The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

6 minutes ago, saulocf said:

That is spice.. it is what the pykes were Trainspotting in the train a few episodes back. It is a drug in the SW universe and it has made some appearances in Clone Wars.

Why would they name a drug in the SW universe the exact same name a drug has in DUNE, and even make it look the same?  Seems foolish.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Speaking of that saber, how did Luke even get that?

That saber got destroyed in one of the canon Darth Vader comics. So, in my view the story group fucked this up or Luke is lying to impress Grogu.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't like about the Mandalorian as he was introduced as such a tough guy, how he frequently just does what people tell him to do (or does not what he wants because some people just ask him not to do it).

Grogru melted his cold steel heart

Olyphant did great work this week!  Look at the subtle way his face moves when the deputy bursts out of the door during the standoff, the moment he knows it’s going to go south - and then the resignation to that fact.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would they name a drug in the SW universe the exact same name a drug has in DUNE, and even make it look the same?  Seems foolish.

They = George Lucas in this instance btw.  Ask him!

I remember Threepio saying "We'll be sent to the Spice Mines of Kessel, smashed into who-knows-what!" in the original film, but do not remember Spice being depicted as sparkly sand (exactly what it looked like in the Dune movie I watched the other month) until now.  Was that Lucas's intention too, or an invention of cartoon writers?

Just now, Jay said:

I remember Threepio saying "We'll be sent to the Spice Mines of Kessel, smashed into who-knows-what!" in the original film, but do not remember Spice being depicted as sparkly sand (exactly what it looked like in the Dune movie I watched the other month) until now.  Was that Lucas's intention too, or an invention of cartoon writers?

I don't know about the physical depiction of it, but my understanding is that at some point (not sure when) it definitely was Lucas' idea that it's a drug.

Just now, mstrox said:

Just rewatched that desert standoff, and Olyphant definitely takes it in the shoulder, btw!

I hope he's still alive!

Just now, Jay said:

I hope he's still alive!

Oh for sure he is and the Cad Bane standoff is obviously the impetus for Freetown to join the fight, realizing it's not just other people's problem.

Lucas was hands-on enough in Clone Wars to consider it canon, unlike the books, comics, video games, etc.  So I’d imagine if it was depicted on that show pre-sale (no clue), he’d have been okay with it.  Can’t remember if this is the first time we’ve seen it in live action or if we see any spice in the Kessel mines in Solo.  Were they mining space or that unobtainium jet fuel?  Can’t remember now!  

I made the Star Wars spice connection with Dune since I first saw the Lynch movie as a kid, but don’t really care at all about Dune so the similarity never bothered me.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

putting pressure on a kid/baby.

putting pressure? He is making a flying drone shoot the kid with lazers so that the kid has no other choice but to do sommersaults if it doesn't want to get hit

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Mandoverse

Obviously I feel pretty much exactly the opposite of you on all this but as an answer to my searching for a better name on the previous page:

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Really it's just "this year's season of Star Wars" at this point.  We need a better term to encompass this particular Favreau/Filoni run of annual series set soon after ROTJ.  Simply saying The Mandalorian doesn't seem to cover it at this point IMO.

Mandoverse isn't the worst option, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The more they insist on interconnectedness and constant crossovers, the more these characters' individual stories (which are far more interesting on their own) are interrupted for the sake of forcing fan favourites into the same frame.

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpe

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Here on the other hand he's just a complete jerk who learned nothing from the past

Whoops. Got that backwards. I, too, am a defender of cranky old Luke in TLJ.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You know how a few months ago people kept going on about how much George stole from Dune? This is one of those things. (Although it was never seen until Clone Wars, I guess.)

8 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Shamook was definitely the right hire for this. What a success story!

I'm curious if he even worked on this at all... I went through the IMDB visual effects credits (and there's a ton!) only 2 facial capture people from what I could tell, and they definitely weren't him as they've both been ILM employees for decades. There are a couple "uncredited" staff members as well, so this is definitely a complete list of everyone that was involved.

I forgot to mention how bizarre and silly it was when Mando arrived at Boba Fett's meeting and seeing that biker gang standing around and I remember thinking  how low Fett had stooped in order to have these kids involved.

But I like Sophie Thatcher: 

boba-fett-drash-sophie-thatcher-4.jpg

He was introduced as someone whose creed and profession called for him to do tough guy things. I'm cool with the shows excavating more prosocial sides of his character, particularly because they've done so in a way that's compelling and believable - not sudden like with Boba's 180.

Yeah, the show is weirdly showing uninteresting things like droids building a stone hut or repairing a Naboo fighter and meanwhile having uninteresting conversations. But hey, they are wearing Star Wars costumes, fly Star Wars spaceships and hey, actual Star Wars characters show up and... say uninteresting things.

