The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ Series)

Jay

That was so thoroughly eh. Rodriguez's action sucks, it's 90% completely fake useless stakes manufactured by making everyone dumb and pulling characters out of a scene then putting them back in when he can't figure out what else to do to save everyone. These people don't have chemistry, we don't feel any of their motivations (maybe besides the Freetowners), it's not particularly good-looking or sounding, it's just... and to make Mando S2 worthless just for this? Bleh!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

That was so thoroughly eh. Rodriguez's action sucks, it's 90% completely fake useless stakes manufactured by making everyone dumb and pulling characters out of a scene then putting them back in when he can't figure out what else to do to save everyone. These people don't have chemistry, we don't feel any of their motivations (maybe besides the Freetowners), it's not particularly good-looking or sounding, it's just... and to make Mando S2 worthless just for this? Bleh!

I agree completely. These ridiculous shoot outs in the street, where the heros stand in the middle of the street, no cover nobody is hitting them. Villans leave their cover for no reason than to get killed. Also how these high tech laser weapons managed just to make these tiny holes into the wall after shooting on it for about half an hour. 

This was so bad. This might have been funny in El Mariachi. But in Star Wars and without all the blood it is not.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Enjoyed the finale a lot!  My whole family had a great time watching.

And that's what I can say. I know where things were a mess. (Why on earth does Fennec Shand kill all of the Pykes instead of Fett?)

You know the one moment that worked gangbusters for me? Was when Djaren went to ride the rancor. I thought "Hey, everyone with a bucket gets to ride this thing now?" And whoooops! Nope. That's a Fett only ride, thank you.

Chekov's Ranchor was nice too.

I know I enjoyed it. I'm just not sure if I enjoyed it less because it just wasn't the show I was expecting.

10 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Solo was meh-er for me. This had good moments, but it was overall more frustrating than Solo. I still don't feel like the real Bona Fett ever made an appearance in the show.

This show makes Solo feel like essential canon by comparison.  Solo at least had great music and a decent enough plot twist (the bad guys are the good guys).  The music in this show is probably as non-descript as SW has gotten (not the worst but the least remarkable beyond the end titles)

Finished it. Umm…fun moments. Didn’t super care about what was occurring at the end. Confirms my fears that Robert Rodriguez has been the weakest director in this series sadly. So so flat. And yet exciting things were happening. And I didn’t feel a thing.

You can watch the two Mando-centric episodes and the last scene of Din flying away with Grugo and you have enough info to start Mando season 3. 

Rancor was cool. Glad they delivered on that promise. Cad Bane showdown im sure will be more impactful after I finished watching all his Clone Wars episodes. 

Got a big smile from the end credits w/lyrics this time “FETT!!…” 😆

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Here's what should've happened:

• Keep Mando and his storyline out of BoBF. It majorly sidelined any focus on Boba towards the Mandalorian. What's strange is how what we're seeing of Mando's story is almost entirely related to his past series and should've been saved for Season 3. 

• Cad Bane is introduced or teased earlier and is the main antagonist of Boba throughout the season. Bane was a mentor of sorts to Boba for a time and in the second episode of his return, he gets killed off?!?!? What a waste!

• Ditch the awful biker gang. They are completely and utterly inappropriate for this show and how they relate to Boba. They don't seem to fit with the established aesthetic of Tatooine. Their power ranger bikes are ridiculous.

• Cobb Vanth and Boba Fett interact, Vanth tests Boba to see if he is worthy of the armour. The two become friends. Why waste a good character and the history of them both sharing the armour?

• Boba Fett, not Fennec Shand, kills the remaining Pyke syndicate as revenge for their slaughter of the Tuskens! Why do we get a hurried scene of Fennec killing them? It's shit.

I would also like to add that I haven't seen the ruthluss bounty hunter he was in the original trilogy. It would have been great to see him getting some sort of revenge on Luke & Han. That could have been cool.

At least let him fight and make the decisions. Now Fennec took over most of the decision making and stuff. And it felt a bit like they didn't know what to do with both these characters as leading roles.

For me this was kind of a confirmation that not all supporting characters should have a big leading story. Looking back, I would have preferred to have Boba & Fennec show up in other Star Wars scores as supporting characters like in Mando 2. They both made a much bigger impact there.

Then get Krrsantan and put him in a Mandalorian or Obi-Wan episode as a villain. Now he's was kinda waisted as well.

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I kinda thought Jabba's palace was far enough away that it would take more than a couple of minutes to go get the Rancor. Even if they he could jet pack there quickly, the Rancor would still need to run a far away across the desert.

