The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

On 27/1/2022 at 8:14 PM, A. A. Ron said:

Skimming through reddit and this thread, I don't get all the love for Sedaris. I think she's terrible in this role. Her character is poorly written and acted and just doesn't feel like a real or likeable person at all.

The Office Reaction GIF

I'm surprised so many people can tolerate Peli as a character. Nothing about her makes any sense to me. She never left Tatooine, but can speak every language, and furthermore she knows everything about starships. Would you trust a mechanic who never drove on the highway? She just met frog lady 10 minutes ago, during which she apparently had a conversation about random people the frog husband knows/has seen before(?), then she vouches for frog lady on her own life. She forgot she sent Mando a message but remembers it seconds later. Are we supposed to see her as a bit of a shyster? She's deathly afraid of womp rats and doesn't look like she's had blaster training in her life, yet she survives in this abode of scum and villainy. Apparently she didn't do anything about the security of her hangar bay after Toro took her hostage. Her voice is shrill and she talks like a Star Wars or general sci-fi encyclopedia. Last but not least, she dates furries.

Is it that hard to write in this universe? If they're going for comedy, nothing about it seems funny to me.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well, my least favorite part is Starkiller base. And, well, the First Order.

But if we're talking stupid Easter eggs I'll see your seeker and raise you "Hey look! He turned on the chess board! For NO reason!"

Well, besides the slow emotional internal downfall the movie caused, yeah. 

Both examples are similar. I don't know why the ball one annoyed me more.

On 18/01/2022 at 10:07 PM, Jay said:

New posters

Reveal hidden contents

New posters

Spoiler

Cad fricking Bane! These series continues to pick the best content out of previous Star Wars properties. Whose next week cameo going to be? Emília Clarke? Harrison Ford? It can’t be only Pykes right?

This episode was amazing!! Star Wars at it's best.

Cobb Vant

Luke Skywalker

Grogu

Ahsoka Tano

Cad Bane

Pykes

Mando

Insane. It was soo good.

Give me those cool character posters!!

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This episode was amazing!! Star Wars at it's best.

Cobb Vant

Luke Skywalker

Grogu

Ahsoka Tano

Cad Bane

Pykes

Mando

Insane. It was soo good.

Give me those cool character posters!!

You know that your post appears in preview form and that just spoils everything even if people did not enter the thread?

Yep, I felt something a few times in this episode.

Also, this Shirley guy is a much more effective and Star Wars appropriate composer than Goransson, and this episode drove it home big time.

The only thing I can see them doing for the finale to top this is somehow work in a Han and Qi'ra reunion/showdown/whatever. Maybe they find themselves on the opposite end of the conflict. 

Also, Luke looked way better than he did at the end of Mando 2. There were still a bunch of rough parts, especially at the end, but overall it was very believable...it also helps that this feels like post-ROTJ Luke. 

Amazing episode on so many levels!

As others have said, Luke is much better here than in that last episode of MANDO (even though there are still elements of "uncanny valley", of course -- we're simply not there yet, technology-wise).

The music for the Luke/Grogu sequences was not great or anything, but its proximity to the Williams sound (even referencing some themes directly) just showcases how much the universe opens up with that kind of approach, as opposed to the usual Göransson nonsense. So more of that, please.

True, the narrative is a bit all over the place, but I love the gung ho approach. The show perfectly mixes old tropes and characters with new settings and situations. As I've said many times before, I'm into this for the experience, not the storytelling.

I don’t have much to add to the other comments here so far, I did really enjoy it even though clearly it had no idea where it was going and was only tangentially related to the main Boba Fett story.

The thing that kept running through my mind was imagining them all in the script meeting at the end of episode four thinking “well we’ve run out of ideas for Boba Fett, so… fuck this, let’s just do some Mandalorian episodes. The punters won’t care at this point. Especially if we shove in Luke and Grogu doing a reverse of the Luke and Yoda sequences from Empire...”

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The music for the Luke/Grogu sequences was not great or anything, but its proximity to the Williams sound (even referencing some themes directly) just showcases how much the universe opens up with that kind of approach, as opposed to the usual Göransson nonsense. So more of that, please.

