The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I was a bit confused about going to Tatooine, because didn't the Mandalorian boss woman say that he had to repent in the mines of Mandalore or something (I'm sure there are some kind of mine remants there, even if he says they've been destroyed)? And now he's off to see baby Yoda instead. So no repenting at all?

I'm assuming that's probably setting up the plot for Mando S3 (maybe even him seeing Grogu?) Kinda confused about him saying he wanted to see Grogu first though, so maybe they will see each other in the next episode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just watched it. It’s funny that I’m already nostalgic for The Mandalorian 😆 Great fun. Again, I love them bridging all aspects of various Star Wars stories in this show. You got Clone Wars stuff, Fathiers from Last Jedi being mentioned, Ships from Phantom Menace, pieces of junk found in the trash compactor in A New Hope. Its all the same world in these shows. And I love that. 

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I see they're still going with the "no emotional attachments" thing that destroyed the original Jedi order

Tbf that could just be what the Armorer believes, based on what she knows about past Jedi. I don't think she would know anything about how Luke specifically is training his students.

5 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Tbf that could just be what the Armorer believes, based on what she knows about past Jedi. I don't think she would know anything about how Luke specifically is training his students.

Ahsoka said it in her Mandolorian episode.  Maybe she'll lead a splinter group of radical orthodox Jedi.  

Does she even need to?

Like what was said above, it's what was known about the Jedi. Even now, nobody's really seen a Jedi for almost 40 years or so.

Of course we know nothing about how Luke trained Jedi because why would anyone want to see that on screen ever? But I feel like if anyone, Luke would understand how caring for someone was good for a Jedi. Especially since, well, know you...

image.png

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I was a bit confused about going to Tatooine, because didn't the Mandalorian boss woman say that he had to repent in the mines of Mandalore or something (I'm sure there are some kind of mine remants there, even if he says they've been destroyed)?

Somehow he got a message from Amy Sedaris that she found him a new ship. He took a starliner from Ringworld to Tatooine to get said ship. Otherwise he'll be bumming rides everywhere. I don't think the commercial flights go to dead worlds like Mandalore. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm sure there are more Mandalorians about, but don't they say that they're the "last three" or something in that scene? As in last three of the clan?

Yes. His clan had two without him. But there are other clans. Boba Fett, while a clone, is part of a legitimate house that does not have the archaic tradition of not removing the helmet. Starbuck and her sidekick removed their helmets. The Armorer is an obsolete crone who pulled a question out of her ass once Mando clutched victory from the jaws of defeat. I think she made up the story about the mines as her way of telling him to pound sand and get out. She made repentance impossible, so now he has to move on. 

There are others scattered elsewhere. The question will be what influence does the Armorer have over other clans - - can she trump the Darksabre? 

It is a telling part of Mando's character that he chose not to lie about removing his helmet. He could have and the armorer would not know... Until it comes up in conversation with Bill Burr, Luke, Grogu, Moff, Starbuck, Fennec, Gina, and Starbuck's sidekick. 

If the goal of the show is to use Mando's Darksabre to rally the helmet removing clans to defend Tatooine, I don't think that is a noble goal. They should think bigger. Reclaim Mandalore! 

I think grogu will not be comfortable at lukes academy and he will want to go. Mando did some kind of mandalorian armor for him and has a small cockpit in the new ship, how convenient by the way....

I dont understand thoguh that pre viszla, the boss of the clan of helmeted mandalorians...was most of the time without helmet...

The failings of the PT Jedi are clear to us as people who watch the story unfold onscreen, but wouldn’t necessarily be clear to people in-universe.  All the Galaxy knows about Jedi is what came before them, and I don’t think Ahsoka from the inside (and raised under that code) would necessarily have the insight to make the connection, or that the rando on the street would necessarily be privy to the exact hows on the fall of the Jedi (especially since Jedi were eradicated and spoken of in almost legendary status by the time of the OT).  And it’s clear that the armorer is the type to adhere to rigid rules despite their antiquated nature, so it’s no surprise here.

Seems like Mando “has to see Grogu first” so that he can show up later at a pivotal point of the battle, rather than lining up at the frontlines.  I suspect we won’t follow Mando anymore, but that we’ll see that reunion (so soon?!) in Mando s3.  Hope they’ve been working hard over the past year to perfect their shaky Luke deepfake. Wouldn’t mind the cameras following Amy Sedaris’s character for another episode before the Bob Fett finale, though.