I didn't have a problem with that, I had a problem with him needing so much bloody time to remember that he has a rancor. Why wasn't it already part of the plan? And why why why why is the rancor again just throwing these droids around then waiting for them to get up and shoot him, instead of stomping on them, tearing them apart, whatever? Why is Mando just standing on top of the droid waiting for it to shoot the rancor and then starting to slice it up randomly instead of going for the brains?

1 hour ago, Arpy said:
  • Cad Bane is introduced or teased earlier and is the main antagonist of Boba throughout the season. Bane was a mentor of sorts to Boba for a time and in the second episode of his return, he gets killed off?!?!? What a waste!

I doubt he was actually killed. Notice the thing on his chest "beeping" in that overhead shot, as if to signal some sort of life remaining. I have feeling we'll see more of him.

Again, I'm struck by the nitpicking and negativity here. It's fine -- we all have different taste -- but I do wonder if my enthusiasm must stem from a completely different approach to this series than most others. Perhaps something to do with the 'experience' approach to it all rather than 'storytelling'. In any case, loved the show through and through, and look forward to more seasons!

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I doubt he was actually killed. Notice the thing on his chest "beeping" in that overhead shot, as if to signal some sort of life remaining. I have feeling we'll see more of him.

Again, I'm struck by the nitpicking and negativity here. It's fine -- we all have different taste -- but I do wonder if my enthusiasm must stem from a completely different approach to this series than most others. Perhaps something to do with the 'experience' approach to it all rather than 'storytelling'. In any case, loved the show through and through, and look forward to more seasons!

Cad Bane is not dead. He is one of the most popular Star Wars villains at the moment. They wouldn't really kill him off after finally being brought into live action.

I did enjoy the show for what it was. But I do think they could have done more with it. It's not like I have the urge to watch it again because things stood out

@Thor I guess it's more like after having invested time into this franchise, across multiple series, formats, books etc. that the storytelling is a huge part of the 'experience' - and the storytelling in this series is haphazard at best, lazy at its worst. 

That's not to say there aren't some truly great moments in the show, and I've appreciated the fact that we get to see some more facets of the Star Wars universe and with more attention to detail (through art direction, props, costumes, puppetry...).

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

(Why on earth does Fennec Shand kill all of the Pykes instead of Fett?)

8 hours ago, Datameister said:

I still don't feel like the real Bona Fett ever made an appearance in the show.

The funny thing is these are all similar complaints people had with the Disney trilogy. The only difference is people actually like the strong female character they invented to overshadow the legendary character this time.

This was terrific fun.  Perfect?  Nah.  But I think with some of the nitpicking, we're not seeing the forest through the trees.  A decade ago, we couldn't even dream that a Star Wars Television show would even be possible.  Now, they are modestly pushing special effects technology that would typically be reserved for the large cinema screen.  Seeing two Boba and Mando back to back in a 70s Marvel style comic book shootout was just irresistible.

You just have to let the Force flow and become about 10 years old when you press play.

And there's no way Cad Bane is dead.

And boy, did I get a giddy laugh at the overlay "Boba FETT!" vocals on the End Credits.... not since Robocop 2 have we had such unabashed character name choir.  And yet... it was there all along, they just spelled it out for us this time.

Just now, Hedji said:

But I think with some of the nitpicking, we're not seeing the forest through the trees.  

There is no forest, that's why the trees stand out.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

The funny thing is these are all similar complaints people had with the Disney trilogy. The only difference is people actually like the strong female character they invented to overshadow the legendary character this time.

Not so for me; I totally bought into the continuations of Han, Luke, and Leia's stories, and I also really liked Rey, at least in TFA. It's just that each film in that trilogy tries to pull things in a different direction, and the whole thing comes apart as a result.

I would have been totally cool with Boba's character ending up the way he did if the journey made sense. But this series presents him as a totally different guy from the moment he emerges from the sarlacc. For all the series' other flaws, that's the one that's really irritating me now.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

It's not like she stepped in and had the Hero moment, or the show became about her. It's foreshadowed "If Fett finds out about the pykes there will be terrible trouble." Then Bane drops the news on Fett just to cause trouble. And the result of all of this is... nothing.

Shand doesn't gain anything from the audience. It doesn't elevate her in any way or cause her to overshadow Fett. It's barely wrapping up a loose end.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

We thought the ticking was a countdown to a self destruct. 

What an awful, awful show, there are so many bad moments that they’re just too many to count.

From the blue cowboy-man who only has one expression and is extremely pointless, to Boba’s knee gun, to his gang looking like background dancers from Barbarella The Musical.

Of course, the biggest culprit is the script. Boring story and uninteresting characters who have no development within the show at all.

