The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Maul would have been great as a presence in AOTC and ROTS. Just some character that keeps a sense of danger out there the whole time, but you don't have to develop too much. Needing Dooku for lightsaber duels was lame. He never made sense as a Sith Lord. Sometimes I forget he was one. 

An alternative approach would’ve been to double down on Dooku from the beginning as a representation of a Sith that has a sympathetic alternate perspective that ultimately ends up getting manipulated by Palpatine like everyone else 

The emotional connection to our characters would be very strong because he was Qui Gon’s master, and if he ends up killing him then that would be all the more dramatic

I can't attest to the quality of the original EU as a whole as I haven't experienced most of it, but I do find it funny that Disney discarded it just to copy many of its most controversial ideas anyway, such as the existence of a Palpatine clone and the survival of Boba Fett. Of course they copied some of the better ideas too like the Dark Troopers in the Mandalorian coming from the old Dark Forces game, and parts with the Tusken Raiders in this show were reminiscent of their backstory in the original Knights of the Old Republic game. Even the entire episode of the Mandalorian involving the Krayt dragon was based off of one of the Tatooine quests from that game.

1 minute ago, enderdrag64 said:

I can't attest to the quality of the original EU as a whole as I haven't experienced most of it, but I do find it funny that Disney discarded it just to copy many of its most controversial ideas anyway, such as the existence of a Palpatine clone and the survival of Boba Fett. Of course they copied some of the better ideas too like the Dark Troopers in the Mandalorian coming from the old Dark Forces game, and parts with the Tusken Raiders in this show were reminiscent of their backstory in the original Knights of the Old Republic game. Even the entire episode of the Mandalorian involving the Krayt dragon was based off of one of the Tatooine quests from that game.

That is particularly baffling, I was under the impression they'd be cherry-picking the good stuff, so to see them take bad ideas and do them even worse was incredibly baffling. Same with the good ideas for that matter, the Dark Troopers were absolutely worthless in The Mandalorian, and the Tuskens are missing a lot of richness to their culture and history that was in KOTOR. The Krayt dragon is also a poor adaptation because the strategy they try and opt for is nonsensical compared to KOTOR where it's very simply, lure out Krayt Dragon and have him step on a bunch of mines - except in The Mandalorian that tactic barely does anything to it despite it being established it has a weak underbelly.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Book of Boba Fett 1x03 The Streets of Mos Espa

So when he reveals the mayor has promised everything to the Pykes, and those are the same guys that they robbed the train of in the flashback storyline, does that mean they've already been on the planet, for 5 years now just waiting to gain power after Jabba died?  Why didn't they obtain it right away? 

Because Bib Fortuna I guess.

I guess so

I guess the flashbacks will fill all this in

Looking forward to tomorrow's episode, despite the inconsistent nature of the show so far

And REALLY looking forward to the score release on Friday (/ Australia's Friday)

On 11/01/2022 at 1:03 PM, Jay said:

They've made a bunch of character posters for the show.  The Wookiee dude looks great

Reveal hidden contents

New posters

Spoiler

n3srrz4aj9c81.jpg?width=1366&format=pjpg

xcfwbt7aj9c81.jpg?width=1366&format=pjpg

b5mur8aaj9c81.jpg?width=1366&format=pjpg

I thought the new episode was ok. Nothing really special.

For me the most exciting thing about this episode was 

Spoiler

The Mandalorian music at the end. Just before the credits. Hope that we either get Din Djarin or the other Mandalorians from the 1st season of Mando. Would be cool if they were the muscle Fennec was talking about.

Agreed. Great episode that makes up for last weeks disappointing one. Even the punk kids scene was fine. I hope Rodriguez doesn’t direct any more episodes (and goes back to doing Sin City movies)

Definitely enjoyed this week more than last. Although it made me think about an article I read recently about Star Wars’ expendable approach to wildlife (the Saarlac - or however you spell it - this week…). But still a cool scene.

Also had a lightbulb moment. The kids are “mods” as in “modified” (with tech) and also “mods” as in the 60s subculture who clashed with rockers (hence all the wing mirrors on their flying mopeds). 

Or they could have used that teaser, then gone in order and eventually the Boba show catches up with that scene. 

Show is meh. It's better than last week, but that's not saying much. 