It's funny, I've seen people complain that the show spends weird amounts of time on things like modding Fennec, the droids building the huts, etc. which are all things I enjoyed immensely.  I love the weird little corners as much as or more than the big dramatic stuff.

Anyway, a question for people who enjoy the animated shows: is there some special significance to Ahsoka saying "So much like your father" specifically after Luke says "I wonder if his heart in it" about Grogu training?  I definitely understand making reference to the fact that Ahsoka spent so much time with Anakin, but it didn't make much sense to me to follow that line in particular.

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyway, a question for people who enjoy the animated shows: is there some special significance to Ahsoka saying "So much like your father" specifically after Luke says "I wonder if his heart in it" about Grogu training?  I definitely understand making reference to the fact that Ahsoka spent so much time with Anakin, but it didn't make much sense to me to follow that line in particular.

I didn't get the exact reference, as I've only seen through the animated shows once -- awhile back -- but I felt it was enough to know that Ashoka was Anakin's padawan.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’ve watched all the animated series and don’t know how Luke’s specific line led her to comment that, but I just assumed she was referencing being around him generally, etc.

Yeah, that's what was my takeaway too. Waiting for the hardcore STAR WARS nerds to chime in. :)

By the way, Luke's Jedi training sucks. "Well, you think, you can't jump? Let's see how you can jump if I send a shooting training drone after you." It immediately reminded me of these bad guys from Western films with a gun in their hand and making people jump around by shooting at their feet, laughing and screaming "Let's see how you can dance. Dance! Dance!! Dance!!!"

So I learned that Luke and Grogu made it to the Book of Boba Fett...

Finally, Disney wants to make sure you watch ALL of their Star Wars series, making them all related and featuring as "guest stars" all the same 2-3 main characters.

My little finger says to me a younger Grogu will be in the Obi Wan series too... Why not?

Fanboys material.

PS: Now I'm sure Grogu is still alive at the time of the latest trilogy. He's the future of Disney.

Is there controversy among fans about Dawson’s Ahsoka not having taller peaks on her head?  Like isn’t the idea that they were short in TCW because she was young and that they would grow?

I really can't get into Ahsoka being Rosario Dawson. It's not even an ethnicity thing like some people claim people's problems are.

The cartoon version had a youthful girlishness to her even when she's older like in Rebels, so it's not like they just recast her because she's older now.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is there controversy among fans about Dawson’s Ahsoka not having taller peaks on her head?  Like isn’t the idea that they were short in TCW because she was young and that they would grow?

Yes people were upset about that when Mando S2 came out, my understanding is that they tried to make them long like they're supposed to be and it didn't work practically do to the lightsaber stunts they wanted to do.

In fact here's it directly from the mouth of the costume designer:

On 03/02/2022 at 11:37 AM, Jay said:

https://historyofyesterday.com/when-frank-herbert-saw-star-wars-85156b40b243

Ahsoka: It's a different actress playing the part. I'm so OK with this. (I'll be less so if she's the only voice actress who doesn't get to show up in live action. I guess right now it's Ahsoka vs. Bo-Katan, right?)

We'll see what happens in her show. She should be kind of close to the Ahsoka we saw in Rebels. What we've seen in the Mando shows is she's a little damaged, hesitant to get close to the whole Force gig. That tracks.

I wanted them to recast Leia so that the character could have the proper ending she was meant to have. I want them to recast Luke so we aren't talking about special effects when we should be talking about story. I want them to recast T'challa because the part should be bigger than the actor.

46 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Ahsoka: It's a different actress playing the part. I'm so OK with this. (I'll be less so if she's the only voice actress who doesn't get to show up in live action. I guess right now it's Ahsoka vs. Bo-Katan, right?)

Thrawn voice actor will reprise his role on live action.. but it will not be the case for Ezra’s.

3 hours ago, saulocf said:

Thrawn voice actor will reprise his role on live action.. but it will not be the case for Ezra’s.

That has not been announced. Although it would be amazing.

And the character of Sabine has been cast in live action. And don't be surprised if Mary Elizabeth Winstead is Hera.

And I think Mena Massoud would be a good fit for Ezra. Now that he's older.

Nah, I thought it was great. Just the right amount of action-filled 'battle' finale setpieces you'd expect from this high quality show. Great to see those spidery machine gun thingies from the prequels make a return -- far stronger now than what they often were in those films.

I have mixxed feelings. Definately rodriguez doesnt do action very well.

Spoiler

Anyway is it intentional that they make Luke look like a jerk?

Who in his senses would send grogu alone, without even calling the mandalorian to meet him at the landing platform.?

I expected luke saving the day and giving grogu to mando...but he would be becoming a little like the lotr eagles... And i supose they spared serveral millions without luke....