I'd add to this, and meant to mention in my post, that the music almost had a Dantooine from Knight of the Old Republic style to it, which works really well too. 

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

You know that your post appears in preview form and that just spoils everything even if people did not enter the thread?

What do you mean exactly?

6 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

What do you mean exactly?

He means the Unread Content view shows the first few words of a post if set to Expanded instead of Collapsed. He just needs to change his settings. No one in this thread did anything wrong. 

You'll have to forgive me, good folks, as I've not watched a single nano-second of this show, but... there's an online campaign to get Bryce Dallas Howard her own series, after she guested on TBOBF.

I'm sure that this means something, to some people.

Oh-oh. I mean, if I wrote such an episode and spend the effort to bring back iconic characters like Luke and Asoka and even bring them together, I would think, I really have to write these fellows some great lines and really make something out of it. But this was so awfully trivial. The best appearance of the old characters had Cad Bane. By far. I mean, he just does his thing, quite one dimensional, but consequent.

The music in Episode 6 was the best of the show (but not a high bar). It didn't quite seem like Star Wars music to me. The parts with Grogu sounded more like Elder Scrolls music or something. I wanted to cry when Mando went back to Tatooine and the music did that three note "theme" again.

Yep. Luke looked amazing in this episode. I noticed them trying to keep it a wide shot when he was taking (that’s still the giveaway with de-aging. There’s so many nuances and muscles when a person speaks. They don’t quiiite have it yet.) Be he looked great. I’d say his face seemed more animated (in a good way) than the vocal performance lol. But if this is what they can do on a series, it gives me hope for the de-aged scenes of Ford in Indy 5.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

In some shots, you would say it was real, in others not so much, but real improvement fromnthe previous iteration

Agreed but of course it’s impossible to be that objective about it. I wonder how many people would realise if they weren’t already primed to be looking for any flaws that give it away knowing that it can’t be real? You’d need to show it to someone completely unfamiliar with Star Wars and Mark Hamill and see if they noticed anything. Without that it’s almost impossible not to see some defects. You can’t not look for them somehow!

Cad Bane looked kind of comical in the Clone Wars, but looks unsettling here - which is a good thing. 

The DeepLuke was better than the blurry original in The Mandalorian but still looked dead and artificial at times, and just like some DeepFake attempts, there is a weird angle that distorts the face slightly when Luke turns his head. Why is Luke still wearing his black robes anyway?

Another thing that was slightly off-putting was the forest location that looked like a botanical garden path carefully tended to and landscaped as a walking trail for elderly Chinese women. It wasn't nearly as interesting a location as Dagobah or even Ahch-To.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The DeepLuke was better than the blurry original in The Mandalorian but still looked dead and artificial at times

I think really that is to a certain degree because Luke has not much to say or express in that episode. Maybe really that Luke character that we left off at the end of episode 6 wasn't really much of an interesting character and I increasingly understand, why Rian Johnson turned him into that rancorous jerk to give him some kind of profile.

In TLJ we all felt Luke was wrong for leaving, together with Rey, and he had to prove it to her, us, and even himself, that he was right, until he realised he wasn't. I didn't feel he was a jerk there at all, just someone who really feels he and the ideals he inevitably represents are wrong for the world and even a blank slate would be better. Here on the other hand he's just a complete jerk who learned nothing from the past, constantly talking down to and putting pressure on a kid/baby.

I enjoyed this one a lot.  I interpret Luke as pretending to have more wisdom and experience than he does because he feels so much responsibility to rebuild the Jedi Order at this point in his life.  He's got a lifetime of mistakes to make before he's the man he is in the ST.  Ahsoka is clearly taking the approach of letting him make these mistakes, hoping that the experience of teaching Grogu will also teach him a lot.  I will be very curious to know more about what her deal is at this point when her spinoff series comes out.

I liked all the stuff with Cobb Vanth, and hey they finally succeeded at making Cad Bane cool.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

hey they finally succeeded at making Cad Bane cool.

