thing.  Especially for a franchise with so many series and sub-series (some of which are either very, very bad or very, very long).  

As for the New York Times bestseller thing, Star Wars books sell well because they're Star Wars.  Kids ask their parents to buy them because the cover has Luke holding a lightsaber.  They read the first few pages and then get bored.  

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

I can't really see much to engage with there

There’s no reason to.  Sounds like we just have different opinions - doesn’t have to be a dang debate!

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The games are a separate category than the books, as most don't really touch the bloated Thrawn, Solo twins, Jagged Fel lore.  They're also a very different medium, one where SW is able to thrive more than books.  

There are a couple well reviewed books and even a couple I enjoy but that doesn't make up for the absolute bloat and joylessness of going through them.  You mention needing to read more than 10% to truly understand them.  That's not a good thing.  Especially for a franchise with so many series and sub-series (some of which are either very, very bad or very, very long).  

As for the New York Times bestseller thing, Star Wars books sell well because they're Star Wars.  Kids ask their parents to buy them because the cover has Luke holding a lightsaber.  They read the first few pages and then get bored.  

I didn't say you needed to read more than 10% to understand them, I said if you haven't even read 10% of the EU then don't try and speak for its quality or style as a whole. By all means judge the series individually, but broad sweeping statements on the entire collective universe is just ill-informed. I can't think of a single piece of EU that isn't an obvious sequel that requires you to have read a completely different series to understand, most of the time the continuity is just the icing on the cake and the series/individual entries are relatively standalone.

I specifically separated games because I assumed that you were talking about the books, but EU includes everything in C (Continuity) canon which involves the games so they are definitely relevant to bring up.

You were talking about public perception, and so I gave you some public statistics that contradict what you claim. If Star Wars books sold well purely just for having the brand, then every Star Wars book would be on the New York Times best seller list. The latter is just complete conjecture, and I heavily doubt kids were voting in that 60,000 person survey about top sci-fi books.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

There’s no reason to.  Sounds like we just have different opinions - doesn’t have to be a dang debate!

I don't know why your brain jumps to debate. I simply want something that we can both anchor ourselves to and discuss instead of it being purely conjecture and based on individual taste. Those kinds of conversations go nowhere.

Most of what I said after that were questions just asking for you to explain why you believe what you said because I didn't understand the reasoning, rather than any particular challenge

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

and I heavily doubt kids were voting in that 60,000 person survey about top sci-fi books.

But that was in 2011, when the kids who whined to their parents to buy that book with Luke on the cover then forgot it for 20 years weren't kids anymore.

I think what you're both touching on without realizing is that Star Wars novels, games, etc. regardless of quality aren't reliant on what kinds of masterpiece or work of art it is, but how much it meant something to all sorts of people in all different generations. 

Disney never needed to throw away all the old stories to make new movies any more than Marvel needed to strike every old comic from canon when they did. You can adapt the material for the screen and have a screen continuity. Marvel even does that with its games now. The Spider-Man, Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy games have nothing to do with the movies and exist just fine on their own, and don't need to fit into a specific hole to line up with the films. 

When I got into gaming big time in the mid to late 90s, besides a few games like Jedi Knight and Tie Fighter, Star Wars games weren't really well regarded at all until Knights of the Old Republic in 2003. In between were a bunch of games that we loved to death like Bounty Hunter, Rogue Squadron, Episode 1 Racer. I think we knew at the time that they weren't the top of the top of gaming but we enjoyed them anyway because they were our experience. That's why in 2004 when Battlefront came out everyone was playing it and surprised at how solid and fleshed out they were compared to most other games. 

Bringing this back to Boba Fett, and I can say about most of the stories we're doing now, I can't get the old stories out of my head to comprehend what's going on in this new continuity. I keep mixing up facts and things from the books and games I read growing up. It really takes away the fun a bit knowing that everything built up over so many years is just flat out dead now.

You might argue that why would I want separate continuities between books, games, and film/TV then. I'd say at least I won't keep trying to make sense of all of it as one thing anymore, and starting with the premise that what I'm watching on Book isn't connected at all to the novels. 

And yeah, there's also the fact as was said before that these things are barely fleshed out yet. I don't think I really liked one book from the new canon so far, and they really haven't fleshed things out much at all, and as much as they have, every time they make a movie, they make some wacky independent decision that counters the backstory of a character. Take Poe for example. They gave him more of a backstory in the novels and then just completely ignored that in TROS. So what's the point of all this extra media? 

