The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

Oh wow, I didn't pick up on that.  I definitely thought the entire flashbacks so far up to and including the Tusken's slaughter was supposed to have all be in the "not long after ROTJ" timeline.

I guess it could have been like you said.  I suppose some official resource will clarify at some point

I suppose the most time passed between him killing the sand Gorn and when he was learning how to use a gaffi stick from the female Tusken?

Yeah, the timeline is a bit fuzzy.  Jabba’s been gone for years - what percentage of that time was Boba inside the sarlaac, with the Tuskens, and wandering later?  In the end, I don’t really care too much here.  Star Wars has been similarly fudgy basically forever.  How long did Luke train under Yoda and how long did the Millennium Falcon take to travel at sub-light speeds between star systems in ESB?  How long was Snoke’s ship chasing the resistance while Finn and Rose went flirting about the Galaxy?  “Until the story is over” is really all that matters.

Per https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/boba-fett-timeline-how-it-works

By the end of the fourth episode of The Book of Boba Fett, the flashbacks that have taken up at least half the series so far have been reconciled with the events of “the present.” Here’s how they shake out in the timeline as we currently understand it:

Boba Fett finds Fennec Shand wounded in the desert: This happens during Mando Season 1, so 9 ABY, five years after Return of the Jedi (which itself is 4 years after the Battle of Yavin = 0 ABY).

Boba Fett and Fennec Shand go looking for Boba Fett’s armor: This has to occur right before the events of The Mandalorian, during which Fennec and Boba meet Mando, and Boba gets his armor back. So again, roughly 9 ABY.

Boba Fett and Fennec take over Bib Fortuna’s crime empire: This was the post-credits scene of Mandalorian Season 2, so this all happens alongside the Mando timeline.

Although The Book of Boba Fett catches us up on what Shand and Fett were doing during the events of Mando, the amount of time that passes between the first Boba Fett flashback and the “present” feels rushed. Although it’s not stated on screen, the audience has to assume one of three things for all of this to make sense.

1. Boba Fett spent nearly five years with the Tusken tribe before they were slaughtered.

2. Boba Fett spent a few months with the Tusken tribe and then several years alone in the desert.

3. Boba split the difference, spending a few years with the Tuskens and then a few years alone before he met Fennec Shand and got his ship back.

In all cases, from the moment he emerges from the Sarlacc Pit to the “present,” five years must pass. The Mandalorian takes place five years after Return of the Jedi, while the first Book of Boba Fett flashback happens, in theory, right after Return of the Jedi.

At no point does Boba Fett mention to Fennec exactly how many years it's been since he was in the Sarlacc Pit. He only says “That’s where I was trapped all those years ago.” Presumably he means five. Unless...

Was Boba in the Sarlacc for a number of years? How was he not killed? How did he get nutrition? We saw that he got oxygen on one occasion, but does his armor provide food and water? 

C3PO said it takes 1,000 for the Sarlacc to digest its victims, but surely they are not kept alive for the duration - - the Imperial stormtrooper was very dead. 

On 19/01/2022 at 4:48 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Hope that we either get Din Djarin or the other Mandalorians from the 1st season of Mando. Would be cool if they were the muscle Fennec was talking about.

For some reason the only thing I thought of was Mando himself.  But yea, I totally forgot there was a bunch of other Mandalorians in season 1, wasn't there?  And then there's Starbuck and the other lady from season 2, too - who Fennec's actually met

On 19/01/2022 at 5:17 AM, crypto said:

Well that episode was clearly the best so far!

Hmmm I dunno, I think ep 2 is the still the best

The cinematography was noticeably more dynamic and cinematic.

It was Dean Cundey again! (who also shot ep 2)

The dry humour worked a treat, nicely offsetting his otherwise serious demeanor ("Don't touch my buttons," "It was worth a shot").

Both of those lines were well delivered and funny :)

On 19/01/2022 at 6:27 AM, saulocf said:

Even the punk kids scene was fine.

Wait what? The cyborg kids from last week weren't in this episode... or do you just mean the new characters that fixed up Fennec?

On 19/01/2022 at 6:27 AM, saulocf said:

I hope Rodriguez doesn’t direct any more episodes (and goes back to doing Sin City movies)

According to wikipedia he's directing one more this season.  The other 2 directors remaining are one by Bryce Dallas Howard and one by Dave Filoni.

On 19/01/2022 at 10:36 AM, mstrox said:

Lots of fun!  And it had a ripping 1990s techno tune.  LET’S GET IT

I enjoyed that music a lot

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heh, in the end the sarlacc had Lucas special beak (thank goodness… halfway into the scene i thoguht my god they really have ditched lucas idea….)