How come finally succeed? He has been a very cool character in every CW episode that he has been. He even gets to use a lightsaber once!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I didn't feel he was a jerk there at all

Other than continuing that whole "Jedi can't have attachments" crap from the prequels. I haven't been reading the nuEU stuff, but has he cut himself off from Leia? Han?

Luke gets to stay with his family because they have the Force?

Just like last season I don't see "Mark Hamill from the 1980's". I see an actor who looks enough like Hamill to make me think they did a decent job recasting and then dubbed him with Hamill's voice.

This needed to be about 4 episodes ago: "Boba Fett is a cold blooded killer who worked with the Empire." I like the new guy. I just want to see more evidence that there used to be an old guy.

11 minutes ago, Tallguy said:
1 hour ago, Holko said:

I didn't feel he was a jerk there at all

Other than continuing that whole "Jedi can't have attachments" crap from the prequels. I haven't been reading the nuEU stuff, but has he cut himself off from Leia? Han?

Luke gets to stay with his family because they have the Force?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Here on the other hand he's just a complete jerk who learned nothing from the past

Can’t help but feel the reaction to Luke is TLJ 2.0 here - people expecting Luke to be a perfect character when instead he’s making mistakes.  I have serious doubts that anyone in this era has a ton of insight into the failings that led to the fall of the Jedi order, since first of all it’s hard to have that insight when you’re so close and second, almost all the people who WERE close are dead.  

I suspect that, whether it plays out in BOBF, Mando, or some other spin-off where it also feels a little bit out of place, that Luke will learn from this error and that his interactions with Grogu and Mando will lead him to improve as a new-era Jedi.

I had assumed last week that we wouldn’t return to the Luke/Grogu storyline in BOBF and obviously was wrong, so this week after Grogu is offered the choice, I’m predicting a second season in a row of “Luke saves the day at a dire time“ in the finale.  My other finale prediction, which wouldn’t have seemed far fetched for a show about Boba Fett a few weeks ago, is that Boba Fett will be in this one for more than 30 seconds.

The more I think about it, the more this series seems like a surprise season of Mando. It's even kind of in the title. Each episode is a chapter, so each season would be a book...and this book happens to be one that more heavily features Boba at first. Not really complaining; it's an interesting approach. I just wish everything before Mando returned had been...better.

For this episode, I agree that Luke looked a lot better than he did in his Mando cameo. This time around, it was the vocal "performance" (presumably a digital concoction like last time) that felt off more than anything. ROTJ Luke is stilted, but not that stilted.

I'm not a CW fan, but bringing in Cad Bane was smart. I wish they'd done it earlier on; he's a much more compelling baddie than the rather silly-looking Pyke Syndicate folks.

17 minutes ago, Datameister said:

The more I think about it, the more this series seems like a surprise season of Mando. It's even kind of in the title. Each episode is a chapter, so each season would be a book...and this book happens to be one that more heavily features Boba at first. Not really complaining; it's an interesting approach. I just wish everything before Mando returned had been...better.

Really it's just "this year's season of Star Wars" at this point.  We need a better term to encompass this particular Favreau/Filoni run of annual series set soon after ROTJ.  Simply saying The Mandalorian doesn't seem to cover it at this point IMO.

Either way, I continue to be very happy with where Star Wars is at post TROS.  Nothing's perfect, but I'm interested and having fun.

The Book of Boba Fett 1x06 From the Desert Comes a Stranger

Boy, I liked this!  It was cool to see the Marshall guy again - Timothy Olyphant is so watchable in roles like this!  What was the deal with the box the Pyke guy had containing sparkly dirt?  Was I supposed to know what this is?  It reminded me of DUNE

I was not expecting the bulk of the rest of the episode to be the Luke, Ashoka, and Grogu show, that was pretty cool.  The little spider robots building a temple was neat.  The effects for Luke were way better than the Mando season 2 finale.  But they used him so much here, I wondered about their desire to even have Luke be the Jedi that's training Grogru, instead of inventing a new Jedi character to do the same thing.  Anyway, half the time I felt like I was seeing Sebastian Stan in heavy makeup, and not a deepfaked Mark Hamill, which was weird.  The voice lines all SOUNDED good, but rarely did I believe I was watching the character say them (probably because they cut to wide shots most of the time he was talking).  Still, overall, I'd say the effects worked more often than they didn't.