Still doesn't feel like Star Wars to me, and I think that's something deeper than anyone's been able to touch on so far. 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's increasingly clear that this show could (should?) have told its story in a straightforward chronological order, but because it wanted to end Mando S2 with that post-credits teaser of Boba sitting on Jabba's throne, they felt they had to start the series there.  This series could have been announced without that teaser, told in a chronological order starting with the sarlacc escape and have him seize the throne halfway through or whatever and we would have figured out how the timeline matched up with Mando as it went.

All that said, I'm still basically enjoying spending time in this series.  It's nothing amazing, but I like the world and the characters.  I'm having a good time.

Well stated. I feel like I agree. 
Somewhere once the season finishes there will be a fan edit cut in chronological order. And with the Rodriguez episodes trimmed/fixed/nixed ;)

side note: It seems like the “bouncey theme” (the motif we first heard for Boba in that Mando Episode) is kind of a theme for Slave 1 in this show(?) Or just a sub theme for Fett when he’s in “badass” mode. Either way I liked its usage in this episode.

I felt that ep3 managed to give zero indication that he spent 5 years with the Tuskens. Another reason killing them so early was wrong.

Don't have Disney+ so am not watching it. This article made me think that maybe I'm not missing much - 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/jan/19/boba-fett-is-dead-how-disney-ruined-star-wars-coolest-character

27 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Don't have Disney+ so am not watching it. This article made me think that maybe I'm not missing much - 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/jan/19/boba-fett-is-dead-how-disney-ruined-star-wars-coolest-character

Gotta admit that it might have been a more enjoyable series had their explored his badass side more than his spiritual awakening side... I mean, a gritty 15+ rated version could have been pretty great. I'm still enjoying it, it's fun watching others play in the metaphorical (and literal... it is Tatooine after all) Star Wars sandpit but it does feel like it might be better to leave iconic characters unexplored and come up with new ones and explore the Star Wars universe in a different way.

I would much rather have seen a Boba Fett miniseries that explored the seedy crime underworld of bounty hunting across the galaxy, especially somewhere like Coruscant. We saw fragments in AOTC and it was the only time that planet was interesting. I wish they explored it in the sequels (at least Trevorrow tried). I think this was the direction Star Wars: 1313 was going to take, before it was unceremoniously dumped during the Disney acquisition.

A spiritual awakening storyline is not what I had in mind for Boba Fett. It's a shame half the season was wasted under Rodriguez's pedestrian direction, but the fault also lies with Favreau.

I just hope the over-reliance on Tatooine in BOBF means the Obi-Wan series goes offworld for most episodes. I'm thoroughly sick of seeing the same planet over and over again (not just Tatooine but the other generic desert planets in every other Disney production). Also the overuse of Tusken Raiders/Jawas/Banthas.

Lucas made a point of establishing a whole galaxy of new environments in each film he did. There's been a rather baffling reluctance to branch beyond some well-trodden territory on this show.

Did they simply have no time to create something more ambitious?

He had 4 lines in Empire and none in Jedi, there was a cool mystique about him ... we knew (given the sort of people he was happy to work for) that he was an in-it-for-the-money bastard, and that was it. And then he died horribly, and that was that. 

Except apparently he survived the Sarlaac and has gone all 'touchy-feely'. Bleh.   

59 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Following the logic of how Boba Fett and Darth Maul were treated, we are going to get soon a series about the re-creation and afterlife of this super fighter tusken from the first BOBF episodes.

Could be good!

2 hours ago, crypto said:

I just hope the over-reliance on Tatooine in BOBF means the Obi-Wan series goes offworld for most episodes. I'm thoroughly sick of seeing the same planet over and over again (not just Tatooine but the other generic desert planets in every other Disney production). Also the overuse of Tusken Raiders/Jawas/Banthas.

That's what I was thinking too as I watched the show. 

The Star Wars galaxy has a lot of different planets with diverse environments, but we still get to see the same desert planets over and over again (maybe because it's cheaper? I don't know).

100% it would be cheaper and faster for the VFX team. A large digital desert environment would be much easier to generate and faster to render (especially compared to a stormy water planet, or a giant forest planet with exotic flora, or a sprawling city planet with flying ships everywhere).

Plus most of those assets would already exist from Mando, which means even less work for the VFX team. 

I love Mos Eisley and Espa!