I didn't enjoy the beak being canonized.  Why do this?

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's increasingly clear that this show could (should?) have told its story in a straightforward chronological order, but because it wanted to end Mando S2 with that post-credits teaser of Boba sitting on Jabba's throne, they felt they had to start the series there.  This series could have been announced without that teaser, told in a chronological order starting with the sarlacc escape and have him seize the throne halfway through or whatever and we would have figured out how the timeline matched up with Mando as it went.

I was thinking along the same lines at some point this episode.  When it was clear the flashback was not going to be interupted by the other timeline, I was thinking that the amount of screentime the flashbacks took up over episodes 1, 2, and 3 are probably just about a normal episode's worth of content.  If this has been the second episode of the show (without the other timeline stuff at the end), that would have made for a killer first 2 episodes!

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

All that said, I'm still basically enjoying spending time in this series.  It's nothing amazing, but I like the world and the characters.  I'm having a good time.

I agree with Disco Stu

20 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Or they could have used that teaser, then gone in order and eventually the Boba show catches up with that scene. 

Show is meh. It's better than last week, but that's not saying much. 

Still doesn't feel like Star Wars to me, and I think that's something deeper than anyone's been able to touch on so far. 

I think every person has a different idea of what they want Star Wars to be

15 hours ago, WampaRat said:

side note: It seems like the “bouncey theme” (the motif we first heard for Boba in that Mando Episode) is kind of a theme for Slave 1 in this show(?) Or just a sub theme for Fett when he’s in “badass” mode. Either way I liked its usage in this episode.

To me it seemed like the new theme was exclusive to the flashback timeline, and then the bouncy theme was exclusive to the modern timeline.  But, then, that got a been fudgy in episode 4, so I dunno any more

8 hours ago, crypto said:

I would much rather have seen a Boba Fett miniseries that explored the seedy crime underworld of bounty hunting across the galaxy

I guess there's still an opportunity to do a show like this at some point.  Maybe due to budget and covid they had to write a Tatooine centric show.

A spiritual awakening storyline is not what I had in mind for Boba Fett.

It is kinda funny how similar both shows are.

Both shows are about a bounty hunter wearing Mandalorian armor, who doesn't actually do much bounty hunting, and instead is always doing good things to help people.

I just hope the over-reliance on Tatooine in BOBF means the Obi-Wan series goes offworld for most episodes. I'm thoroughly sick of seeing the same planet over and over again (not just Tatooine but the other generic desert planets in every other Disney production). Also the overuse of Tusken Raiders/Jawas/Banthas.

Oh man I forgot Obi Wan is gonna be yet another show set on Tatooine.  Damn!

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

Surprised that after five years, Boba would forget where he put his armor. Did he forget he climbed out of the Sarlacc wearing it? He crawled away, passed out, and then he was robbed. Why would the armor be back inside the Sarlacc?

Top 30 Michael Scott Thank You GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

2 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Was Boba in the Sarlacc for a number of years? How was he not killed? How did he get nutrition? We saw that he got oxygen on one occasion, but does his armor provide food and water? 

Star Wars and science have never gone hand in hand!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait what? The cyborg kids from last week weren't in this episode...

I didn't enjoy the beak being canonized.  Why do this?

1: they are part of the same subculture.

2: because some people out there like the beak.

48 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Star Wars has been similarly fudgy basically forever.  How long did Luke train under Yoda and how long did the Millennium Falcon take to travel at sub-light speeds between star systems in ESB?  How long was Snoke’s ship chasing the resistance while Finn and Rose went flirting about the Galaxy?  “Until the story is over” is really all that matters.

This is different though.  In those examples, we're following everything in chronological order.  The fact that we don't really know how long stuff took doesn't really matter.  We saw the beginning, middle, and end of those stories and the details don't make a difference.

Here, the show set up for 3 episodes that we were simultaneously seeing insight into 5 years and, and "now", back and forth.  And we had no reason not to think that this would continue all season, and he'd get up to a lot of adventures after escaping the Sarlaac pit, before killing Bib.  So, it was jarring and weird when both timelines collapsed very abruptly this week.

The beak was canonized in 1997. It's never not been canon ever since, no matter how much the majority hates it or refuses to accept it by watching Harmy's cut. 

The beak was thus given one final day to shine before being given a glorious send-off. 

I liked its demise. 