I liked the way Ashoka broke down the options for Mando.... leaving the armor for Grogru without showing himself, to not distract Grogru from his teaching.  I'm not sure that I liked the ultimatum Luke gave to Grogru, though!  The whole thing about Jedi not being allowed to have attachments to others seems like such a weird Lucas Prequel idea that is kinda weird to me to keep coming back to.  But, maybe this is all just a setup for Luke realizing exactly that between now and his older self in the Disney movies.

I found the scene in Boba Fett's conference room prety funny, because I'm pretty sure Boba didn't even get any lines!  Or if he did, they were very slight.  It was cool that Mando went back to the Marshall to ask for help, and that the Marshall didn't immediately agree to do it.  That blue alien guy that showed up was pretty damn cool!  I could immediately tell it was a reference to some book/comic/cartoon I've never read/seen, but that didn't distract me from just thinking it was a cool scene.  I assume the Marshall is dead now, but I hope he's not!

The ending sure seems like they thought they had a compelling cliffhanger to end on, but it seems to obvious to me that during the big battle next week, just when it seems like they are going to lose, Grogru will show up wearing his armor to save the day.... but maybe I'm wrong and he'll choose the saber after all!  Speaking of that saber, how did Luke even get that?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Boy, I liked this!  It was cool to see the Marshall guy again - Timothy Olyphant is so watchable in roles like this!  What was the deal with the box the Pyke guy had containing sparkly dirt?  Was I supposed to know what this is?  It reminded me of DUNE

I was not expecting the bulk of the rest of the episode to be the Luke, Ashoka, and Grogu show, that was pretty cool.  The little spider robots building a temple was neat.  The effects for Luke were way better than the Mando season 2 finale.  But they used him so much here, I wondered about their desire to even have Luke be the Jedi that's training Grogru, instead of inventing a new Jedi character to do the same thing.  Anyway, half the time I felt like I was seeing Sebastian Stan in heavy makeup, and not a deepfaked Mark Hamill, which was weird.  The voice lines all SOUNDED good, but rarely did I believe I was watching the character say them (probably because they cut to wide shots most of the time he was talking).  Still, overall, I'd say the effects worked more often than they didn't.

I liked the way Ashoka broke down the options for Mando.... leaving the armor for Grogru without showing himself, to not distract Grogru from his teaching.  I'm not sure that I liked the ultimatum Luke gave to Grogru, though!  The whole thing about Jedi not being allowed to have attachments to others seems like such a weird Lucas Prequel idea that is kinda weird to me to keep coming back to.  But, maybe this is all just a setup for Luke realizing exactly that between now and his older self in the Disney movies.

I found the scene in Boba Fett's conference room prety funny, because I'm pretty sure Boba didn't even get any lines!  Or if he did, they were very slight.  It was cool that Mando went back to the Marshall to ask for help, and that the Marshall didn't immediately agree to do it.  That blue alien guy that showed up was pretty damn cool!  I could immediately tell it was a reference to some book/comic/cartoon I've never read/seen, but that didn't distract me from just thinking it was a cool scene.  I assume the Marshall is dead now, but I hope he's not!

The ending sure seems like they thought they had a compelling cliffhanger to end on, but it seems to obvious to me that during the big battle next week, just when it seems like they are going to lose, Grogru will show up wearing his armor to save the day.... but maybe I'm wrong and he'll choose the saber after all!  Speaking of that saber, how did Luke even get that?

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

That is spice.. it is what the pykes were Trainspotting in the train a few episodes back. It is a drug in the SW universe and it has made some appearances in Clone Wars.

I don't like about the Mandalorian as he was introduced as such a tough guy, how he frequently just does what people tell him to do (or does not what he wants because some people just ask him not to do it).