I appreciate the little bit of Mando exposition and the intense sword slayings in the opening, but otherwise the first half of the episode didn’t really thrill me.  I’ve never been particularly invested in the mythos of Mandalore or the This Is The Way sect.  The back half (the weird sitcom love letter to The Phantom Menace for some reason) was much more my speed.  Excited to see how these intertwine!

16 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Wasn't it worrying how good it felt to not have Boba in the episode?

I'll disagree. I loved the episode. It was great to see Mando. Very curious to see where he goes now. They even addressed  the inconsistency of Sabine just giving away the Dark Saber vs. "It must be won in combat!"

(Wait, there's no law on Tatooine other than crime syndicates but there's an armed Republic starfighter presence handing out parking tickets? Is this some kind of half hearted attempt to sway Skywalker?)

But I spent most of the episode holding my breath thinking "Oh, THIS is when it's going to rejoin the main story, right?"

"This has been an emergency episode of The Mandalorian. We now return you to The Book of Boba Fett already in progress."

Yeah that was just a straight-up episode of The Mandalorian. It also was my favorite episode from this spinoff so far—perhaps a sad thing. Mando really is a better Boba Fett than Boba Fett. And of course, the episode had a lot of other stuff missing from its predecessors.

58 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

(Wait, there's no law on Tatooine other than crime syndicates but there's an armed Republic starfighter presence handing out parking tickets? Is this some kind of half hearted attempt to sway Skywalker?)

That is a very good question.

43 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

So strange to me that my favorite episode of a Boba Fett show (so far) doesn't have Boba Fett in it. 

My favorite episode of Boba Fett remains episode 2.  My favorite episode of Mando Season 2.5 is the only one that exists :lol:

Really enjoyed that one like everyone else. The Dyson Sphere/Halo (I think?) type place at the start was great. Made me wish they could have done more with the Dyson in the Relics episode of TNG. The Star Wars meets Dark City aesthetic was cool.

My only quibble with him having a Naboo star fighter is that he basically lived on his ship and used it to transport stuff. A star fighter would be an entirely impractical alternative. It’s clearly meant for short range combat missions. Kinda cool but didn’t make a fat lot of sense. 

27 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

My only quibble with him having a Naboo star fighter is that he basically lived on his ship and used it to transport stuff. A star fighter would be an entirely impractical alternative. It’s clearly meant for short range combat missions. Kinda cool but didn’t make a fat lot of sense. 

Perhaps he, even unconsciously, is preparing to leave behind the itinerant life of a bounty hunter

Mando knows all that and more. There was enough room in the Razor Crest to stretch his legs and remove his helmet and hold multiple carbonite slabs. It's the mechanic who keeps pushing this starfighter at him. It is obvious that the astromech dome will be big enough to hold Baby Yoda, and that will give us Season 3.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps he, even unconsciously, is preparing to leave behind the itinerant life of a bounty hunter

Maybe... 

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Mando knows all that and more. There was enough room in the Razor Crest to stretch his legs and remove his helmet and hold multiple carbonite slabs. It's the mechanic who keeps pushing this starfighter at him. It is obvious that the astromech dome will be big enough to hold Baby Yoda, and that will give us Season 3.

...but that seems possible!

Yeah, there's a fine line between offering a few fun references to the past and hitting us over the head with a new one at every turn. For all their flaws, the prequels weren't this tethered to the franchise's glory days.

17 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe one of padmes cruisers?

Unlikely. Padme's chrome starships were not large enough to have a space hangar. He could bolt it to the underbelly and space swim between ships, I guess. 

Here's one problem with the episode. Amy Sedaris' hangar was Mos Eisley. When Mando flew out of town, he traveled the same Boonta Eve racetrack as Anakin's pod race. But Anakin lived in Mos Espa. These cities are not supposed to be close together. Did he cover that much ground for just the nostalgic high? 

6 hours ago, Positivatee said:

When Mando flew out of town, he traveled the same Boonta Eve racetrack as Anakin's pod race.

He did not. It specifically said that this was Beggar's Canyon.