There’s a baby sarlacc in Galaxy’s Edge, just a little beak and wiggly tentacles coming out of like a houseplant pot.  Not sure if this is in-park.  I think it popped up in the comics.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think every person has a different idea of what they want Star Wars to be

I'm starting to wonder if that's the case, or if it's just that nobody can communicate what is the essence so it sounds like everyone wants different things, and then there are just some people who don't care if something doesn't feel like Star Wars, which is fine too. 

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Star Wars and science have never gone hand in hand!

This isn't about scientific accuracy, this is about fleshing out the mechanics of how stuff works in the universe. Don't need to go into great detail since that's not Star Wars' bag, but it would help believability and make things feel more cohesive if those things were given thought.

Ripe for storytelling potential too, what exactly does being in a Sarlacc for a year (or however amount of time it was) actually do to a person both mentally and physically? What is it required to survive in there and what kind of mental toll does that take on someone?

Instead BOBF treats it more as an inconvenience than potential for character development, which is a trend with a lot of the conflicts so far

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyways, it was a decent little action scene regardless, even if I was a bit confused by the bomb they dropped in affected the Sarlaac but not their ship at all.

I was curious about that too, but checking AOTC, it's clear the seismic bombs discharge their shockwave in a flat, singular direction.

But the obvious logic problem is they had no idea which direction the shockwave would discharge; it could've exploded vertically and obliterated Slave I, for all they knew. Lucky it went horizontally and ripped the Sarlaac in half :P

No offense taken. I feel that, more often than not, Thor and I understand each other. 😊

But I wanted to be clear in case any one actually mistook my words for something they’re not. But it’s all in good fun, I hope people can see that. Clearly, the show is cheesy in an enjoyable way. 😉

Like what you like, people!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I think the show is fine, the biggest problem most people have is expecting it to be better or more interesting than what the people making it have in mind for it

That's the thing that worries me a little. I have no expectation on the show at all. Still it managed to disappoint me more than once.

But of course I understand, that it is possible to love the show for the fan service that it is. If I just would be looking forward to the next easter egg and get excited about each reference to the movies this show would be heaven for me.

Is the show going to have more seasons? I think it was going to be a one season show, but one reads everywhere this is “season 1”.

i prefer them doing short miniseries ( as if it is one long movie), otherwise they tend  to get nowhere after some time.

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is the show going to have more seasons? I think it was going to be a one season show, but one reads everywhere this is “season 1”.

i prefer them doing short miniseries ( as if it is one long movie), otherwise they tend  to get nowhere after some time.

...and he ruled over Tatooine as a benevolent Daimyo until he was eaten by the Sarlacc's angry sister who made sure she chewed her food thoroughly before swallowing. The End.

On 23/01/2022 at 4:15 PM, Datameister said:

Mando is initially characterized exactly as you might expect Boba to be: a focused, efficient, faceless, not-too-talkative badass who gets the job done so he can get paid. Obviously a big part of that show is his development beyond being a proxy for Boba Fett. So...what do you do with a show that's actually about the real Boba?

100% it seems the tables have turned on how the Mando is effectively the new Boba.

16 minutes ago, saulocf said:

I found it funny that other than the finales, this is the first Mandalorian episode where he didn’t need to go to a side quest in other to move things along. Found that very refreshing actually.

Depends on the definition of side quest, seeing as he needed the bounty to find the covert, and going to Tatooine to get the ship to be easily found by Fennec.

17 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Depends on the definition of side quest, seeing as he needed the bounty to find the covert, and going to Tatooine to get the ship to be easily found by Fennec.

Well that is true, but this time I didn’t feel that the plot was being necessarily driven by it. The scenes such as him boarding the transport, or driving the newly built ship game me a different vibe.

I was a bit confused about going to Tatooine, because didn't the Mandalorian boss woman say that he had to repent in the mines of Mandalore or something (I'm sure there are some kind of mine remants there, even if he says they've been destroyed)? And now he's off to see baby Yoda instead. So no repenting at all?

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was a bit confused about going to Tatooine, because didn't the Mandalorian boss woman say that he had to repent in the mines of Mandalore or something (I'm sure there are some kind of mine remants there, even if he says they've been destroyed)? And now he's off to see baby Yoda instead. So no repenting at all?

From what I understood, he wouldn’t be able to repent, so he is out of the clan for good.

That's a rather harsh decision, seeing as there are only three of them. I'm hopeful they return to the 'repent' part at some point in the series proper.

Just now, Thor said:

That's a rather harsh decision, seeing as there are only three of them.

I don't think that there is only three.

I'm sure there are more Mandalorians about, but don't they say that they're the "last three" or something in that scene? As in last three of the clan?