On 11/02/2022 at 12:51 AM, Hedji said:

This was terrific fun.  Perfect?  Nah.  But I think with some of the nitpicking, we're not seeing the forest through the trees.  A decade ago, we couldn't even dream that a Star Wars Television show would even be possible.  Now, they are modestly pushing special effects technology that would typically be reserved for the large cinema screen.  Seeing two Boba and Mando back to back in a 70s Marvel style comic book shootout was just irresistible.

You just have to let the Force flow and become about 10 years old when you press play.

And there's no way Cad Bane is dead.

And boy, did I get a giddy laugh at the overlay "Boba FETT!" vocals on the End Credits.... not since Robocop 2 have we had such unabashed character name choir.  And yet... it was there all along, they just spelled it out for us this time.

This is the exact kind of attitude towards these things that I can't abide by.

Many of the things brought up as issues here pertain to the show as a whole and have wide-reaching consequences. To call it 'nitpicking' is unhelpful and dismissive.

There have been two seasons of a live action Star Wars show now. This is the second of its kind, the lustre has worn off. Some of the special effects are impressive, yes, but that doesn't excuse the special effects that take you out of it, and all other elements of the film-making that are quite lacking.

You know what would make me feel 10 years old again? Star Wars getting the writing attention it used to in the Original Trilogy and many of the EU works. The current state of Star Wars in that regard is pitiful, and complacency or worse, praise of it, is only going to contribute to it being that way for a long time to come.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

The more I think about it, the more unimpressed with this show I am. It's no Mando. Except...you know...when it's Mando.

Well it was what I meant earlier by saying we assist to the "Maverl-isation" of Star Wars, each main characters will finish to appear "as guest stars" (and well, a bit more than that sometimes) in each other shows.

On a marketing level that's a genius approach to compete with Marvel movies. Does Dr. Strange is now a part of the Spider-Man universe in the last movie?, etc, etc.

I'm not a fan of the Marvel Universe, but I believe they started to play with "alternate realities" too, ohhhh, that's very usefull!!!

But you can't do that in Star Wars, the "canon" timeline is straight forward (for now!), so it's tricky for Disney... and fans have high expectations regarding the treatment of each character's background and true nature.

So ok, give the fans all the crazy "fan material" they ask, do it, but at least, stay true to the characters they know...

Clearly this series didn't show "THE" Boba Fett fans where expecting...

For me, well... he's still an insignificant character in the Star Wars Universe, as he always was. This (mini) series proved me right!

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

The current state of Star Wars in that regard is pitiful, and complacency or worse, praise of it, is only going to contribute to it being that way for a long time to come.

Agreed. 

Has something happened that I'm not aware of? For the first few pages of this thread, there were deconstructions that pointed out both positive and negative things, but now I'm reading stuff like "awful", "shit" and "pitiful"?!? Really?

I think the Boba Series ended like if it was The Mando series instead...

Maybe some drunk guy at Disney picked the scenario of a Mando Episode and put it in the wrong pile... Errors happens!

There really wasn’t anything in the finale I didn’t enjoy.  It was just fun.  Incredibly well directed?  Artful?  Nah, just a good time.

And yeah, I guess I’m one of the unwashed rabble that just likes interconnected universe stuff. 

I don't know really what to say.  I just enjoy most Star Wars entertainment for whatever reason.  I watch it, I enjoy it, I think about it a little bit afterwards, and then I look forward to more.  

I guess if I didn't like it, I would stop watching it, as I've done with a bunch of the Marvel properties, like WandaVision and Loki.  (Hawkeye was good).  Same with Star Trek Discovery.

So, maybe if it's not enjoyable, find something you do like.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Has something happened that I'm not aware of? For the first few pages of this thread, there were deconstructions that pointed out both positive and negative things, but now I'm reading stuff like "awful", "shit" and "pitiful"?!? Really?

While I haven't used those words, I'll say that my overall view of the show was more optimistic while there were still more episodes to go. I still had some hope that it would all somehow come together in a really great way. For me, that didn't end up happening. In retrospect the show feels like a hodgepodge of quasi-related elements, some of which were pretty cool but none of which involved a character recognizable as Boba Fett. I still have no idea why he miraculously transformed from a disintegration-prone bounty hunter and Imperial collaborator into a benevolent protector of the planet where one of his old bosses was headquartered. He emerged from the sarlacc as a changed man, which would be totally cool if they'd connected the dots in a way that made sense. For me they didn't.

Same, except I don't care about Boba not being who he was before - my problem is I still have no idea who he is, what he is, why, where is he going now and how. He spent most of this show doing nothing, remembering how he got here to do nothing, and not even being in it. It had promising parts but ended up being nothing more than a colossal mess with nothing to tie it together or make us care about any of it, even bringing down characters and storylines outside it.