18 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

He did not. It specifically said that this was Beggar's Canyon.

Dude, the internet is full of happy children who grew up with The Phantom Menace who cheered as they recognized all the twists and turns and gates from that movie, in this episode. 

5 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Dude, the internet is full of happy children who grew up with The Phantom Menace who cheered as they recognized all the twists and turns and gates from that movie, in this episode. 

Yeah, that's fair. Me? I'm the guy who recognized the freaking stick that Han Solo tried to use to stop the garbage masher.

There was a brief moment of hope that he would fly near (or through!) the Stone Needle.

8 hours ago, Datameister said:

Yeah, there's a fine line between offering a few fun references to the past and hitting us over the head with a new one at every turn. For all their flaws, the prequels weren't this tethered to the franchise's glory days.

All I can say is that my daughter is loving this show, talks about it and asks questions about the story every day, and it's the first Star Wars anything she's ever watched. 

LOL every generation seems to love the Star Wars they grew up with and then get super divisive about the Star Wars made when they're grown up.  The cycle will continue anew!

12 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

....Which is part of the Boonta Eve racetrack.

The canyon dune turn.

So... Does this mean Luke lives closer to Mos Espa? Or that he and his friends travel a long way to hang out? Or that he and Ben went to the much farther away Mos Eisley? Or Anakin and Qui Gon traveled a long way to the pod race?

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All I can say is that my daughter is loving this show, talks about it and asks questions about the story every day, and it's the first Star Wars anything she's ever watched. 

LOL every generation seems to love the Star Wars they grew up with and then get super divisive about the Star Wars made when they're grown up.  The cycle will continue anew!

Give my regards to your daughter -- she has fine taste!

I think it's OK to be "into" the STAR WARS of one's formative years. Everyone's like that. But I think it's important not to STOP there, and meet new iterations with an open mind. If you think about it, the original trilogy had plenty of hokey elements -- in fact often moreso than iterations in later years.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

If you think about it, the original trilogy had plenty of hokey elements

I have NO idea what you are talking about. 😉 Well... Maybe in Return of the Jedi. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

So... Does this mean Luke lives closer to Mos Espa? Or that he and his friends travel a long way to hang out? Or that he and Ben went to the much farther away Mos Eisley? Or Anakin and Qui Gon traveled a long way to the pod race?

8 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Here's one problem with the episode. Amy Sedaris' hangar was Mos Eisley. When Mando flew out of town, he traveled the same Boonta Eve racetrack as Anakin's pod race. But Anakin lived in Mos Espa. These cities are not supposed to be close together. Did he cover that much ground for just the nostalgic high? 

Already questioned it. 

TBH, if the show does a crummy job communicating a 5 year lapse spent with the Tuskens, we can't trust it to accurately communicate distance either. 

Until the movies or shows provide a map showing where Mos Espa, Mos Eisley, Anchorhead, and Tosche Station are with respect to each other, we are forced to assume that camera wipes and cuts can absorb anything from thousands of kilometers or just a couple meters. 

1 minute ago, Positivatee said:

TBH, if the show does a crummy job communicating a 5 year lapse spent with the Tuskens, we can't trust it to accurately communicate distance either. 

Until the movies or shows provide a map showing where Mos Espa, Mos Eisley, Anchorhead, and Tosche Station are with respect to each other, we are forced to assume that camera wipes and cuts can absorb anything from thousands of kilometers or just a couple meters. 

This has always been the case with Star Wars

3 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Already questioned it. 

There actually was an official one in the old EU book Kenobi, of course this is no longer canon so take it with a giant grain of salt

BELI5.jpg

The Book of Boba Fett 1x05 Return of the Mandalorian

I loved this episode of television!  One of the best episodes from either show so far.  It wasn't perfect, but it was just so well made, and so full of joy and fun, that the less than ideal elements don't even matter at all

It was so great spending so much time in a non-Tatooine location for the first half of the episode, and it was especially great that it was a brand new location, and even greater that the new location was realized so well!  I really liked the look of the ring world, especially cause I never would have guessed Star Wars would have gone in that direction after all I've ever seen it do is "this entire planet is this type of landscape you know from Earth", so it was just great to see something imaginative and different for a change!  The underground area where he hangs out with the other Mandalorians wasn't impressive or anything, but it wasn't boring either, it was pretty cool