BTW my 7-year-old daughter is absolutely loving this show.  This is the first Star Wars anything she's watched and she's very into it.  Makes me play the theme cue over and over too :lol:.  So, you know, be prepared for all the 25 year olds to be super nostalgic for the Book of Boba in 2040.

The prequels came out between my ages of 12-18 and I certainly have a lot of affection for them.  I can put on Attack of the Clones today and have a great time enjoying the genuinely good parts and roasting the bad.  I'm sure a lot of people might feel that way about TROS in the future, which I genuinely never want to see again in my life.

23 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

*blows up Raider gang*

Boba Fett:  Science, bitch!

I have to admit after the scene of Boba mercilessly slaughtering that speeder gang I paused it and talked to my daughter about why that wasn't actually a good thing....  you know, just checking in to make sure she understood...

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have to admit after the scene of Boba mercilessly slaughtering that speeder gang I paused it and talked to my daughter about why that wasn't actually a good thing....  you know, just checking in to make sure she understood...

That was my favorite part of the episode!  

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So they're definitely teasing a Mandalorian tie-in/crossover musically at the end of this week's ep, right?

Nah, obviously there is going to be a gang riding bass flutes/recorders next episode.

14 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

They teased the crossover when they played his twangy dissonance, which led Boba to find Fennec.

I didn't interpret that as a tease of something to come, more just a musical indicator that we were observing something that happened in Mando from Boba's perspective.  When I heard that I immediately made the connection of when this was happening.

26 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Nah, obviously there is going to be a gang riding bass flutes/recorders next episode.

Alright smartass, I was just trying to trigger some speculation about what exactly the crossover would entail.  Like is Boba going to recruit Mando himself to help fight the fish people or maybe it could be just Starbuck and her friends or something.

The Book Of Boba Fett 1x04  The Gathering Storm

I liked it, a lot!

I was a bit confused at first why he found Fennec's body so early in the episode, after a trip to spy on Jabba's palace; So, they just gloss over 5 years of Tatooine living in between the end of the last episode and the start of this one?  Huh.  What I really liked though, was the tease of Mandalorian music just before he found her, that was hella cool!

The trip to fix her up was super fun due to the cool source cue, and then their mission to get his ship from Jabba's palace was awesome.  I loved the two kitchen droids, and then loved even more the little rat catcher droid that showed up!  This show is having more fun with droids than anything Star Wars has done in a long time.

I already felt like I had seen an episode's worth of content by this point, and was surprised the episode kept going!  Him and Fennec opening fire on the gang that killed the Tuskens was honestly pretty cool (the Slave I just looks awesome doing anything I think, maybe that is nostalgia from me playing with the toy as a kid I dunno)

But then the trip to the Sarlaac pic was kinda weird.  Why did he think his armor was inside it?  Did he think it slid off his body on its own when he was lying there after escaping?  I know he was unconscious when the jawas took it but come on.....   Anyways, it was a decent little action scene regardless, even if I was a bit confused by the bomb they dropped in affected the Sarlaac but not their ship at all.

Once again I felt like the episode was coming to an end, but then it kept going!  I was actually disappointed that it went back to the "main" timeline after this, I woulda loved an entire episode set in the flashback timeline.... and then I was even more annoyed that they indicated his bacta healing was done, which I guess also means no more flashbacks? Bummer! It was honestly kinda weird they way they went from covering his life up to the Sarlaac fight to present day with just a few quick images of him killing Boba, not showing him getting his armor back and helping Mando out and stuff.... Just felt wrong.

Anways, what did happen in the modern timeline was OK I guess.  I liked the scene with the Wookiee dude actually ripping arms out of sockets, and they genuinely pulled a nice fakeroo thinking Jennifer Beals talked him out of it for a hot minute :lol: 

The meeting with the other crime lords or whatever of the planet was kinda meh, I find all this stuff muddly and not explained well enough.  I completely expect one of these guys to betray him at some point, one of them is likely working with the Pykes already.

The ending moment was cool though, with another tease of Mando music to indidate the reinforcements Fennec is thinking of are from that show.  I wonder if Pedro Pascal will be a major character in the final 3 eps?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

So, they just gloss over 5 years of Tatooine living in between the end of the last episode and the start of this one?  Huh. 

To me his dialogue seemed to imply that he had been living with the Tuskens for several years before they were killed.  Either way, the show made a big time jump at some point without signaling it.