You have five movies, two TV shows so far as what's on the screen, and what's in books and comics seem completely reliant on those things, and outside of the trilogy of films, the two other films and two shows are so close to the original trilogy that they don't want to and can't touch anything in any significant way to do something interesting. 

I really think this strict adherence to one gigantic continuity is holding them back creatively when they're not keeping the story consistent and straight with the little bit they've done so far anyway. So what's the point?

...and I won't even get into the other demoralizing thing which is when someone points out something like this, fanboys and the people in charge of Star Wars rip them apart and call them names, so tons of people have just moved on. Myself included. Besides writing these long novels here to discuss, I haven't watched, played, or read a new Star Wars anything probably since Fallen Order. 

My main gripe with the reboot and the “legends” branding is that a legend would be based on reality a little, at least character names. I mean, ben solo should have been jacen and rey called jaina. No need to be twins, just the force diad. Unfold the story as it is, and then jaina becomes a solo, instead a skywalker. And you have real characters that have legends written about them, that are wildly different from the main story.

why are they writting a leghty comic series between esb and rotj, to save han solo… and yet they could use part of shadows of the empire to make two or three issues…but they arent.

In the "good old days" the only thing I ever recall making it from books / comics to screen is the name Coruscant. And if recall the story correctly that was a bit of a battle with Lucas. (He had never heard of it and wasn't planning on using it.) I have no documentation for this because even twenty years ago I didn't care that much.

How many different ways were the Death Star plans stolen? My favorite is the radio play although I have a soft spot for Kyle Katarn.

OTOH it's astonishing how much of Star Wars lore still in use today came from the West End role playing game.

I think we've discussed this before, but wasn't Darth Vader falling into the lava and needing the suit from old EU? I think everyone was expecting the prequel trilogy to end with "Anakin and Obi-Wan fight over the lava and Anakin loses so he needs the suit." even as far back as Phantom Menace. 

14 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I think we've discussed this before, but wasn't Darth Vader falling into the lava and needing the suit from old EU? I think everyone was expecting the prequel trilogy to end with "Anakin and Obi-Wan fight over the lava and Anakin loses so he needs the suit." even as far back as Phantom Menace. 

I think that's from the Return of the Jedi novelization, in the conversation of Luke with the Ghost of Obi-Wan on Dagobah

That might be true. 

I know they didn't talk squat about the Clone Wars, at least not in any detailed sense. I don't know if that was a Lucas mandate going back years.

I found that old Star Wars Encyclopedia from 1998, shown here.

image.png

Clone Wars has like, one sentence. I'll have to pull it out again. It's super vague. Something like "An old conflict that involved the Republic and cloning."

42 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

How many different ways were the Death Star plans stolen?

At least as many as the Rebellion origin stories.

37 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

That was lore from as far back as when Star Wars was in the cinema. First I'd heard it was in 1978.

It went right along with "Han rescued Chewbacca and Chewie owed Han a 'life debt'". This was given a little more weight in Han Solo at Stars End but it was around before that. 

Looking back now, I don't mind all this stuff being as loosey goosey as it was back then. It made the eventual "legends" branding logical. Everyone heard their own version of how certain things happened, and until we saw it on screen, it was kinda all just rumors. Different characters telling different things.

We pretend this stuff is the bible, where its all written in stone forever when it has lots of great room to iterate on certain stories, or tell different versions of the same thing. 

...and to once again try to steer the discussion back to the show, the "Boba Fett is so cool he totally escapes 1000 years of digestion in the Sarlac Pit" is another one of those things that have been "legend" for a long time. It's just this version has kinda been uninspiring so far. 

1 minute ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Boba Fett is so cool he totally escapes 1000 years of digestion in the Sarlac Pit

The first time it happened was the fall of 1983! Mind you, it didn't last that time. 

The hilarious thing about Maul is (if I have my story straight) that originally he just fell down the shaft after Obi Wan killed him. George said something like "No, people will think he's coming back. Cut him in half." 

Maybe he assumed that he would come up with more characters in II and III that people would like as much. 

Maul would have been great as a presence in AOTC and ROTS. Just some character that keeps a sense of danger out there the whole time, but you don't have to develop too much. Needing Dooku for lightsaber duels was lame. He never made sense as a Sith Lord. Sometimes I forget he was one.