The opening shot was so great, just seeing Mando silhouetted, from just the right angle so you think his beskar staff is Boba's missile.  Well-done fake-out!  The opening scene as a whole was one of the most bad-ass sequences of either show, and way above the level of violence shown in the movies or I'd expect from a Disney+ show - which was great!  The trek to find the Mandalorian hideout was cool too, as was his early conversations with The Armorer and stuff.  Excellent world building and exposition.  One thing I thought was strange was that he wanted to melt down his awesome beskar staff!!!  That was such a cool weapon to have, why get rid of it!?  He's probably gonna regret it later!  Of course, it's cute he wants to make a unique present for Grogru <3

It felt a bit abrupt to me that the other Mandalorian guy suddenly wanted to fight him for the saber, but whatever, I went with it.  However, the part immediately after where suddenly The Armorer that had been completely on his side asks him out of the blue if he's ever taken his helmet off, and that leads to his expulsion, was really weird.... but again, I just went with it.  Gotta move the story along somehow I guess....

The commercial flight to get from whatever planet that was to Tatooine was amusing.  Has there been commercial flights in Star Wars lore before?  I thought for sure the amount of time they dedicated to him having to put his weapons in the briefcase (pretty funny sequence btw) was going to be because afterwards, the darksaber was going to be missing, but nope... he just collects his stuff.  Huh.

I found it a bit odd when he shows up at Amy Sedaris's place, she seemed to have no idea why he was there.  I think it was meant to be played off as a joke, like her memory is bad, but I at first thought that she genuinely hadn't contacted him, and got the Naboo ship for her own reasons.  I guess it's ambiguous unless I missed something.

I really liked them working on rebuilding it together, the humor about her dating Jawas punctuated in made me laugh too.  The flight was really fun with really good special effects, though the confrontation with Rebel (wait.. they not Rebels, or Resistance... New Republic, right?) X-Wing pilots felt a bit shoehorned in.

So the final bit where he agrees to help Fennec and Boba for free was expected, but had the interesting wrinkle of him saying he was going to visit Grogru first, which I didn't see coming.  So now I really have no idea if Episodes 6 and 7 will go back to Boba and at some point Mando will just show up (presumably with Grogru in that mech droid bubble to save the day, or if Episode 6 will follow Mando to see Grogu, and then the Tatooine stuff will wrap up in Ep 7?  Who knows!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The commercial flight to get from whatever planet that was to Tatooine was amusing.  Has there been commercial flights in Star Wars lore before?

Didn’t Anakin and Padme take a commercial flight to Naboo in AOTC?

26 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Didn’t Anakin and Padme take a commercial flight to Naboo in AOTC?

Refugee transport, most likely commercial yes.

@JayAparrently the Armorer asked him the same helmet question in similar circumstances in Mando, I don't remember that.

@Jay If you step into dubious canonical waters, there's always Disney's Star Tours attraction. Actually, the design of the droids in this episode was taken directly from Captain Rex, and there was a PA announcement that was worded awfully close to a similar announcement from the ride. The latter could have been a coincidence.

23 hours ago, Datameister said:

Yeah, this is still my least favorite part of The Force Awakens

image.png

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This has always been the case with Star Wars

Yeah, isn't the one most famous example Revenge of the Sith where it might have taken place over weeks or months but felt like a Friday through Sunday?

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Boba handled this one better by making Fennec's seeker mapper video drone look and move not unlike it.

12 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Well, my least favorite part is Starkiller base. And, well, the First Order.

But if we're talking stupid Easter eggs I'll see your seeker and raise you "Hey look! He turned on the chess board! For NO reason!"

12 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Yeah, isn't the one most famous example Revenge of the Sith where it might have taken place over weeks or months but felt like a Friday through Sunday?

The Empire Strikes Back has this problem too. If you think about it, the stuff with Luke and Yoda very clearly takes place over several weeks or more, and if the Cloud City stuff lines up than that means the Han/Leia stuff has to be several weeks long too. Then you realize that they travelled to Bespin at sublight speeds due to the damaged hyperdrive. The film doesn't really imply it at all, but Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids had to have been stuck together on the ship for several weeks